IGNORED

John David Autistic?

Sweet Fellowship

You're so right, OneFifthQuiverfull... totally different guy. Mr. Four comes off as arrogant, angry, or disinterested, but sometimes, downright dumb. He'll false start with a response.. and allow himself to be cut off... so he looks dumb. Believe me, he is not.

So I'm thinking that John David Duggar, raised in isolation, is naturally shy, and had never learned to speak to "outsiders" before he had to speak to the entire viewing public via camera.

You're so right, OneFifthQuiverfull... totally different guy. Mr. Four comes off as arrogant, angry, or disinterested, but sometimes, downright dumb. He'll false start with a response.. and allow himself to be cut off... so he looks dumb. Believe me, he is not.

So I'm thinking that John David Duggar, raised in isolation, is naturally shy, and had never learned to speak to "outsiders" before he had to speak to the entire viewing public via camera.

Plus Josh always did all the speaking, so that gave JD less opportunities to learn.

In most big families that I know (big being around 7, not 19), none of the kids end up shy. I pointed that out to my friend once who was one of seven, and she said she thinks it's because you always have someone to talk to, and you have to learn to be assertive to fight over resources.

I'm not sure I'd say JD, or any of the Duggar kids, is actually shy. Just not super outgoing.

And John David not only had Josh to compete with but Jana. Whenever Michelle talks about Jana as a young girl she mentions how much she was like Hannie. Can you imagine being a naturally quiet kid with Josh as your older brother and Hannie as your twin sister. Plus he was quickly followed by three more girls who probably are all more talkative then him.

I really think he is just a good old boy from the South. He probably doesn't like the cameras and doesn't like to talk.

My husband is super quiet and has few words in a lot of social situations. However he is one of the smartest people I know- has several degrees and a great job. He is super funny also. He is just reserved.

He just seems like a normal mid -twenties guy who tends more towards physical pursuits than verbal. He kind of reminds me of one of my sons. If by some bizarre twist of fate he was on a reality show he would probably avoid the camera as much as possible, and only manage to get out some dumb jokes if put on the spot.

I think people are judging how shy or intelligent or introverted he is or if he has any issues based on his behavior in a very bizarre and unnatural setting.

Josh and Jill seems to have always loved the spotlight and chatting it up in the talking heads, but it's quite possible that neither J.D. or Jana felt comfortable being filmed and followed around by camera crews and framing their every thought in sound bites. I don't think that's odd at all. Most people aren't actors for a reason.

I think he is just a guy in his mid-twenties with average intelligence who doesn't talk much.

It is often thought that people who are not very outgoing or just do not talk much are less intelligent. That's why a lot of people think that Jill is very intelligent in comparison to her siblings. Well, I just think she is more outgoing and that is it. She is not more intelligent than Jinger, Jana, Jessa or JD.

I don't think he's less intelligent because he doesn't talk much, I think he's less intelligent because when he DOES talk, he doesn't sound very intelligent. Don't get me wrong, not everyone needs to be smart as a whip. John David seems like a capable, hard worker, and that counts for a lot. I just don't get the impression that he's particularly bright. Totally willing to be proved wrong, though. :D

I've been working with people on the autism spectrum for six years, and I don't see it in JD. Of course, I don't know what he's like off-camera, but I don't think he is.

I just watched the 2009 shows where they were in a Christmas parade, and John David built the stable for the living Nativity. I also watched the diamond mining one where he played a prank.. seeding the ground with fake diamonds. JD had quite a bit of confessional time, and acquitted himself quite well. He was smiling, articulate, and really seemed to be enjoying himself.

Watching JD when he is with Lawson & Nathan Bates, I see a very normal lad. Social skills seem quite normal when he interacts with them. I think he just doesn't fit with the whole Duggar thing.

I have one child who is very different to my others - different personality, different interests, etc. I think JD is a bit like that - very different to Josh & the sisters that are close in age. In Duggarland you aren't allowed to be different so JD is pushed into roles that don't really suit who he is. Let the lad quit music lessons and play footy instead and I think we would see a very different person.

I have worked with individuals who have intellectual/developmental disabilities for 40yrs. I have never had a red flag moment about JD being on the "spectrum". IMO,he appears introverted and shy and is the kind of guy who says what he has to say and that's it. He may be quite different within a small group of people that he knows well or one on one with friends,family,etc.

Watching JD when he is with Lawson & Nathan Bates, I see a very normal lad. Social skills seem quite normal when he interacts with them. I think he just doesn't fit with the whole Duggar thing.

I have one child who is very different to my others - different personality, different interests, etc. I think JD is a bit like that - very different to Josh & the sisters that are close in age. In Duggarland you aren't allowed to be different so JD is pushed into roles that don't really suit who he is. Let the lad quit music lessons and play footy instead and I think we would see a very different person.

Only Gothard is allowed to play footy!!!

Archived