IGNORED

"Lady" Lydia's designer "line" of clothing - MERGE

Anny Nym

I read "centrepiece" in number 4 as centipede.

lol, now THAT would actually count as a valid reason for not working outside the home.

"Sorry, I can´t leave the house. Ever. Because I have to watch my centipede in that secret basement room ... and to hide from the FBI. Oh, I see you haven´t taken a sip of my special light-pink coloured berries tea yet, what a shame... "

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The list kills me...she is really scraping the barrel thinking of sh*t to do. I work 50-60 hours a week, commute almost 2 hours a day, work out and still find the time to keep my house in reasonable shape. It's not the most well decorate or well organized but I know where stuff is and it's clean. It's really not that much of a struggle to keep your surrounds OK. I'm just like WTF does she do all day???

Well, if she goes to Hobby Lobby she makes a day of it. So, yeah. She might not be the world's most efficient or productive housekeeper anything.

Handy as it is I have a partner who can do all those things too! My poor emasculated partner, expected to share womanly chores. :nenner:

...And a tomato in a pot? Oh no, I haven't grown a tomato in a pot. Time to give up work and the income I make so I can save $0.50 by growing my own tomato in a pot.

I can work AND grow a tomato in a pot at the SAME TIME! Who says women can't have it all?

My god that was hilarious, thank you!

It is sad though that she makes no bones about the fact that she tries to make housekeeping things longer and take more time just so she has something to do :(

Does she get to spend much time with her kids and grand kids?

I read "centrepiece" in number 4 as centipede.

I don't have a centipede on my table, but I found a scorpion in my living room last week- does that count?

I don't have a centipede on my table, but I found a scorpion in my living room last week- does that count?

Lady Lydia says that scorpions count as long as you sew it something pink, flowery and frilly to wear.

I found this old post on Lady Lydia's blog...I'm sure it's probably been snarked over here before, but this had me lol'ing and worth bringing up again. This is LL's list of 30 things ladies need to think about before working outside the home. They are all super important folks!

1. Do you have a morning routine in the house? Drink coffee, work out, shower, go to work!

2. Are your dishes washed and put away? - Likely not. My husband is the primary dishwasher in the HH, so he'll do them before he goes to work.

3. Is your cabinet top clear? Eh? What is that? My counter - um, like appliances or just stuff? Either way, likely not.

4. Is your table clear, when not dining, and do you have a centepiece? - Hell no. My dining room table is where my mail and books collect! Centerpiece...the giant f'ing bowl in the center of the table that holds papers and loose change? Yes, I suppose then.

5. Have you cleaned your cupboards and storage areas and fridge in the last 3 months? Cleaned the fridge last week...cupboards, umm perhaps a year ago?

6. Is your porch clean and the entry way cheerful for visitors or people who see it from the road? I have no porch, so I have no cheerful entry portal for visitors. Suck it guests!

7. Are your carpets clean? Hard wood!

8. Is your floor clean? Well, if you mean no large chucks or dust bunnies...it's probably a 4 out of 5 stars.

9. Is your living room ready for company? WTH does this mean?

10. Is your laundry washed, folded, ironed and put away? (Keep in mind, I am not saying you have to do this. I am only listing it in case you think you have time to bring in another income!) LOLOL. As long as it's clean I'm not bothered!

11. Is your mending and button replacement caught up? Who is losing that many buttons?

12. Do you bake bread? (Once again, no one HAS to do it, but if a woman is bored, maybe she should bake her bread. It takes more time. It smells wonderful. It has far greater effects than can be listed here, both emotionally and physically or even involving childhood memory) Ok serious LULZ. :lol: I love how she's really stretching here.

13. Is your bathroom shining clean and does it smell nice? Smelling "nice"? I imagine LL buys poo-pouri by the truckload

14. Does your house smell nice? - Well it doesn't smell bad at least!

15. Have you re-decorated or re-arranged in the last 3 years? (You need not do it, but if you think you need to go to work or take on extra work earning money at home, why not put the time into re-beautifying your house?) How freaking long would this take at most...a couple weeks? Why don't you get a job so you could have the extra ca$h to spend on redecorating!

16. Are your beds made? Are your sheets and bedding fresh? I haven't made my bed since I moved out of my mom's house. That is over 15 years ago!

17. Do you hang your clothes on the line? (You needn't, but it takes more time, and is good for your health and it actually increases the life of your sheets and clothes, as opposed to the dryer) - On delicates I'll put on drying racks, but no clothes lines...

18. Do you grow a garden, or even a tomato in a pot? - Nope, once again apartment living

19. Are your drawers and storage areas organized? It's not a disaster at least

20. Are your photos organized? - WTF?

21. Are your computer files organized? - WTF??

22. Is your correspondence caught up? - WTF???

23. Do you make any of your own clothes? -Trade off...I work so I have cash to buy clothes

24. Does your husband ever have to ask for an ironed shirt? - I don't think my husband even knows what one is.

25. ARe your books organized? - IT's a bookshelf, not a library

26. Do you go through your things regularly for garage sales? - How much crap does she own?

27. Are your windows clean? - I can see out of them at least

28. Do you cook regular meals from basic ingredients? Trade off again

29. Have you had anyone over for tea in the last month? Da fuq? :? I've had people over for games and a cold one, does that count?

30. Do you read at least one good book or learn something new within the year, or learned any new skill? A positive of riding public transit to work daily - I have plenty of time to read. But it's pretty sad if you are working towards learning 1 new thing in a year.

Honestly, none of those things are particularly arduous for many working people. Plenty of people are into dressmaking and other crafts (eg quilting) - my mum works full-time in an ebil science-related job and attends a weekly craft club with some of her work colleagues, and loves knitting/crochet and wants to get into quilting.

Clean and pleasant-smelling kitchens and bathrooms (and preferably the other rooms but those are the most important IMO) are not hard to achieve. Fragranced reed diffusers are cheap. Many people work but also enjoy making things from scratch just for the fun of it. This isn't attacking you, I'm just wondering how bored Lady Lydia must be if people working full-time can do all those things along with a job.

Also living in a flat/apartment doesn't stop you from growing your own - herbs in pots on the windowsill are easy to grow, and if you have a balcony you can grow strawberries, cherry tomatoes, even zucchini/courgettes - all sorts of things.

Looking through her blog, she just comes across as being really bored, sad and lonely. It's a bit depressing really. I like pink and a lot of stereotypically feminine things, but it feels as if she's pushing herself to be this vision of faux-Victorian (the Victorians were pretty obsessed with sex and death...) womanhood that is very artificial and doesn't really fit. It's like she's scared to be herself.

This quote really bothered me in a post where she asked for prayer for someone:

Please give this request to the minister or the men at church this morning who offer the prayers, and of course, please offer your own prayers!

How about you trust your readers to be able to pray to God themselves without the need to take it to some Godly Men? Also does this mean her church doesn't allow women to offer intercessions or prayer ministry? Even conservative churches I've been to don't have a problem with women doing those things.

For example, today I hung out the towels, made the bed, prepared a hot breakfast, went to the post office, grocery store and cleaned up the porch, checked the mail and processed it, sorted a box of papers, prepared for a Bible class, cooked dinner and cleaned the kitchen.

Bitch, please! How in the name of FSM is that even remotely a full day's work? I can get up, make my bed, prepare a hot breakfast, hang out a load of laundry I washed the night before, put in a 10 hour work day including commute time, work out at the gym, pay my bills online and walk to the post office at lunch time, come home, prepare dinner (which I may have cooked on the weekend but still, made from scratch), then sit back with a glass of wine while I watch my husband clean the kitchen. And I'm not some energetic young thing. I believe I'm older than Lydia. I just have much better time management skills.

I'm bored, soooo

1. Do you have a morning routine in the house?

Wake up, slam snooze button. Repeat three times. Stumble to kitchen, nuke up food I prepared on Sunday from scratch. Put on real clothes. Walk to bus stop.

2. Are your dishes washed and put away?

No. I shove them in the dishwasher about once a week.

3. Is your cabinet top clear?

I don't have a cabinet

4. Is your table clear, when not dining, and do you have a centepiece?

I share a house with at least 4 other people. None of my stuff is on the table, and I am not at liberty to touch someone else's stuff.

5. Have you cleaned your cupboards and storage areas and fridge in the last 3 months?

I did actually do a thorough scrub down of the cupboards with bleach water. This was after I found out some mice had taken up residence. I now keep things in plastic airtight containers to prevent this from happening again.

The fridge clean? You mean, no spills and none of the food is turning into science experiments, right?

6. Is your porch clean and the entry way cheerful for visitors or people who see it from the road?

Yes, it is actually. My landlady is very into landscaping and she always makes the front of the house look really nice, at last, unless you look behind the bushes that cover the porch...

7. Are your carpets clean?

Non applicable

8. Is your floor clean?

Ok, you caught me. My floor needs a good sweeping. So sue me.

9. Is your living room ready for company?

I don't have a living room

10. Is your laundry washed, folded, ironed and put away? (Keep in mind, I am not saying you have to do this. I am only listing it in case you think you have time to bring in another income!)

With depression the way it is I am lucky to even have energy to wash my clothes.

11. Is your mending and button replacement caught up?

I do actually need to put a new button on my work pants, but I wear an apron, so no one notices.

12. Do you bake bread? (Once again, no one HAS to do it, but if a woman is bored, maybe she should bake her bread. It takes more time. It smells wonderful. It has far greater effects than can be listed here, both emotionally and physically or even involving childhood memory)

I do actually have a bread machine. Unfortunately I left it at my parents' house. I won't be bale to get a new one for quite some time. And I am SO not kneading that dough by hand.

13. Is your bathroom shining clean and does it smell nice?

it's decent. Could use a good scrub down, and I'm still trying to figure out how to unclog that toilet since I can't call in a plumber (can't afford it.)

14. Does your house smell nice?

I have almost no sense of smell, but I'm guessing it's ok?

15. Have you re-decorated or re-arranged in the last 3 years? (You need not do it, but if you think you need to go to work or take on extra work earning money at home, why not put the time into re-beautifying your house?)

Seeing as how I haven't really stayed in the same place for 3 whole years, yeah, I've had to do some rearranging.

16. Are your beds made? Are your sheets and bedding fresh?

I am morally opposed to making my bed. It must always be open and ready to jump into at all times. I do wash my sleeping bags every few weeks though.

17. Do you hang your clothes on the line? (You needn't, but it takes more time, and is good for your health and it actually increases the life of your sheets and clothes, as opposed to the dryer) -

We don't really have a good place to do that where I live...

18. Do you grow a garden, or even a tomato in a pot?

nah, man, I got a black thumb. Everything I try to grow just dies. I've kinda given up.

19. Are your drawers and storage areas organized?

Insert maniacal laughter here

20. Are your photos organized?

They're all in iPhoto, does that count?

21. Are your computer files organized?

aha, aha, no.

insert guilty look on face here

23. Do you make any of your own clothes?

I knit my own socks, does that count?

24. Does your husband ever have to ask for an ironed shirt?

I don't have a husband

25. ARe your books organized?

My books are alphabetized by author, except the non fiction shelves where they are alphabetized by subject, except for the foreign language books which are alphabetized by language. I'd love to organize them even more, but I just don't have the space to have a whole section for my sci fi and another section for my fantasy.

26. Do you go through your things regularly for garage sales?

No, why would I?

27. Are your windows clean?

Don't really know, don't really care

28. Do you cook regular meals from basic ingredients?

Sometimes...

29. Have you had anyone over for tea in the last month?

I discourage guests from coming over, because there's not really a good place to put them. I go over to their houses instead, and usually there is tea involved because my friend is addicted.

30. Do you read at least one good book or learn something new within the year, or learned any new skill?

Only one good book a year?! What Blasphemy is THIS?!

Clearly I must immediately turn in my 2 weeks notice so I can grow herbs in pots, deep clean my fridge and hard wood floors, and sew my own clothes. Actually all that does sound rather tempting, except then I'd have to go live under a bridge. I wonder how lady lydia would decorate THAT?

I found this old post on Lady Lydia's blog...I'm sure it's probably been snarked over here before, but this had me lol'ing and worth bringing up again.

If you want to see FJers previous answers, look here (you are in good company!):

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16710

LOLOL sorry folks but I just had to do it, too

Lady Lydia at the Home Living blog homeliving.blogspot.com/2007/09/taking-time-to-reflect.html has a to-do list women should follow before deciding to seek employment outside of the home. Here it is:

1. Do you have a morning routine in the house? Sure. I wake up, drink coffee, shower, have breakfast, get about my day...

2. Are your dishes washed and put away? LOL nope. And no dishwasher here, so they are soaking in a dish pail by my sink. Judge away!

3. Is your cabinet top clear? You mean my counter tops? Sure. Well, they are clear where they aren't covered in kitchen appliances or drying dishes.

4. Is your table clear, when not dining, and do you have a centepiece? So, I have a table, but I rarely use it. Currently the centerpiece is an empty, reusable grocery bag.

5. Have you cleaned your cupboards and storage areas and fridge in the last 3 months?I moved into this apartment less than three months ago, so yep!

6. Is your porch clean and the entry way cheerful for visitors or people who see it from the road? My apartment has no porch and roadside visitors are not welcome here.

7. Are your carpets clean?Yes, because I don't have them! WIN

8. Is your floor clean?Needs to be mopped. But I have swept and vacuumed recently.

9. Is your living room ready for company?Being that I live in by studio apartment, I do not have a living room. My whole apartment is covered in piles of clean clothes. My mother weeps.

10. Is your laundry washed, folded, ironed and put away? (Keep in mind, I am not saying you have to do this. I am only listing it in case you think you have time to bring in another income!) See 9

11. Is your mending and button replacement caught up? Nope. There are no buttons on any of my Feminist Clothing

12. Do you bake bread? (Once again, no one HAS to do it, but if a woman is bored, maybe she should bake her bread. It takes more time. It smells wonderful. It has far greater effects than can be listed here, both emotionally and physically or even involving childhood memory) I don't eat bread. Next!

13. Is your bathroom shining clean and does it smell nice? Not sure it's actually supposed to shine. Smells like Dial soap and baby powder.

14. Does your house smell nice? Currently smells like chocolate, so YES

15. Have you re-decorated or re-arranged in the last 3 years? (You need not do it, but if you think you need to go to work or take on extra work earning money at home, why not put the time into re-beautifying your house?) I really want to be crass and answer, "Bitch I might be!" But instead I'll say that, living here less than three months, I certainly am still in the re-arranging process.

16. Are your beds made? Are your sheets and bedding fresh? Yep.

17. Do you hang your clothes on the line? (You needn't, but it takes more time, and is good for your health and it actually increases the life of your sheets and clothes, as opposed to the dryer) Actually I prefer to hand dry each item of clothing by waving it with a lace fan.

18. Do you grow a garden, or even a tomato in a pot? I have a plot in the community garden. Cabbages!

19. Are your drawers and storage areas organized? Negatory

20. Are your photos organized? I have none.

21. Are your computer files organized? Really? I feel like they organize themselves...

22. Is your correspondence caught up? You mean, have I gone through my inbox? Sure.

23. Do you make any of your own clothes? I have tried that, it's really not one of my gifts.

24. Does your husband ever have to ask for an ironed shirt? Being a lesbian, I don't have a husband to iron shirts for.

25. ARe your books organized? Getting them on the shelf was a win for me.

26. Do you go through your things regularly for garage sales? I have moved every year for the past 7 years, so my stuff has been culled through many times.

27. Are your windows clean? They don't get dirty? My mirrors are clean though.

28. Do you cook regular meals from basic ingredients? My ingredients are both basic and acidic.

29. Have you had anyone over for tea in the last month? No, but I went out and got drunk with the girls a few nights ago. Not the same?

30. Do you read at least one good book or learn something new within the year, or learned any new skill? Being a graduate student, I am constantly learning! And reading.

I failed! I need to be a stay at home wife! Who wants to help Rev. Ladypants find Mrs Right?!

Bitch, please! How in the name of FSM is that even remotely a full day's work? I can get up, make my bed, prepare a hot breakfast, hang out a load of laundry I washed the night before, put in a 10 hour work day including commute time, work out at the gym, pay my bills online and walk to the post office at lunch time, come home, prepare dinner (which I may have cooked on the weekend but still, made from scratch), then sit back with a glass of wine while I watch my husband clean the kitchen. And I'm not some energetic young thing. I believe I'm older than Lydia. I just have much better time management skills.

Good for you. Different people have different energy levels. Lydia's day sounds exhausting to me. Then again, I'm seriously depressed at the moment and a good part of my day is spent laying on the couch trying to convince myself to move, and a good day is motivating myself to go to work and eat dinner. Lydia strikes me as being a low-energy person with mental issues, and I can't fault her for not being up to other people's standards of what a full day is or how to manage your time.

Good for you. Different people have different energy levels. Lydia's day sounds exhausting to me. Then again, I'm seriously depressed at the moment and a good part of my day is spent laying on the couch trying to convince myself to move, and a good day is motivating myself to go to work and eat dinner. Lydia strikes me as being a low-energy person with mental issues, and I can't fault her for not being up to other people's standards of what a full day is or how to manage your time.

i totally understand that. With two little monsters which makes it doubly hard to get back on track.

i go through a weird cycle of a few bad days followed by a few days of normal to get everything caught back up. The bad days used to freak me out like it would be an eternity of bad, until i realized i just had to wait it out.... i hope it's the same for you. Depression is like an actual recurring flu, for real. :morningcoffee:

So, taking Lady Lydia's quiz:

1. Do you have a morning routine in the house? Get up, get breakfast for myself and the kid, feed the cats and do the litter box, make lunch for myself and LF and get ready for work.

2. Are your dishes washed and put away? Once a day the dishwasher gets loaded and unloaded because LF really likes to load the dishwasher. In fact, she'll tell me after dinner, "Mom, dishwasher."

3. Is your cabinet top clear? Somewhat...

4. Is your table clear, when not dining, and do you have a centepiece? Ha, no. The table usually has my tote bag, LF's coloring books and the mail. I don't have a centerpiece because I find them annoying to move every time I want to use the table.

5. Have you cleaned your cupboards and storage areas and fridge in the last 3 months? Try about a year on the cupboards. The fridge gets done more often, of course.

6. Is your porch clean and the entry way cheerful for visitors or people who see it from the road? I don't really have a porch to speak of, more like a concrete pad. I do have a few plants in containers on the pad, but yeah.

7. Are your carpets clean? Tile floors. This is Florida, baby.

8. Is your floor clean? I like to think it's pretty darn clean for a working mom, a five year old, two long-haired cats and Florida sand. It's cleaner than ZsuZsu's by miles, I'll say that.

9. Is your living room ready for company? Eh, it doesn't really take me that long to get it ready. Mostly getting LF to pick up her toys and putting other stuff away.

10. Is your laundry washed, folded, ironed and put away? (Keep in mind, I am not saying you have to do this. I am only listing it in case you think you have time to bring in another income!) Heh. Ironed? Ha. Ha. Ha.

11. Is your mending and button replacement caught up? Mending and button replacement...

12. Do you bake bread? (Once again, no one HAS to do it, but if a woman is bored, maybe she should bake her bread. It takes more time. It smells wonderful. It has far greater effects than can be listed here, both emotionally and physically or even involving childhood memory) I make bread and/or sweets occasionally, mostly when my sister comes to visit.

13. Is your bathroom shining clean and does it smell nice? My bathroom may not make the pages of House Beautiful (lime deposits in the water, ugh) but it is sanitary and I have one of those Glade things that smells good.

14. Does your house smell nice? I've had people tell me that they can't tell that I have two cats, so I'd say I'm doing alright on that count.

15. Have you re-decorated or re-arranged in the last 3 years? (You need not do it, but if you think you need to go to work or take on extra work earning money at home, why not put the time into re-beautifying your house?) Haven't lived here that long.

16. Are your beds made? Are your sheets and bedding fresh? Yes.

17. Do you hang your clothes on the line? (You needn't, but it takes more time, and is good for your health and it actually increases the life of your sheets and clothes, as opposed to the dryer) Nah. I don't like finding palmetto bugs in my house after they hitch a ride in. Dryer for me.

18. Do you grow a garden, or even a tomato in a pot? I do have citrus and an avocado tree in my backyard that was there when I moved in here, does that count?

19. Are your drawers and storage areas organized? I know where everything is. Close enough.

20. Are your photos organized? Does having a vague idea of which shoebox contains what count?

21. Are your computer files organized? Right-click, select "Arrange by Name". Boom, done.

22. Is your correspondence caught up? Yep.

23. Do you make any of your own clothes? I'm a terrible seamstress.

24. Does your husband ever have to ask for an ironed shirt? No, the former Mr. JFH can ask his mommy to do that for him. She's the biggest reason he's the FORMER Mr. JFH.

25. ARe your books organized? Lined up on the shelves, yes.

26. Do you go through your things regularly for garage sales? Nah, I bag up anything I don't want and take it to the Goodwill or throw it away.

27. Are your windows clean? I can see just fine out of them, they're clean enough.

28. Do you cook regular meals from basic ingredients? Yep.

29. Have you had anyone over for tea in the last month? I had my mom over for coffee a few days ago, does that work?

30. Do you read at least one good book or learn something new within the year, or learned any new skill? I love to read, so yes.

Looks like I fail at being a "housewife". Can't win 'em all....

That's different. I've been in that place where I couldn't get out of bed, let alone leave the house, for weeks at a time. I'm fortunate enough to have recovered from serious mental and physical health issues and even if I had always enjoyed good health, I'd hope I could empathize when it comes to depression. I'm sorry if it came across as my judging anyone other than Lydia.

If Lydia is a low-energy person, she certainly doesn't see herself that way. She's all about how busy she is, and how she needs to actually plan out her day so as to be sure to have time for her flowered cups of herbal tea and cucumber sandwiches.

That's different. I've been in that place where I couldn't get out of bed, let alone leave the house, for weeks at a time. I'm fortunate enough to have recovered from serious mental and physical health issues and even if I had always enjoyed good health, I'd hope I could empathize when it comes to depression. I'm sorry if it came across as my judging anyone other than Lydia.

If Lydia is a low-energy person, she certainly doesn't see herself that way. She's all about how busy she is, and how she needs to actually plan out her day so as to be sure to have time for her flowered cups of herbal tea and cucumber sandwiches.

That is the key with LL. She is busy hanging curtains in the garden, setting up her table for tea, making fug dresses...the thing is, she is claiming all women should be at home doing this ALL day, whereas many FJ folks are able to fit many of the things in the normal course of a day/week (around job, kids etc). It just goes to show how disconnected LL is from reality!

OMG, that list. I decided to answer the questions. However, I am already working full time not merely bored and considering adding another income. (WTF? I thought most people worked because they needed the income not because they couldn't find some meaningless task to fill their day)

So, the questions answered by a heathen non-homemaker:

1. Do you have a morning routine in the house? Yup, wake up, run, put work clothes in the dryer (I don't iron LOL), shower, eat breakfast, leave

2. Are your dishes washed and put away? Always washed but probably still sitting in the dishwasher

3. Is your cabinet top clear? If this means my counter, yes. I cannot stand clutter.

4. Is your table clear, when not dining, and do you have a centepiece? Yes.

5. Have you cleaned your cupboards and storage areas and fridge in the last 3 months? Yes.

6. Is your porch clean and the entry way cheerful for visitors or people who see it from the road? I'm not sure what qualifies as a cheerful entry space but it is swept of leaves and has a Halloween rug down.

7. Are your carpets clean? Hard wood!

8. Is your floor clean? Yes

9. Is your living room ready for company? Yes, it's nice and clean.

10. Is your laundry washed, folded, ironed and put away? Yes, except the ironing part- I don't iron or buy things that require it.

11. Is your mending and button replacement caught up? We never lose buttons and if things need mended, I'll just replace them.

12. Do you bake bread? We don't eat bread so no need to bake it.

13. Is your bathroom shining clean and does it smell nice? Yes. It even has a cinnamon smelly thing in there

14. Does your house smell nice? Yes, we have pumpkin spice wallflowers. Our house smells amazing.

15. Have you re-decorated or re-arranged in the last 3 years? (You need not do it, but if you think you need to go to work or take on extra work earning money at home, why not put the time into re-beautifying your house?) Yes.

16. Are your beds made? Are your sheets and bedding fresh? Bedding is just out of the dryer. I don't make our beds-waste of time, IMO. Our guest bed is made though.

17. Do you hang your clothes on the line? (You needn't, but it takes more time, and is good for your health and it actually increases the life of your sheets and clothes, as opposed to the dryer) No, I have the way linehung clothes feel.

18. Do you grow a garden, or even a tomato in a pot? - We are growing some blueberries. Can't grow much else because we have a small yard and dogs.

19. Are your drawers and storage areas organized? Always. I hate clutter.

20. Are your photos organized? The printed ones are either hung up or all together in a box. Most are digital though.

21. Are your computer files organized? Yes

22. Is your correspondence caught up? My bills- yes. Nobody writes me letters.

23. Do you make any of your own clothes? Nope. I can buy them for much cheaper than I can make them.

24. Does your husband ever have to ask for an ironed shirt? Nope.

25. ARe your books organized? Yes. I have few though because most are on my Kindle.

26. Do you go through your things regularly for garage sales? I don't have any extra stuff. We donate it to charity at the end of each season. I don't do garage sales.

27. Are your windows clean? Yes

28. Do you cook regular meals from basic ingredients? Hubs does

29. Have you had anyone over for tea in the last month? I think I'd get laughed at if I invited someone over for tea. I gave my running partner a Gatorade though and we sat and laughed about how lazy my coworkers are so I think it counts.

30. Do you read at least one good book or learn something new within the year, or learned any new skill? I am currently learning Spanish using a free computer tutorial and reading a book called "Waking Up" for my church's book club.

What I find so snarkable about Lydia is she seems to think she's objectively busy. It'd be one thing if she had said that for her that list describes a busy day, and so being a homemaker is perfect for her because it leaves plenty of time to sit in the garden reading books and drinking tea (she strikes me as the sort of person who likes to sit around reading, but then again she seems to think reading one good book a year is an accomplishment, judging by that list, so I could be off on that). Instead, though, she uses it as an example of how much work being a homemaker is, as though it would be impossible for a person working a 9-5 to fit all of that in.

1. Do you have a morning routine in the house?

Get up when the computer turns on. Turn on local news. Get my can of Coca Cola and my toast. Read my email, reply, read news online.

2. Are your dishes washed and put away?

Nope. I have very little use of my right arm/hand so I rely on the kindness of others, and they aren't very reliable. They eventually do get thrown in the dishwasher, and all the plastics get tossed.

3. Is your cabinet top clear?

If you mean my asyou, no, I keep things like books to be returned to library and various sundries.

4. Is your table clear, when not dining, and do you have a centepiece?

I'm lucky if the table is cleared off, and no centerpiece, I do however have a pitcher of seasonal flowers by the fireplace.

5. Have you cleaned your cupboards and storage areas and fridge in the last 3 months?

The fridge is cleaned, and I go through the cupboards every week or so, deciding what to donate to the church pantry.

6. Is your porch clean and the entry way cheerful for visitors or people who see it from the road?

It's swept since we have 2 50 year old ficus trees that drop crap all year long. After last nights rain, it got swept again

7. Are your carpets clean?

I had a puppy. We'll clean the carpets before Christmas, god willing and the creeks don't' rise.

8. Is your floor clean?

have tile floors so they get swifterd once a week

9. Is your living room ready for company?

The poker table goes up tonight for Game Night so I guess it is.

10. Is your laundry washed, folded, ironed and put away? (Keep in mind, I am not saying you have to do this. I am only listing it in case you think you have time to bring in another income!)

I get it cleaned but I need a bigger closet and a bigger dresser. I fold my clothes when they come in from the dryer.

11. Is your mending and button replacement caught up?

I found a wonderful Korean seamstress who can do mending. Husbands work clothes go to their vendor, I can do buttons, but he wears snap button shirts or tee shirts.

12. Do you bake bread? (Once again, no one HAS to do it, but if a woman is bored, maybe she should bake her bread. It takes more time. It smells wonderful. It has far greater effects than can be listed here, both emotionally and physically or even involving childhood memory)

I am asking Santa for a bread machine. My main bread eater moved to Chicago so bread isn't a big thing here

13. Is your bathroom shining clean and does it smell nice?

The kids bathroom sparkles. This week the floor in mine is scheduled to be cleaned. I have air fresheners in them and spray for the stinkys

14. Does your house smell nice?

I have lots of candles. Makes it nice

15. Have you re-decorated or re-arranged in the last 3 years? (You need not do it, but if you think you need to go to work or take on extra work earning money at home, why not put the time into re-beautifying your house?)

We've been here 3 years, and we have one project, painting a wall yellow.My paintings and prints are hung. The new orleans beads are over the bar.

16. Are your beds made? Are your sheets and bedding fresh?

I make my bed every day, which means pull up the sheets and blankets and get the comforter over the bed before the dogs jump up and take their assigned places.

17. Do you hang your clothes on the line? (You needn't, but it takes more time, and is good for your health and it actually increases the life of your sheets and clothes, as opposed to the dryer) -

We have a short line (7 feet) hanging in our patio and we hand clothes out there

18. Do you grow a garden, or even a tomato in a pot?

Due to water restrictions I didn't do a garden or hanging tomatos this year. Our aloe plant is flourishing though

19. Are your drawers and storage areas organized?

Well I can find all my kitchen goods and the bathroom cabinets are not full

20. Are your photos organized?

Thank God for photobucket

21. Are your computer files organized?

I have an external modem that is pretty organized.

Most of the people I used to write to are dead. I only have 2 people that get written letters that are left and I don't do Christmas letters or cards because postage is so expensive

23. Do you make any of your own clothes?

You must be joking

24. Does your husband ever have to ask for an ironed shirt?

If he did, I'd go over to my moms. I don't' have an iron,but I may ask for one for Christmas

25. ARe your books organized?

The ones on the Kindle are, but the others are lucky they have homes on the shelves.

26. Do you go through your things regularly for garage sales?

I hate garage sales, I'd rather donate it to Salvation Army or Goodwill than see it on the driveway getting pawed through

27. Are your windows clean?

Why? The screens get hosed off yearly

28. Do you cook regular meals from basic ingredients?

When I cook.

29. Have you had anyone over for tea in the last month?

I don't have any close friends who'd I invite for tea

30. Do you read at least one good book or learn something new within the year, or learned any new skill?

I read at least one book every 2 weeks and if I count hymns, I learn them when I have to. Skills are overrated

So I thought of Lady Lydia today. I just got done making a big batch of white chicken chili for dinner. It's a good recipe, but does generate a lot of dishes during preparation. The chili is simmering and the pots and pans are all done, so my kitchen counters are clean. I got frustrated trying to find my recipe in the overstuffed notebook I use, so in addition to the cooking of a fresh meal and the cleaning of the kitchen, I also organized all the recipes. Can I get a job now? :lol:

What I find so snarkable about Lydia is she seems to think she's objectively busy. It'd be one thing if she had said that for her that list describes a busy day, and so being a homemaker is perfect for her because it leaves plenty of time to sit in the garden reading books and drinking tea (she strikes me as the sort of person who likes to sit around reading, but then again she seems to think reading one good book a year is an accomplishment, judging by that list, so I could be off on that). Instead, though, she uses it as an example of how much work being a homemaker is, as though it would be impossible for a person working a 9-5 to fit all of that in.

Ha good point. And that is perhaps a good thing...she wouldn't survive in many workplaces. She wouldn't last an hour where I work!

I would love to know what her husband thinks. Does he enjoy living in a pink nightmare? Does he roll his eyes when LL goes over her accomplishments of the day - such as rearranging the spice rack, hanging curtains in the garden and making gawdawful dresses? Has he just given up on life?

Lady Lydia, her quiz, and you all inspired me today! I picked out a few recipes and went grocery shopping. I used my crockpot for the first time (chili is incubating in there now), purged the refrigerator of old/expired stuff, filled up the compost bin, took out the recycling, and sorted through all of my clothes. Clothes are now in sell, donate, and recycle bags. All of the old fitted sheets and pillowcases that my boyfriend and I have replaced are in the recycle bag, and the flat sheets are off to the garage to be used as drop cloths.

I'm going to take a nap, and if I still have energy later (doubtful) maybe I'll put away the clean laundry from earlier this week.

Archived