IGNORED

7 Sisters "EPIC" birthday party

IReallyAmHopewell

Maybe I have a soft spot for the seven sisters because I dressed like that for a few years back in the day, but....I like them. They look like they have such a good time; when was the last time you saw a photo of a Maxwell where it looked like they were genuinely, out of control belly laughing? That's right, NEVER. These girls are always smiling and pulling silly faces and having fun.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't you think these women --even the ones who are over 25 years old-- would run screaming away in a fit of giggles if a man ever looked at them twice? I don't know if "mommy and daddy" are preparing them in any way, shape or form to ever be courted. I see no evidence of it.

From a purely cynical point of view, I can understand the parents wanting keep one or two of their "old maids" around forever to care for them as they age--but I don't understand wanting to keep all 7 of them around.

I have to say, I live less than 10 minutes from the 7 sisters and I have no clue who would possibly be local and interested in courting them. I'm the same age as the oldest girls and I know I have no desire to go bust down their door and start jumping through the courtship hoops. I don't know of any other family's this extreme around here which would leave them having to search a long ways out to find someone and greatly limits the number of guys they may find. I just don't think there has been very many options for them to leave home.

Also they are REALLY TALL. Sounds minor but I doubt fundie guys would want a girl taller than them and I think all the older girls are 5'10+ judging by others in their photos.

I have to say, I live less than 10 minutes from the 7 sisters and I have no clue who would possibly be local and interested in courting them. I'm the same age as the oldest girls and I know I have no desire to go bust down their door and start jumping through the courtship hoops. I don't know of any other family's this extreme around here which would leave them having to search a long ways out to find someone and greatly limits the number of guys they may find. I just don't think there has been very many options for them to leave home.

They just need to go to Bible School a few years and meet some guys. There are quite a few week-long Bible schools run by the headcovering/cape dress fundie churches every fall, all over the US.

Not that the guy selection is a hot bed of testosterone, :lol: but some of the guys are tall. (i actually kind-of-know at least one of the people in this video - John D. Martin, he was our choir director for several years of Bible School.)

[bBvideo 560,340:1j1xh9jq]

[/bBvideo]

They just need to go to Bible School a few years and meet some guys. There are quite a few week-long Bible schools run by the headcovering/cape dress fundie churches every fall, all over the US.

Not that the guy selection is a hot bed of testosterone, :lol: but some of the guys are tall. (i actually kind-of-know at least one of the people in this video - John D. Martin, he was our choir director for several years of Bible School.)

[bBvideo 560,340:3r4is5yy]

[/bBvideo]

Cool! Thanks for posting the video, Coco. I probably have at least a handful of acquaintances--if not relatives--in that crowd. I agree that the seven sisters could slide right into a setting like this, although my guess is that the seven sisters would probably fair even better at a Charity Bible school than a conservative Mennonite one where 95% are ethnic Mennonites.

Are these the girls who once went for a walk and found a perfect bunch of roses on the roadside and then took them home and posted a blog entry about how god had gifted them with these lovely flowers, completely oblivious to the obvious fact those flowers had been placed on the roadside as a memorial?

Are these the girls who once went for a walk and found a perfect bunch of roses on the roadside and then took them home and posted a blog entry about how god had gifted them with these lovely flowers, completely oblivious to the obvious fact those flowers had been placed on the roadside as a memorial?

Pretty sure that is a different family. These are the stand with no shoes on the train tracks singing sisters. I feel sorry for them. I've known enough fundies who were miserable inside but put up a good show for the world to think that all of these adult women are actually happy being perpetual children.

I'm kind of weirded out by the way the adult daughters call their parents "Mommy and Daddy" on their public blog; it just strikes me as so emotionally stunted to not refer to them as "Mom and Dad" like most adult women.

Is this the family with the 20-something SAHDs who share a bed?

I'm kind of weirded out by the way the adult daughters call their parents "Mommy and Daddy" on their public blog; it just strikes me as so emotionally stunted to not refer to them as "Mom and Dad" like most adult women.

Is this the family with the 20-something SAHDs who share a bed?

I'd forgotten that but yes, it is. A very small bed at that.

I have to say their latest blog post is very touching. A friend of theirs mom died suddenly from a stroke. She talks about how much she likes this family and how much they learned from them ( there are pictures of sleeveless girls!) not patronizing, just genuine concearn.

If they've shared a bed all their life I doubt it bothers them.

I think one of the fatal flaws in the courtship movement is the co-movement to live in isolated back-of-beyond locations where the parents can isolate their children and choose to barely educate, never vacinate, never see a real doctor, never take the kids even to the store lifestyle that makes so much of QF/Patriarchy possible. There are no "like-minded" people nearby so no "fellowship" opportunities. These girls do see other people (not all families do) and may go to a real, albeit very small and conservative, Church (many other such families do homechurch with Dad leading it). Still, 7 adults daughters (someday) living at home would get pretty old for all concerned.

they seem really nice, but they all strike a weird chord with me because, frumpers and headcoverings aside, it all seems like snapshots out of my childhood/adolescence. maybe it's because i'm introverted and kinda anti-social, but all the "fun" activities for me were forced and i didn't enjoy them, despite putting on a smile. i was never really sure why something was considered to be "fun" but i just went along with it because i didn't really have another option.

i'm not saying this about any of the girls, maybe they genuinely like all their activities (even though it's probably all they know in terms of "fun"), i'm just rambling about my own experiences. feel free to ignore.

But what makes them really amazing is that they really don't seem to give a fuck if they are broken out, or making weird faces or they are photographed at an unflattering angle, orif they are just doing silly stuff that makes them look goofy. How many other teens ( or adults!) are that secure in themselves?

That's exactly one of the reasons why I like their blog. I personally would not want to dress or live quite like they do, but they seem very happy and I think some of that is contagious when I read there.

I agree. I really can't snark on them. They seem fully accepting of other people not like themselves (Maxwells...Andersons...Shupes take notice). They aren't telling me I'm doing it all wrong. And it does make me happy to see their fun.

Frankly, I worry about them when they don't post for awhile.

• 10 months later...
Also they are REALLY TALL. Sounds minor but I doubt fundie guys would want a girl taller than them and I think all the older girls are 5'10+ judging by others in their photos.

In one of the recent posts about the fair, it's mentioned that Susanna is six feet tall. So you can compare from that.

If they've shared a bed all their life I doubt it bothers them.

I think one of the fatal flaws in the courtship movement is the co-movement to live in isolated back-of-beyond locations where the parents can isolate their children and choose to barely educate, never vacinate, never see a real doctor, never take the kids even to the store lifestyle that makes so much of QF/Patriarchy possible. There are no "like-minded" people nearby so no "fellowship" opportunities. These girls do see other people (not all families do) and may go to a real, albeit very small and conservative, Church (many other such families do homechurch with Dad leading it). Still, 7 adults daughters (someday) living at home would get pretty old for all concerned.

Yes, it seems they didn't really think their clever plan all the way through. Keep your kids home and isolated, but expect them to marry at a young age. Do they think God will literally drop spouses on the front porch?

There's an Arndt blog post from a couple of the guys driving home from one of their isolated-cabin-in-the-woods "vacations" and they happen to drive past Lambeau Field on game day when people are tailgating. And it was just "so much fun" to drive past and see people tailgating. Just awesome. They were so lucky to see that. But I don't think it even occurred to them that they could stop, park and walk around, maybe even find someone with extra tickets and go to the game. Nope. The thrill was in driving past and this was one of the great things that happened as part of their vacation.

Now maybe they did stop but have to keep it a secret from Mommy and Daddy. But I doubt it. Some of them went to Florida for a few days to photograph a wedding and there's no indication they spoke to anyone outside the wedding or did anything more that swim in the hotel pool. They're trained not to mingle.

I haven't explored all of the fundie families, but it seems like none of the parents were raised the way they're raising their children. The parents met in the usual ways, dated and are, of course, deliriously happy and in love with each other. But that's the wrong way to do it.

I have a friend from college who turned fundie. After she was married, she decided pre-marital sex was wrong. She had plenty of sex and fun in college and while she was single. But now she wants to deny that to other people.

That seems typical of the fundies. We had fun and are now happily married, but you, my children who I love, get a life of isolation and drudgery.

I haven't explored all of the fundie families, but it seems like none of the parents were raised the way they're raising their children. The parents met in the usual ways, dated and are, of course, deliriously happy and in love with each other. But that's the wrong way to do it.

I have a friend from college who turned fundie. After she was married, she decided pre-marital sex was wrong. She had plenty of sex and fun in college and while she was single. But now she wants to deny that to other people.

That seems typical of the fundies. We had fun and are now happily married, but you, my children who I love, get a life of isolation and drudgery.

Yes, I've noticed this to! I suppose many of the parents feel they made mistakes when they were heathens and they're misguidedly trying to protect their children. Another possibility I've considered is some of the fathers are just narcissistic control freaks and fundamentalism provides a justification for their actions.

Regardless, I find it very strange that college educated parents wouldn't want to provide their children with an education. They need to be able to get a job. A college education might enable them to support the multitude of children they're expected to produce. I understand that the girls aren't expected to work outside the home, but life doesn't always go as planned. Their husband might die, become disabled, or lose his job.

Plus, don't they realize their kids need life skills? Socialization?

Cassia is training to be an EMT! That means she will take classes with non-fundies and go to a secular, accredited school. :D She'll be less isolated; I'm excited for her!

On a sad note, she admits she was suicidal as a teenager.

ETA: I know I'm getting more off topic, but people are talking about isolation. So, this fits with the previous discussion...I wanted to start a new thread for it, but I can't because of my post count.

• 2 weeks later...
Someone should have given her the birthday gift of Clearasil.

I'll just be over sitting in bitch corner if anyone needs me...

Their pimples bother you? Maybe it's not important to put chemicals to their face or maybe they did but it couldnt help. omg

I love this sisters. They maybe have no options right now to leave home, but allowance for nature to have them desire a partner. If they still smiling and enjoying single life home with parents as a one family, I think they wouldnt have smiles and happy and good times at home. I don't believe its good to push any one to partnership. This is the only one family I folow and I believe it if they wanted to marry the father would go wit it because the bibles ays so.

Regardless, I find it very strange that college educated parents wouldn't want to provide their children with an education. They need to be able to get a job. A college education might enable them to support the multitude of children they're expected to produce. I understand that the girls aren't expected to work outside the home, but life doesn't always go as planned. Their husband might die, become disabled, or lose his job.

Plus, don't they realize their kids need life skills? Socialization?

I dont know of how much socialization they having, but I watch the videoes and they do go outside the home farm. Maybe a little socialization is more good that not going to Starbucks as they do go?

I move from middle east to USA New York and I went to New York upstate religious farm visits and also Amish visits in Pennsylvannia. Both of them have a big community to believe the same. Its like any other devoted community in the world. They like it that way but some few dont and they leave. Its more than religion but a life way and I respect them for it that they don t go the other way of they dont want to or if theyre still deciding what best for them.

I see that every girl and boy have being taught to them skill like seamstress, farmer, mechanic, artisan or home skill to be a home manager. Everyone not has to go to college or want it or need it to support they selves if they have no partner. I am a college Master degree so i have no prejudice.

I fight hard for the seven sisters because I believe they are so happy, not like all the other "fundies".

And I like their dress clothes. Simple and easy and nice to have the legs free!

Thank you for your post, it give me a opportunity to contribute.

I dont know of how much socialization they having, but I watch the videoes and they do go outside the home farm. Maybe a little socialization is more good that not going to Starbucks as they do go?

I move from middle east to USA New York and I went to New York upstate religious farm visits and also Amish visits in Pennsylvannia. Both of them have a big community to believe the same. Its like any other devoted community in the world. They like it that way but some few dont and they leave. Its more than religion but a life way and I respect them for it that they don t go the other way of they dont want to or if theyre still deciding what best for them.

I see that every girl and boy have being taught to them skill like seamstress, farmer, mechanic, artisan or home skill to be a home manager. Everyone not has to go to college or want it or need it to support they selves if they have no partner. I am a college Master degree so i have no prejudice.

I fight hard for the seven sisters because I believe they are so happy, not like all the other "fundies".

And I like their dress clothes. Simple and easy and nice to have the legs free!

Thank you for your post, it give me a opportunity to contribute.

There is a lot of abuse in Amish communities. Not all that looks happy is actually happy.

We don't really know if the Seven Sisters are happy. One has blogged about suffering from depression that is so bad she wanted to kill herself, yet on the blog she seemed happy and content. Having been around so many families like this, I have a hard time believing all of them are really happy with the lifestyle.

There is a lot of abuse in Amish communities. Not all that looks happy is actually happy.

We don't really know if the Seven Sisters are happy. One has blogged about suffering from depression that is so bad she wanted to kill herself, yet on the blog she seemed happy and content. Having been around so many families like this, I have a hard time believing all of them are really happy with the lifestyle.

This very interesting, yes I read about the depression, but I think mybe no matter what this woman will feel it because depression is everywhere.

One thing I notice in the Christmas video is that the oldest boy get scolde by the father for small issues. I feel like the father likes the girls more than the boys, maybe because he know he has control over them and he knows the boys will be home leaders one day so he will have no control over them?

And yes, after I read your message, I research and see that abuse is a lot in Amish families.

But I always liked the Seven Sisters, maybe in my heart I want it to believe they are all happy.

Since they have no real choice in the matter, I hope that they are happy too, but just from my experience with fundie families, I would be surprised if they are all really happy. I was chatting with one of my cousins a couple of months ago and she mentioned how she always loved how happy my family was and wished her family could be that happy. The period she was talking about was actually a very miserable time, especially for me, but even extended family didn't really pick up on it. Even when I explained that during that period we were members of an abusive cult and I was being sent to a training center to be brainwashed, she still didn't want to believe that we weren't what she thought we were.

The seven sisters are like the Arndts in that I wonder what their parents did to them to keep them all at home. I don't think it is healthy to raise adults who don't show any desire to really grow up and be independent.

Archived