IGNORED

"Lady" Lydia's designer "line" of clothing - MERGE

Anny Nym

I thought you all shouldn´t miss that, because it is certainly, well...something. I just don´t know what exactly it is . :D

Also, she made a picnic all by herself, apparently on a dirt track.

homeliving.blogspot.co.at/2014/09/my-line-of-clothing.html

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the point of dressing like you're in another century? How is that somehow more holy than wearing a maxi skirt and a loose fitting tshirt from THIS century? What's the point?

I thought you all shouldn´t miss that, because it is certainly, well...something. I just don´t know what exactly it is . :D

Also, she made a picnic all by herself, apparently on a dirt track.

homeliving.blogspot.co.at/2014/09/my-line-of-clothing.html

My mom always made us hang stuff up by the hemline. She's going to end up getting weird clothespin creases on the shoulders of her purdy dresses, and with all those flounces and gathers, they'd be a pitb to iron.

It's predictably all freaking PINK!

And how dare she rip off Laura Ashley and call it her line! Laura Ashley was a very talented designer and business person. She filled a fashion niche.

Laura Ashley's 18th Century-style milkmaid wear was very popular in the 1970s and I'm amused to see the dresses my bridesmaids wore in 1979 (their choice not mine) in the museum featured in the youtube clip.

Laura Ashley dresses were popular because they were very affordable, washable, pretty in comparison to psychedelic Pucci prints, and those of us with less than perfect legs were tired of mini-skirts.

I was never that keen on Laura Ashley prettiness. Biba was much more my style. Clingy jersey knits in dark colors -- sort of early Goth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biba

It is literally clothes hanging on a line. :lol:

I think she was being ironic on purpose, but perhaps I've giving her too much credit.

I am going to say elastic waist skirts like she shows are what very beginning sewers make when they are 8 or 9 years old back when I was that age in 4-H

LL states that she can't find anyone to model the dresses. I can't imagine why...

And THEN she says it's okay, though, because at least they don't look worse than the 'dismay[ing]' clothes in stores! Setting a really high bar for yourself, Lady Lydia, making sure you're no worse than dismaying.

Is she selling these or is this a design frenzy for herself? She confuses me

She said in a comment that the people who the dresses were for didn't want their photos on the blog. God knows I wouldn't want to wear any of those monstrosities in public or on a blog.

My favorite part is how she tells you that first you wear it to church, then when it gets worn and tattered you wear it in the house with an apron and then when it gets even more worn you cut off the arms and turn it into an apron. My. Nothing like gardening and working around the home in a dress too worn out for church!

Those are some really ugly dresses.

Which is exactly what I expected, Lydia is all about tacky, ugly pink monstrosities.

Yeah, but that pink one has contrasting buttons. So in Maxhell they are sexaaaaaay.

That is somewhat standard Mennonite wear, esp. the puffed sleeves, except that usually we couldn't have flowers bigger than a quarter. Which was a big struggle for some girls. :lol:

Yeah, but that pink one has contrasting buttons. So in Maxhell they are sexaaaaaay.

True, and made worse by the fact that said frock was for girls. *shudder*

OK, some good comes of everything. While I never actually wore LA to the best of my memory, I did enjoy the line's home furnishings. But that's not the point - thanks to LL, I googled the real Ms. Ashley and found that she was one of the very first to be cognizant of the potential environmental harms of clothing production and did something about them.

And even as important, she sent the jobs to her native Wales in a time when they were sorely needed.

Quality, that one.

I was about to say "standard Mennonite wear", too, except for the buttons and prints!

ETA: This post really cracks me up, now. It rolled me over into "Frumper Lover!"

So she's doing her little turn on the catwalk, huh?

I think she should make clothing for American Girl dolls instead.

I feel bad that she couldn't get anyone to model them. If she doesn't have a local target audience built in, then who is she making and selling these dresses to?

I enjoy frumpy around-the-house dresses,* so I might wear one of these if they were comfortable.

*Don't laugh, they're quite useful. I've used one to scare off 2 Mormon missionaries, 1 salesman, and a lady Jehovah's Witness with a bunch of kids. :lol:

I had a number of Laura Ashley dresses as a child in the 70s- my mum was a big fan. They were absolutely nothing like these!

Yes, Lady Lydia is insulting the memory of Laura Ashley. :(

People were big on matching mother/daughter dresses back in the 70s too, at least in the UK. This is a fun page of memories and photos. Laura Ashley fans are certainly loyal and the clothes wore extremely well.

http://www.museumofcostume.co.uk/exhibi ... ories.aspx

Archived