IGNORED

The Rise of Biblical Counseling - Kathryn Joyce

Rita

This stuff is so disturbing. I was talking to my then-MIL one day and she was asking nosy questions about my counseling. She told me I needed to find a counselor that wouldn't be all "me me me, feelings feelings feelings" and find one that would take me through the bible. I was so pissed at her for that. She knew it too, but she didn't know why it made me so angry. :doh:

When I was going through the counseling mentioned upthread, a friend (who, incidentally, was not making my rough time any easier) got very nosy about whether I was going through "christian" counseling. When I replied I wasn't, this friend was clearly disapproving like I wasn't helping myself enough because it was secular counseling.

I also never told my family (except a sister, years later) about this counseling because it would ultimately start up the whole "you need a church" advice again and "if you went to church, you wouldn't have this trouble", etc. I didn't want to hear it and I knew from experience with a very trouble ex-fiance that you can't pray the problems away.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived