IGNORED

Larissa and Ian's Book - Review, Quotes and Questions

Mela99

Mela99, did she go into the competency hearing before the judge at all?

Someone very close to the situation had very real concerns to force the competency hearing. I'm not in the conspiracy theorist camp that says the judge ruled that Ian was competent to consent to marriage because he had connections to Ian's family. You never know which way a judge will jump in a competency case.

As to the rest, this story is dreadful. Steve sounds like a manipulative jackass even on his deathbed. Healthy Ian sounds crass to almost the point of being abusive. He actually sounds like a pleasanter person post TBI.

Wrapping up this tragic situation in pretty paper all tied up with a "Christian" bow on top is vile. Poor Larissa. She is trapped.

No, she didn't touch on it at all. It's never mentioned. The only hurdle she ever saw was whether or not Ian could talk to her. She let family comments and thoughts roll right off her back.

My thought -- I haven't passed the bar yet so I can't attest to it -- but Ian had a social worker in the hospital, he likely still has one, and I'm of the belief that s/he would be obligated to bring it before the judge.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought the ebook version after getting internet access at my new apartment. I'd been following this thread on my phone since it was posted and was eager to read the book for myself. I started after I got home from work tonight and am currently bogged down at 20%, right at the bit where Larissa tells Ian that they chose to keep him on life support.

I've read A LOT of depressing books. I mean, hell, I've read the Moody series. This is by far the bleakest thing I've read in a long, long time. Basically, all my thoughts echo those of previous posters who think healthy Ian sounds like a dick, his dad* sounds like a bigger dick, and poor Larissa sounds trapped and despondent. I always finish the books I start, but I think I have to quit this one. I'm honestly going to have difficulty sleeping. I cannot imagine Larissa's life.

*What is the deal with fundie dads named Steve?!

• 3 years later...
On 9/16/2014 at 3:29 PM, salex said:

Wow. Thanks for the report.

Poor Larissa got caught up in a cult and couldn't escape, even when her better judgement was telling her she should.

Ian sounds creepy and culty before the accident. I would have dumped any man who cried about choices I made before him--- and I am old and married young and didn't make much in the way of choices before my husband-- but even at 19, I'd have ditched any man who tried to play up my sinfulness.

I pity her more after your review, and Ian as well.

So sorry that I came across this response. I pity you, salex. You clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. 

In case you hadn't noticed this thread is more than three years old and the poster you referenced is no longer active. Not that you care probably, busy as you are trying to rile up people, but I fear this one won't answer.

9 minutes ago, Joplin4206 said:

So sorry that I came across this response. I pity you, salex. You clearly have no idea what you’re talking about. 

I know what it's like to have FJ snark on people you know and for FJ members to get the wrong impression about those people, so I'm actually pretty sympathetic to people who come here upset with FJ for that reason, but there's no need to be as rude as you're being. And when you put your life out for public consumption, as Larissa once did, you can't be mad that people are discussing it. Some of those people are also going to be wrong about their assumptions. That's just what happens.

Beyond all that, though, do you realize that you're actually drawing more attention to Ian and Larissa? Before you started posting no one on FJ had talked about them for a year and most of us had forgotten about them. I really do understand being upset when you think people are saying inaccurate things about someone you know, but you're actually making your perceived problem worse.

(And personally, I've decided that it's best to stay out of the discussion altogether when people start discussing people you know. It can get too frustrating otherwise.)

Thanks for your understanding. I am aware these posts are from the past, but that does not make them any less upsetting to the couple as they read them. 

That was great advice @Rachel333.  If our new friend here had been a little nicer and wasn't necroing threads that are ancient, I probably would have let it slide, but since they are not doing those things, please enjoy the new Ian and Larissa discussion thread in Snark.

They are so keen to tell us how wrong we are, let's do it in a current thread :)

Thank you. Not trying to rile. Just trying to stick up for a couple that I care about who recently came across this forum. 

1 minute ago, Joplin4206 said:

Thanks for your understanding. I am aware these posts are from the past, but that does not make them any less upsetting to the couple as they read them. 

They probably should have thought about that before putting their lives out for public consumption on the WORLD WIDE WEB.    That horse has long left the barn.  There is a new discussion thread on them in our main area now that you have revived these threads.

Kudos!

Archived