IGNORED

Shraders in Zambia - Welcome to Poisonwood, Stephen- Part 3

happy atheist

I wonder if the "lost support" was simply money he had to divert to dealing with the damaged stuff from the container? It almost read that way to me.

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if the "lost support" was simply money he had to divert to dealing with the damaged stuff from the container? It almost read that way to me.

Could be and he could also be lying. He could have had 3 month seed money that simply expired. He is shading in a way to seem more desperate to gin up more dollars.

IF (because I don't believe half of what John claims and he twists the facts) John has really lost substantial support and churches are pulling out then I want to know why.

What happened to that Shraderfriend guy? I want the real inside dirt. :popcorn2: :popcorn2: :popcorn2:

Unfortunately, Shraderfriend has not logged in since June 14th. Perhaps he didn't feel comfortable here. :(

p.s., Look Palimpsest, we're twins (I like your avatar)! :P

I'm sure ShraderFriend didn't feel comfortable posting here because defending a friend who treats his wife, children and an entire country the way John does is pretty difficult, but I bet he is lurking and still reading these threads.

There has got to be more to the story. I'm sure these churches realize they are not just pulling John's support, the are pulling support to 8.5 small children as well. I can't see any church taking this decision lightly. Maybe the Ebola issue/ fear scared them into telling John to come home....

I wonder if he really had the support that he know says has disappeared??? Perhaps he "misinterpreted" or "misunderstood" the strength of the commitments.

It is still true that more people die of AIDS and malaria in a single day in sub-Saharan Africa than have ever died of Ebola.

According to my calculations: 564,300 deaths of malaria annually in sub-Saharan Africa (according to Nothing But Nets) + 1,160,000 deaths of AIDS (according to WHO) = 1,732,300; divided by 365 = 4,736 deaths per day of these two big killers.

Ebola hasn't killed that many people, total, since it was first discovered in 1976. To date this outbreak, by far the worst ever, has killed 1900. The media is right to report this as an unfolding disaster, but they tend to distort.

I'm not saying this to downplay the seriousness of Ebola to those who are actually affected by it, who live in villages and neighborhoods that are quarantined and guarded by soldiers with guns, or who see their loved ones carried off to hospitals never to return. This is a terrible, terrible thing.

But the distance from Senegal, the newly infected country, to Zambia is about 3500 miles as the crow flies. Senegal's closer to Norway than to Zambia. So that's not exactly a clear and present danger to this particular family of silly Americans.

Pneumonia is a big killer of children in Zambia, as is diarrhea. And, as someone mentioned, there's been a severe measles outbreak. These are statistically much bigger threats.

I agree that Schrader needs to be concerned about HUV/AIDS and TB.

As the HIV epidemic moves into the second decade of rapid spread in Zambia, it has now become a generalised and mature epidemic.

Current estimates suggest 226 new adult infections and 25 new child infections occur each day, although each of these rates is projected to decline in coming years. The total number of people living with HIV (PLHIV) continues to rise, due to both new infections and the fact that increased access to antiretroviral therapy (ART) allows a larger number of HIV-infected people to live longer. Of the PLHIV, it is estimated that in 2010 310,898 adults and 41,563 children are in need of (ART). For the year 2011, these numbers are expected to rise to 337,316 and 43,625, respectively. Seventy percent of tuberculosis patients in Zambia have HIV.

The situation is much, much worse in Botswana; he's mentioned going there.

What? He's fixed on converting Botswana too? I missed that. I thought he was just going to convert Burundi along with Zambia with side trips to Zaire. Or is he just picking up his shiny new Troupie in Botswana?

Another thing: In his FU to FJ over their prep for Esther's pending due date, John claims that Mrs. P. (midwife) thinks that the Shraders have enough equipment for a hospital. Has it occurred to him that Mr. P. is willing to sit through Johnboy's incessant Bible talk for other motives? Mrs. P. may want to get a loan, or a five-fingered discount, of that Doppler and other donated childbirth equipment for her other pregnant Mums.

John is flashing cash and luxury goods around like crazy in Zambia. Riding for a fall.

Rachel Maddow really needs to do an expose on John Boy for the world to see what a fucktard fake Christians like him are.

I agree that Schrader needs to be concerned about HUV/AIDS and TB.

As the HIV epidemic moves into the second decade of rapid spread in Zambia, it has now become a generalised and mature epidemic.

Current estimates suggest 226 new adult infections and 25 new child infections occur each day, although each of these rates is projected to decline in coming years. The total number of people living with HIV (PLHIV) continues to rise, due to both new infections and the fact that increased access to antiretroviral therapy (ART) allows a larger number of HIV-infected people to live longer. Of the PLHIV, it is estimated that in 2010 310,898 adults and 41,563 children are in need of (ART). For the year 2011, these numbers are expected to rise to 337,316 and 43,625, respectively. Seventy percent of tuberculosis patients in Zambia have HIV.

But HIV is difficult to catch. You don't just get it through the type of contact he would have in his work as a pastor. If he was a medical worker, or ran an orphanage or childcare center - he might want to wear disposable gloves when coming into contact with bodily fluids. But he's not.

John posted a status 5hrs ago thanking everyone for their prayers and stating they need it and covet prayers.. He doesn't say why it what's going on but I'm thinking maybe Esther went into labor because on a prior persons posting to their wall she commented back from her fb saying their "guess date" is the 14th.

John posted a status 5hrs ago thanking everyone for their prayers and stating they need it and covet prayers.. He doesn't say why it what's going on but I'm thinking maybe Esther went into labor because on a prior persons posting to their wall she commented back from her fb saying their "guess date" is the 14th.

Guess date? Sounds like she hasn't been to a Dr at all.

"Guess date" is popular phrasing in some natural childbirth circles, because they see "due date" as implying that if a baby doesn't come by that date it means something is wrong and it's unnecessary medical intervention time.

But HIV is difficult to catch. You don't just get it through the type of contact he would have in his work as a pastor. If he was a medical worker, or ran an orphanage or childcare center - he might want to wear disposable gloves when coming into contact with bodily fluids. But he's not.

HIV is transmittable through sex without condoms. If John were to have an affair, he would almost certainly not use condoms (and of course he'd pass it on to poor Esther too). I'm not saying that I think he will have an affair, but missionaries cheat on their wives all the time (as do doctors, lawyers, rednecks, presidents, etc, etc).

Yeah; I don't think AIDS is a particularly big risk to them; just brought it up as an example of how the media can inflate one threat while disregarding a bigger one. Malaria, pneumonia, measles and diarrhea are possibly more of a threat to them, especially the latter.

I'm worried they will get what should be an easily treatable illness and John lets it go or tries to treat it with whatever weird shit he brought with him.

Yeah. And I also wonder if it's already happened. Many (most?) first-world travelers to developing countries get diarrhea, and in children that can be quite dangerous.

Yeah; I don't think AIDS is a particularly big risk to them; just brought it up as an example of how the media can inflate one threat while disregarding a bigger one. Malaria, pneumonia, measles and diarrhea are possibly more of a threat to them, especially the latter.

I don't disagree, though I have a friend who was in the US Foreign Service in Botswana where household servants were tested for HIV/AIDS by the embassy. She had three small children and although the risk was small, she wanted only non HIV/AIDS+ staff for her family.

Contact between broken skin, wounds, or mucous membranes and HIV-infected blood or blood-contaminated body fluids. These reports have also been extremely rare.

I agree. Especially since there has never been a case of HIV transmission via casual contact. There has to be bodily fluid contact. I would definitely be concerned about diarrhea and the associated dehydration.

Yeah, I understand that. Remembering though how people used to treat people who they thought might have AiDs -- it makes me a little nervous when comparisons are made with it and other diseases . Yes, if for some reason he was having unprotected sex with someone with AiDs it's possible he could contract it and pass it on to his wife....but it's a pretty unlikely scenario.

Yesterday's update:

The kids killed some big-ass rats in the house. John was good enough to put up a picture of one :ew:

They got some mail from home. Lots of "precious" letters from church members and friends, and some cards for the kids from VBS. One of the supporting churches chose John's family to focus on, and sent them the offering from a designated week. Weird how that happens with absolutely no prompting at all.

Roderick is still coming along in his "conversion". He is reading through the NT and sharing what he's learned with his family. Roderick lost his father (stepfather?) a few months ago, so the family is ripe for John's efforts. John was excited to get to preach from "behind a pulpit" for this first time in months. Don't know why that change happened right now. Arcade also got to preach some short messages, as he is working on improving his English and N'yanja.

The troopie has arrived in Lusaka. John was planning to pick it up today, and they want to have a "family day" in Lusaka tomorrow. Between John's driving and the dangerous roads, I hope there is enough space and correctly-fitting seatbelts for all the kids. Esther is not in labor yet.

Yesterday's update:

The kids killed some big-ass rats in the house. John was good enough to put up a picture of one :ew:

They got some mail from home. Lots of "precious" letters from church members and friends, and some cards for the kids from VBS. One of the supporting churches chose John's family to focus on, and sent them the offering from a designated week. Weird how that happens with absolutely no prompting at all.

Roderick is still coming along in his "conversion". He is reading through the NT and sharing what he's learned with his family. Roderick lost his father (stepfather?) a few months ago, so the family is ripe for John's efforts. John was excited to get to preach from "behind a pulpit" for this first time in months. Don't know why that change happened right now. Arcade also got to preach some short messages, as he is working on improving his English and N'yanja.

The troopie has arrived in Lusaka. John was planning to pick it up today, and they want to have a "family day" in Lusaka tomorrow. Between John's driving and the dangerous roads, I hope there is enough space and correctly-fitting seatbelts for all the kids. Esther is not in labor yet.

Their house has giant rats that their (as far as we know, unvaccinated) small children are killing????/ Ewww I am surprised they don't catch rabies.

Archived