IGNORED

Shraders in Zambia - Welcome to Poisonwood, Stephen- Part 3

happy atheist

Part 1 here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18815

Part 2 here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22205

I was hoping Esther would have the baby before it was time to start a new thread, so we could have an accurate Shrader-count in the title, but oh well.

The Shraders are in Zambia, living in the House on the Hill, which is not all it was cracked up to be. Esther is really pregnant. John is an ass. Their belongings were damaged in shipping, including the piano. :shrug:

So far they have no vehicle, and no plane, and have converted no souls.

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Part 1 here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18815

Part 2 here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22205

I was hoping Esther would have the baby before it was time to start a new thread, so we could have an accurate Shrader-count in the title, but oh well.

The Shraders are in Zambia, living in the House on the Hill, which is not all it was cracked up to be. Esther is really pregnant. John is an ass. Their belongings were damaged in shipping, including the piano. :shrug:

So far they have no vehicle, and no plane, and have converted no souls.

Lets hope they don't get Ebola. He's s big jerk to take his wife and children over to countries where ebola is running rampant.

Lets hope they don't get Ebola. He's s big jerk to take his wife and children over to countries where ebola is running rampant.

Ebola is not running rampant in Zambia. They are some 3000 miles away from where the outbreak is, although it could obviously spread.

John is not concerned about ebola though, because he has a COLLOIDAL SILVER GENERATOR. Also some flimsy netting to protect them from malaria, which he has shown very little concern over.

Time to start the baby watch, I guess. Any bets on when the "2014 Model" is going to drop? :roll:

Ebola is in West Africa currently, not where the Shrader's are. I get he's an ass and an idiot but Zambia is nowhere near the current outbreak.

Distance from Nigeria (the furthest east it's been reported) to Zambia is approximately the distance from Washington, DC to Tegucigalpa, Honduras.

The thread title got a chuckle out of me. Because whatever the number, there are too many Shraders in Zambia.

Heck, even if John went by himself and left Esther and the kids in the US (which I hoped, for their sakes) there would still be too many Shraders in Zambia.

Ebola was recently diagnosed in the Conga and is unrelated to the other outbreak (different strain.)

True but it's the northwest bit of Congo, which is still quite far from Zambia.

Oh, fuck! Can we please, PLEASE, change the title? I'm shuddering. It feels like ill-wishing the innocent.

Possible alternative:" Shrader kids survive Zambia so far!" Or something much funnier.

Gut response has nothing to do with Ebola. It has to do with Esther about to produce the latest sprog -- and malaria, measles and a host of other things that the unvaccinated kids could die from.

We all know that John won't care much if he does sacrifice a kid or two. He's just offering up his wife and kids lives for more attention for John!

Oh, ***! Can we please, PLEASE, change the title? I'm shuddering. It feels like ill-wishing the innocent.

Possible alternative:" Shrader kids survive Zambia so far!" Or something much funnier.

Gut response has nothing to do with Ebola. It has to do with Esther about to produce the latest sprog -- and malaria, measles and a host of other things that the unvaccinated kids could die from.

We all know that John won't care much if he does sacrifice a kid or two. He's just offering up his wife and kids lives for more attention for John!

I could see John only having enough money for vaccines for one person, so him getting them for himself and spinning it as "vaccines are very dangerous and have a lot of side effects that I don't want for my children, but as a grown man I think I can handle it, so sacrificed my own safety and got the vaccines myself."

It's mutating faster, too, it seems. I saw some concern that the tests for it may need updating.

I thought of the Shraders last night as I was watching Outbreak. I usually avoid that movie because I cry every time Casey (Kevin Spacey) dies, but there wasn't anything else on last night.

I read it was airborne somewhere,but I'm not sure that's accurate.But if it has mutated,it could potentially spread a lot faster.

That is absolutely untrue.

chaotic life and several other knowledgeable FJers made some helpful comments about ebola and how it's not coming to get us, or the Shraders, in this case, here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22757&p=769263#p769263 After reading that thread, it occurred to me this ebola panic is a lot like the shark panic of my childhood, when Jaws was everyone's point of reference for sharks. I remember a fair amount of barracuda and piranha paranoia too. :lol: A little education goes a long way.

As for Nine of Nine, they know it's a boy, right? Have they named him yet? Based on the other boys' names, Nymbler suggests Moses, Abner, Reuben, and Jonas, along with the usual fundie classics. I've always been partial to Reuben; if the Shraders use it I'll be annoyed. :lol:

The workers who caught ebola were in full protective gear.Some experts think it is worth it to research just how it can be caught now,as in mutations and such.

chaotic life and several other knowledgeable FJers made some helpful comments about ebola and how it's not coming to get us, or the Shraders, in this case, here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22757&p=769263#p769263 After reading that thread, it occurred to me this ebola panic is a lot like the shark panic of my childhood, when Jaws was everyone's point of reference for sharks. I remember a fair amount of barracuda and piranha paranoia too. :lol: A little education goes a long way.

As for Nine of Nine, they know it's a boy, right? Have they named him yet? Based on the other boys' names, Nymbler suggests Moses, Abner, Reuben, and Jonas, along with the usual fundie classics. I've always been partial to Reuben; if the Shraders use it I'll be annoyed. :lol:

I don't think they know. I'm pretty sure Esther hasn't had an ultrasound, as she's barely had any prenatal care.

John's newest novel of a FB post is centered on his attempts to "soul-win" and how everyone else is doin' it rong. Apparently almost everyone who brags about the many people they have brought to salvation have not really converted anyone because they didn't discover "fruit that remains". It's not enough to lead people in prayer, because this is Not Biblical. He doesn't really explain how his method is different, but he says:

One of the burdens on my heart that I can share with you is that in the three months we have been here, we have not seen anyone declare their allegiance to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, bowing their head and their heart in surrender to our Glorious Savior.

So...yeah. In the meantime, after several meetings with a man named Rodrick, John has been convinced that Rodrick is really truly converted from the foreign and non-Biblical world of 7th Day Adventism :? John is super excited. In 3 months he has managed to convert one man from Christianity to Christianity. PARTY TIME :banana-angel:

Oh cripes. John really is delusional. At the suggestion of pretty much everyone in the prior thread, I just finished reading the poisonwood bible (picked it up for $2 at a library sale!) and I can so see Shrader becoming like Nathan Price. It's just too bad Esther will never wise up and leave him

So John has managed to convert a man from one version of Christianity to another. :lol: Wonder how long the conversion will last? Here John was, living next to Muslims, which, if he was really set on saving souls seems like the perfect place to be, and he didn't seem to put a lot of effort into converting them and moved as soon as he could. I bet the Muslims probably felt sorry for John's wife and children which would put a damper on wanting to learn about his faith.

The Muslim faith, iirc, places a huge emphasis on providing for ones family, which is something john doesn't do. Seems to me that that right there would be a huge turn off for them as well

So John has managed to convert a man from one version of Christianity to another. :lol: Wonder how long the conversion will last? Here John was, living next to Muslims, which, if he was really set on saving souls seems like the perfect place to be, and he didn't seem to put a lot of effort into converting them and moved as soon as he could. I bet the Muslims probably felt sorry for John's wife and children which would put a damper on wanting to learn about his faith.

Yeah, that and I imagine attempting to convert Muslims would require learning about what they actually believe to some extent. It would at least force one to enter their homes and get to know them. God forbid, the kids might see that they're just people too, who love their kids and have their own faith and can be nice and friendly and make jokes. The kids are young enough that their parents' bigotry and beliefs are not ingrained yet. Can you imagine the fit John would pitch if any of his children became friends (real friendships, not condescending conversion technique friendships) with a child who was black, Muslim, and from a non-developed country?

If there is anything at all positive that could come out of this ill-conceived jaunt, it's that the exposure might plant seeds in the children's minds that allow them to reject their parents' ignorance when they get older.

Yeah, that and I imagine attempting to convert Muslims would require learning about what they actually believe to some extent. It would at least force one to enter their homes and get to know them. God forbid, the kids might see that they're just people too, who love their kids and have their own faith and can be nice and friendly and make jokes. The kids are young enough that their parents' bigotry and beliefs are not ingrained yet. Can you imagine the fit John would pitch if any of his children became friends (real friendships, not condescending conversion technique friendships) with a child who was black, Muslim, and from a non-developed country?

If there is anything at all positive that could come out of this ill-conceived jaunt, it's that the exposure might plant seeds in the children's minds that allow them to reject their parents' ignorance when they get older.

Seems that when it comes to soul saving / converting, John's taking the easy way out.

Archived