IGNORED

A mildly interesting survey of Maxwell blog closings

shedemei

Shedemi, that list in your OP is also quite popular with scam artists who email you offering you millions of pounds! I'm always getting that in my spam folder (I have to check it as I've had genuine messages go in there by mistake before). Sometimes if I'm feeling vaguely bored, I'll scambait them.

http://www.419eater.com/

A lot of spammers use text generation (using Markov chains) to generate their messages. Since a lot of the later 419 scams bring in religion I'm not surprised that fundiespeak would be in there; they likely use religious blog posts as seeds.

It's an interesting connection, as IMO a lot of this fundie bullshit is one of the biggest scams in society!

Sarah is never leaving unless she leaves on her own or Teri leaves Steve. I highly doubt it would happen. I think she does realize on the things she missed out on. Even in fundie land she's too old to court or have a ton of kids. Plus who would want Steve as a father in law. I just don't understand why Steve had kids if all he's going to do is keep them at home until he dies. Most fundie and normal people are excited to marry off or let their offspring leave the nest. Steve could be enjoying retirement right now but he still has all his adult children living at home. I wish the pony train would end.

i wonder if Sarah has a hopechest. If she started it in her early teens some things could have been in there for 20 years. My parents used to give us Christmas and birthday presents that would go directly into storage. Once i got a salad spinner and a airbake cookie sheet. The weird things you have in your closet as a fundie. :lol: My sisters and i bought dish sets on sale, silverware, the whole works, all stored up waiting. It just felt weird not to be using things so practical until some misty moment in the future. And it was even weirder to crack open all those boxes when i left home and got my own little place -- the setting was WAY different than i'd planned, but it was nice to be "living" a little bit of the dream, anyway.

I even had some baby shoes i found on sale and some little clothes. This was before i even had a sign of a guy interested in me. The crazy thing about hopechests - the reality is almost never like the imagined scenario. I barely even used the baby clothes i had put away, it just didn't seem relevant when the time came. Married life with a newborn just didn't fit in with my romantic sepia fantasies. :lol: This is just my opinion, but It's much better for young adults to build a savings account to use outfitting a house together with their fiancee or even, alone, whatever the case may end up being. It would be so tragic if Sarah has some tiny baby things just gathering dust.

Here's a post from Ypestis a couple of years ago.

The Maxwells are an uptight bunch who shelter themselves to such an extent that they have sapped all joy and laughter out of their lives. Poor Sarah Maxwell was probably a normal girl until she was confined into this bizarre world.

Years back, when they had a forum on their "preparing daughters" website, Sarah moderated that board. Suddenly, Sarah made the announcement that there would be no more talk of "hope chests", which are drawers young fundie maidens have to keep items collected during their singlehold to take to their marriage home.

Sarah said the reason was because talk of hope chests make girls who have not yet been "called" to marry yet feel bad. Sarah also stated that God did not call all young girls to marry, and we should all prepare for that as well. Therefore, hope chests thwarts God's will. This was about the time when Sarah was....23? 24? I kind of figured it was at an age when Sarah was feeling very upset and frustrated with her single status. To hear all that chatter from much younger girls about marriage must have left a horrible taste in her mouth. Her parents probably convinced her to get rid of the annoying premarriage chatter, saying it was ungodly or whatnot, to make her feel better.

I get the impression the Maxwell parents are actively or consciously preventing Sarah from marriage. It's their stubbornness in the belief of their own superiority and holiness that has caused this action, and they are too arrogant to see that. They don't realize their restrictive lifestyle is preventing their children from finding spouses. They don't realize their choices are what's harming them. Instead, they believe they are living by the word of God, and everything will fall in line as God intended.

I felt bad for Sarah back then. I still feel bad for her now. I'm a secular, liberal unfeminine man-girl per Daddy Maxwell and I'm getting married before his oldest daughter.

I have always felt that way about the Maxwell girls. However, the people who r nuns have probably lived in the "world" before they made this dicision but the Maxwell girls have not and will not.

And nuns have a more dynamic life than these girls. Most nuns are teaching or administrating in schools, visiting the sick, we have a group that makes cheeses nearby (the head of this business has a Doctorate in microbiology I think) and speaking at various events. They are part of the main stream world!

I have an acquaintance who was a Carmelite nun. (They're the ones who don't leave the cloister ever and who's idea of helping is to pray). I'm pretty sure even she had a more exciting life than the Maxwells. At very least, it was her choice to join. And she had a decent education beforehand.

As sad as it is if Sarah wanted to marry and isn't allowed, in the greater scheme of things, the more of these well known fundie "Spinsters" die virgins, the better it is for society as it shines a bright light on the insanity that is fundie patriarchy. Note, I don't use the term Spinster about general unmarried women. My sister is 55 and never married--but that has been her choice and she has a seriously great life going on. Sarah's extended stay at home daughterhood is a result of her father's choices, not her own and lives in a culture where she and others expected her to center her life around marrying and having children.

I view her as a living sacrifice to her father's controlling nature.

Exactly, it isn't god's will that keeps her unmarried and in a state of perpetual childhood. It's Stevehovah and his all controlling will.

Archived