IGNORED

and now lauren bacall

crazyforkate

I'm honestly heartbroken over this, way more than RW - she meant a lot ti me in my youth. I even wrote to her and got an autographed photo - will treasure it always. RIP beautiful legend. This is the end of an era - she was a last link in some ways. Man, this has been a lousy week.

She was a beautiful person, both inside and out and a terrific actress. She was a died-in-the wool liberal and she and Bogie were quite outspoken in the McCarthy era against the anti-Red witch hunts.

There are several famous actresses from the Golden Age of film still living. Luise Rainer, who won the Academy Award twice for Best Actress in the 30s, is still living at 104, IIRC. Olivia de Havilland is either 98 or 99. She and TCM host Robert Osborne talk on the phone every Sunday. Maureen O'Hara is still living at 90+ and was a special guest at this year's TCM Classic Film Festival. Doris Day and Janis Paige are still living. Doris celebrated her 90th birthday earlier this year. Janis is past 90, as well. Doris and Janis were in a movie together, Romance on the High Seas. There are even several performers that got their start in Silent films. A couple of them were in Our Gang comedies during the silent era: Dickie Moore (who is married to Jane Powell) and Mildred Kornmann, but at least one was an adult. At least one of the Watson children still live. It's not Bobs Watson who was in Boys Town, though. Eva Marie Saint is still living, too, but I don't think she made a movie until On the Waterfront in the 50s.

I realize I didn't mention any men. Kirk Douglas is 97. I don't know off-hand any other nonagenarian actors. Eli Wallach recently died at the age of 88 (his widow Anne Jackson is 87) and he was active into his 90s. James Garner also recently died and was 86. Charles Lane, the character actor whose his face is familiar if not his name, lived past his 100th birthday. They paid tribute to him at the TV Land Awards his centenary year. He said he was still available for work.

Archived