IGNORED

Here's a horrifyingly offensive t-shirt!

Firiel

notw.com/products/guys-shirts-heal-cancer-334546/

Seriously, I can't even imagine being someone who lost a family member to cancer or was dying of cancer myself and seeing someone wearing that shirt.

I would be PISSED beyond belief.

Gross.

Religious tshirts make me insanely uncomfortable. I mean, are people so insecure about their beliefs that they have to wear them on their chests?

Ugh....

That makes me stabby.

But that crap is there with both the fundagelical crowd and the natural health/yoga/alternative medicine crowd.

We've had fundagelical relatives explain that my dad is not cured because he doesn't believe the right things. And my yoga/alternative medicine obsessed idiot sister-in-law lectures me every f*cking time I see her that he has cancer because of bad nutrition and could be cured by yoga, reiki and herbs.

Truth is that his prognosis was one year and he is still here 22.5 mths later with the cancer not spreading yet. And he ate healthier than my idiot sister-in-law has ever thought about (especially, rather ironically, when she periodically decides to be a vegan or vegetarian and does nothing to add protein and doesn't use B supplements then gets sick and starts eating meat again...).

I was fully prepared to not be offended but really, that's awful.

Ugh....

That makes me stabby.

But that crap is there with both the fundagelical crowd and the natural health/yoga/alternative medicine crowd.

We've had fundagelical relatives explain that my dad is not cured because he doesn't believe the right things. And my yoga/alternative medicine obsessed idiot sister-in-law lectures me every f*cking time I see her that he has cancer because of bad nutrition and could be cured by yoga, reiki and herbs.

Truth is that his prognosis was one year and he is still here 22.5 mths later with the cancer not spreading yet. And he ate healthier than my idiot sister-in-law has ever thought about (especially, rather ironically, when she periodically decides to be a vegan or vegetarian and does nothing to add protein and doesn't use B supplements then gets sick and starts eating meat again...).

Don't forget essential oils in list list of magical cures.

Most religious t-shirts weird me out too. If I were younger, I might wear one or two of the kind of self-parodying ones, but not now.

The only one I would be tempted to wear now doesn't exist-- my ex either heard or came up with (you could never tell with him!) the idea.

The shirt says, "He maketh me to lie down in green pastures" and the picture is Jesus doing some sort of martial arts throw that results in being flat on one's back to a modern dude.

Because I think that's fucking hilarious, despite the limited target audience.

Ugh....

We've had fundagelical relatives explain that my dad is not cured because he doesn't believe the right things.

What kind of things does one have to believe to be cured?

Maybe you have to take part in a certain number of anti-gay protests and visit the Creation Museum.

Most religious t-shirts weird me out too. If I were younger, I might wear one or two of the kind of self-parodying ones, but not now.

The only one I would be tempted to wear now doesn't exist-- my ex either heard or came up with (you could never tell with him!) the idea.

The shirt says, "He maketh me to lie down in green pastures" and the picture is Jesus doing some sort of martial arts throw that results in being flat on one's back to a modern dude.

I recently competed in a team competition and my teammate had a tshirt that said "Jesus Saves" with Jesus about to block a soccer goal :P

Maybe you have to take part in a certain number of anti-gay protests and visit the Creation Museum.

I have been to the creation museum lol. I lived close to it in college and went to snark :P

Non-Catholic things. My dad was raised Catholic and even though he left the church as a young adult, his views remain very Catholic. He would have returned to the Church by now if my parents did not live in the Most Conservative Diocese in America where one priest told him they'd make him do RCIA ( translation--conversion classes and process--even though he was baptized and confirmed Catholic long ago).

I have been to the creation museum lol. I lived close to it in college and went to snark :P

And you don't have cancer! Therefore, the Creation Museum acts as a cancer-vaccine.

That's how logic works, right?

And you don't have cancer! Therefore, the Creation Museum acts as a cancer-vaccine.

That's how logic works, right?

*immediately starts an email to Lori*

She NEEDS TO KNOW so she can prevent the chemo life.

God also utilizes the Varian True Beam linear accelerator. Its done wonders on my husband's tumors. (similar to a Cyberknife)

I recently competed in a team competition and my teammate had a tshirt that said "Jesus Saves" with Jesus about to block a soccer goal :P

My all time favorite is one I saw years ago, that says "Jesus is Coming" in large block letters. And underneath, in slightly smaller letters was "(Look Busy)."

My super fundy sisters-in-law informed me that my cancer was cured because they were praying for me. I told them thanks, God channels those prayers into the wisdown for scientists to create chemo and radiation, and to give my oncologist the ability to sugically remove it.

They also told me that God doesn't hand me anymore than I can take. God must think I'm a bad ass.

even as a pagan these days, i would totally wear that shirt, just to piss off fundies XD

They also told me that God doesn't hand me anymore than I can take. God must think I'm a bad ass.

I hate that particular platitude. What does that say to people who are suicidal or have situational depression? Plenty of us get saddled with more than we can handle at times in life. In my particular place right now when there are plenty of times that I think I can no longer handle it all, it seems like the people saying "God doesn't give you more than you can handle" are the same ones who have no desire to offer any practical help or moral support. It is a great way for them to sign off on the whole thing because, clearly, I can handle it.

One of the reviewers said he was buying it for his cousin who had recently been diagnosed. I think I would have some choice four letter words for him if I were the cousin.

o_O That is seriously the most offensive t-shirt I've ever seen.

A friend of mine (whose father happens to be a pastor :lol:) has a shirt with a picture of Mary and Jesus with the caption "Abstinence: 99.999% effective" :D

I get a fair number of "I'll pray for you," "If you just pray, you'll be cured," "you don't pray hard enough," etc type things since I'm disabled. My mom had MS and I heard these types of things a lot growing up as well. In fact, that attitude did nothing but hasten my mom's poor attitude toward her heath problems, IMO, because she not surprisingly was never cured no matter how much she prayed or other people prayed (including praying in tongues over her).

Depending on my mood, my answer varies between thanks (if it's just an I'll pray for you) to if God will cure me why did he give me a messed up spine in the first place? Couldn't he have saved time by just giving me a working one at the start?

I, personally, find the attitude condescending. No one knows how much I pray or don't pray or what my level of sin or my relationship or lack thereof with God is (or any other person's) So telling someone that is terminally ill (or potentially so) or disabled that they are doing it wrong is really insulting.

For me, it gets under my skin because I watched what that attitude did to my mother (who was not handling her diagnosis very well to begin with).

I also hate the "God never gives us more than we can handle." Really? Kids in Africa and other places can handle having no clean water and not enough food? I never knew that. You do learn something every day ;)

My all time favorite is one I saw years ago, that says "Jesus is Coming" in large block letters. And underneath, in slightly smaller letters was "(Look Busy)."

I've seen the Jesus Saves t-shirt on Zazzle. I also saw a t-shirt that said, "I found Jesus. He was hiding in the kitchen. He made you a sandwich. He's awesome like that."

People saying they 'found' Jesus is a pet peeve of mine- like they misplaced him between the couch cushion with the remote.

I--liberal feminist atheist--had cancer and have been in remission for 12 years.

Very vocally fundagelical co-worker was diagnosed with brain cancer and has just days to live.

How does that work?

(That is a mostly rhetorical question. I grew up fundy and know all the right answers.)

I guess the proponents of this t shirt would clarify that just because he CAN cure cancer, doesn't mean he always does. Cuz god can be an asshole like that.

The only time I wasn't annpyed by "God never gives you more than you can handle" was a blogger who, tongue firmly in cheek, declared that Jesus was returning soon because God never gives you more than you can handle, so Jesus had to come back before her daughter hit puberty. :lol:

That platitude isn't even in the Bible. The verses they're referring to actually say that God won't allow greater temptation that a believer can handle, and will provide an escape (from temptation).

So however you feel about that, it has nothing to do with "not giving you more than you can handle." In fact, great swathes of the Bible are narrating the fact that God gives us more than we can handle every single day, so that we'll turn to him.

Archived