IGNORED

Happy Birthday to Stevie Maxwell (and a BIG newsflash)

Justme

If one of the Maxwell women escapes, I think Curious will need to send emergency alerts, and vials of smelling salts, to every FJ member.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate to bring the conversation further down, but I'd say that none of the reversals have a chance. John, Joseph, Jesse, Anna, Mary. None of them remember life the way Sarah, Nat and Chris vaguely do.

I've given way too much thought to this. I think the girls stand very little chance. Maybe Mary since she is so young still and definitely a looker (and she would be the one Steve would let go if he really thought it was affecting business). But I think the boys do have a chance of marrying.

The marriage train has, and will continue to, slow down as they get weirder and weirder, but the gender breakdown is in the men's favor, they will be able to live within Steve's approved area, and the family is well established per their society's standards. I imagine there are a lot of SAHDs in very poor families who have very few romantic illusions about marriage, and would be more than happy to join a family where three square meals and a comfortable home is assured. I think within the next few years either John or Joe will marry. Not anyone as fun as a Munck, but someone along NR-Anna's lines.

Sadly, I think the Maxwell sisters have been so isolated, and have bought into the need for females to be protected idea, that there is no hope for them to escape, outside of marriage to a man who becomes less fundy over the years.

The brothers on the other hand could possibly escape since they are out in the world to a degree.

Several years ago Teri mentioned one of the reversal brothers was interested in becoming a missionary.

Obviously that hasn't happened yet, but just the fact that it is seen as a possibility, shows how much more freedom the guys have.

Well, it's no wonder he felt uncomfortable - he was accosting young kids with balloon animals at a county fair in order to push his version of Christianity on them. I bet that deep down, the old Steve is still inside him somewhere and knows just how very creepy this comes off. It would have suited him better to sit this one out and send only the 'kids' out on this recruitment...

To the bolded: this got me thinking. Wonder if the new Steve, you know the one who went down the rabbithole, ever has to struggle with the the old Steve, the one who lived a normal life. There's bound to be some internal struggle going on and his discomfort may reflect that.

Also on "bible time" being his favorite time of day, well of course it has to be because if it was anything else, such as family time, or work time, it would be making it an idol. Can't have that.

As far as the kids, I really do think that their chances are seriously dwindling by the year. Nathan got out before things go too crazy, Christopher got out because he seriously lucked out and found someone acceptable by Maxhell standards but still it took one failed courtship before that. Joseph got dumped a week before his wedding and hasn't had any courtship since, it's been what, two years now? So he hasn't been able to find another Maxhell approved bride to move into that house of his. John Marie seems to have disappeared, whatever might have been going on that. So there's nothing on the horizon, as far as we know for Sarah or Joseph, the two that should be (by fundie standards anyway) married by now.

I don't know but suspect that Stevie's crazy is too well known even in their own circles so families are steering clear like the Muncks eventually did. Plus he has standards that are making it more impossible for future spouses to meet. Liz calling things off must have totally freaked him out so he's going to clamp down even harder on making sure any future spouse passes muster rather than realizing that maybe he needs to back off. The remaining kids have no real chance of striking out on their own between lack of decent education, real world work experience and the fact that they have been totally brainwashed into thinking following Daddy = following God. It's so messed up and they are really, really stuck. I can see 10 years from now when Steve is 73, he will have a 43 yo and a 28 yo at home.\

ETA: do agree with posters above that the boys have a better chance simply because of their gender. However, Joseph's still single and IIRC some of us her expected him to get engaged again in short order but that hasn't happened. He's handy, has a house all ready for a bride yet nothing....so not sure, the family's weirdness could be a real factor.

Y'all can't tease me with the "newsflash" stuff! I figured it was saracastic, but still a little subconcious part of me hopes everytime I open FJ that there will be a thread at the top that says "Sarah Maxwell Engaged!!!!!" with like ten pages to it in half an hour. (Aside, if that ever did happen, do you think Curious would break protocol and make it one of the black notification banners at the top? :) )

Hell, at this point I'd be pretty shocked/excited if there were any thread title with "______ Maxwell is engaged!"

At this point, I would think any news of Sarah Maxwell's engagement ("Sarah Maxwell engaged!!eleventy!! :pink-shock: ) would warrant a notification banner. It would be that mind blowing.

Also, we would be watching with bated breath, counting down the days to the wedding, watching if the future Mr. Sarah doesn't pull a Liz-style escape. Not that I would want him to do that, it would hurt poor Sarah beyond anything, but given the history of broken engagements within the family, it would bear watching.

Do you think Stevie purposely limits the number of pictures of John that end up on the blog, knowing how many FJ's find him defrauding? Or am I just a great big conspiracy theorist?

Do you think Stevie purposely limits the number of pictures of John that end up on the blog, knowing how many FJ's find him defrauding? Or am I just a great big conspiracy theorist?

I think there's probably some truth to that theory. ;)

And now watch how long it will take for John to make a post on the blog...10, 9, 8, 7, ...

In fact, they probably didn't even take him to the fair for fear he'd be abducted by a bunch of horny scantily-clad teenage girls.

In fact, they probably didn't even take him to the fair for fear he'd be abducted by a bunch of horny scantily-clad teenage girls.

But...but...women don't have sexual desires. And why would these girls throw themselves upon John without first asking for payment? It doesn't make sense.

That could be it.

Sadly, I think the Maxwell sisters have been so isolated, and have bought into the need for females to be protected idea, that there is no hope for them to escape, outside of marriage to a man who becomes less fundy over the years.

The brothers on the other hand could possibly escape since they are out in the world to a degree.

Several years ago Teri mentioned one of the reversal brothers was interested in becoming a missionary.

Obviously that hasn't happened yet, but just the fact that it is seen as a possibility, shows how much more freedom the guys have.

In theory, the guys have more freedom. Perhaps the two oldest brothers did. But the three reversal boys? Er, not so much. Teri and Steve might voice some sort of approval if one of them wants to become a missionary, but they won't let that happen. The boy would have to go to a real church and get involved in some sort of organization that sponsors missionaries. He would have to spend time alone with PEOPLE who are NOT FAMILY!!!! :pink-shock: Sure, those people will be fundies, but they will play sports and have hobbies. They might listen to Christian rock, or at least know the words to "Row, Row, Row Your Boat." They may have seen a Kirk Cameron movie or two. And this is before he leaves home to serve in a foreign land amongst the heathens. No way would any of this get past Steve. Those boys ain't going nowhere.

I think out of all the girls Mary has the best chance of being married.Steve definitely doesn't want to let go of them but he probably realizes it looks bad for their business that none of his daughters are married. Unfortunately, the big issue with Sarah at this point is age. It is going to be hard to meet a man in her age range who fit Steve's criteria and/or bends to his will. A guy around Mary's age, on the other hand, would be easier to mold to Steve's ideal. Anna may have a chance of marriage too, but I can see that window of opportunity closing fast. I think it's telling how much more effort Mary & Anna have taken with their appearances in the past few years. Steve (& I'm sure the girls too) is trying to market them as potential wives.

In theory, the guys have more freedom. Perhaps the two oldest brothers did. But the three reversal boys? Er, not so much. Teri and Steve might voice some sort of approval if one of them wants to become a missionary, but they won't let that happen. The boy would have to go to a real church and get involved in some sort of organization that sponsors missionaries. He would have to spend time alone with PEOPLE who are NOT FAMILY!!!! :pink-shock: Sure, those people will be fundies, but they will play sports and have hobbies. They might listen to Christian rock, or at least know the words to "Row, Row, Row Your Boat." They may have seen a Kirk Cameron movie or two. And this is before he leaves home to serve in a foreign land amongst the heathens. No way would any of this get past Steve. Those boys ain't going nowhere.

And if they do, we will never hear about it.

Joseph was the smirker when I pointed out failed engagements.

I wonder why he smirked.

Joseph was the smirker when I pointed out failed engagements.

It's been a long time since I read that thread - what was this exchange?

And now I'm wondering, was your Maxwell encounter before or after Joseph and Elizabeth Munck?

The bolded above made me so sad - to the Maxwell children, that would be taking a walk on the wild side...

It's been a long time since I read that thread - what was this exchange?

And now I'm wondering, was your Maxwell encounter before or after Joseph and Elizabeth Munck?

After. I told Steve he had broken his children and failed them.

I'm officially bored of the Maxwells. It's two years since Liz broke the engagement (I really hope she looks back on that as a nightmare she was strong enough to break out of), and I'd been reading for a while before that, and apart from occasional new babies NOTHING HAS CHANGED. No personal accomplishments, no professional accomplishments, NOTHING. Just the stultifying half-lives of cabinet cleaning and Bible time.

Come on, John. Break away. You can go first and get your sisters out later, like an Eastern European immigrant family of the early 20th century. Plenty of FJers would provide you with your own personal Ellis Island....

Are there any charities or organisations that would help Sarah or other Maxwell kids if they would flee from the crazy? I mean, I don't think they could survive on their own at first without help.

Archived