IGNORED

livin' for the apocalypse

browncoatslytherin

i just saw an ad for this show last night on tlc. apparently it features families that are stockpiling and doing drills and preparing for some huge disaster or war. any takers?

I saw the ads, too. I think this show may itself be a sign of the apocalypse. They really will make a TV show about ANYTHING nowadays!

Guest Anonymous

I post on a few Advancenet public religion forums. The endtimers abound. Unlike the blogging fundys exampled on these forums, these folks work 'in the world' and spread their sick gospels across public media. A few are professionals, some are teachers, they don't set themselves apart from society. There are a few women on these forums who only post with the permission of their husbands, admit to modest clothing etc and deny that woman can preach.

I saw a few of the posts where they were asking for people to appear on the show, and I am interested in it only to see who they actually got to take them up on it. I think one of the fundies that blogs a lot about preparedness (either Paratus Familiar or one of her friends) mentioned it, and I saw casting calls on a couple boards, so there's no telling what sort of people they actually cast for the show.

I still stand by something I've said multiple times on preparedness forums. If you really thing we are heading for a major disaster and anticipate looters and masses of desperate starving people, then you are an idiot to go on TV or any other sort of media identifying yourself and showing off all your preparations.

I saw a show like this once. Can't remember the name of it, but know it is on youtube somewhere. All these people were talking about their preparations. Some people seemed to think that the earth was going to start rotating the opposite direction, and they needed to jump through a secret portal to stop it. That was truly a show that I could LOL at.

I just watched this on THE LOONY CHANNEL, oh, sorry, TLC.

Where do they find these people, and why haven't they been carted off to the mental hospitals?

One and 1/2 of the couples were off the chart, and the rest was just better at hiding it. Some of the ideas were good to know, wouldn't have time to follow them if I wanted to, but most were just insane.

Amazingly enough, not religious in nature.

my cable is out i didn't get to watch it. sadness. :(

Is this the series on which one family in the Phoenix area had turned their swimming pool into a breeding habitat for tilapia, with chickens and a hanging vegetable garden above it? In general I think the end-timers are people with too much time on their hands, but I have to admit that that family impressed me with their little sustainable food-production facility.

Is this the series on which one family in the Phoenix area had turned their swimming pool into a breeding habitat for tilapia

Yup, that's the one. While their self-sufficiency was admirable (depending on whether or not the neighbors can smell those chickens, fish, and goats in the summer), all the folks shown were just a little to the right of obsessed. :roll:

I had friends who raised catfish in their pool after the kids went to college. Apparently you have to keep some water in an in-ground pool, or the sides can collapse in. So they figured they could save on maintenance and earn a little on the side. And one of my kids keeps goldfish in the pool at their rental house (with the landlord's permission), because the pump is broken, so they can't use the pool, and the goldfish eat mosquito larvae.

Archived