IGNORED

How undereducated are Christian Fundie homeschoolers?

gustava

I am notmother-tongue English so I am probably not the best person to address this... but I do see a tendency among homeschooled fundies to have issues with spelling :shock:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the article doesn't mention, and what worries me, particularly with some of the families I've seen discussed on here, is the diminishing returns in the second generation.

That is, what happens when the inadequately educated go on to inadequately educate their own children? :think:

A couple years back-- I don't remember when exactly-- there was a discussion on here of a homeschoolng mother who despaired when faced with the state's 1st grade math curriculum. The mom couldn't understand the 1st grade math. :roll:

Then, IIRC, she realized the Bible doesn't mention math. It only mentions counting. Hallelujah! So all she really had to teach her daughter to do was count. Whew. :evil-eye:

If the daughter sticks with the program and goes on to homeschool her own brood, all she'll have is counting-skills-as-taught-by someone who can't understand 1st grade math.

Then her children will be learning to count from a woman who didn't even have a chance to try to understand 1st grade math. And so forth.

:penguin-no:

(Dang, I love these emoticons on here. This place has the best emoticons ever.)

Waaaay too many "experts" out there who have much to say but actually know very little about what actually is accomplished through homeschooling. *Generally speaking*, homeschooled children are adequately educated, effectively socialized, college prepared and colleged admitted (and actually choose to go, unlike the Duggars), and are contributing/participating members of their communities. If the article only looked at Fundie heavy homeschoolers (we are "fundie light" by FJ definition), then the "results" would be pretty void of wider interpretation.

We just enrolled our oldest in high school (freshman) this year, after 10 years of homeschooling. We are a few weeks from said child's first report card and there are 7 As and one B+ (3.857 gpa) so far. This child also has sports participation practice 5 nights a week and does not get home until 7 pm or later (plus Saturday practice). Our child has no study halls. Homework time is crunched, and still the grades are stable. We are not exceptional as a family, nor are we individually academically "gifted" either. We are very typical (in every way) of an average homeschool family. Our child is adjusting very well to the brick/mortar environment, both socially and academically. The "under-education" of homeschoolers (fundie or otherwise) is, in my experience, an over-perpetuated stereotype. Not sure how long it's going to take our culture to realize this.

The thing is, there is antidotal evidence for both the uneducated homeschoolers and doing just as well as everyone else homeschoolers, but there have been no real studies to show what the average homeschooler is like. Alabama shows that homeschoolers are performing slightly better than public schools but that the test scores are dropping every year for the last six years AND that there is a sizable chunk of homeschoolers in that state that do not comply with the testing laws and if they tested poorly it could drop the average scores down to performing worse than public schools.

Alaska studies in homeschooling have shown homeschoolers doing just as well or better than public school students, but most of the people in Alaska homeschool in a way that families in other states do not.

So in general no one actually knows how well the average homeschooler is doing because the laws for homeschooling are so slack.

I am notmother-tongue English so I am probably not the best person to address this... but I do see a tendency among homeschooled fundies to have issues with spelling :shock:

I think it is just a tendency across the board. We are spending so much time writing in text/twitter speak (I'm sure there's a word for this but I'm not sure what it is) that spelling and grammar just go by the wayside, IMO. I work in a graduate school and still shake my head over spelling. I try to believe that they were just in a hurry and didn't proof read. . .

Alabama has no standardized testing requirements for homeschoolers at all.

Alaska is an outlier in homeschooling due both to the geographical region which makes it hard for some families to get children TO school, thus increasing the incidence of homeschooling in general, and with the state funding of all homeschoolers, thus allowing even fundie and fundie-lite families to choose curriculum without funding being an issue.

Case in point to Alaska, one of the most popular curriculums for years in the state has been Calvert, because all of the materials necessary for the entire school year comes with the curriculum and saves on shipping. Calvert is a top-notch, long-standing curriculum put out by a private school in the DC area that started long before the modern homeschooling trends to cater to US Diplomats in areas where even international schools were not an option and private tutors were teaching children with the curriculum.

It is difficult to know how homeschoolers in general perform. Any studies or test would have a basis automatically, as those who do more to be dedicated to education would be more likely to participate in testing to demonstrate how their children are doing.

I'm torn on how I feel about homeschooling. I'm down to one homeschooler and I personally despise the heavy regulation that I've had to comply with in some states versus the very laidback states. However, I also took in a child whose first adoptive family used lax homeschooling laws to commit severe educational neglect against this child. Given what I have helped this child face and overcome (we did not homeschool him as it triggers abuse memories for him), I would be in favor of tighter regulations for all homeschoolers. Those of us who are doing fine CAN comply with oversight, even if we resent it or even outright hate it. Those who cannot comply are the ones who NEED to be monitored.

Given that unlike public and private schoolers who have plenty of safety nets to observe and catch when they are struggling (even if those safety nets fail they do exist), I think we has a nation may well owe it to those who are being harmed and lost by homeschooling to provide some oversight and monitoring. While I am fairly certain that it would be a minority of homeschoolers that would fall in that category, it is still a subset of children with no one who can see them--children like my son who spent four years being taught the same kindergarten materials without being taught the basics of reading, writing or mathematics because the woman was incapable of teaching and spent all of her time claiming my son had learning disabilities and low IQ when he had NEITHER.

As a homeschooler who is homeschooling one special needs child through high school graduation, when I lived in a high regulation state, I had NO problems complying with the requirements. I just hated doing it. I'm in a low regulation state now, and while I appreciate it for myself, I also do wonder about the possibility that children can fall through the cracks here in ways they could not in my last state of residence. No one who has EVER looked at my homeschooling has ever had a single concern. All of my children were honor roll students when they entered public schooling from homeschooling. One very sweet teacher sent home the most lovely letter thanking me for all of the hard work I had done with my child, saying she could so clearly see how well my child had been educated and prepared to enter public schools. I just would rather a headache for myself than risk children like my son being lost without any safety net to catch the problems before they become as severe as what he has had to overcome.

I would be in favor of requiring things such as a HS diploma or GED, some scheduled requirement for standardized testing, submitting progress reports to the local school board and probably a few others beyond the basic attendance requirement that so many states have and a few states don't even require that much. Honestly, I liked that in a high regulation state, when people did hear I homeschooled, no one bothered us because they KNEW what standards I had to meet. IME low regulation states have a general public that more likely see homeschooling as illegitimate compared to high regulation states I have lived in.

It was Arkansas whose homeschool test scores have been dropping for the last six years. :embarrassed: I was going off memory and didn't remember correctly.

NC has pretty slack homeschool laws, but in general I have found that people think homeschoolers are way smarter than children who went to public or private schools. I think that there are really good homeschoolers here, but also some really bad ones. I know a handful of people who should not be homeschooling and whose children need a safety net, but since they aren't doing anything illegal in NC, nothing can be done to help them.

I can look up and see how every school in my area is doing, but nobody knows how the homeschoolers are doing. And even if they tests scores were made public, I wouldn't trust them to be accurate because I know of way too many homeschooling parents who either did the tests for their children or coached them through the tests.

Waaaay too many "experts" out there who have much to say but actually know very little about what actually is accomplished through homeschooling. *Generally speaking*, homeschooled children are adequately educated, effectively socialized, college prepared and colleged admitted (and actually choose to go, unlike the Duggars), and are contributing/participating members of their communities. If the article only looked at Fundie heavy homeschoolers (we are "fundie light" by FJ definition), then the "results" would be pretty void of wider interpretation.

We just enrolled our oldest in high school (freshman) this year, after 10 years of homeschooling. We are a few weeks from said child's first report card and there are 7 As and one B+ (3.857 gpa) so far. This child also has sports participation practice 5 nights a week and does not get home until 7 pm or later (plus Saturday practice). Our child has no study halls. Homework time is crunched, and still the grades are stable. We are not exceptional as a family, nor are we individually academically "gifted" either. We are very typical (in every way) of an average homeschool family. Our child is adjusting very well to the brick/mortar environment, both socially and academically. The "under-education" of homeschoolers (fundie or otherwise) is, in my experience, an over-perpetuated stereotype. Not sure how long it's going to take our culture to realize this.

Well, in the absence of studies, many of us go on our own experience with homeschoolers. Off the top of my head I can think of three families, all fundy lite, who homeschool. One family participates in a co-op and makes sure that their children are up to speed in math and science (barring evolution, of course) with their public school peers. Their oldest is a college freshman. I would describe them as doing homeschool right.

The second family did great in English and history but nearly completely neglected math and science. I tutored one of their children through three semesters of remedial math in community college--that's what it took to get her qualified to take college algebra *after* she had "graduated" homeschool high school.

The third family is related to me. They are actually trying to make a business of their particular homeschool philosophy, which essentially boils down to unschooling although they would be offended at that term. As far as I can tell, their children only learn what they feel like learning, which seems mainly to be Legos and moviemaking. Judging from one of the children's FB pages, she has learned all the same punctuation and grammatical errors that her mother makes on her own blog. :doh: :doh: Their oldest two have College Minus "degrees" but have not actually tried to use said degrees in the real world.

One out of three is not very good.

Well, in the absence of studies, many of us go on our own experience with homeschoolers.

Yes. Some homeschoolers do well, and some do not. There is zero oversight in many states. And from what I've seen, even in the states where there is oversight, the boom is unlikely to be lowered. :oops:

Probably most of us know homeschooling families, and many of us have been involved in homeschooling ourselves. (I was homeschooled for three years). So in the absence of anything remotely resembling actual statistics, I think most people have some background to speak fairly authoratively on this subject.

So the whole thing is based on two people who grew up homeschooled and didn't like it? That's the basis for painting a broad brush of criticism over everyone else?

Well my my. Let's find ourselves some public school graduates who disliked attending public school. Let's pretend that every single public school teacher is competent and qualified and able. Let's pretend that public schools never fail their students.

How about stop looking for a crisis where none exists?

I was homeschooled and I know lots of people who were homeschooled, and I have to say it drives me crazy that it is almost impossible to discuss problems with homeschooling without people dragging up public schools. Usually when I'm having discussing this subject with former homeschoolers who received horrible educations because of religious beliefs or their parents weren't capable of teaching them it is always brought up how frustrating it is that people often deflect the conversation to the problems of public school or they downplay the educational neglect in homeschooling.

Let's stick to discussing homeschooling and the lack of oversight. There is so little oversight that no one can actually say how well homeschoolers are doing compared to public schools. The studies that are often brought up to "prove" homeschoolers are doing better are all completely useless, one of the studies that is often brought up actually concluded that the children in the study would have done just as well in public school as they did being homeschooled, but that part of the study is usually left off the discussion. There needs to be some way to track and see how homeschoolers are actually doing when it comes to educating their children. Just letting parents get a free for all where they can get away with not providing their children with an education should not be an option.

Yes, all of this. It's so frustrating. I'm a former homeschooler and have some negative opinions of homeschooling, but it feels like I'm not allowed to criticize it at all. It seems like it's only the parents' voices that are welcome in this debate. Even the liberal homeschooling parents tend to be very dismissive of former homeschooled kids' complaints (I've run into that even on this board).

I don't think homeschooling is all bad--I think for some kids it's probably the best choice, actually--but I've seen what abysmal educations some of my peers received. Even good parents often let things slip, like getting months behind on schedule--it was unusual for homeschoolers to not be behind. Most parents aren't going to sit with their kids all day, and most kids don't have the discipline to keep working on their own.

Oh, but "public schoolers are get behind too," and "I do things differently with my kids." :angry-banghead:

Yes, all of this. It's so frustrating. I'm a former homeschooler and have some negative opinions of homeschooling, but it feels like I'm not allowed to criticize it at all. It seems like it's only the parents' voices that are welcome in this debate. Even the liberal homeschooling parents tend to be very dismissive of former homeschooled kids' complaints (I've run into that even on this board).

I don't think homeschooling is all bad--I think for some kids it's probably the best choice, actually--but I've seen what abysmal educations some of my peers received. Even good parents often let things slip, like getting months behind on schedule--it was unusual for homeschoolers to not be behind. Most parents aren't going to sit with their kids all day, and most kids don't have the discipline to keep working on their own.

Oh, but "public schoolers are get behind too," and "I do things differently with my kids." :angry-banghead:

I graduated from college in 2010, at the ripe age of 40-something.

In one of the senior classes in my major, accounting, part of the curriculum was to learn Quickbooks.

Never happened. The professor got too far behind. Yeah I paid for edumacation that I never got. And yep, I did need it when I graduated and started on the career path to CPA.

Behind is subjective. There is really only "behind" in school where there has to be some kind of arbitrary standards of measurement. This isn't math, where 2+2=4 no matter where you are in the world, no matter what your culture. It is standards developed for schools, because that's how schools function. But school as a system is not necessarily true learning or education. Often kids are passed right on up to the next grade for reasons as poor as the kid might be embarrassed to be "behind" and repeat a grade while their agemates are in the next grade up.

Abysmal educations occur in schools all the time. That's the truth of the situation. The vast majority of homeschool kids I know have transitioned to public school, college, and work with no problems. Mainly this is probably those parents would have been involved in their child's education no matter where the kid was educated.

All this ire and worry directed at fundie homeschoolers. Is everyone as equally concerned about the kids in public school who are taking cosmetology and auto mechanics? How great is your education going to be when you are in cosmetology most of the day for two years of high school, as is the case in my local high school?

Alabama has no standardized testing requirements for homeschoolers at all.

Alaska is an outlier in homeschooling due both to the geographical region which makes it hard for some families to get children TO school, thus increasing the incidence of homeschooling in general, and with the state funding of all homeschoolers, thus allowing even fundie and fundie-lite families to choose curriculum without funding being an issue.

Case in point to Alaska, one of the most popular curriculums for years in the state has been Calvert, because all of the materials necessary for the entire school year comes with the curriculum and saves on shipping. Calvert is a top-notch, long-standing curriculum put out by a private school in the DC area that started long before the modern homeschooling trends to cater to US Diplomats in areas where even international schools were not an option and private tutors were teaching children with the curriculum.

It is difficult to know how homeschoolers in general perform. Any studies or test would have a basis automatically, as those who do more to be dedicated to education would be more likely to participate in testing to demonstrate how their children are doing.

I'm torn on how I feel about homeschooling. I'm down to one homeschooler and I personally despise the heavy regulation that I've had to comply with in some states versus the very laidback states. However, I also took in a child whose first adoptive family used lax homeschooling laws to commit severe educational neglect against this child. Given what I have helped this child face and overcome (we did not homeschool him as it triggers abuse memories for him), I would be in favor of tighter regulations for all homeschoolers. Those of us who are doing fine CAN comply with oversight, even if we resent it or even outright hate it. Those who cannot comply are the ones who NEED to be monitored.

Given that unlike public and private schoolers who have plenty of safety nets to observe and catch when they are struggling (even if those safety nets fail they do exist), I think we has a nation may well owe it to those who are being harmed and lost by homeschooling to provide some oversight and monitoring. While I am fairly certain that it would be a minority of homeschoolers that would fall in that category, it is still a subset of children with no one who can see them--children like my son who spent four years being taught the same kindergarten materials without being taught the basics of reading, writing or mathematics because the woman was incapable of teaching and spent all of her time claiming my son had learning disabilities and low IQ when he had NEITHER.

As a homeschooler who is homeschooling one special needs child through high school graduation, when I lived in a high regulation state, I had NO problems complying with the requirements. I just hated doing it. I'm in a low regulation state now, and while I appreciate it for myself, I also do wonder about the possibility that children can fall through the cracks here in ways they could not in my last state of residence. No one who has EVER looked at my homeschooling has ever had a single concern. All of my children were honor roll students when they entered public schooling from homeschooling. One very sweet teacher sent home the most lovely letter thanking me for all of the hard work I had done with my child, saying she could so clearly see how well my child had been educated and prepared to enter public schools. I just would rather a headache for myself than risk children like my son being lost without any safety net to catch the problems before they become as severe as what he has had to overcome.

I would be in favor of requiring things such as a HS diploma or GED, some scheduled requirement for standardized testing, submitting progress reports to the local school board and probably a few others beyond the basic attendance requirement that so many states have and a few states don't even require that much. Honestly, I liked that in a high regulation state, when people did hear I homeschooled, no one bothered us because they KNEW what standards I had to meet. IME low regulation states have a general public that more likely see homeschooling as illegitimate compared to high regulation states I have lived in.

Do you mind sharing what curricula and methods you used? We're thinking about going that route with our kids - homeschool the early years, to tailor the basics to our kids (one of whom has trouble focusing), followed by public high school for the extra curricular and college prep opportunities. I'm very interested to know what worked so well for you. (messaging is fine, too)

Ha, boxed curriculums and I never got along well. I've always been an eclectic homeschooler. I'll message you tomorrow with more concrete info. But mostly, every spring I sat down and decided what I wanted for each kid and wrote it out so I could implement it by summer. For those not struggling, a lot of things could be used for multiple children. For those with special needs, I sought out things catered to their specific needs. Then for the ESL students, I had a friend who was a formal ESL teacher and top-notch who I consulted twice a year on their progress and curriculum.

I did read the (poorly written) article. Who gets to decide who is worthy to homeschool? Who gets to decide what is "wacko" religious philosophy, what is extremist, and what is acceptable? My issue is that once you have the government deciding who is fit to homeschool, and which practices are acceptable - it means that everyone (athetists, moderate Christians, Muslims, etc.) all fall under the same umbrella. What curtails religious freedom for the outliers restricts religious and educational freedoms for everyone. Restricting these freedoms for homeschoolers means that private schools will also be regulated - all private schools. So - you know, that's the reality and what this article fails to address.

I mean - I know MANY kids in the public school district who are failing (I live in CA, which has pretty horrible, underfunded public schools). And many of these kids who are diagnosed with ADHD and other issues at school, they come home and are doing much better in a homeschooled environment.

Obviously, not every child is going to be at or above the 50% mark in standardized testing. So, when there are certain benchmarks placed on a child's performance in school (homeschooled or otherwise) - and if that is made to be a measure of the teacher or parent's aptitude at teaching - then certainly, MANY public schools are falling short of that.

I am not some great homeschooling mom - my kids are very bright, independent, self-directed learners. If I had a child with a learning disability who was not learning well in school, I would take that child out. And who knows how that child would do at home (vs. at school?) Probably better than in an overcrowded, underfunded classroom - but maybe they would still be failing.

I mean, obviously - my kids are an easy example of why homeschooling CAN work (because the public school system was failing my child - she learned NOTHING at school and was instead put in a corner every day to read to herself alone bc they didn't know what to do with her)...

So - I guess it's just a slipperly slope. The idea that government can regulate homeschoolers is tricky because it puts undue restrictions on all families. Just as I don't want the government dictating how many kids I have, or my ability to marry the person of my choice - I don't want them interfering in the education of my children. Obviously, children need protection and need to be shielded from abuse, etc. - But in many situations, just because a child is not in mainstream public school - it doesn't mean that the child is receiving an inferior education.

I found the article completely lacking any real data or statistics or any sort of hard factstiabout homeschoolers - it was largely anectdotal and as I mentioned before - it does not define what an outlier Christian fundamentalist is - and who gets to decide what that means. For all we know, it could include anyone who believes in God. Who gets to decide what is wacko and what's not?

What is wacko is substituting curriculum for bible copying and memorization. Yep, people are doing do that very thing and getting away with it because of lax oversight. People are sticking their kids in front of computers and calling it "school". I did Time4Learning's homeschool second grade curriculum with my son this summer in order to prepare for second grade. No way that was a substitute for an actual education and I did not intend for it to be. But there are plenty of parents out there who use these programs as substitute for real education. The Time4Learning forums prove that, if nothing else. I have two graduate degrees and two BAs, but I know I am completely unqualified to teach my kids at this point.I can't imagine what type of instruction people like the Duggars are giving their children.

You can think what you want, but this is a society of laws. It was established that way and intended to be that way from day one. It is not "government interference" to regulate certain minimum standards for education; that phrase, in fact, is the biggest conservative crock out there. As society became more industrialized and less agrarian, people realized that children needed a solid educational foundation in order to achieve. Hence, school became mandatory and regulation of minimum educational standard came to be.

Public schools are underfunded, understaffed and underloved; they are not "failing". We as a culture are failing our schools and our children when we do not invest in their educations and we do not ensure all children have equal access to and equal funding for education. We should have no problem with homeschooling as long as parents are equipping their children with the education and skills they need to survive. I personally have no problem with states funding homeschools as long as the parents are meeting the same minimum standards to which other schools are held. I do have a problem with people claiming it is their right to do what ever the hell they want with a child's education, not only for the impact that it has on the child itself, but for the larger impact it has on society. The most frightening thing going on in American culture today for me is the complete misunderstanding individuals have of the impact of their actions on the common good. The original intent of our government was to promote the common good (termed "general welfare" in the Constitution), not give each person his own island of self governance in which he sets the standards and rules.

People are sticking their kids in front of computers and calling it "school".

That's only half correct. The other half is...Public schools are sticking "their" kids in front of computers and calling it "school."

Connections Academy

K-12

Ohio Virtual Academy.

Alternative public schools that use online curriculum as the "classroom."

And many more.

The public schools keep their tax dollars when these "public school" students are enrolled and attend "school" online. It's not limited to homeschoolers, nor to fundie families like the Duggars and their online college courses. It's an alternative education option, and it works well for some.

There are pros and cons, anymore, to ANY education option.

That's only half correct. The other half is...Public schools are sticking "their" kids in front of computers and calling it "school."

Connections Academy

K-12

Ohio Virtual Academy.

And many more.

The public schools keep their tax dollars when these "public school" students are enrolled and attend "school" online. It's not limited to homeschoolers, nor to fundie families like the Duggars and their online college courses. It's an alternative education option, and it works well for some.

Connections Academy

K-12

Ohio Virtual Academy.

And many more.

Connections Academy

K-12

Ohio Virtual Academy.

And many more.

Connections Academy

K-12

Ohio Virtual Academy.

And many more.

Connections Academy

K-12

Ohio Virtual Academy.

And many more.

That's only half correct. The other half is...Public schools are sticking "their" kids in front of computers, too, and calling it "school."

Connections Academy

K-12

Ohio Virtual Academy.

And many more.

That's only half correct. The other half is...Public schools are sticking "their" kids in front of computers, too, and calling it "school."

Connections Academy

K-12

Ohio Virtual Academy.

And many more.

Connections Academy

K-12

Ohio Virtual Academy.

And many more.

Archived