IGNORED

Quinoa

Maggie Mae

Please give me your recipes. I've done a few different salads and dishes, delicious to mediocre. I still have the costco bag of it and I'm running out of patience for the supposed "superfood." It doesn't seem to reheat well, which is a problem.

Southwest Quinoa Salad. It's even better the next day, after everything has had a chance to sink in.

centercutcook.com/southwest-quinoa-salad/

• Upvote 1

Please give me your recipes. I've done a few different salads and dishes, delicious to mediocre. I still have the costco bag of it and I'm running out of patience for the supposed "superfood." It doesn't seem to reheat well, which is a problem.

I have put it in salads and like the texture it adds. I also have cooked up some white fish and mixed it with the quinoa and a ginger salad dressing I like. My sister in law uses it in her stuffed green peppers. I really like quinoa though, and haven't noticed it not reheating well (I don't have a very discerning palate though).

Southwest Quinoa Salad. It's even better the next day, after everything has had a chance to sink in.

centercutcook.com/southwest-quinoa-salad/

Thanks! That sounds delish!

Quinoa salad with herbs and lime, in Yotam Ottolenghi's book Plenty: http://www.platetoplate.com/recipes/war ... sian-lime/

Rather than trying to track down Persian limes, we used an equivalent amount of Numi's dry desert lime tea, cutting open the bags and using the zest and fruit inside.

Peruvian quinoa stew, in Moosewood Cooks at Home: http://www.food.com/recipe/peruvian-qui ... ian-402070

Of late, I've been toasting uncooked quinoa (or frying it in a little oil) and using it as a crunchy topping on salads. The Partner, who is generally unmoved by quinoa, actually likes it that way.

Quinoia "tabouleh". Cook one cup of quinoa till tender and all liquid absorbed. Place in bowl and add about a half cup finely chopped mint, a half cup finely chopped parsley, 3-4 chopped scallions or equivalent in red onion, 1 or 2 cubed fresh tomatoes, one cubed cucumber with seeds removed. Make dressing of 6 Tbs olive oil, 4 Tbs lemon juice or vinegar, salt, pepper. Wisk dressing, pour over salad, and toss. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, do not skip this step! Flavors have to "marry".

In a bowl of tomato soup, add a 1/4 of cooked quinoa. Gives the soup nice texture and interest

• Upvote 2

I have put it in salads and like the texture it adds. I also have cooked up some white fish and mixed it with the quinoa and a ginger salad dressing I like. My sister in law uses it in her stuffed green peppers. I really like quinoa though, and haven't noticed it not reheating well (I don't have a very discerning palate though).

So when you say you mix up the fish with the grain, do you mean you cook it and sort of shred it? Or do you serve the fish on top of a quinoa pilaf?

So when you say you mix up the fish with the grain, do you mean you cook it and sort of shred it? Or do you serve the fish on top of a quinoa pilaf?

I cook the quinoa and fish separately and then add shredded fish (normally cod) to the quinoa with maybe some chopped brocolli, dried tomatoes, whatever I have around and then season with the Cape Cod brand Gingerly salad dressing I'm obsessed with. But I've also put a single piece of fish on top of the quinoa like a pilaf and liked that too (normally do olive oil and dried tomatos for seasoning then).

Adding quinoa to tomato soup sounds really good btw and I can't wait to do that this winter!

• Upvote 1

Quinoa stuffed tomatoes, I also like the filling on its own too.

clubdinein.com/deconstructing-food/quinoa-stuffed-tomatoes/

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, but I still wanted to talk about a quinoa chili that I had for lunch today. It was made by the café we have in my building @ work, & it was a quinoa/sweet potato/black bean chili. I don't have the recipe for it (but I may ask them for it just the same), & it was really tasty! I love quinoa; it's so versatile & can be used for just about anything. :tw_rice:

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Tried quinoa once, was not crazy about it.  Might try it again someday.  I'm thinking brown sugar would go good with it.

• Upvote 1

I prefer millet over Quinoa but I have to say that they make nice veggie patties that go well with a basil and mint sour cream. Yum!

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:16 PM, crazydaffodil said:

Tried quinoa once, was not crazy about it.  Might try it again someday.  I'm thinking brown sugar would go good with it.

Make a dessert of some sort, perhaps? That'd work for me.  ;)

• Upvote 1

Am I the only person allergic to quinoa?  I like the way it tastes (the Mr. doesn't) but I ended up with hives (lots of horrible hives) the last time I had it.  We gave the rest away.

I have seeds to grow rainbow quinoa! I bet the all work involved is not worth it. But if it looks as weirdly pretty as the pictures suggest...

Spoiler

quinoa.jpg.4feef457e0eeb740904621745d493

I personally don't think quinoa has a good texture for dessert. Apparently people will disagree because google is full of rice pudding type quinoa desserts.

I recently made Quinoa pilaf with corn and broccoli it was ok but not stunning (using a small pot and twice the broccoli isn't a good plan). It isn't on my to repeat list.

I know @RachelB is inactive now, but I did want to say that Persian limes are just ordinary, common, green seedless limes found in any grocery store.  They may sound exotic, but they are not.

I simply don't like it (and neither does my family), I tried it because it's gluten free and we have celiac in the family but everyone agreed: we don't need it!

I didn't use to like it, but I discovered I wasn't rinsing it enough, so it had a bitter flavor.  Now that I know to rinse it ALOT, I make it sometimes and we like it well enough. Not as much as rice, but tasty.  My daughter is a vegetarian and quinoa is a good protein source for her. She'll make up a bowl of it and mix in lots of chopped cooked and raw vegetables.

Edited by AlysonRR
add text
  • Upvote 2

@AlysonRR, the rinsing is key, isn't it?  Quinoa naturally has saponin on it which is the bitter flavor.  Humans seem predisposed to not like bitter flavors.  Thorough rinsing gets rid of the saponin.

I, too, rinse my quinoa well. While I don't love it, I like it every now and then. It's something different. I'm not big on rice unless it's pilav of some sort so quinoa actually ranks higher than rice. I still love millet more but I do appreciate a mix of both. 

Rinsing well is definitely key to make the quinoa taste good but a lot depends on personal preference. If you like it well cooked and rather mushy, don't undercook it and vice versa. I like mine done but not overdone and a consistency that comes close to millet gruel rather than to couscous or bulgur salads. 

• Upvote 2

I made a quinoa casserole once that I really enjoyed and that uses lots of frozen veggies and no prepackaged crap. I'm trying to find the recipe. 

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.