IGNORED

GOP Official: Sterilize Poor Women Who Get food stamps

doggie

This lunatic does not seem to understand people other then woman get food stamps and that to get some pathetic amount of money you have to be sterilized? and live in concentration camps? Plus all in the name of god no less. hard to find where you get sterilization and church approval.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/09/12 ... ell-audio/

As if the GOP war on women isn’t already bad enough, an Arizona conservative official is openly calling for sterilizing poor women.

During a radio broadcast this week, Arizona Republican Party vice-chairman Russell Pearce said poor women should be sterilized by force if they get government aid such as Medicaid and food stamps. The author of Arizona’s anti-immigrant “papers please†law called for the draconian policy as his way of “fixing†what he sees as a broken public assistance system.

According to Pearce, only people with jobs should have the right to have children, but considering that even people with jobs have Medicaid, Pearce must have been talking about people with well-paying jobs.

You put me in charge of Medicaid, the first thing I’d do is get Norplant, birth-control implants, or tubal ligations. Then we’ll test recipients for drugs and alcohol, and if you want to [reproduce] or use drugs or alcohol, then get a job.

Keep in mind, Pearce is saying this as his own party crusades against giving women better access to contraceptives that prevent pregnancy without permanently killing their ability to get pregnant in the future. This isn’t just a war on women, it’s a war on poor people and children.

Pearce also had strong opinions about how he would regulate food stamp recipients.

No cash for Ding Dongs and Ho Hos, you’d only get money for 15-pound bags of rice and beans, blocks of cheese and powdered milk – all the powdered milk you can haul away. If you want a steak or frozen pizza, then you’d have to get a job.

So according to Pearce, not only should the “small government†he advocates forever ban women of a certain income from reproducing, they should be forced to eat what the government tells them to eat, and the grocery list apparently can’t include real milk, fruits, or vegetables. You know, the kinds of foods that children need to have a healthy and balanced diet in order to support their development.

And Pearce wasn’t done yet. He also thinks low income women should be forced to live in military barracks-style housing and forced to endure spot inspections at any time that could result in being punished for simply not having the time to keep everything squeaky clean.

Ever live in a military barracks? You’ll maintain your property in a clean, good state of repair, and your home will be subjected to an inspection at any time, possessions will be inventoried. If you want a plasma TV or an X-Box 360, then get a job.

But Pearce didn’t stop there either. He would prohibit the government from even being involved in helping poor people. That, according to Pearce, is a role that should be reserved for the church.

I know there’s people out there [who] need help, and my heart goes out to them, too, but you know what? That should never be a government role. That’s a role for family, church, and community.

I am so sick of the "churches and communities" line. The only way any community could have adequate resources to take care of everyone in need would be--wait for it--tax dollars. Charity is not going to cut it. And poverty is often endemic in a particular community or area of a community--the poor can't feed the poor. That is pretty damn simple to figure out. The Depression kind of showed us how this works.

As for churches, yes, some churches do a good job providing help. But the problem is that too many of them do not do it without strings attached. Or they limit assistance to their own. There was a massive uproar when I taught at Christian school when the mess of lost and found stuff was donated to the Salvation Army one summer. Since the SA ran a thrift store, the people objecting were concerned that needy people who were not Christians (by their narrow definition, of course) might have access to the stuff. And we should only be helping needy Christians, no one else. We are supposed to trust assholes who believe that way with the task of providing for people living in poverty? I don't think so.

As for the sterilization thing, I guess at least the GOP's stand against contraception should shut that down. Unless they are worse hypocrites than we think. And they quite possibly are.

Or, in places where there is overwhelming need, the churches run out of resources just hours after they open the doors. In Flint Michigan, for example (where I used to live), it was nearly impossible to get the help the local churches had available unless you were able to show up and stand in line the day they were giving it out.

This whole line of reasoning in the OP is making me SO FRIGGING ANGRY.

:angry-banghead:

Or, in places where there is overwhelming need, the churches run out of resources just hours after they open the doors. In Flint Michigan, for example (where I used to live), it was nearly impossible to get the help the local churches had available unless you were able to show up and stand in line the day they were giving it out.

Exactly. In a place like that with economic difficulties, no one is going to have enough resources to care for everyone. It isn't rocket science to figure that out. And the percentage of the federal budget that provides assistance like food stamps is so small in comparison to the defense budget and other government costs, that it just makes me sick how successful the GOP has been since the Reagan era at getting the general public wound up about not wanting their taxes to go there--as if we would magically be able to eliminate all taxes if only we didn't help poor people have food. :angry-banghead:

I want to know what his plan is for the children this hypothetical woman already has? The younger ones are to be put up for adoption by Good Christian Families[tm][/tm] and the older ones are sent to newly built workhouses to earn their keep?

And what about poor men? I don't see him advocating forced vasectomies. Oh, that's right - it's a WOMAN"S fault if she gets pregnant. :x

So true. My Unitarian church does so much. Half of our weekly donations go to local good causes. Church attendees are also involved in notable charitable and social justice issues through their donations of money, time and skills that benefit so many people and not just those within the church.

But we can give only so much. Some of us with work, family, school, can give only so much of our time. Some people can only give so much of their money. And maybe we don't have a particular skill set a certain charity needs.

That's why so many of us don't gnash our teeth over paying taxes to provide a safety net towards others. And yes, lurking fundies, teabaggers and those who watch Fox News, libtard Unitarians pay taxes.

Ok. So they're against abortions and birth control, yet complain when women apply for public assistance. Can we say they're not pro life at all. And not only women get food stamps jerk. Women and men of all faiths, backgrounds, social classes get food stamps.

If the Republican party keeps this up they will become extinct. :doh:

This lunatic does not seem to understand people other then woman get food stamps and that to get some pathetic amount of money you have to be sterilized? and live in concentration camps? Plus all in the name of god no less. hard to find where you get sterilization and church approval.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/09/12 ... ell-audio/

As if the GOP war on women isn’t already bad enough, an Arizona conservative official is openly calling for sterilizing poor women.

During a radio broadcast this week, Arizona Republican Party vice-chairman Russell Pearce said poor women should be sterilized by force if they get government aid such as Medicaid and food stamps. The author of Arizona’s anti-immigrant “papers please†law called for the draconian policy as his way of “fixing†what he sees as a broken public assistance system.

According to Pearce, only people with jobs should have the right to have children, but considering that even people with jobs have Medicaid, Pearce must have been talking about people with well-paying jobs.

You put me in charge of Medicaid, the first thing I’d do is get Norplant, birth-control implants, or tubal ligations. Then we’ll test recipients for drugs and alcohol, and if you want to [reproduce] or use drugs or alcohol, then get a job.

Keep in mind, Pearce is saying this as his own party crusades against giving women better access to contraceptives that prevent pregnancy without permanently killing their ability to get pregnant in the future. This isn’t just a war on women, it’s a war on poor people and children.

Pearce also had strong opinions about how he would regulate food stamp recipients.

No cash for Ding Dongs and Ho Hos, you’d only get money for 15-pound bags of rice and beans, blocks of cheese and powdered milk – all the powdered milk you can haul away. If you want a steak or frozen pizza, then you’d have to get a job.

So according to Pearce, not only should the “small government†he advocates forever ban women of a certain income from reproducing, they should be forced to eat what the government tells them to eat, and the grocery list apparently can’t include real milk, fruits, or vegetables. You know, the kinds of foods that children need to have a healthy and balanced diet in order to support their development.

And Pearce wasn’t done yet. He also thinks low income women should be forced to live in military barracks-style housing and forced to endure spot inspections at any time that could result in being punished for simply not having the time to keep everything squeaky clean.

Ever live in a military barracks? You’ll maintain your property in a clean, good state of repair, and your home will be subjected to an inspection at any time, possessions will be inventoried. If you want a plasma TV or an X-Box 360, then get a job.

But Pearce didn’t stop there either. He would prohibit the government from even being involved in helping poor people. That, according to Pearce, is a role that should be reserved for the church.

I know there’s people out there [who] need help, and my heart goes out to them, too, but you know what? That should never be a government role. That’s a role for family, church, and community.

Birth-control implants, like ... IUDs? But Hobby Lobby says IUDs are bad!

this whole argument about the church should be doing it is so stupid and so ignorant. it was the catholic church that encouraged the government to take care of the poor in the first place. if you make 150,000 a year you pay about 45.00 towards welfare programs so thats so horrible? no the horrible part is christians don't get to control who gets the money and who does not. Plus we sure don' ned tees mega churches doing much they tend to spend 80 to 90% of their intake on running the church and paying the pastors.

This is one of those scenarios where he apparently thinks all other people's morals/honesty is as iffy as his own. (Project much??) From the article

When he’s not hosting his KKNT-AM program, Pearce helps promote the Elderly Assistance Fund in his taxpayer-paid position in the Maricopa County treasurer’s office.Pearce is paid $85,000 a year in that role, the newspaper reported, and he also draws a public pension from previous government work.
(In other words, he gives money to older poor people, and gets paid for it...) :think:

The newspaper previously reported that Pearce, who lost a 2011 recall election over ethics concerns and his sponsorship of the controversial anti-immigration law, claimed on his job application to his recent post that he attended graduate school at the University of Arizona – which said he had not.
:liar:

Pearce accepted but didn’t report nearly $40,000 in paid junkets and college football tickets from Fiesta Bowl officials while helping them receive state subsidies.
:shhh:

He also claims to have attended graduate school at Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government, although he apparently overstated his participation.

A Harvard spokesman told the newspaper Pearce had attended a three-week seminar there in 1996, but he never enrolled in the Kennedy School’s graduate program.

Pearce claimed the inaccuracies were the result of information that “was simply put in the wrong box.â€

:liar:

So he assumes dishonesty from others because he himself is dishonest.

this whole argument about the church should be doing it is so stupid and so ignorant. it was the catholic church that encouraged the government to take care of the poor in the first place. if you make 150,000 a year you pay about 45.00 towards welfare programs so thats so horrible? no the horrible part is christians don't get to control who gets the money and who does not. Plus we sure don' ned tees mega churches doing much they tend to spend 80 to 90% of their intake on running the church and paying the pastors.

Wait a minute, you don't think Mars Hill is spending all that money on feeding the poor and sheltering the homeless? Really? It's not like they have somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 million worth of property or Mark Driscoll lives in a million dollar house or they spend $250,000 at one shot on crap like getting his book on the NYT bestseller list... :snooty:

Oh, wait...

I am so sick of the "churches and communities" line. The only way any community could have adequate resources to take care of everyone in need would be--wait for it--tax dollars. Charity is not going to cut it. And poverty is often endemic in a particular community or area of a community--the poor can't feed the poor. That is pretty damn simple to figure out. The Depression kind of showed us how this works.

As for churches, yes, some churches do a good job providing help. But the problem is that too many of them do not do it without strings attached. Or they limit assistance to their own. There was a massive uproar when I taught at Christian school when the mess of lost and found stuff was donated to the Salvation Army one summer. Since the SA ran a thrift store, the people objecting were concerned that needy people who were not Christians (by their narrow definition, of course) might have access to the stuff. And we should only be helping needy Christians, no one else. We are supposed to trust assholes who believe that way with the task of providing for people living in poverty? I don't think so.

As for the sterilization thing, I guess at least the GOP's stand against contraception should shut that down. Unless they are worse hypocrites than we think. And they quite possibly are.

So basically the GOP line is to make the government like the church. :whistle:

Birth-control implants, like ... IUDs? But Hobby Lobby says IUDs are bad!

So bad that HL invests heavily in IUDs because of reasons!

Seriously. The Greenes are big investors in manufacturing the same IUDs they claim cause abortions every month.

We had to get food stamps for a while. We've also paid far more into the system than we received. So one of my kids shouldn't exist because my innards should have been ripped out for getting food stamps for a few months? Much you, Mr. GOPfucker.

If we're honest about this, and start sterilizing welfare recipients, then the RICH in this country need to get in line. The biggest recipients of welfare are corporations and the people who run them.

We had to get food stamps for a while. We've also paid far more into the system than we received. So one of my kids shouldn't exist because my innards should have been ripped out for getting food stamps for a few months? Much you, Mr. GOPfucker.

If we're honest about this, and start sterilizing welfare recipients, then the RICH in this country need to get in line. The biggest recipients of welfare are corporations and the people who run them.

plus drug testing. can you imagine how much more it would cost to do all the medical things and house people? of course the diet he suggests is horrible but we are not talking a brain surgeon here.

Does the author live in a cave? What he lists as egregious violations of his sister's privacy are actually normal events when renting.

Maintenance people have come in every single rental space I've ever lived in. They can't come only when I am home, because I am home when they are not at work. This isn't a creepy violation of privacy, Mr. Foster. It is also the law in my state for entry doors to have nonkeyed locks so that when the person is inside the home, the maintenance man or whoever else can't just stroll on in.

It is more common these days for candles to be forbidden due to the risk of fire. Some places do not even allow wickless candles such as Scentsy. The right to light candles is not a constitutional right.

Her 50 mile commute? Dang. Sorry dude but as a single mom let me just reassure you this is not martyrdom. She really truly cannot get a job within a decent distance of her home? How much quality of life are you giving a child when you leave extra early, get home extra late, and don't have the time to clean your home?

Sometimes certain kinds of employment are just realistically off-limits to a single custodial parent. I would never be able to take a job that requires overnight travel, just don't have the support system for it. I would not take a job with a 50 mile commute either. Is this realllllly truuuuuuly the only job Mr. Foster's sister can obtain, or is it a choice she's made ? Can't tell from the article.

Yep, I rented a townhome in a low-income community while I was a full-time student. There was a garage. Part of the agreement was that the garage would not be used as a storage area but that there would always be space to fit a vehicle. Is this unreasonable? It never seemed unreasonable to me.

Sorry but that sister is not being bullied. But nice attempt to tug the heartstrings by claiming the little girl has to leave the only home she's ever known. When that is probably not the truth, and probably not accurate at all.

So the author has an axe to grind because sister doesn't have perfect freedom to do anything she pleases. Mhmm. Interesting.

Ok. So they're against abortions and birth control, yet complain when women apply for public assistance. Can we say they're not pro life at all. And not only women get food stamps jerk. Women and men of all faiths, backgrounds, social classes get food stamps.

If the Republican party keeps this up they will become extinct. :doh:

It can't happen soon enough. I'm so tired of ignorant, selfish, bigoted politicians.

plus drug testing. can you imagine how much more it would cost to do all the medical things and house people? of course the diet he suggests is horrible but we are not talking a brain surgeon here.

Drug-testing costs more than the amount saved by kicking people off. Also any druggie knows that only pot stays detectable for more than a day or two. Lay off the meth for 48 hours, and you'll pass. One hit of a joint your friend passed around a few weeks ago? You'll fail.

Drug-testing costs more than the amount saved by kicking people off. Also any druggie knows that only pot stays detectable for more than a day or two. Lay off the meth for 48 hours, and you'll pass. One hit of a joint your friend passed around a few weeks ago? You'll fail.

these idiots never think of the end results the legality the people the results the cost or much of anything else. they just love to spout off their hair brained idea's to make themselves look better or look more christian or more GOP or whatever.

we have seen this on the low end GOp'ers and the high end. none of them seem to be able to see what the results what the consequences of their actions will be. even the duggers want to end abortion but no clue what would happen then would be far worse.

these idiots never think of the end results the legality the people the results the cost or much of anything else. they just love to spout off their hair brained idea's to make themselves look better or look more christian or more GOP or whatever.

we have seen this on the low end GOp'ers and the high end. none of them seem to be able to see what the results what the consequences of their actions will be. even the duggers want to end abortion but no clue what would happen then would be far worse.

And that's exactly what's so scary about the republican party right now, and for years even. All the way back to the 2008 election. They're letting their spokespeople say ridiculous things that fall apart when anyone takes a closer look.

And that's exactly what's so scary about the republican party right now, and for years even. All the way back to the 2008 election. They're letting their spokespeople say ridiculous things that fall apart when anyone takes a closer look.
i think they do it to get the lunatic fringe vote. I mean who else besides the dugger types will vote for them?

What baffles me is that he doesn't seem to realise the consequences this could have. I could see someone falling on bad times and choosing to steal or take up less-than-legal occupations to get by, because losing fertility permanently as a result of a few hard months would make women extremely unlikely to actually use the legally available help..

Archived