IGNORED

Raquel's Insta-Boyfriend

fiery redhead

The university he attends is Southern Baptist :pink-shock: It is in Riverside* which would explain his flip flopping between LA and Vegas.

This brought up the point that while skimming over his posts about theology, I didn't see anything distinctly Calvinist. Did anyone else? I had just assumed he was because 1) Raquel 2) All the freaking alcohol

I guess he is just a drunken hick Baptist? I'll leave the task of delving into his beliefs to another FJer, I waste enough of my time on this stupid shit. Just, Raquel annoys me particularly bad.

Something tells me that Raquel is going to recant her current belief emphases Botkin style.

*Everytime I hear of Riverside I think of a gay sex song Andy Dick sang on Loveline with Dr. Drew about Riverside. I listened to that show all of the time when I was 13-15. Weird I know.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fruity, really? I'm sorry, I just get really annoyed when people talk about gay vibes. Personal peeve.

I can't help but think this is in some way disingenuous. I've met a lot of people online who have been exactly who they were online when I meet them IRL but this guy seems a bit too perfect for Raquel to be true. Stranger things have happened, but she is so clingy and odd that it seems to me most guys his age would run in the opposite direction.

Also, to the person who hoped her relationship would be more like Meredith's, I have to say I hope that's not the case. That relationship is weird and not at all normal. Stephen seems like a controlling creep to me who cyber stalked himself the perfect little wife. I hope this guy is nothing like that.

While I don't get 'gay vibes' from him at all, it wouldn't surprise me if young gay guys from religious backgrounds were drawn to Raquel as a beard. She seems like the type who would settle for a kiss on the cheek and think it was more romantic than sex, and she wouldn't ask too many questions.

Fruity, really? I'm sorry, I just get really annoyed when people talk about gay vibes. Personal peeve.

I can't help but think this is in some way disingenuous. I've met a lot of people online who have been exactly who they were online when I meet them IRL but this guy seems a bit too perfect for Raquel to be true. Stranger things have happened, but she is so clingy and odd that it seems to me most guys his age would run in the opposite direction.

Also, to the person who hoped her relationship would be more like Meredith's, I have to say I hope that's not the case. That relationship is weird and not at all normal. Stephen seems like a controlling creep to me who cyber stalked himself the perfect little wife. I hope this guy is nothing like that.

While I don't get 'gay vibes' from him at all, it wouldn't surprise me if young gay guys from religious backgrounds were drawn to Raquel as a beard. She seems like the type who would settle for a kiss on the cheek and think it was more romantic than sex, and she wouldn't ask too many questions.

She is the perfect beard. :P

Even he is not too perfect to be true, she seems so desperate that she may overcome her standards because there is a decent looking breathing male that is pursuing her.

Oh, I totally agree. That's why she's such an easy mark. She's proven she'll cheerfully throw aside her Christian 'morals' and sext with any guy who wants it from her and shows her a bit of attention. She is so desperate for love that it would be effortless for an abuser to sweep her off her feet by playing nice and she'd never say a word against him. She also seems very susceptible to 'nice guys' who think girls owe them sex and affection.

I question the intentions of any man who would meet Raquel online, see how she acts towards any guy who pays her the slightest attention, and then think it would be a good idea to pursue a relationship with her. Her behavior online will only attract guys who want to use her in some way and she is so desperate for attention that she will put up with anything to get it. If this guy wants her to no longer be a Calvinist I am pretty sure she will change her religious belief system to keep him.

And if Raquel ended up marrying a gay man as long as she could post pictures of him bringing her flowers and dancing in the rain with her she would put up with the lack of sex.

So this guy like Albert Mohler - the epitome of Southern Baptist, and he is part of a reformed theology group :?

Is this guy a Calvinist or not?

I question the intentions of any man who would meet Raquel online, see how she acts towards any guy who pays her the slightest attention, and then think it would be a good idea to pursue a relationship with her. Her behavior online will only attract guys who want to use her in some way and she is so desperate for attention that she will put up with anything to get it. If this guy wants her to no longer be a Calvinist I am pretty sure she will change her religious belief system to keep him.

And if Raquel ended up marrying a gay man as long as she could post pictures of him bringing her flowers and dancing in the rain with her she would put up with the lack of sex.

I especially question the intentions of them meeting online because it wasn't even through a dating site. At least with a dating site, you can see some details they've jot down before they know you exist. Meeting someone on a normal social network, especially instagram, means it's all pictures with flowery captions that could be there just to impress people. Either way, Raquel is always going to be in danger because she could be so easily abused.

I checked when she actually got back from Peru and it turns out he did not visit until a few days after she came back.

Looks like her band still hasn't done much besides the vague "recording" that they seem to perpetually be doing and having some pictures taken. I'm not sure what look Raquel was going for, Christian Goth?

https://twitter.com/wonderfallband

Looks like her band still hasn't done much besides the vague "recording" that they seem to perpetually be doing and having some pictures taken. I'm not sure what look Raquel was going for, Christian Goth?

https://twitter.com/wonderfallband

Yeah, she was probably just trying to adopt an indie look (she's in a band, from Portland, ooh) but she is so out of touch of culture besides lattes, duckface selfies, and wanna be sheologian jargon that she has no idea what look would be right.

She's done one measly cover. She should stick to kiddie Aero hoodies.

He looks a bit like Mark Wahlberg in some of those pics.

Who else thinks that Raquel, though probably quite over the moon with Mitch, will not cease to gain male attention on social networking? She retweeted some dude who posted a duck-face-one-of-many-lattes-that-day-in-hand selfies of her as his #twittercrushtuesday and her next tweet was "Add me on FB!"

Although she'll do anything to be the prey, I think she enjoys the thrill of the kill. They have not posted anything about eachother anywhere since Saturday, and yesterday on Insta she that she fell apart that morning about stress but attributed it to her overfilled schedule.

I am confused. And I shouldn't care about any of this.

Maybe I'm wrong for posting this, but those of you who do pray, please do pray for Raquel. She's obnoxious, she's annoying, she's completely oblivious.... but... she is very, very, VERY young and naive. There are people have serious concerns about this guy.

Maybe I'm wrong for posting this, but those of you who do pray, please do pray for Raquel. She's obnoxious, she's annoying, she's completely oblivious.... but... she is very, very, VERY young and naive. There are people have serious concerns about this guy.

...sources? I'm wary of folks on the Internet claiming to know things, especially since none of your posts have been about Raquel.

I don't need to post sources. If I don't know her I'm not saying anything that would be destructive toward her. I'm only saying concern is merited. That's not anything different than people who don't know her have said.

I'm not trying to be "in the know" or whatever. I know her. It would be nice, if anyone cares to pray, that they would pray for her. Or send thoughts, if that's your mode. Or whatever. I don't know any horrendous gossip. A lot of what people have observed from afar is the same as what people from close up are observing. Other people are concerned. Do I really need to post links for that? There is a lot about Raquel to find exasperating, but I don't think anyone here really wishes her harm. She is really young and parroting what she has been taught, and she has had attention from people that it would be flattering for any teenage girl to get attention from, she's very much a sheltered country girl.

And yeah, if I don't post about Raquel, maybe I respect my children s' friendships. Maybe it's easier to snark about people I don't know at all..

I could see that... I did only post about a version fundy minister with whom I am personally acquainted when it came up on the forums. Which isn't often. And even then I didn't tell everything I know because I must respect privacy.

If I was a praying woman I would pray for Raquel. As is... I'm not sure I believe in prayer or good thougts.

I don't need to post sources. If I don't know her I'm not saying anything that would be destructive toward her. I'm only saying concern is merited. That's not anything different than people who don't know her have said.

I'm not trying to be "in the know" or whatever. I know her. It would be nice, if anyone cares to pray, that they would pray for her. Or send thoughts, if that's your mode. Or whatever. I don't know any horrendous gossip. A lot of what people have observed from afar is the same as what people from close up are observing. Other people are concerned. Do I really need to post links for that? There is a lot about Raquel to find exasperating, but I don't think anyone here really wishes her harm. She is really young and parroting what she has been taught, and she has had attention from people that it would be flattering for any teenage girl to get attention from, she's very much a sheltered country girl.

And yeah, if I don't post about Raquel, maybe I respect my children s' friendships. Maybe it's easier to snark about people I don't know at all..

That's fine. Totally didn't mean to offend you. You absolutely should not post things you are not comfortable with.

I just looked at your posts to see if you had posted in Raquel threads before, and I saw that you said a post was your first post when it wasn't and that raised a bit of a red flag for me.* (Also, see edit below.) But you don't need to prove yourself to me! It's not my concern, and I hope you do know Raquel because she needs level-headed people in her life.

*I read THE WHOLE Razing Ruth saga just a few weeks ago, so yeah.

Edit: D'oh. I didn't open the whole post up where you "said it was your first post" until just now. You were quoting someone. Apologies on that front! Looks like I'm taking a page from Storage Sociopath's book and being a jackass who jumps to conclusions.

If you actually do know her, please, go and talk to her, her parents, her friends, anybody she would listen to. If people aren't sitting her down and saying "Raquel these are the red flags, this are why we are concerned about this guy and your behavior towards any man who pays attention to you and we are not going to show support for you while you act this way." then prayer is fairly useless. If you have gone and talked to her and her parents or anyone who can try and encourage her to make wise choices then you have done your part. But if you do actually know her and all you are doing is praying then you are really not helping Raquel in anyway.

Your posts just reminded me of when I was young, sheltered, and entirely more innocent than Raquel is and made some unwise choices. Found out later that people were praying for me, but did people come and talk to me? No. I might have not listened, but I might have and it would have saved me some heartache.

I respect not snarking on people you know in real life. I always think it is tacky to pretend to be friends with someone in real life and then go snark on them online.

Does Raquel remind anyone else of Lydia Bennet? Except Lydia was 15 and Raquel is now an adult and still acting that way.

Does Raquel remind anyone else of Lydia Bennet? Except Lydia was 15 and Raquel is now an adult and still acting that way.

Hahaha, she does! She probably thinks she's more like Lizzie, though.

Hahaha, she does! She probably thinks she's more like Lizzie, though.

Lydia is described as self-willed, careless, ignorant, idle and vain. Which is exactly a description one would give of Raquel. Pride and Prejudice also shows that Lydia ended up this way because her father couldn't be bothered to correct her behavior and would laugh at it and her mother couldn't see how the acting this way would result in disaster and encouraged it. I suspect that Raquel's parents aren't too different than Mr. and Mrs. Bennet and at this point it might be too late for them to prevent Raquel from running off with an modern version of Mr. Wickham since she is legally an adult.

You all should watch the lizzy Bennet diaries. It's a YouTube show (my av is like and Darcy having a moment if silliness.) Pretty good show. Their version of Lydia was excellent and while I'm not crazy about how the show handles her downfall arc it does actually show Wickham and Lydia ' relationship. The show did a brutal job of depicting an abusive relationship in a realistic way. www.youtube.com/user/LizzieBennet

I think Raquel would be better served by a culture that wasn't anti dating. I think if she had people surrounding her that taught her about setting you own boundaries (vs fundies who rely on daddy to protect you but if something bad happens it's your fault) she would be safer. I also think if she was in a culture that was pro dating she'd have less anxiety about finding the perfect husband to court at age 19.

She was having anxiety over not finding the perfect man to court when she was 16 and she ended up so desperate that she started sexting guys in hopes that they would marry her. That is tragic, just tragic. Her parents should have stepped in while she was young and helped her see that her self-worth does not revolve around a man and marriage. Anyone reading her blog would be able to see that she has felt for a long time that she is nothing without a man. Instead her parents have seemed to have encouraged her to think like this.

Lydia is described as self-willed, careless, ignorant, idle and vain. Which is exactly a description one would give of Raquel. Pride and Prejudice also shows that Lydia ended up this way because her father couldn't be bothered to correct her behavior and would laugh at it and her mother couldn't see how the acting this way would result in disaster and encouraged it. I suspect that Raquel's parents aren't too different than Mr. and Mrs. Bennet and at this point it might be too late for them to prevent Raquel from running off with an modern version of Mr. Wickham since she is legally an adult.

Not to mention the way Lydia launches herself at men, and, I'm pretty sure, only "loved" Wickham because he paid her attention. I always imagined that they would be very unhappy together within a year, rather like Romeo and Juliet (though I did find her behaviour in Death Comes to Pemberley, in which she still finds it all rather exciting ten years on, quite believable). Sadly, it wouldn't surprise me if Raquel found their coerced marriage romantic.

I think you're right about Raquel's parents; normal parents would have expected her to be either in further education or with a proper job, not gallivanting about on "missions" and famewhoring on Instagram.

She was having anxiety over not finding the perfect man to court when she was 16 and she ended up so desperate that she started sexting guys in hopes that they would marry her. That is tragic, just tragic. Her parents should have stepped in while she was young and helped her see that her self-worth does not revolve around a man and marriage. Anyone reading her blog would be able to see that she has felt for a long time that she is nothing without a man. Instead her parents have seemed to have encouraged her to think like this.

I was just wondering if her parents have any clue what she does online. For being fundy-lite? or whatever we'd call her, she seems quite worldly and her parents seem positively uninvolved compared to the majority of the people we follow here.

I do worry for Raquel, as she does seem like the sort of girl who would attract the wrong kind of guy. She seems like she would throw herself at a guy who pays attention to her, even if he is into her for the wrong kind of reasons, and is too naïve to understand about red flags, or that he might just want her for sex instead of for romance. She also seems like the kind of person who would think all that Twilight shit like him creeping into your window at night to watch you sleep and being obsessive over wanting to be together all of the time to be romantic, not creepy. She seems really desperate and I think maybe she doesn't have as many real friends as she seems to think she does.

Archived