IGNORED

The typical male fundie look

Sundaymorning

I've read in another thread that someones fiancé looked like a conservative Christian but not like a fundie.

Which got me thinking: is there a signature male fundie look?

Women are easier to identify, but for me, those men look like normal, everyday citizens. Most males in my country are dressed somewhat like them. So are there any specifics on how male fundies dress differently than others?

Oh yes indeed.

A fundy man (ime) has slicked down hair that is neatly parted, cut short above the ear and off the collar. (In military churches, this may be more of a buzz cut). Then a collared dress shirt (fundy lite men may trade that for a polo shirt) that is NOT pink or purple but may be most other colors. In church, there would also be a tie. Out of church/school, the shirt may be left unbuttoned one button on the collar. Pleated dress pants in khaki, black or navy blue. No other colors are acceptable (fundy lite men may wear jeans outside of church). Dress shoes or loafers with black dress socks.

No jewelry unless the man is married, then a single wedding ring. Definitely no piercings or chains.

A male fundie resides in 2 camps for me. They either look like they stepped off the set of Leave it to Beaver or sport an obnoxious meme on a t-shirt.

Oh yes indeed.

A fundy man (ime) has slicked down hair that is neatly parted, cut short above the ear and off the collar. (In military churches, this may be more of a buzz cut).

There used to be (or perhaps there still is) hairdresser who posted on the Stuff Fundies Like site who called this particular cut 'The Baptist'. She swore you could pick IFB men just by the cut they requested.

Oh yes indeed.

A fundy man (ime) has slicked down hair that is neatly parted, cut short above the ear and off the collar. (In military churches, this may be more of a buzz cut). Then a collared dress shirt (fundy lite men may trade that for a polo shirt) that is NOT pink or purple but may be most other colors. In church, there would also be a tie. Out of church/school, the shirt may be left unbuttoned one button on the collar. Pleated dress pants in khaki, black or navy blue. No other colors are acceptable (fundy lite men may wear jeans outside of church). Dress shoes or loafers with black dress socks.

No jewelry unless the man is married, then a single wedding ring. Definitely no piercings or chains.

This is 100% what I would have said.

Some mennonite guys are super picky about their hair being smooth. We even knew one who wore a hair net to bed to keep the shape. And he was in his 20's, and married. His poor wife.

For me, it's not how they dress, but the shit that comes out of their mouths. The way a man dresses probably have more to do with dress codes at work, and more and more men are becoming more aware of their appearance.

I always think they look like they came out of the 1950s, aka "Leave it to Beaver" and agree with the wide stance and cell phone on belt comments. There's something Stepford wife-ish (but I guess husband-ish) about them.

You guys don't actually know any fundie men, do you? :lol:

No seriously, I guess I can see your description fitting the general IFB/ATI crowd, but there are other kinds of fundies. Among my fundie friends (and all of their friends too) there is a wide range of styles. Same for the ladies, teens, and kids. Just among my tiny church there are a lot of man-styles: the professor, rugged, cowboy, suit and tie, shirt and tie, jeans and t-shirt, hopeless, typical businessman, and the I-used-todress-like-ATI-but -my-wife-is-helping-me :-)

I grew up fundy.

Oh, don't get defensive, I'm sorry, I'm just teasing.

Were you ATI/IFB? Because, honestly, that stereotype doesn't fit in the ex-VF and reformed fundie circles.

Oh, don't get defensive, I'm sorry, I'm just teasing.

Were you ATI/IFB? Because, honestly, that stereotype doesn't fit in the ex-VF and reformed fundie circles.

Seriously? "Oh don't get defensive?" You read an awful lot of emotion into a single four-word sentence.

It's fine that you only want to discuss the fundies with whom you've engaged, but your experiences/observations do not invalidate other people's experiences and observations. That's not a defensive statement, btw, since I'm apparently having to clarify my tone. It's simply a statement of fact.

Having lived among them, ditto.This would be IFB. Of course, there were churches where you kept your dress shirt white because venturing into another color might be considered liberal or conforming to the world. Also some where jeans were only allowed while working. Otherwise khakis was as casual as you could be.

It is a joke on fundie kawledge campuses that a streaker has been sighted. "Really?" "Yep, Joe forgot his tie when he was running to chapel after he overslept."

:cracking-up:

You'll probably want to read the guidelines I posted here on how men should dress :lol:

http://hopewellmomschoolreborn.blogspot ... women.html

:cracking-up: :cracking-up: :cracking-up:

That is brilliant, especially the shoes!

I'm going to agree with Babycakes. There is a lot of variation in Fundie looks and she described a quite a few.

Most people are describing the ATI, IFB, Mitt Romney Mormon Fundie male dress code, but Michael Pearl doesn't have a Baptist haircut, and there is the even more disheveled and unwashed Mountain Man/Deliverance look modeled by Dale Sabin too.

What I tend to notice is that the ATI and IFB crowd all have and wear suits and ties to weddings, even the tiny boys. They look businesslike even when the suits don't fit right until you look at their feet. If they are not stationed at headquarters, they are usually wearing unpolished work boots or even sneakers with their suits!

The Vision Forum middle-aged men mostly wear suits, but their dress code permits nicely pressed and un-faded jeans worn with cowboy boots for the younger members.

Seriously? "Oh don't get defensive?" You read an awful lot of emotion into a single four-word sentence.

It's fine that you only want to discuss the fundies with whom you've engaged, but your experiences/observations do not invalidate other people's experiences and observations. That's not a defensive statement, btw, since I'm apparently having to clarify my tone. It's simply a statement of fact.

I didn't mean it in a rude or nasty way, I genuinely meant I was sorry if I bothered you. I did kinda see your response as, "yeah, I do know lots of fundies, thankyouverymuch." Yes, tone is very hard to convey on-line.

I don't see how I was in any way invalidating your experience and observations with the fundies that YOU know, I was simply saying that you can't apply their "dress code" to all flavors of fundies.

I didn't mean it in a rude or nasty way, I genuinely meant I was sorry if I bothered you. I did kinda see your response as, "yeah, I do know lots of fundies, thankyouverymuch." Yes, tone is very hard to convey on-line.

I don't see how I was in any way invalidating your experience and observations with the fundies that YOU know, I was simply saying that you can't apply their "dress code" to all flavors of fundies.

I didn't apply a single dress code to all fundies. I wrote "ime," which means "in my experience." That refers only to MY experience. No one else's.

Still not writing defensively. Simply clarifying.

Archived