IGNORED

Outlander on Starz

karen77

I finally ordered the book. I have a 50 minute public trans commute every day so I figure I can get it read pretty fast.

My DH feels like they are trotting out every Scottish stereotype there is, but at the same time he enjoys shows like Rab C. Nesbitt which trot out every negative Glaswegian trope there is! He hates Downton Abbey, so I tend to think he's just flat out not interested in historical dramas.

This weekend's episode certainly did not have enough Jamie and not enough sexual tension! Not like last week's sexy "It's not weeping and has scabbed over well" :cracking-up:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read these books years ago, and have been loving the series. I think Starz has done a great job. I may have to go back and re-read the earlier books.

And I watch these alone. Not that my husband would have any interest in this series, but I prefer to watch my Jamie alone. :banana-dance:

We need a smiley with a kilt.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, the wedding!!!

I am so into the show. I read all the books, but don't want to spoil for anyone.

I am pretty obsessed with Jamie and that kilt. I'd even let Dougal grind my corn ;)

One more episode!

I read today it will return April 4.

yeah, April is WAAAYYY to far away.. ugh. I did like this last episode where they strayed from teh book just a bit...(same result of course though). And I LOVED the look on BJR's face at the end, Tobias does a WONDERFUL job with that role.

Hello, the wedding!!!

I am so into the show. I read all the books, but don't want to spoil for anyone.

I am pretty obsessed with Jamie and that kilt. I'd even let Dougal grind my corn ;)

One more episode!

I read today it will return April 4.

Possibly an unpopular opinion, but I'd prefer Dougal to grind my corn!

They have done some excellent casting!

I didn't care for Claire,but I like the actress playing her now.

I have to continue reading this series.I stopped at A Breath of Snow and Ashes.

Come on April 4!!!!!

• 1 year later...

Necroing this because I have FEELINGS DAMMIT!

I just now am getting around to 2x1. Holy crap, Cait is selling the actual fuck out of Claire coming home. I'm not real thrilled about how the telling Frank scene went, because my memory of the books had him never really believing her, and being a quite terrible husband after that, cheating on her, and I feel like there were some vague memories of him hitting her. I'll be interested in seeing if they take that someplace after this episode.

I meant to reread the books before this season started and haven't had time. Maybe I will get on that this week.

Murtahg is awesome, and Jamie is still fuckable. Also, I want Claire's clothes.

Edit: what the actual fuck Frank? WHY DID YOU BURN CLAIRE'S (valuable) CLOTHES?

Just had to get that off my chest cos it has been bothering me the last 20 minutes.

Last edit I swear: HOLY SHIT THOSE CREDITS ARE SO BEAUTIFUL! I had to rewind a couple of times to rewatch them. Gorgeous.

• 1 month later...

I read the books years ago and loved them. You all inspired me to buy the DVDs, and I'm just watched Claire and Jamie's wedding. I'm loving the series :) 

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 6:29 PM, Destiny said:

I'm not real thrilled about how the telling Frank scene went, because my memory of the books had him never really believing her, and being a quite terrible husband after that, cheating on her, and I feel like there were some vague memories of him hitting her. I'll be interested in seeing if they take that someplace after this episode.

Edit: what the actual fuck Frank? WHY DID YOU BURN CLAIRE'S (valuable) CLOTHES?

Yay! There IS an Outlnader thread here!

Frank didn't believe Claire in the book. She was so insistent and unwavering in her story that he did eventually research Jamie Fraser and found him. He never told Claire this, but he did begin to believe her. She never knew because he didn't want to lose Claire or Brianna-he was afraid Claire would go back to Jamie if she knew he lived through Culloden. 

Claire did not volunteer to take off Jamie's ring as she did in the show. She NEVER would have done that. The show is making Frank too nice, but he didn't ever hit her. I'm wondering if the marriage of Frank and Claire will be happier in the show than it was in the book.

Those clothes! I yelled at the TV when he burned them. Such a waste. Donate them! You don't have to say that your missing wife wore them home from the 18th century. You're the historian, act like it!

So, after nine episodes, do you like it? I love it, and the real Jamie is BACK! Really looking forward to Ep. 10. It's going to be a sad one.

I love the show. I know it's probably a bit of a heresy to say, but I don't adore the books. They meander a bit too much and can be boring, but I love the characters enough that I soldiered on. Fiery Cross in particular was DULL.

I meant to reread Dragonfly before season 2 started but haven't had enough time still. I will get to it soon I hope!

The saddest thing right now is the fact that there are only 4 episodes left before another long Droughtlander. :(

Yes, it's nearly over, but two more seasons will be coming! As long as I get to see Jamie and Claire reunited and then see Jamie meeting his daughter, I'll be happy. It WILL be a long wait, though.

It's kind of not a bad thing to not reread before the season starts. That way you can't be as upset over the changes the show makes. I tend to be a book purist so changes are hard for me. I'm trying hard to get over that.

I really liked the books, but there are some slower parts. Wasn't it The Fiery Cross that had the one day that went on forever?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2016 at 5:42 PM, Letgo said:

Yes, it's nearly over, but two more seasons will be coming! As long as I get to see Jamie and Claire reunited and then see Jamie meeting his daughter, I'll be happy. It WILL be a long wait, though.

It's kind of not a bad thing to not reread before the season starts. That way you can't be as upset over the changes the show makes. I tend to be a book purist so changes are hard for me. I'm trying hard to get over that.

I really liked the books, but there are some slower parts. Wasn't it The Fiery Cross that had the one day that went on forever?

I agree, I cannot wait for season 3! one of my favorite books! (book 2 was my least favorite)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 4:03 PM, karen77 said:

I agree, I cannot wait for season 3! one of my favorite books! (book 2 was my least favorite)

I am excited for Season 3. I didn't think that the show did justice to the emotions when Jamie believed Claire's unbelievable story--I mean Frank didn't even really believe that Claire had been faithful him during the war. Jamie believed she time-travelled for the most part just because she said she did--or when Jamie took Claire back to Craig na Dun and then she decided to stay, but I really don't know how they could. When I read about Claire walking into the bookshop and Jamie fainting and really just not believing she was really there, swoon, and then when they sexually found each other all over again after twenty years--I am excited to see how the show portrays this. And then, I love Brianna and Roger. Not crazy about the actress they chose- I really identified with the fact that book-Brianna was abnormally tall and big for her time (I'm not tall, just the opposite, but alike in outside of the norm)-but Cait doesn't have gold eyes and will never have to worry about extra flesh like book-Claire did, and she has completely nailed the role so I'm sure Sophie Skelton will do fine, though I am really disappointed that they didn't decide to keep her (book-Brianna's) Boston accent.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 2:22 PM, nolongerIFBx said:

I am excited for Season 3. I didn't think that the show did justice to the emotions when Jamie believed Claire's unbelievable story--I mean Frank didn't even really believe that Claire had been faithful him during the war. Jamie believed she time-travelled for the most part just because she said she did--or when Jamie took Claire back to Craig na Dun and then she decided to stay, but I really don't know how they could. When I read about Claire walking into the bookshop and Jamie fainting and really just not believing she was really there, swoon, and then when they sexually found each other all over again after twenty years--I am excited to see how the show portrays this. And then, I love Brianna and Roger. Not crazy about the actress they chose- I really identified with the fact that book-Brianna was abnormally tall and big for her time (I'm not tall, just the opposite, but alike in outside of the norm)-but Cait doesn't have gold eyes and will never have to worry about extra flesh like book-Claire did, and she has completely nailed the role so I'm sure Sophie Skelton will do fine, though I am really disappointed that they didn't decide to keep her (book-Brianna's) Boston accent.

I loved how Jamie believed Claire's time travel story! I didn't like that in the first episode of this season they had Frank believe Claire immediately. He didn't in the book-and really, who would in more modern times? Now I wonder how they will portray the marriage of Claire and Frank in Voyager. I hope they aren't going to have Claire be happy and content with Frank. She certainly seemed to be leaning that way in that episode.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing Jamie and Claire reunited! They really need to get that right. The 20 years separation just kills me. I can't even imagine. I always wish Frank had died sooner. I'm a bad person.

I was kind of surprised that they chose an actress who is only 5'8" for Brianna.  Her height was a big part of her character-it made her more Jamie's daughter. I hope they can make her look a bit like him. I also thought they'd use an American actress for the part. I hope Sophie Skelton can do a convincing American accent. I won't miss the Boston accent as it is NOT one I like. Lol  I did read somewhere that it was difficult to get an actress who was willing to commit to the long contract required by  Outlander. The part of Brianna was cast rather late so maybe they could not find someone willing to sign on for the long haul. They did know early on that they were a go for seasons 3 & 4. If they end up doing all the books they will need the character for several years.

On the other  hand, I love Richard Rankin and think he was a great choice for Roger-no qualms there. I hope he and Sophie Skelton have as much chemistry together as Sam Heughan and Caitriona Balfe do.

Can't wait to see who they choose for Young Ian-I love him! And Marsali and adult Fergus. Too bad Romann Berrux can't age enough to stay as Fergus. Season 3 can't come soon enough!

21 hours ago, Letgo said:

I loved how Jamie believed Claire's time travel story! I didn't like that in the first episode of this season they had Frank believe Claire immediately. He didn't in the book-and really, who would in more modern times? Now I wonder how they will portray the marriage of Claire and Frank in Voyager. I hope they aren't going to have Claire be happy and content with Frank. She certainly seemed to be leaning that way in that episode.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing Jamie and Claire reunited! They really need to get that right. The 20 years separation just kills me. I can't even imagine. I always wish Frank had died sooner. I'm a bad person.

I was kind of surprised that they chose an actress who is only 5'8" for Brianna.  Her height was a big part of her character-it made her more Jamie's daughter. I hope they can make her look a bit like him. I also thought they'd use an American actress for the part. I hope Sophie Skelton can do a convincing American accent. I won't miss the Boston accent as it is NOT one I like. Lol  I did read somewhere that it was difficult to get an actress who was willing to commit to the long contract required by  Outlander. The part of Brianna was cast rather late so maybe they could not find someone willing to sign on for the long haul. They did know early on that they were a go for seasons 3 & 4. If they end up doing all the books they will need the character for several years.

On the other  hand, I love Richard Rankin and think he was a great choice for Roger-no qualms there. I hope he and Sophie Skelton have as much chemistry together as Sam Heughan and Caitriona Balfe do.

Can't wait to see who they choose for Young Ian-I love him! And Marsali and adult Fergus. Too bad Romann Berrux can't age enough to stay as Fergus. Season 3 can't come soon enough!

I'm actually a book-Frank fan. Poor guy got a raw deal. I imagine that it would be hard to stay faithful to a wife who was in love with someone else and you could never quite forget that between Jamie's wedding ring and Brianna. What really made me love him is that when Claire felt like she had to decide between being a doctor or being a mother, Frank had the very modern solution--even for today it is still pretty novel--that he would care for Brianna and supported Claire continuing her studies.

I would have liked to see Blake Lively as Brianna but I knew that wasn't going to happen. Even if they had a hard time getting a long-term contract, I'm sure they still had some really awesome actresses to choose from. Ironically, I think Ryan Reynolds resembles Tobias Menzies enough--something about the eyes--that he would make a good choice for Denys Randall-Issacs. But I thought that they did an excellent job of making Laurence Dobiesz look believably like Frank's brother should, so I imagine they don't need Ryan Reynolds. Would have been neat to have both Blake and Ryan on the same show, even briefly, though. I know, it would never happen. (-;

I also think they made a good choice for Roger.

There was an actor who tried out for Roger (I watched the Vimeo's) that I thought would make a great Ian- Christien Reid. Or even William Ransom, but I liked him for Ian. Looks-wise I could go with William Ransom, but his acting along with his looks made me favor him for Ian. Be a nice break for this actor too. I hope Casting will seriously consider him.

Christien-Reid-368491-240x300.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the season is over and now we have Droughtlander until late Spring. They are going to start filming again in late July early August. Season 3 will have Scotland and some place that looks like Jamaica used to in the 18th Century. Wonder if we'll get more than 10 episodes in Season 3 & 4. 

Frank will be gone mid-season except for flashbacks. I don't think Tobias is too worried, he knocked it out of the park with The Night Manager (as did all the male leads in that...the girl-eh).I finally saw the GOT that he was in, 2nd to last one I think this season. 

Rik Ransom is a good choice for Roger, but where are the green eyes from the book. Sophie Skelton is ok as Brianna, but I see her as a taller more engaging woman. 

The scene in Dragonfly in Amber when Claire is at Lallybroch and she turns towards the gate and there stands Jamie. Oh to be young again. That man is stunning. 

Graham McTavish will be in Preacher. I watched a couple of episodes but he was just in the credits. I hope his presence will make it better. 

I'll just reread Voyageur and Fiery Cross this summer. 

Enjoy!

rocking red.jpg

• 1 year later...

Season 3 starts Sept. 10. The trailer ends with the door opening into the print shop scene. I hyperventilated and had to go lie down. 

On 7/19/2017 at 9:17 AM, AuntCloud said:

Season 3 starts Sept. 10. The trailer ends with the door opening into the print shop scene. I hyperventilated and had to go lie down. 

I must go find this and watch!

• 3 weeks later...

It is going to be impossible for the print shop scene to live up to fans expectations! It just may be the best moment in the whole series.

1 minute ago, nolongerIFBx said:

It is going to be impossible for the print shop scene to live up to fans expectations! It just may be the best moment in the whole series.

I predict lots of references to the wedding episodes - there is a direct reference in the book, plus the choreography was so beautiful and well-executed, it's already a good starting point. Sam and Caitriona have such amazing chemistry, and they're both so expressive in their body language, I hope for the best. However, the print shop scene will happen in episode 6, according to my sources.

However - I'm referring to a certain scene at the tail-end of Jamie's time at Helwater, when Lord John reassures him about Willie's well-being. It will take a certain amount of courage of the producers to stay true to the scene as written in the book. 

I think I need to re-read Voyager. IIRC- Jamie offers himself to John if he will care for Willie and John says he doesn't want someone who doesn't want him back?

2 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I think I need to re-read Voyager. IIRC- Jamie offers himself to John if he will care for Willie and John says he doesn't want someone who doesn't want him back?

Indeed, and shows the seriousness of his intentions with a kiss. For some reason I believe there was less debate about showing the very explicit violence and torture in the final two episodes of season 1 than about this one kiss. 

• 1 month later...

Just started watching the season premiere and I need a hug now. I knew what to expect but still, the opening scene hurt my heart. 

Archived