IGNORED

HSLDA takes a stand against patriarchy - MERGE

NotALoserLikeYou

about time.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/29/c ... ss.twitter

A prominent leader in the Christian homeschooling movement has denounced the “Christian patriarchy†movement followed by the prolific Duggar family.

Michael Farris, founder of the Home School Legal Defense Association and Patrick Henry College, described the Quiverfull ideology – which promotes procreation and the primacy of men – as “truly dangerous†in the wake of two sex scandals involving leaders in the evangelical movement.

Farris issued a newsletter article Thursday saying he had been uncomfortable for years with the teachings of Doug Phillips and Bill Gothard, but he had not spoken out because his organization defends the right of anyone to homeschool their children, reported Right Wing Watch.

“Frankly, we should have spoken up sooner,†Farris wrote. “How much sooner is hard to say. There is a subtle difference between teaching that we simply disagree with and teaching that is truly dangerous.â€

Phillips resigned last year from Vision Forum and Vision Forum Ministries over what he described at the time as an extramarital affair, but a lawsuit filed by his victim claims he “methodically groomed†a teenage girl and used her “for his sexual gratification.â€

The suit claims Phillips, an associate of actor Kirk Cameron and reality TV’s Duggar family, used his religious authority to impose “absolute control†over the young woman.

Gothard was suspended earlier this year from the Institute in Basic Life Principles, which he founded in 1961, after allegations that he molested a girl in the early 1990s, sexually harassed other women, and failed to report suspected child abuse.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's already a thread about Michael Farris' statement, but I think this one should stand on its own because the article headline specifically mentions the Duggars.

My favorite quote from the article:

“As a homeschool leader for 30 years and chancellor of Patrick Henry College, I’ve come in contact with many young people who were raised in patriarchal or legalistic homes,†Farris wrote. “Almost none of them are following these philosophies today. Some have rejected Christianity altogether. After all, if they were raised with a false idea of God, it shouldn’t surprise anyone when they walk away — they are rejecting something other than the God of the Bible. But those who continue in Christianity have, for the most part, rejected the extreme views of their childhood for a more balanced approach.â€

I was at a homeschool convention in May where Mike Farris was the key note speaker at our Leaders Forum. He spoke on this very same subject, and after he spoke, I personally thanked him and shook his hand. I do think he is taking a step in the right direction.

During his speech, he expounded on a situation with the VF interns in which DP told them that he has Beall call him "Lord Phillips", and encouraged them to do the same when they married.

Farris also said that his daughter, who is a marathon runner and very athletic, sought out a VF intern for some training. When DP found out, he put a stop to it, as it is not proper for a male to mentor a female in such a manner.

These are the two things that stuck out in my mind. I know Farris has his issues, but I think he is speaking out and hopefully a lot of eyes will be opened.

And the battle continues. Please, keep fighting with one another! By By Jennifer McBride

am a second generation homeschooler. I was homeschooled beginning in the mid-80s when it was still a new frontier. We were the third family in the state of California to register as a private/home school. Shortly thereafter we moved to Alaska where I grew up in a strong homeschool community. As the oldest child in the family I was very much on the journey with my parents. I listened to many of the messages they listened to, heard their discussions with other parents, went to homeschool conventions and helped run our family’s homeschool bookstore. After I graduated I helped teach my younger siblings Now, I homeschool my own children.

I miss those early days. In spite of our differences we were all united as homeschoolers who were blazing new trails together.

I have always thought highly of HSLDA and until recently, we were members. Michael Farris is one of the homeschool pioneers I grew up appreciating.

Over the past ten years or so, as my husband and I have prayed and asked the Lord for wisdom and guidance in raising our own family for Him, Vision Forum has been a huge blessing to us. We are among the many that are shocked and heartsick over the moral failures of Doug Phillips. We do not defend him or his actions in any way shape or form. However, over the past year I have been deeply grieved over the many accusations I have seen made against Vision Forum, their teachings and the families who have appreciated both. The statements Mr. Farris and others have made about the things that they taught and promoted, especially in regards to women, are blatantly false.

I can say this for a fact based on the following reasons:

1. We listened to almost every message VF ever produced and read almost every book or article they published on this topic and are extremely familiar with their stance.

2. We agreed with VF’s stance personally. We are among the families that believe in Biblical patriarchy and we absolutely do not believe the things Mr. Farris has accused us of. We personally know many other families who also appreciated and agreed with Vision Forum’s teachings and they also in no way hold to, or practice patriarchy as defined by Mr. Farris. In fact, we would agree with this statement by Mr. Farris 100% :

Women are not to be the de facto slaves of men. Women are created with dignity equal to that of men. Women have direct and unmediated access to God. Daughters should not be taught that their only and ultimate purpose in life is to be the “helpmeet†of a man. While being a godly wife is a worthy ideal, the only statement that is universally true for every woman is that she should love and serve God as her highest priority. My wife and I raised our own daughters to believe that being a wife and mother was a very high calling but did so in a way that would not crush them if God’s leading had been different.

3. I compiled a book on Biblical womanhood that was published by Vision Forum ( because it fit the message of womanhood that they wanted to convey.) My own words therefore are included in the materials that Mr. Farris denounced as a whole. I would invite any naysayer to read that book – “Queen of the Home†subtitled “The Honor, Power and Nobility of Biblical Womanhood†and find a single statement that coincides with the accusations made by Mr. Farris. (Read this excerpt here for a sample) Read (in context!) any book, article or message that Vision Forum published on this topic. You will not find the view of women that Mr. Farris claims is taught.

4. I vote. I expect that my daughters will vote when they are old enough. I have business endeavors. I believe in higher education for women. I fully expect that my daughters will be well educated. I am not a poor, downtrodden doormat or victim. I am not forced to have babies. I have wanted every one of my 8 living children and the 4 that are with the Lord and I pray for more. I have a brain and I use it. I think. I have opinions. I study. I love theology. I love logic. And yes, I believe in Biblical patriarchy.

Mr. Farris says

Some young people who were raised in patriarchal and/or legalistic homes are now telling their stories. It is from their stories that I have learned that these men’s teachings are being applied in ways that are clearly unwise and damaging from any reasonable vantage point—Christian or secular. People are being hurt.

I think Mr. Farris would agree that just because a few extremely disturbed and evil people who seriously abuse their kids and also homeschool, does not equate to the fact that all homeschoolers are extremely disturbed and evil people who abuse their kids. Yes. People misapply and abuse the idea of patriarchy, just like there are those who misapply and abuse homeschooling. But there are no victims of true, Biblical, godly patriarchy. It is vital that this distinction is made.

Legalism is wrong and people will misapply good and godly teaching. This is not the fault of the teaching. This is the fault of our sinful hearts. It is good to pause and reflect on what we believe and why we believe it. Sometimes we need to dive back into the Scriptures and reevaluate our convictions.

But we don’t need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. We don’t need to turn on those who hold to different convictions than we do and condemn them as heretics. Perhaps those of us who believe in Biblical patriarchy are not just legalistic lemmings, blindly and thoughtlessly obeying the commands of our leaders as we all head off the nearest cliff. Perhaps we have carefully and prayerfully studied out the Word of God and are seeking, by His grace, to apply it. Perhaps our ideas aren’t all that extreme if people actually heard what we had to say about what we believe and not what others have decided we believe.

It is one thing to address wrong teaching. That is necessary, well and good. It is quite another thing, however, to define what someone believes, accuse them of error and then attack them based on something that is a total fabrication, that they repeatedly deny and that can be proven as false from multiple public and easily obtained sources.

This statement by Mr. Farris is one among many that is simply not true:

Look at the outcomes of these teachings. The personal failure of Doug Phillips in the area of marriage and his mistreatment of a young woman bears directly on the legitimacy of his teaching.

Mr. Phillips himself stated that he had betrayed everything he taught and held dear. The whole reason his sin sent shockwaves throughout the entire Christian homeschool community was because it was in direct opposition to everything he stood for.

This closing statement by Mr. Farris is disturbing on many levels – not the least of which is its ominous undertone:

I truly hope that our movement will continue to demonstrate considerable tolerance for differences of opinion. But I also hope that we will show the maturity to understand that some opinions deserve no promotion. Our movement will only be tainted by extremist views if we give our platforms over to such teachers.

Mr. Farris has not only “thrown us under the bus†as one excellent response stated , he has also fed us to the wolves. I am guessing that a good portion of people he just slandered are (or were) faithful members of HSLDA and supporters of Mr. Farris and his fight for homeschooling freedom. What sort of defense lawyer publicly accuses, prosecutes and passes judgement on those he has stated he will defend?

“There will be more to say on this in the days ahead—by me and many others. I am not trying to give an encyclopedic answer; I am just trying to draw a line in the sand.â€

Yes. This is a line in the sand. It is a line drawn with a sword that first stabbed in the back and then with one fell swoop severed off a large portion of the body of Christ.

“The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,†nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.â€..that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another.†1 Corinthians 12:21, 25

.noblewomanhood.com/2014/a-line-in-the-sand-and-a-knife-in-the-back-a-response-to-michael-farris/

An excellent response sat Spiritual Sounding Board:

spiritualsoundingboard.com/2014/08/30/from-silence-to-exposure-why-did-homeschool-leader-michael-farris-speak-out-now/

I especially like:

How much sooner is hard to say? That’s like saying, “I saw the ravaged bodies lying on the side of the road, but decided to walk on by and keep that information to myself. It didn’t seem like the right time to say or do anything, so I didn’t.â€

If Michael Farris is sincere in his position, will he NOW permit female lawyers to volunteer with HDSLDA or will he continue to discriminate against them on the stance that all females belong in the home and therefore it violates the beliefs of HSLDA to allow women who are lawyers to assist in defending the rights of homeschoolers in this country?

I have a friend who is a female lawyer. She homeschooled for years before transitioning her children to Catholic schools and still practices family law from a home office. Yet, she volunteers with Homeschool Legal Advantage instead because HSLDA refused to let her work with them.

So Farris can *say* he's always valued the worth of women more than Phillips but only a complete devaluation of women would create a policy that banned all female lawyers from a legal defense organization in the first place.

If Michael Farris is sincere in his position, will he NOW permit female lawyers to volunteer with HDSLDA or will he continue to discriminate against them on the stance that all females belong in the home and therefore it violates the beliefs of HSLDA to allow women who are lawyers to assist in defending the rights of homeschoolers in this country?

I have a friend who is a female lawyer. She homeschooled for years before transitioning her children to Catholic schools and still practices family law from a home office. Yet, she volunteers with Homeschool Legal Advantage instead because HSLDA refused to let her work with them.

So Farris can *say* he's always valued the worth of women more than Phillips but only a complete devaluation of women would create a policy that banned all female lawyers from a legal defense organization in the first place.

Wow I didn't know that. Thought I shouldn't be surprised :/

HSLDA will take a "stand" for or against anything that will gain them the most followers. This isn't about protecting children or women, this is about making them money.

Exactly. There were a number of people, myself included, on big homeschool forums and FB groups who brought up past support of Vision Forum and Dougie in discussions about whether or not to pay for HSLDA membership. In my case, I mentioned several times that I wasn't ever interested in HSLDA anyway, I don't see it as necessary for most families, but that I would never give my money to a group associated with Vision Forum or Gothard. I was far from the only one with that viewpoint, and I'm sure there are many more places across the 'net and in person where that same conversation was happening.

Whatever this Faris fellow is, he does not seem to be dumb. If association with Phillips and Gothard are hurting business? Better separate from them.

Secular homeschoolers are taking over a bigger slice of the percentage pie, too, and right now HSLDA isn't all that attractive to anyone who doesn't fit the fundie mold. I also saw some discussions recently about how lots of homeschooling families wouldn't pay HSLDA because they didn't think they would represent people who weren't uber-Christian of a certain variety. Oooh, look at that! A statement about how they won't even ask about your religion before they help you. Almost like magic, huh?

That said, I'm still shocked that he posted this. While it does answer some of the criticism of late, it also might alienate lots of fundie homeschoolers. They do still make up a very large percentage of homeschooling families. Should be interesting to see how it plays out!

Also, I love Beall's righteous indignation wholeheartedly.

There's already a thread about Michael Farris' statement, but I think this one should stand on its own because the article headline specifically mentions the Duggars.

I posted that link on our FB. I enjoy when I get to say Duggars on our facebook and twitter. It tends to spool up the leghumpers ;)

And the battle continues. Please, keep fighting with one another! By By Jennifer McBride

.noblewomanhood.com/2014/a-line-in-the-sand-and-a-knife-in-the-back-a-response-to-michael-farris/

Is there some kind of manual you get as a fundie that forbids the use of paragraphs and says to just write a big wall of text and you will win them over?

I know I have no room to talk because I am a "big wall of text" writer myself, but I at least try to make things interesting by using paragraphs, white space, bold, underline, maybe even some color once in a while ;)

I didn't make it all the way through this post before my eyes glazed over.

Just checked HSLDA's FB page - 65 responses to Beall's comment, and a lot of them are calling bullshit. One example:

Beall, I'm sorry for your pain, I really am, but you simply don't get a pass on this one. You can't publish controversial material like this and then claim innocence when called on the carpet. Please let us know where Mike Farris is in error regarding your and Doug's teaching and the teaching of VF. The onus is on you to clarify your position and clearly explain where you have been misunderstood. When I first found Vision Forum's website a few years ago, I came to the same conclusions as Mike did. If you believe women should be able to vote, and hold equal positions with men on boards and other areas of influence, then please publicly recant your statements and articles, repent of your miscommunication, and apologize to to those who took your teachings to heart and were hurt as a result. For the record, I am not a "cultural feminist" or a member of NOW, or an "extreme liberal". I am a stay-at-home homeschooling (by my choice), highly educated, complementarian, conservative mother who is happy to be married to a man who supports my current vocational choice.

Marianthelibrarian, I love that you used 'high dudgeon'. I haven't seen that phrase since I stopped reading shitty 19th century lit. Lol.

Marianthelibrarian, I love that you used 'high dudgeon'. I haven't seen that phrase since I stopped reading shitty 19th century lit. Lol.

[emoji1] "Lord Phillips" sounds like something right out of shitty 19th century lit, too. Just when we thought we'd heard everything about Dougie...

Exactly. There were a number of people, myself included, on big homeschool forums and FB groups who brought up past support of Vision Forum and Dougie in discussions about whether or not to pay for HSLDA membership. In my case, I mentioned several times that I wasn't ever interested in HSLDA anyway, I don't see it as necessary for most families, but that I would never give my money to a group associated with Vision Forum or Gothard. I was far from the only one with that viewpoint, and I'm sure there are many more places across the 'net and in person where that same conversation was happening.

Whatever this Faris fellow is, he does not seem to be dumb. If association with Phillips and Gothard are hurting business? Better separate from them.

Secular homeschoolers are taking over a bigger slice of the percentage pie, too, and right now HSLDA isn't all that attractive to anyone who doesn't fit the fundie mold. I also saw some discussions recently about how lots of homeschooling families wouldn't pay HSLDA because they didn't think they would represent people who weren't uber-Christian of a certain variety. Oooh, look at that! A statement about how they won't even ask about your religion before they help you. Almost like magic, huh?

Even if it's for completely calculated self-interested motives, I think it's almost always a good thing when any high profile person or organization reverses a harmful attitude. They may be completely insincere in their beliefs -- but at least some of their followers will open their mind a little bit.

I'm really surprised that organizations like Vision Forum were able to to be a force at all with how extremist they are. I can see the initial appeal of the cool toys and costumes and romanticized ideals of a genteel life. Or even some of the their views on role division and hierarchy in the family and keeping kids at home until marriage-- it probably appeals to people who fear out of control teens and the chaotic pace of life. BUT --- Don't people run once they start talking about women not needing to vote :shock:

I just skimmed through the comments on FB, and I don't see the Part 2 that Beall promised. Am I missing it or is Beall just being a tease?

I just skimmed through the comments on FB, and I don't see the Part 2 that Beall promised. Am I missing it or is Beall just being a tease?

Either that or Lord Phillips' attorney smacked Doug Beall for writing stuff like this during pending litigation.

Archived