IGNORED

"We Make Reading a Priority" old article

Janes Heir

It hurts me to know those kudos do not read.

What is wrong with Little a Women? Jo is a tomboy and goes off on her own?

The Little House series? There are no talking animals in that one. No one is naked, all the girls marry. Is because the girls move away and that might give the Jslaves an idea?

The main reason I have a tablet is so I have an unlimited amount of books at my access 24/7. I don't have that lag of finishing a book in a series then waiting until the next one is available for check out. If I find an author I like I can read all their books back yo back.

How can a parent not encourage their children to read? It opens up so many new worlds.

Madame. Well, technically mademoiselle :P

The dissertation was on women, unsurprisingly. I compared Austen's portrayal with Mary Wollstonecraft's in her novels. My argument was basically that Austen criticises society while showing ways to work within it, but Wollstonecraft argues that women can't work within it. For instance, Austen's happy endings are marriages to men the women love, which in many cases provides them with financial security, but in The Wrongs of Women Wollstonecraft has a character who left her abusive husband and started a business, and he finds her and literally takes the bed out from under her because, by law, all her belongings are his. Both women would have agreed that the patriarchal culture in which they lived was harmful, but Wollstonecraft was more radical and cynical.

You are becoming one of my favourite people. I love Mary Wollstonecraft. I did a major essay on her and her contribution to 'modernity' for a history class in uni. The Duggars should read these women!

The Little House series? There are no talking animals in that one. No one is naked, all the girls marry. Is because the girls move away and that might give the Jslaves an idea?

I can see why the Duggars wouldn't want their children reading 'The Little House' series. Laura, for one, is quite the empowered woman for her day and age. She was a school teacher before she married and refused to use the word "obey" in her wedding vows. She goes to dances in town and on dates with Manly. Plus, in the books, only Laura ever marries--the other girls never do.

I'd be surprised if they didn't allow Little House books, since in one of the earliest specials while they were still building the big house, the decorator asked all the kids for their opinions on how the rooms should be set up and Jinger specifically said she'd want something themed like Little House on the Prairie.

I can see why the Duggars wouldn't want their children reading 'The Little House' series. Laura, for one, is quite the empowered woman for her day and age. She was a school teacher before she married and refused to use the word "obey" in her wedding vows. She goes to dances in town and on dates with Manly. Plus, in the books, only Laura ever marries--the other girls never do.

I forgot about those evil dances. I am sure Laura and Manly kisser before they married. Such a bad example.

I am so thankful my mom encouraged me to read. The places I have been. The things I have seen.

Someone up thread said something about Dr. Seuss. One of my favorite Dr. Suess stories is the Snitches. I am sure the Duggars hate it because we can't have our children thinking everyone is the regardless of how many stars they have. Then there is the talking cat. And really who wants green eggs and ham? It might be something that people with purple hair might eat.

The Duggars squash all the imagination out of their kids by the time they are three. So sad.

I have hard time understanding people who don't like to read and I feel sad when reading is censored.

I forgot about those evil dances. I am sure Laura and Manly kisser before they married. Such a bad example.

I am so thankful my mom encouraged me to read. The places I have been. The things I have seen.

Someone up thread said something about Dr. Seuss. One of my favorite Dr. Suess stories is the Snitches. I am sure the Duggars hate it because we can't have our children thinking everyone is the regardless of how many stars they have. Then there is the talking cat. And really who wants green eggs and ham? It might be something that people with purple hair might eat.

The Duggars squash all the imagination out of their kids by the time they are three. So sad.

My favorite Dr. Seuss book was (and still is) I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew.

Mine was always 'Oh the places you'll go'. No way in Hell the Duggars would let their kids read that. A book that's very title encourages kids independence.

The Cat in the Hat wouldn't be allowed because a talking cat convinces the children to be disobedient. THE HORROR.

Its sad when you realise that pretty much every book on my two year old's bookshelf would be unsuitable for a fundie young adult. The only one I can actually think of that they would allow is pretty much pictures of construction vehicles-and they would be horrified I let her read that because she is a girl. Or maybe some of the very simple board books, like the ones with the textured bits on pictures of farm animals, or the one which is entirely pictures of babies doing different things.

Sarah Maxwell is older than I am and could easily have a whole bunch of kids by now, and yet Steve probably would not let her watch Peppa Pig or Dinosaur Train.

Back to Harry Potter

They are like the Dursley's when Uncle Vernon told Harry that motorcycles don't fly so Harry needed to stop dreaming about such things.

If the Duggars saw their kids reading Dr. Seuss JB would tell them that cats do not talk so stop reading that trash.

Mine was always 'Oh the places you'll go'. No way in Hell the Duggars would let their kids read that. A book that's very title encourages kids independence.

That book was read out loud to us on practically every last day of school, last day of camp, and day before graduation I've ever had. It now causes me to have a Pavlovian response of crying as soon as I start hearing quotes from it.

"Growing Up Duggar" came in at work and I was flipping through it (someone had a hold on it so I couldn't borrow it myself), and under the section talking about TV, there was a quote from JBoob about how one of the reasons they shouldn't watch TV is because it stifles creativity.

Okay, one, dude, you have never seen fandom.

Two, considering how much they "make reading a priority" but have huge numbers of things they're not allowed to read, where is the creativity supposed to come from? Reading books and watching tv introduces new ideas, new ways of seeing things that expand your vision and make you more creative, if you just engage with them. Seriously, you can't say that limited media has really helped Sarah Maxwell's creativity.

I doubt the older Duggars have anything beyond a junior high school education at best. I also seriously doubt the younger Duggars do very little homeschooling. And, this another reason this kind of lifestyle is not sustainable. Each generation keeps getting dumbed down.

Children who don't read have no best friends.

Dialogue that I had with a students (8 yo)

"Is there people in books ?"

"Hm, no, why ?"

"But... The books, it's like they speak to me. I hear the books speaking in my head when I read."

"Yeah, but it's you, not the books."

"But... When I read (insert name of some books), I see the things, I see the people, it's very real, I feel like (insert name of the hero of a books) is a friends who understand me and speak to me. Having book is better than have brother, you know. So, I thought there was some magic or people inside books, who make letter so living."

hey, even a 8 yo with a lot of imagination know things better than Michelle Duggar.

Archived