IGNORED

Are there other gamers here?

mebeforee

MY TIME HAS COME

I've been playing some form of videogame or another since I was in diapers practically. My very earliest memories are playing Captain Comic and Jane of the Jungle on an old DOS machine, and getting a SNES Bundle for Christmas when I was four. I think it was bundled with either Super Mario All Stars or Donkey Kong Country, but it's been so long I can't really remember.

I enjoy a lot of genres, but I never could get into RTS or Simulations. I only really got into FPS with Bioshock, and that's only because it was a really visually appealing game for me with all of the Art Deco and neon lights.

But my fav three genres are platformers, RPGS, and sandbox-style stuff like Minecraft. I just find exploring the world at my own pace really relaxing.

At the moment I'm playing Starbound. It's a side-scroller sandbox like Terraria, but with an emphasis on space travel and colony building (at least as of the recent update). You also aren't limited to just playing as humans, which I really enjoy.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EA has done much more than use manipulative sale tactics to keep selling their pish, especially to the Sims Community. I was more involved in the community with Sims 2 - that's the one I play - and believe me, people had a slew of good reasons why EA Must Be Destroyed. Unfortunately, much of it has been devoured by hungry internet gremlins though there's still things to be found on Google if you want to search for it yourself. For the best custom content, fellow Simmers, I suggest Mod the Sims for the bulk of custom content you can get and More Awesome Than You for all your "haxxing" needs. Never download pish from TSR. It's not great quality and they've admitted that they have added trojans in the past. They called it a watermark, it's no watermark. Luckily there is The Booty at Paysites Must Be Destroyed that has all the pay files you need for the price of free if you play Sims 2 and Sims 3. The ones from TSR there have been cleaned and are safe to use. Oh and if legacies get too easy of a challenge, there's always the Apocalypse Challenge. So many rules that the rules have rules.

Beyond playing "God" with pixelated people, I also enjoy RPG games. From Blizzard's offerings, the Diablo series is my favorite. I like shooting demons dead with bows though I enjoyed Warcraft and Starcraft from a tactical standpoint. Bethesada has Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3. Bioware's Dragon Age is a fun trio of games too. It's where "Sera's Arrow" comes from. I also liked Lionhead's Fable series. Gnomes take a whole new meaning of being evil in the third installment, yikes. I'm also a Valve fan. The Portal series is very fun and at times, incredibly silly. GLaDos is the voice of my phone, heh. When I get texts, she'll inform me how horrible I am or that she's a potato or something like that. Valve also made my favorite modern shooter in the Left 4 Dead series. I love L4D even when the Director really hates me that day (numerous Jockeys means he hates me) or my gaming friends leave me behind to be Otis'd after I save their lives.

Before the age of consoles took off, I was an arcade nut. One of these arcade games has stayed with me for a very long time. Mortal Kombat is the game I play when I need to release frustration, has been since I was a kid. I call it "GET OVER HERE" therapy.

EA has done much more than use manipulative sale tactics to keep selling their pish, especially to the Sims Community. I was more involved in the community with Sims 2 - that's the one I play - and believe me, people had a slew of good reasons why EA Must Be Destroyed. Unfortunately, much of it has been devoured by hungry internet gremlins though there's still things to be found on Google if you want to search for it yourself. For the best custom content, fellow Simmers, I suggest Mod the Sims for the bulk of custom content you can get and More Awesome Than You for all your "haxxing" needs. Never download pish from TSR. It's not great quality and they've admitted that they have added trojans in the past. They called it a watermark, it's no watermark. Luckily there is The Booty at Paysites Must Be Destroyed that has all the pay files you need for the price of free if you play Sims 2 and Sims 3. The ones from TSR there have been cleaned and are safe to use. Oh and if legacies get too easy of a challenge, there's always the Apocalypse Challenge. So many rules that the rules have rules.

I've found that Mod the Sims has had a severe drop in quality over the last few years. Or well maybe there just hasn't been any increase in quality in years. I've been out of the sims 2 loop for awhile now but when I was Garden of Shadows was my go to for most custom content. It can be a little hard to navigate at first but you learn the ropes eventually. For mods I'd go to Simbology and Cyjon. There's also a huge Sims tumblr community.

I really hope Bethesda has fixed the getting-stuck-in-things problems. It's funny the first time you fall into a rock and can't get out, not so much after that.

On the other hand, it's always funny when I fast travel back to an area with bodies and they rain from the sky. :D

In other news, I find Minecraft boring but I play it anyway every now and again. I don't get myself sometimes.

I really hope Bethesda has fixed the getting-stuck-in-things problems. It's funny the first time you fall into a rock and can't get out, not so much after that.

On the other hand, it's always funny when I fast travel back to an area with bodies and they rain from the sky. :D

In other news, I find Minecraft boring but I play it anyway every now and again. I don't get myself sometimes.

i got stuck in a small area during a boss battle in skyrim (fighting sigdis gauldurson) and had to reload a previous save because i couldn't get out. i was pissed because i was a good deal of the way through a bit of a complicated boss battle. fucking sigdis and his fucking shouts.

whenever i enter the bard's college, there's a plate that gets knocked to the floor. it's happened with the couple of saves where i've gone to the bard's college (i haven't gone there in every save). has that happened with anyone else or is it just my copy?

i've toyed with the idea of buying minecraft, but just haven't committed to it yet. i'm not sure i want to get obsessed with something else lol.

I've found that Mod the Sims has had a severe drop in quality over the last few years. Or well maybe there just hasn't been any increase in quality in years. I've been out of the sims 2 loop for awhile now but when I was Garden of Shadows was my go to for most custom content. It can be a little hard to navigate at first but you learn the ropes eventually. For mods I'd go to Simbology and Cyjon. There's also a huge Sims tumblr community.

Ooh, another GoSling? I didn't mention GoS since it's popular among the sect who likes urban decay and dyed hair, I didn't think that would be too popular here. Silly me : ) I also love Club Crimsyn's pish and not just because the "Y" makes it hip, heh. Simbology and Cyjon are good too, I have many of their hacks/fixes/mods. MATY is a good starting point for the world of haxes, at least, in my experience and the Bat Box is a very good tool to have. I haven't spent a lot of time in the tumblr community though. Thanks for letting me know about it.

....../snipped.

For the best custom content, fellow Simmers, I suggest Mod the Sims for the bulk of custom content you can get and More Awesome Than You for all your "haxxing" needs. Never download pish from TSR. It's not great quality and they've admitted that they have added trojans in the past. They called it a watermark, it's no watermark. Luckily there is The Booty at Paysites Must Be Destroyed that has all the pay files you need for the price of free if you play Sims 2 and Sims 3. The ones from TSR there have been cleaned and are safe to use. Oh and if legacies get too easy of a challenge, there's always the Apocalypse Challenge. So many rules that the rules have rules.

I played TS2 a LOT, and totally agree with regards to Mod The Sims being awesome, and TSR not. I got maybe 5 items from TSR, and 2 of of the 5 them were crashing my game. Luckily I added them one by one to the game so knew which files to find and get rid of, but still, that's crap. Mod The Sims were great.

Beyond playing "God" with pixelated people, I also enjoy RPG games. From Blizzard's offerings, the Diablo series is my favorite. I like shooting demons dead with bows though I enjoyed Warcraft and Starcraft from a tactical standpoint. Bethesada has Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 3. Bioware's Dragon Age is a fun trio of games too. It's where "Sera's Arrow" comes from. I also liked Lionhead's Fable series. Gnomes take a whole new meaning of being evil in the third installment, yikes. I'm also a Valve fan. The Portal series is very fun and at times, incredibly silly. GLaDos is the voice of my phone, heh. When I get texts, she'll inform me how horrible I am or that she's a potato or something like that. Valve also made my favorite modern shooter in the Left 4 Dead series. I love L4D even when the Director really hates me that day (numerous Jockeys means he hates me) or my gaming friends leave me behind to be Otis'd after I save their lives.

Before the age of consoles took off, I was an arcade nut. One of these arcade games has stayed with me for a very long time. Mortal Kombat is the game I play when I need to release frustration, has been since I was a kid. I call it "GET OVER HERE" therapy.

I loved most of the RPG's you mentioned, plus Neverwinter Nights, and Baldurs Gate. I didn't get Diablo III though, as you pretty much had to play it online, and I like just playing by myself, or on our home LAN with the family. We had some great games going over the LAN - good times, good times! Playing games online when you are in Australia can suck, as in comparison to the rest of the world, our internet is so damn slow. My hubby is a Senior Network Engineer at an ISP, and it drives him crazy.

Huh, why is the Internet so much slower in Australia? That would be so super frustrating for me (YES FIRST WORLD PROBLEM BUT WHAT.)

Ooh, another GoSling? I didn't mention GoS since it's popular among the sect who likes urban decay and dyed hair, I didn't think that would be too popular here. Silly me : ) I also love Club Crimsyn's pish and not just because the "Y" makes it hip, heh. Simbology and Cyjon are good too, I have many of their hacks/fixes/mods. MATY is a good starting point for the world of haxes, at least, in my experience and the Bat Box is a very good tool to have. I haven't spent a lot of time in the tumblr community though. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Oh yes the batbox! What a life saver. I preferred it to rolling the pacifier.

As for GoS, yeah there was a lot of that but a lot of other stuff too. All the monthly themes, secret Santa, and Christmas in July really blew up my downloads folder.

I pretty much played out Fallout 3 so now I'm downloading Fallout New Vegas. Still drumming my fingers for Fallout 4.

I'm also excited for the final episode of Life is Strange to come out next week (I think?). I really love the characters, the voice acting is on fleek.

Hey y'all!

I am definitely into gaming (as my user name/avatar likely shows). I built my own gaming PC and I've got a backlog of games on Steam that I'm working through, yet I always fall into the same habits of replaying favorites. For instance, I've started replaying Mass Effect again. It's just so awesome I can't help myself. I've played though New Vegas a bit, Bioshock, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Minecraft, Portal, Half Life.......etc.

So yeah, hey fellow gamers!

I lovelovelove Papers Please! I've even used it in some university-based teaching settings about privilege and power after a class discussion about immigration took a very bad turn.

Have you played Gone Home yet? I say yet because if you enjoy games like Heavy Rain, et al., you'll love it! Also, a lesser known but great little gem I'd suggest is Botanicula. It's on Steam, but I saw just yesterday that they've ported it to Android on Google Play, along with Machinarium.

I have played Gone Home! I really enjoyed it, it had so many little details that really delighted me. It's one of those games that is totally unlike most, it felt more like a Myst type of game where you're mostly discovering the story and puzzling your way through the layout with less focus on building achievements of any kind. There are really few games anymore that are daring enough to go without some level of combat or danger to the player character, I think most game developers feel there isn't enough motivation for the audience if there's no risk to the character involved. And judging from some of the comments on the steam discussion board, that is probably true for some gamers. But I like a lot of variety in my game, I don't like every game I'm playing to be playing the same bit over and over again until I can manage it without being bitten by a zombie or shot to death (right now I'm struggling through the Left Behind DLC of Last of Us. It's been so long since I played the actual game that I'm not instinctive on the commands anymore, and living human opponents are way harder to sneak up on and kill silently than the infected are. Sigh. Trying to protect an incapacitated Joel by single-handedly killing half a dozen giant dudes with guns trying to break into the mall shop he's locked inside, gahhh ''-_- )

Has anyone here been playing Life is Strange? It's amazing, it goes along the same line of choice-based story that Telltale does but honestly I think they're doing a better job of making the choices have significance to the end story. The final chapter is supposed to be released on the 20th!

I also went through a few months of playing a game called "Knock, Knock" in an extremely obssessive way. I bought it from Steam but couldn't get enough of it, ended up getting it on my iphone, also. I've now gotten all the endings and all the achievements and still go back and play it when I need a good strong dose of the surreal.

I've also spent more hours than I want anyone to know playing Don't Starve (and have gotten at least one co-worker addicted to it, too). God, I love that game, but it does terrible things to my productivity level.

I'm playing Life is Strange! I'm actively looking forward to the final episode. I have two game files set up, one where I made all the "nice" choices and one where I made all the "mean" choices but still (SERIOUS SPOILERS AHEAD)

saved Kate because I just can't not. Also, I can't let Frank get killed because I'm such a freakin' goody two-shoes in games.

I did my best to save Kate, but failed to do so. I might get the chance to playthrough again before the final episode is released and I think I know what I have to change in my answers to keep her from jumping. I did save Frank, and I always protect his doggie, haha, I've read that it's possible to hurt the dog and I can't bring myself to do that.

I was really surprised by the ending of the last episode, I'm wondering if perhaps there will be another 'but actually you CAN rewind' moment, like with Chloe in the wheelchair. Max took a photo with Warren just before the end of the world party when he was drunk, I'm wondering if it will be possible to use that to 'reset' and change the ending.

SERIOUSLY FOLKS, if you want to play Life is Strange, DO NOT READ these spoilers because it truly will ruin the game.

OMG, ikr?? I love Chloe. I really doubt they'd fuck us over on this one, because they wrote these characters so well... it would be pretty cold hearted to fuck us on that one. Chloe is such the bad ass underdog and you so want things to work out for her in the end. They really know how to build their cliff hangers! If you do another play through, a hint to help with Kate is to talk to her as often as the game allows you, look at her whiteboard outside her room each episode and just back her up whenever the situation presents itself.

• 4 weeks later...

10 DAYS 19 HOURS AND CHANGE until FALLOUT 4.  I am not spending any money on new games until Fallout 4 comes out and I'm dyin' heeyuh!  I'm finishing stupid quests on Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas to pass the time but it just isn't cutting it.  

Also, I have to admit that I was super, super, like really majorly disappointed with the ending of Life is Strange.  I looooved the game and characters so much but the ending... well (spoilers ahead)

it's like none of your previous choices made any real difference to the ending so what the hell was the point? Like why bother with keeping Lisa alive?  Why bother with letting the bird out of Chloe's house?  Why give a shit if you broke Chloe's snow globe or not?  No shits were given about all the little choices we agonized over through episodes 1-4.  I did cry at the ending but it felt fucking cheap.  Like when they have a dog die in a movie, it's a cheap as hell tear jerker.  I do hope they make another game like Life is Strange though because I was so invested up until the end.

Ok, back to important shit.  FALLOUT 4.  OMG, Nov 10 can't get her fast enough. I'm such a nerd that I actually scheduled some days off just to play the game.  (NEEEEEEERRRD!)

• 2 weeks later...

Huge gamer here, and have been since arcade games in the early 80s and the Atari 2600. I also had a TRS-80 computer during that time and would program in my own BASIC games (very rudimentary--worse than Pong, really) that they used to have in computer magazines.

After that, it was mostly the original Nintendo system (the original Legend of Zelda!), and then my first serious boyfriend in HS (late 80s) had a pretty good computer for the time (before they were ubiquitous--I did not have one), so I was introduced to text adventure games like Zork and the game that kicked off my current love of RPG games, King's Quest IV. I actually dated the guy for longer than I would have because he had a computer and some cool video games. We would go to his house after school and he would crash and I would play King's Quest and Police Quest while he was sleeping. :pb_lol:'

After that, I got into BBS door games in the early 90s (particularly Trade Wars), and then *drumroll please and reverent silence* in 1994 I was introduced to Bethesda's Arena (the first Elder Scrolls game) and haven't looked back. I've loved RPGs (and particularly open-world/sandbox type games) ever since. Damn...Arena was buggy as Hell, but it rocked. In fact, I only recently finished it (about 2 years ago, running it on a DOS emulator on my PC).

For the longest time, Daggerfall (the 2nd Elder Scrolls game) was my absolute favorite--again, despite having to patch it eleventy hundred times and running fix software on it almost every time I played. And it took me probably 10 years to actually "finish" it, because I kept designing my own characters with their custom system and re-starting the game.

I skipped Morrowind pretty much altogether and have logged quite a few hours in Oblivion, but wanted to finish that before starting Skyrim, so I haven't played that one at all.

In the meantime, I got hooked into the Bioshock series, and just recently finished Bioshock Infinite, and then went back and played Bioshock 2 and its add-ons. Lovelovelove that world. So gorgeous and immersive.

So, I mostly do RPGs, some casual time-management games, and some console games (I love the Harvest Moon and Rune Factory series on the Wii; and we have a Playstation and an X Box, but I haven't really gotten into those--since I was brought up on PC games, the console versions seem a bit "dumbed down"), along with infrequent forays into things like the Sims.

I'm also hugely into horror survival games, particularly the F.E.A.R series (although I recognize that's a sort of hybrid between horror survival and a FPS--it's held up really well and is seriously creepy--I trot it out and replay it every couple of years), the most recent Alien game, the Amnesia games, and I'm currently trying to finish Outlast (but it overtaxes my fight-or-flight response, so I can only handle it in small doses).

Another good one that I've logged many hours on is The Long Dark, a survival simulator that is currently in alpha release on Steam, with only a sandbox mode available (the story mode will be released sometime soon, hopefully).

I'm looking forward to getting Fallout 4, even though I haven't played hardly any of that series (despite being a post-apocalyptic/nuclear war theme fan) because I don't like 3rd person games (especially moving around that tiny guy in the original Fallout).

It gets kind of hilarious when my 16-year-old daughter's male friends (and some female ones) find out that I am seriously into video games and we get to talking. She just kind of sits there and facepalms, LOL! :pb_lol:

Random thing.  So I'm online, farting around til Fallout 4 is released (already preloaded, I'm ready and nerdy!) so I'm watching Bob Ross on Twitch.  The chat channel is a frickin' riot and I swear to all that is holy, when he started adding some happy bushes, someone shouted NIKE! in the chat room.  

Anyways, FALLOUT 4 NIGHT, WOOHOO!

has anyone played "until dawn"? i watched a youtuber play it and holy hell, it looks pretty fuckin awesome. i actually wanna play it and i've already seen the whole thing!

Oh, damn.  This looks awesome.  Too bad I don't have a PS4.  :/

has anyone played "until dawn"? i watched a youtuber play it and holy hell, it looks pretty fuckin awesome. i actually wanna play it and i've already seen the whole thing!

It's PS4 only?  Well, I'll be sure to let the (motherfucking, asshole, hope-they-get-herpes-of-the-face) burglars who currently have my PS4 know that they should get right on that.

/bitter

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a gamer at heart.  Fallout 4 looks like my dream game, but circumstances are prohibitive.

• 5 months later...

Anyone here into RTS like Civilization?

Archived