IGNORED

Duggar Aviation LLC

indifferent

Just a thought but could it be that JD purchased this with his own money? Whether from selling the property he earned by clearing that land or squirrelling away any TLC checks? It seems very much the way they were raised to go ahead and buy a plane as long as you can do it cash!

I mean, they have all those construction vehicles on their property among other things, and I remember reading in the books how Jim Bob would always try and work great deals to get that stuff at auction. I think it could be quite likely that JD figured out a way to do this with his own funds, which would explain why he could go ahead with it with or without parental approval and Gothard-endorsement.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a thought but could it be that JD purchased this with his own money? Whether from selling the property he earned by clearing that land or squirrelling away any TLC checks? It seems very much the way they were raised to go ahead and buy a plane as long as you can do it cash!

I mean, they have all those construction vehicles on their property among other things, and I remember reading in the books how Jim Bob would always try and work great deals to get that stuff at auction. I think it could be quite likely that JD figured out a way to do this with his own funds, which would explain why he could go ahead with it with or without parental approval and Gothard-endorsement.

From the estimates I've seen online, that plane is worth almost half a million dollars. If JD had that kind of money squirrelled away in cash, then man oh man, I need to open me up a towing business!!

You're ignoring the fact that he's been over 18 for six years now, and has been on a reasonably successful TV show for all of those years. Of course we don't know how their contract situation is like, but I would actually be surprised if they didn't have their own contracts and earnings after turning 18, considering the heavy focus on living debt free and things like that. It would be a decent way to ensure that your adult kids, once they get married and move out, have a safety net and have some form of income in addition to whatever blue collar job they go into. Whether we think it's a proper job or not, being scheduled to film several times a week for a large portion of the year is a job-like commitment and getting paid to do it is reasonable.

There are several used ones for sale between $170 000 and $350 000, too. Of course it's a massive purchase either way, and I doubt it was bought exclusively with JD's money, but he could probably contribute quite a bit. And if he didn't because all of the TLC money goes straight into Jim Bob's pocket, then Jim Bob sure as hell deserves to shell out for things. Maybe not $500 000 things, but still.

I don't believe the Duggars are following their "buy used, save the difference" philosophy any longer. They may buy used; but it's a newer used! What concerns me about the plane is insurance. We know they sort of medically self insure; how does that transfer to the plane? I imagine the FAA requires a certain amount of insurance. Love to know how Boob goes about taking care of it ( and insuring the vast fleet of cars and his various construction equipment).

Kirk Cameron movies as in flight entertainment

Or endless loops of their tv show..

SkyMall catalogue featuring their DVDs and books, wholesome swimwear for resort destinations, bags of (stolen) pecans or individual jars of pickles.

Female passengers flying alone are required to look after a kid.

I think it's nothing more than a tax write-off as well. I cannot see that venture making much money. If you have the money to fly by private plane, you don't choose the uneducated Duggar as your pilot. Also, I don't see Jim Bob paying 500k for a plane. I bet he bought it at an auction or something.

And Boob complained about broomball costing $3? Normally I would have no issue with how people spend their money. In agreement with others here, it seems hypocritical from a fmaily who is supposed to be promoting frugality. Of course the humpers still hump and say it's ok. But if it were the Gosselins , I bet they would change their tune fast.

BTW I got banned from commenting on Pickles and Hairspray so I only browse occasionally. THats how i learned of the plane purchase.

:fainting: nonononono please don't ruin the a-team. :lol: my dad watched that (and mash) before we were fundie and the movie was pretty good too, imo

if anything let's call him Boss Hogg :twisted:

Love the Boss Hogg comparison. Jim Bob really could rock that immaculate white suit.

I know quite a few people who own private planes and, in the cases where I am privy to their ownership arrangements, they all own the planes through shell LLCs to, as the letters stand for, limit their liability. They contract with their own LLCs for the use of their planes, but all of the risk and insurance and maintenance is legally isolated (from their other assets) within the LLC. There's no reason to assume (based on the existence of the LLC) that they intend to provide aviation services to anyone but themselves.

Apologies if this information has all been already mulled over and I've just missed it, but:

Looks like the Duggars decided to buy the plane in or about July of last year from Stone Creek Aviation of Tulsa. http://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N68SY

Also, hey, check out its flight history:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N68SY/history

Did anybody here know that the airfield at Big Sandy is called Alert Airfield?

Flights from Springdale to Tulsa? That can't even be a 2 hour drive. Seems like a waste...I thought maybe they bought the plane to rent it out since JB is big into commercial real estate but I wonder what exactly they're doing with it? Maybe they'll start to talk about it on the show?

I know quite a few people who own private planes and, in the cases where I am privy to their ownership arrangements, they all own the planes through shell LLCs to, as the letters stand for, limit their liability. They contract with their own LLCs for the use of their planes, but all of the risk and insurance and maintenance is legally isolated (from their other assets) within the LLC. There's no reason to assume (based on the existence of the LLC) that they intend to provide aviation services to anyone but themselves.

Do you know if they rent their planes out to flights schools or individuals? My dad has been taking pilot lessons and says that's common.

Flights from Springdale to Tulsa? That can't even be a 2 hour drive. Seems like a waste...I thought maybe they bought the plane to rent it out since JB is big into commercial real estate but I wonder what exactly they're doing with it? Maybe they'll start to talk about it on the show?

And what are they doing in the air for more than an hour between takeoff at Paragould, AR and landing at Springdale, AR?

Do you know if they rent their planes out to flights schools or individuals? My dad has been taking pilot lessons and says that's common.

No, these are people who keep planes for their own use for business or pleasure or some combination thereof.

And what are they doing in the air for more than an hour between takeoff at Paragould, AR and landing at Springdale, AR?

Nevermind! That's a much greater distance than I thought.

That IS lower than I would expect for an aircraft, but at the same time, it's a lot more than the Duggar family would have you believe they just have in their pockets. But since they don't use credit... it makes some of their 'recycle wedding decorations' and 'buy used, save the difference' fall flat. Those are strategies for people who don't have money to spend on clothing or decor. If you have $200,000 just hanging out in your bank account, you're not budgeting the way a normal family is.

That IS lower than I would expect for an aircraft, but at the same time, it's a lot more than the Duggar family would have you believe they just have in their pockets. But since they don't use credit... it makes some of their 'recycle wedding decorations' and 'buy used, save the difference' fall flat. Those are strategies for people who don't have money to spend on clothing or decor. If you have $200,000 just hanging out in your bank account, you're not budgeting the way a normal family is.

I'm not eager to defend the Duggars' specific priorities, but I have known a few tightfisted, but not broke, ranchers who look upon planes as necessary tools of their lifestyles/livelihoods, who often look just this side of homeless when they climb out of their planes and who would have a hard time (values system/emotionally speaking) paying retail for wedding fripperies.

Did anybody here know that the airfield at Big Sandy is called Alert Airfield?

Sadly, yes. I looked it up when we saw John David and instructor land there the first time. Too much time on my hands.

Yeah, and I recognize that there are situations in which a vehicle like this would be an important buy for a family. But having a plane for cropdusting or managing to travel safely through rugged/rural terrain necessary for the family livelihood is still a little different than what the Duggars are doing. This isn't a necessary purchase for them, and likely won't be treated as a valuable tool, but it seems to be basically to support a hobby that one of their sons may or may not end up having a career in.

They are realizing that these small planes have 50 years of defective parts, which makes them EXTREMELY dangerous. I think the plane may have cost less on this information.

If you've decided to live a QF life, IMHO, you have a responsibility to be as safe as you possibly can. I have 4 children, ages 13-18, and I purposely avoid high-risk activity because I feel like if I made the decision to bring my 1/5th QF into this world, I should take special care of their parents (me and Mr. 1/5th). To this end we haven't even traveled overseas; we figure we have plenty of time for that once our kids are up and out.

With Michelle still hoping her catcher's mitt is working, and Miracle baby still being super young, taking on this kind of risk and liability is incredibly selfish. I know it may not be a popular opinion, but it is one I feel strongly about.

usatoday.com/longform/news/nation/2014/06/12/lies-coverups-mask-roots-small-aircraft-carnage-unfit-for-flight-part-1/10405323/

Archived