IGNORED

Altar'd State- Christian clothing store

socuteyoullpuke

Has anyone else heard of this store called Altar'd State?

there's one here in asheville, it's a clothing store that kinda reminds me of a cheaply made, overly lace obsessed, Anthropologie. After a few times browsing the store, I realized they were only playing christian rock..They definitely don't have an emphasis on modest clothing.

anyway I looked up their website later and along with having an incredibly vague mission statement of helping people, they also have a captionless/descriptionless picture of a few presumably third world brown children, and one of the founders lists "one person they truly respect" as Mark Driscoll. :pink-shock: http://www.altardstate.com/our-story/pe ... ian-mason/

I'm really a rookie snarker, but I feel like the website is ripe for the picking..

They have a store going into our local mall. I commented to my husband that they chose a rather strange name. It reminded me of the old Blair Brown/William Hurt movie Altered States. Creepy movie. About drugs. My 15yo now associates that movie with the store.

Yes, I have corrupted my daughter. LOL

They really didn't think that name through very well. "Altar'd" can very well be perceived as an affront to the mentally disabled. Just saying.

pinterest.com/altardstate/

well they're going to draw ex-conservatives like flies to honey. So many of my ex-fundie ex-menno friends dress exactly like this. Heavy eyeliner, nude lipstick, dark eyebrows. And lots of burlap and lace. (or maybe that's just standard Christian fashion these days? i don't have a clue.) :lol:

Wow

This could have been an actual photo of a wedding dress recently, except the ex-fundie girl's dress had less sleeve. i had no idea that the bride was that fashion forward.

post-10046-1445199931714_thumb.jpg

That wedding dress is simply GORGEOUS. I wish I were getting married, because I want that for me!

They have more than thirty-five stores and their employees have not even collectively given 1,200 hours of volunteer work yet? Shabby.

And...SOME of their clothes are labeled "gives back!" And some are....not. What the f kind of charity system is THAT? Elsewhere on the website it says they give 1% of their profits. So...1% only from the items that "give back?" No wonder they're not even up to a million $ donated yet.

They really didn't think that name through very well. "Altar'd" can very well be perceived as an affront to the mentally disabled. Just saying.

That was my first thought as well. Or that it might sound like an insult labeling Christians as stupid. Not what you want the name of your "faith-based business" to evoke!

I do know a bit about the company. They are vaguely Christian, and about 10% of the merch they sell is outright Christian. They are closed Sundays like CFA and Hobby Lobby. The founder is a former Wal-Mart exec.

I like their clothes, though I feel I'd probably look stupid in most of them.

This is flying right over my head. Do you mean because "altar'd" sounds like "altered"? Or something else?

ETA: I love this -- altardstate.com/shop/apparel/color-wonder-cardigan.html. I might just have to crochet my own version of it.

I do know a bit about the company. They are vaguely Christian, and about 10% of the merch they sell is outright Christian. They are closed Sundays like CFA and Hobby Lobby. The founder is a former Wal-Mart exec.

I like their clothes, though I feel I'd probably look stupid in most of them.

I just looked at their store locator and the locations I saw showed open Sundays noon-6.

I like some of their clothes, although a few look sufficiently retro that the buyer may have been having an LSD flashback when she ordered them. :D

That was my first thought as well. Or that it might sound like an insult labeling Christians as stupid. Not what you want the name of your "faith-based business" to evoke!

No. Not unless you miss the fact that "alter" and "altar" are completely different words, with completely different meanings.

No. Not unless you miss the fact that "alter" and "altar" are completely different words, with completely different meanings.

Homophones yo!

Didn't some teacher just get fired for instructing people about homophones in a blog post?

Anyways, my first thought was "wow, a druggie clothing store that's Christian?" because I can totally read when I've gotten 4 hours of sleep ;).

I'm pretty sure the altar in alter'd refers to the altar at the front of the church where people go to pray. When my parents were going through their fundie-ish phase we went to a church that loved to do altar calls.

That is a rather unfortunate name.

Alter'd State sounds like the name of a head shop.

This is flying right over my head. Do you mean because "altar'd" sounds like "altered"? Or something else?

ETA: I love this -- altardstate.com/shop/apparel/color-wonder-cardigan.html. I might just have to crochet my own version of it.

maybe it sounds like 'a retard' ? That's what I thought of when polecat said it could be an insult

maybe it sounds like 'a retard' ? That's what I thought of when polecat said it could be an insult

I didn't say that -- I said if flew right over my head, which means I didn't understand. I have no idea how it is being construed as an insult. Altar DOES sound like alter, but the words mean two different things, but even so, I'm not sure how "altered" could be construed as an insult against mentally disabled people, either.

I don't think the OP has been back to explain, though.

I didn't say that -- I said if flew right over my head, which means I didn't understand. I have no idea how it is being construed as an insult. Altar DOES sound like alter, but the words mean two different things, but even so, I'm not sure how "altered" could be construed as an insult against mentally disabled people, either.

I don't think the OP has been back to explain, though.

I assumed in a "your mind is altered" as in, not normal? Or different? Anything that points out you're different is sensitive and insulting to a particular group, after all.

Alter and altar are indeed two different words, but people tend to use As and Es interchangeably, especially when the word is pronounced the same. My husband knows that "affect" and "effect" are two different words, but he pronounces them the same way and mixes them up in text, because he doesn't care enough and isn't a spelling/grammar snob like I am. I have more examples, but I've been doing laundry for about four hours and my tiny brain is fried. :angry-banghead:

To me it sounds like it comes from the same linguistic process that gave us the word "fucktard" - like an altard would be a rude way of referring to an unintelligent religious person. Or it also makes me think of this because of how it's spelled: y8ysejy3.jpg

http://www.altardstate.com/giving/

We believe in partnering with people who share our mission of giving. For every pair of TOMS purchased, a child in need receives a pair of shoes. To date, our customers have donated over 150,000 pairs.

That could hardly be more spun. They aren't partnering with anyone. They sell a brand of shoe available many places, and no, the customers aren't donating shoes. They're buying themselves shoes, and the company making those shoes donates a pair.

The total volunteer hours is also pretty pathetic. My little family of 4 has done more than half that since the beginning of January. All their many employees haven't even hit 1200.

To me it sounds like it comes from the same linguistic process that gave us the word "fucktard" - like an altard would be a rude way of referring to an unintelligent religious person. Or it also makes me think of this because of how it's spelled: y8ysejy3.jpg

Holy Christ I didn't even think of "Altar'd" as being so close to "fucktard"... it's so obvious now that you said that! Yikes!

Archived