IGNORED

Wilson: God Gave Us "the Creeps"

DomWackTroll

It’s a gift, according to Doug!

"In short, an important part of general revelation is the capacity for getting the creeps... So when parents give their thirteen-year-old daughter some lipstick, we might think 'too soon,' or 'too much,' or 'just right,' but no reasonable person would think it is a blasphemous outrage. But if they were to give that same tube of lipstick to their thirteen-year-old son, the thing becomes a monstrosity. We receive important information from the feeling we have that it is unnatural."

dougwils.com/s7-engaging-the-culture/a-gracious-gift-of-the-creeps.html

Commenter Matt rightly points out that lots of stuff Doug has done (like, oh, I don’t know, defending slavery, maybe? Marrying off a convicted pedophile?) has given people the creeps, but I’m sure it will be to no avail.

Edited for clarity.

When I saw your topic title, I half-imagined Wilson meant "God gave us 'the creeps' aka those sex offenders to minister to."

Doug Wilson is pretty far from a man full of God.

But he seems to be right on-target as a man full of himself .... and possibly afraid of himself. Just a possibility.

I don't think it's "the creeps" that makes one feel lipstick is inappropriate for a 13-year-old boy. I think it's an understanding of what's socially and culturally acceptable, as well as peer pressure, that makes one feel it's unnatural.

My 11 year old boy has a makeup kit. He wanted it for his birthday, and it didn't horrify anyone in the family. He likes makeup. Bfd. The idea of a god so involved in the minutiae of day to day life that he gives a shit if a boy has lipstick gives me the creeps. If I were god, I'd have better things to worry about. Wars, famines, all that stuff.

Archived