IGNORED

Shraders in Zambia - Welcome to Poisonwood, Stephen- Part 3

happy atheist

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why am I not surprised that John is liberal with the use of the condescending and unnecessary quotation mark?

Condescending, unnecessary, and irritating. (Granted, improper Use of Punctuation is one of my "pet peeves.")

I'd think TB would be the biggest problem. I know that even America, there are growing cases of TB. Plus, if Esther had such a hard time delivering the last baby, considering how many women died in childbirth before modern medicine, I worry about Esther.

Their house has giant rats that their (as far as we know, unvaccinated) small children are killing????/ Ewww I am surprised they don't catch rabies.

Rats have fleas and fleas carry disease. :sick: I just can't imagine his children killing them. :pull-hair:

First time poster, long time lurker,

John will have to pay a lot of tax on his vehicle approx £5000 Stirling (not sure in dollars) according to a pal in zambia who brought a vehicle into the country a while back.

The Zambian health care system is not bad at all. After breaking my arm there earlier this year I was very impressed by the care given.

Payment is expected before leaving the hospital and in cash. No credit cards. Hospital very clean and staff very attentive.

There is a special mum and baby hospital on the road to lusaka from the airport. They also have an emergency ambulance.

The roads between lusaka and karfue are fine but very congested which would cause a problem if Esther does have a home birth which results in complications.

That'd be about 8048.17 in US dollars...goodness gracious. Think of how much that could do in vaccines, clean drinking water, clothing, and medical aid to the people of Zambia. But no, gotta pay for John to have his super vehicle. What a greedy jerk.

I worry about Esther becoming strep+.It doesn't look like they're in the cleanest of places.If she is and her water breaks,without proper intervention,that could become serious very quickly.

Especially if there are really rats in their house. How awful for her to have to live like that. But I guess it might be a step-up up from their pop-up trailer.

First time poster, long time lurker,

John will have to pay a lot of tax on his vehicle approx £5000 Stirling (not sure in dollars) according to a pal in zambia who brought a vehicle into the country a while back.

The Zambian health care system is not bad at all. After breaking my arm there earlier this year I was very impressed by the care given.

Payment is expected before leaving the hospital and in cash. No credit cards. Hospital very clean and staff very attentive.

There is a special mum and baby hospital on the road to lusaka from the airport. They also have an emergency ambulance.

The roads between lusaka and karfue are fine but very congested which would cause a problem if Esther does have a home birth which results in complications.

Fantastic! Someone with recent first hand knowledge of the conditions. Post some more, please!

John was warned by more seasoned missionaries that he would have to pay a lot of tax on the Troopie but he blew them off because he always knows best.

Sorry you broke your arm and I'm glad you got good treatment in Zambia. Lusaka has some excellent hospitals and the Shraders are not that far away. Mind you, I'm sure you had medical insurance for Zambia and a decent cash flow. One of our worries is that the Shraders do not have medical insurance (because God) and they live from month to month on donations.

I hope John has a stash of cash for medical emergencies kept in a rat-proof container but he is a real spendthrift. Being John, he'll probably get someone to bail him out in an emergency because he is lucky like that.

I also hope the midwife is good and that they do take Esther and babe to a hospital if they need one.

A University near me has a program where nursing students go to Zambia to share knowledge and experience real world medicine. There IS medical care there--but they likely aren't big on essential oils and herbs which could be a problem for the Shraders...... And then there's the whole idea of a Zambian treating them.....that could be tough.

I hope the customs duty is at least 100% on that vehicle. Buy used, in country, and save the difference John-Boy.

If johns vehicle is sparkly brand new he is going to stick out like a sore thumb. His paintwork won't remain that way for long either. The main roads are Tarmac , side roads are not! I imagine the road up to the house on the hill will be dust and gravel. The rainy season won't help either!

A family trip into Lusaka seems an odd idea, unless Esther opted to stay behind. Lusaka will be very warm now. It is a reasonable sized city with very busy shops and pavements, not a treat for Esther now she is very very pregnant.

If he did take the family I hope they were well sprayed with mosquito spray. If the weather calm with little or no breeze they stand a very good chance of being eaten by the little pests.

There are some comfortable cafés around where Esther could sit and people watch I suppose.

Hope she is ok. :?

If johns vehicle is sparkly brand new he is going to stick out like a sore thumb. His paintwork won't remain that way for long either. The main roads are Tarmac , side roads are not! I imagine the road up to the house on the hill will be dust and gravel. The rainy season won't help either!

A family trip into Lusaka seems an odd idea, unless Esther opted to stay behind. Lusaka will be very warm now. It is a reasonable sized city with very busy shops and pavements, not a treat for Esther now she is very very pregnant.

John doesn't care.

If he did take the family I hope they were well sprayed with mosquito spray. If the weather calm with little or no breeze they stand a very good chance of being eaten by the little pests.

There are some comfortable cafés around where Esther could sit and people watch I suppose.

Hope she is ok. :?

She married John. She wasn't ok to start out with.

Do you think his flash new car is going to put him at greater risk for crime?

I imagine him being an idiotic, culturally insensitive, total dick of a white dude from American probably puts him at greater risk for crime. He doesn't need the vehicle's help.

Do you think his flash new car is going to put him at greater risk for crime?

I think that the way he is flashing money and luxury items around in general would make him a target anywhere not just in sub-Saharan Africa. One hopes just for burglary/theft not armed robbery.

The shiny brand new troop carrier will probably be stolen soon never to be seen again.

ETA. I also agree with ViolaSebastian. His cultural insensitivity makes him an international incident just waiting to happen.

Johns new vehicle will definitely stand out in Lusaka.

Zambians are friendly folk in general. I can only imagine how they view john!!

Esther and the children will hopefully find they have a lot of support from the locals who will not have much patience with john.

I just saw that and was coming to report it. I hope she has a speedy easy safe delivery.

As per johns fb (30 mins ago) Esther is in labor. They covet everyone's prayers obviously no mention of if they midwives are there or anything.

As with everything in this Zambian shit show, I'm just going to shake my head and sigh. I truly do hope everything goes well.

Im glad it all went well.

I hope baby Stephen is okay and will not get any terrible diseases or anything. And I hope this one is the last one, but I am sure it wont be, I am sure Sophia will only be about one and a half by now?

Welcome baby Stephen. I hope you are strong enough for the trials your PARENTS are about to put you through.

Archived