Destiny

http://www.amazon.com/Vienna-Prelude-Zi ... die+Thoene

I loved these books as a teenager, and am tempted to try to read them again, but my worldview has changed so much that I'm not convinced it would be a mistake. Has anyone read them recently enough to remember if the content is going to make me want to put a fist through the wall? I don't remember them being overtly Christian or sexist, but 20 years was a long time ago.

My sister loves the Thoene books! (now that she's married and not under my parents' authority anymore) IMO they're more well-written than most Christian fiction. My mom didn't want us to read them growing up because she considered them to be too racy. :lol:

Haha, too racy? I think the female lead (Elsa? Elise?) kissed her husband then it fades to black?

Were you guys stuck reading Grace Livingston Hills for your romance novels as teenagers too? Those weren't racy AT ALL. Half the time it faded to black BEFORE the kiss.

Haha, too racy? I think the female lead (Elsa? Elise?) kissed her husband then it fades to black?

Were you guys stuck reading Grace Livingston Hills for your romance novels as teenagers too? Those weren't racy AT ALL. Half the time it faded to black BEFORE the kiss.

yes. And Janette Oke. And Beverly Lewis. Once i got a Rosamunde Pilcher (The Shell Seekers) and it changed my world. Then a Danielle Steel (the one by the sea, or one of them, can't remember)...

and then, Anna Quindlen, i love her books but they're not romance.

I was more a Betty Cavanna girl myself. Our junior high librarian really steered the girls towards the Betty Cavanna books. If Mrs Dubose took you to the Bettys, you were something else. She didn't do that for every girl.

I don't think I have ever heard of those ones. I was all about Mandie (http://www.mandie.com/p/mandie-books.html) in junior high, then the Thoene books and Grace Livingston Hill in high school. Janette Oke too....wow those got butchered when they were turned into TV.

I'm sorely tempted to spend the $3 on amazon to get Vienna Prelude and see if I still like it.

I read them all. I liked them then. I fear I would not so much now as my world view has changed as well.

A college friend loved Jannette Oke. She had a shelf full of those books and she was from a liberal Presybterian family. I tried reading one once, but her writing style made me want to gouge my own eyes out with a spoon like Odysseus.

...I didn't even realize they were considered "Christian fiction" when I read them in junior high D:

Now I'm completely thrown off that I read Christian romance novels in junior high and didn't even realize it...

(Read them all several times, loved them. Probably wouldn't be able to make it through half a book today because I can't stand romance novels.)

Archived