IGNORED

Paul Arndt had an awesome 34th birthday!

JenniferJuniper

I think for the Maxwells, the Arndts would be an upgrade in lifestyle. The Arndts eat normally and are allowed to have fun. Weird fun, but fun. The Maxwells and Arndts are all into fitness, so there's that connection.

The Arndts are so immodest compared to the Maxwells, though. Watch their video where they go to Destin, Florida. So much chest hair exposed! Scandalous. Also, in the one about the family Christmas portrait (literally, an entire 20-minutes devoted to posing for a picture), we see Rick Arndt getting dressed -- boxer shorts, shirt unbuttoned -- ah!

Yes, I've watched many of their webisodes. Don't judge.

The Arndt boy-men might want to look into a polygamy situation where they would be brother-husbands to one wife. If they can find even one woman willing to marry into that creepiness, they are probably going to have to fight over her.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Arndt's completely creep me out. I just can't figure out if it's the Mom or the Dad who is pulling the strings. I can tell the Dad is an attention whore who loves to webcast. The Mom seems strange, but almost kind of nice. I would love to know what their extended families think about them keeping their sons as perpetual 11 year olds.

When you see a family that infantizes their kids for that long- I have to wonder if something happened in one of the parents upbringings? Maybe not to them directly, but to a close family member. Something that would make them feel it was so important to protect their kids innocence that they socially stunt them like that.

In think the speech issues are a part of them being fairly isolated as children. I've noticed that my own three (very not sedated) children have shared fairly distinctive speech patterns. The two oldest ones both lost them quite quickly when they started attending preschool (around 5.) The youngest isn't at that age yet but I think the same thing will happen with him.

I'm not any kind of expert but I think it's fairly common that children normalise their speech when they start spending a lot of time in a different social environment. I wonder if the patterns are more likely to become set in kids who spend most of their time in a family group. I also wonder if the patterns become more reinforced the more ppl are using them.

As for the saltpetre theory, I've long believed the parents have been mixing up 'special' powdered milk (a la Hephzibah House). Or something. I would be totally unsurprised at any rate.

I know that with multiples (especially when you start getting into triplets and quads), speech impediments become more common and harder to correct, because the kids are all so close and spend a lot of time together and pick up on each others' speech patterns. So I agree with your assertion that it's probably reinforced by their social isolation--I mean, do these young men even have many outside friends, or are they just hanging out with each other?

I know that with multiples (especially when you start getting into triplets and quads), speech impediments become more common and harder to correct, because the kids are all so close and spend a lot of time together and pick up on each others' speech patterns. So I agree with your assertion that it's probably reinforced by their social isolation--I mean, do these young men even have many outside friends, or are they just hanging out with each other?

They socialize more than the Maxwells. They work out at a YMCA on a regular basis, and play on several softball teams. They go to work at courthouses and also (non-fundie, strapless dress) weddings for the photography business, and the few parties they've thrown, there have been some other younger people there (not many women, but definitely some guys around their age who aren't close relatives). I remember seeing non-relatives at an end of season softball party they once threw as well as their parents' anniversary party over the summer.

There doesn't seem to be any fear of the outside world on their part. Which makes things even odder in a way.

In think the speech issues are a part of them being fairly isolated as children. I've noticed that my own three (very not sedated) children have shared fairly distinctive speech patterns. The two oldest ones both lost them quite quickly when they started attending preschool (around 5.) The youngest isn't at that age yet but I think the same thing will happen with him.

I'm not any kind of expert but I think it's fairly common that children normalise their speech when they start spending a lot of time in a different social environment. I wonder if the patterns are more likely to become set in kids who spend most of their time in a family group. I also wonder if the patterns become more reinforced the more ppl are using them.

As for the saltpetre theory, I've long believed the parents have been mixing up 'special' powdered milk (a la Hephzibah House). Or something. I would be totally unsurprised at any rate.

My husband is from New Zealand and we visit annually. My now seven year old has trace of his dad's accent even though he is well socialized around a variety of people with all sorts of regional US accents and even a number of friends with ESL parents. It is most pronounced with words like "bear" and "garage". I can totally understand why the ArndtBots have some sort of odd ArndtSpeak programmed into them. While they do get out and work, court reporting and photography and videography are not exactly professions that require a lot of gabbing with clients. Plus, they are superspecial. No doubt in my mind that has been drummed into them from birth.

i wonder if they've ever had fan families show up at the Softball Classic with eligible daughters. The way some families advertise their girls on blogs it wouldn't shock me if some had tried it.

I think it's very possible that fan families have attended with the hope that their daughters will attract one of the guys. IIRC, it was mentioned here sometime back that there was a young woman attending a past softball classic who was interested in one of Arndt sons but it was a "no go" (can't remember which one) and she eventually married someone else. Given their brainwashing, not surprised that the guys pass up opportunities like that. They probably get scared. However I suspect that the family's weirdness gets around and that's another reason that Princess Charming hasn't magically shown up.

Frankly, if one of my daughters had any dream of snagging an Arndt boy, I would not see it as a good thing. I would not want them to marry into such weirdness but then again, the brainwashing courtesy of Rick and Cathy would take care of the problem.

It's really hard to picture what type of woman would be attracted to an Arndt guy. They are too liberal for fundies, but too weird for mainstream people.

Okay, I had to google what happens to men when they eat saltpeter. Yikes. :shock:

Plus papa maxwell would be freaked out by the dancing, softball games, penguin worship and short shorts.

I wasn't the only one who thought of an Arndt/Maxwell courtship. :) She probably wouldn't know what to do with a man either. :shrug: But seeing Stevehovah's head explode would be worth the price of admission. :stir-pot: :popcorn2:

• 11 months later...

I know this is a dead thread. But i wanted to chime in as we are coming close to Paul's 35th birthday and another fun day starting out singing in mommy and daddy's bedroom.

First, the accents. Just a variation of a very strong upper Midwest accent, made stronger by some isolation. They are from Illinois so that makes sense. Here are a couple examples of similar accents from the region:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6hHasF4Ssy8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrf_SmrCU4s

As to the seeming placidity if these full grown men and the lack of any women or independence from family, in my opinion it is because they are simply hardcore nerds. Incredible nerds who are socially awkward when it comes to anything outside their softball and videography.

We all know people or knew people like this growing up. The difference is that many/most nerds go to public or

Private schools and then college where they can meet others. Or they engage in an online world that helps them to connect with others. And ultimately, they work in a job outside the family. That's when they typically are able to meet someone else and find a spouse.

These poor guys have none of that. Do they even go to church? Sing in a choir? Where they might be able to meet a nice, quiet girl and have a wedding night like this?: http://www.theonion.com/article/horribl ... -the--1614

I hope they're happy. Poor chaps. Because this is likely all they will ever have.

These poor guys have none of that. Do they even go to church? Sing in a choir? Where they might be able to meet a nice, quiet girl and have a wedding night like this?: http://www.theonion.com/article/horribl ... -the--1614

That was hysterical! Thank you! I have trouble imagining an Arndt manboy even getting that far, however. I really think they are all destined to stay at home (safely!) forever. Even if one ever did, I would think that mommy would go along on the honeymoon, plus a few brothers and penguins. One never knows when one might need to shoot a Vine Valley scene or two.

Paul is going to be 35 in a couple of weeks. Unbelievable.

I said this in another Arndt thread. There are so many things that taken singly don't seem weird. Lots of families have running jokes, like the penguins. Or maybe as adults they still sing a funny birthday song from childhood. Or they play softball together. It's just when you stack all these things together, it gets weird.

It's not necessarily weird for an adult man to reside with his parents. There are a lot of non-weird ways that could happen. But that many adult men, none who have ever moved out, still in their parents house for no apparent reason is weird.

They also have a way of making things sound weird. Going to your favorite burger place with your family on your birthday sounds pretty normal. But when they do it, it seems weird.

Archived