IGNORED

Apostasy = death pamphlet written by local Iman

2xx1xy1JD

Oh. My. God. I've known many Muslims, and not a single one is like you think they're all like. The Muslims I've known have all been fine with other people having rights in the US and other places, including to abortion and marriage equality. Where bets are off is if you choose to go to a country with laws requiring coverings or banning certain actions. But in the US? You can do what you want. Muslims aren't trying to position themselves in government to start mandated Islamic prayers and head-coverings for women. Christian fundies, OTOH, ARE trying to position themselves in a way to FORCE their practices onto all people. Aside from the UU, there aren't really any branches of Christianity that openly accept gays. At best, it's "homosexuality is bad, but still love that sinner anyway."

Also good to know that practices that are "weird" because you don't participate are good for your entertainment.

Well it's my experience that almost no Muslims are OK with gay rights, elective abortion, etc., vs your experience that most are okay with it, until someone finds statistics. I might look when I get home.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh. My. God. I've known many Muslims, and not a single one is like you think they're all like. The Muslims I've known have all been fine with other people having rights in the US and other places, including to abortion and marriage equality. Where bets are off is if you choose to go to a country with laws requiring coverings or banning certain actions. But in the US? You can do what you want. Muslims aren't trying to position themselves in government to start mandated Islamic prayers and head-coverings for women. Christian fundies, OTOH, ARE trying to position themselves in a way to FORCE their practices onto all people. Aside from the UU, there aren't really any branches of Christianity that openly accept gays. At best, it's "homosexuality is bad, but still love that sinner anyway."

Also good to know that practices that are "weird" because you don't participate are good for your entertainment.

DGayle - I assume that you are living in an area where Muslims are a minority.

Minority religious groups don't - and can't - act like majority groups, because they simply don't have the numbers. Any group that is in the minority will realize that they need to advocate for multiculturalism and religious tolerance, instead of expecting government to legislate their version of morality on everyone.

That's not a reflection on the religion. It's a reflection of numbers and potential political power.

Where I live, Christian fundie political power isn't any stronger than Muslim fundie political power. In fact, they teamed up when it came to fighting the new sex ed curriculum:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... le4189246/

Archived