IGNORED

A Fundie Comes Out Against EO's.

Want More Babies

I have posted that I read the blog written by a nouthetic counselor for women. Yesterday's post had me laughing so hard.

We know James and Stacy believe in, and promote, nouthetic counseling. Some of the moderators on her Yahoo group are nouthetic counselors. That said, look at this article. http://bc4women.blogspot.com/2014/07/iv ... l-you.html

Thursday, July 24, 2014

I've Got a Bridge to Sell You

There is a new craze among some Christians having to do with essential oils. They are touted as the cure-all or healing factor for whatever ails you. Now, to be fair I have not looked at a catalog, or read an article on what they are supposed to do. I have heard stories and testimonials from the believers.

I am very aware of the biblical passages referencing anointing with oil for various purposes and I am certain that the slick glossy pages of the catalogs have nothing in common with the biblical use of oils.

What provoked this post you ask? My friend sent me a picture out of one of those catalogs of a bottle of "essential" oil that is intended to "encourage renewed faith in the future and the emotional strength necessary to achieve your dreams."

Really?

All that from a bottle of flower oil?

I have seen this kind of thing before from "Christian" television hucksters who promise healing, prosperity, or good vibes in exchange for your money. They are happy to send you a green hanky, a bottle of "miracle water" or a special cracker as a token of their appreciation.

My friend sent a second picture. This one advertised a 5ml bottle of oil for forgiveness (for over 60.00!) that "enhances the ability to forgive yourself while letting go of negative emotions, which is an important part of personal growth."

Are you kidding me?

People really buy this?

I have no idea whose merchandise this is, nor do I want to know. Ladies, these are lies from the pit of hell. There is no oil that will increase your faith, renew your strength or enable you to "forgive yourself."

If you want to be encouraged and have "renewed faith in the future and the emotional strength necessary to achieve your dreams" I suggest you put away your wallet and get out your Bible.

First, ask the Lord to give you some wisdom and discernment so you can avoid being taken for a fool.

Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. 1 John 4:1

See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ. Colossians 2:8

The beginning of wisdom is: Acquire wisdom; And with all your acquiring, get understanding. Prize her, and she will exalt you; She will honor you if you embrace her.She will place on your head a garland of grace; She will present you with a crown of beauty. Proverbs 4

Need "renewed faith in the future?"

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal .2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Looking for strength?

I can do everything (emotional or otherwise) through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Isaiah 40:29

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

Want to fulfill your dreams?

Commit your works to the LORD And your plans will be established. Proverbs 16:3

The Oil of Forgiveness?

In all sincerity, there is no oil bought at any price that will "enhance the ability to forgive yourself while letting go of negative emotions." Please understand there is no biblical support for forgiving yourself. You can read the Bible from cover to cover and it is not there, anywhere. If there was some way for you to grant yourself forgiveness, then why did Christ die?

Yes, I know...this kind of forgiveness the oil will bring is needed for something that you have done that you deeply regret and are struggling to get past.

It won't work.

There is only one remedy for all sin, only one way to forgiveness.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool. Isaiah 1:8

as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. Psalm 103:12

This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. Matthew 6:28

When Jesus paid it all, He bought your forgiveness. There is no need to labor or toil in feeble and worthless attempts to earn God's forgiveness. If you have Christ you have all you will ever need. Accept that by faith.

This nonsense about essential oils has got to stop.

Don't let anyone lead you astray with empty philosophy and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the evil powers of this world, and not from Christ. For in Christ the fullness of God lives in a human body, and you are complete through your union with Christ. He is the Lord over every ruler and authority in the universe. Colossians 2:8-10

Ladies, put away your wallet, throw away the catalog, and get in the Word of God. Pray for wisdom and discernment and seek out wise and godly women who are not swayed by such nonsense. If you still are itching to spend that 60 bucks, you can donate it to our ministry. We can use it to further the gospel.

So I went over to Young Living, Stacy's oils that she hocks, and look what I found. :lol:

youngliving.com/en_US/products/essential-oils/blends/forgiveness-essential-oil

That's kind of funny. I didn't realize that some people were spiritual-ising EO's.

I do think there's a difference between using EO's for aromatherapy uses (valid) and spiritual uses (probably NOT valid).

I swear by my peppermint EO for relieving headaches!

Hey maybe Lori could benefit from something on there, like whole soul replacement or something.

Can't get over the price to expensive, some people are sure be taken for a ride.

Ha!

I've been waiting for some fundie to refer to EOs as witchcraft. Or irredeemably pagan / Catholic-- I've seen that claimmade against incense and anointing oil.

Although this nouthetic counselor isn't making precisely that claim, he or she is pointing out how silly and inconsistent it is for a fundie who treats mental health and spiritual health as if they're the same thing to seek mental or spiritual benefits from anything other than God.

Can someone stick dear Sister Stacy's head in a Bible long enough for her to realize that the annointing done in both the Hebrew Scriptures and the New Testament was done with Olive Oil, not super special flower power?

Twit. Snake oil saleswoman.

I think a lot of the enthusiasm for EO is not done out of any belief in Biblical Anointing and more to do with the relief of finding a pyramid type scheme they can make money on with little education, pretend they think its Biblical and is a little bit more exotic than the rest of their lives.

I have and do use some essential oils, mainly for relaxing in a bath or with a burner, just ones I personally like not necessarily the correct aromatherapy uses, but I'd never buy any that claimed to give me the power of success or forgiveness in a bottle. :roll:

Nevertheless not all problems can be solved with a handy Bible quote either. Although there may be merit to a quote which makes you think about how to handle your issue a 20 minute break with a "pleasant smell" can also regenerate you. Do some fundies combine the two together?

Disclaimer: Like TrueRebel1 said, I do love my peppermint and lavender oils for headaches. When I was pregnant last year and dealing with migraines for about 2 months straight (3-5 days of migraine, maybe a day break, then another 3-5 days of migraine), it was the only thing I used that worked. Tylenol, drinking more water, and eating more protein did jack squat to help.

Having said that.... I love this lady's post. I'm SOOO tired of all the EO reps and their baloney! "I diffuse these 3 oils at night for my son's ADHD!" "This person I read about on the internet who I'm claiming is my friend so i can appear more reputable was able to cure her son's epilepsy by rubbing this oil on the soles of his feet twice a day!" "Add 3 drops of this oil to your water and just watch the pounds melt away!" Finally someone speaks up!

I think a lot of the enthusiasm for EO is not done out of any belief in Biblical Anointing and more to do with the relief of finding a pyramid type scheme they can make money on with little education

Ding ding ding!

I have a few SAHM friends selling this crap. Now that Scentsy is on the downward slope they had to find a new trendy product to hock on facebook.

I am FASCINATED by blogs extolling EOs as the cure for anything. All these SAHMs, who probably sucked at chemistry (if they even took chemistry in high school or college), trying to explain just how a few drops under the tongue or rubbed somewhere on the body is soooooo much better than seeing a licensed health care provider and taking a prescription medicine. Though I think it could be backlash against the ebil Obamacare, especially the blogs that get all mathy and break down the cost of each drop of stuff, add it all up, and compare the cost to that of the more conventional route.

And I like to listen to this when perusing the miracleness of EOs: youtube.com/watch?v=Rdqh0GsXMII

("it's the only product you will ever need!")

I have a friend who sells these and she posted about them on FB today. Someone commented that she WISHED SHE COULD SEND SOME DOTERRA TO THE GUY WHO CAUGHT EBOLA IN AFRICA WHILE HELPING OTHER PATIENTS.

EBOLA.

And here I thought this was going to be some rantin' and ravin' about how the Eastern Orthodox are just as bad as those papists.

Years ago when my mom was a letter carrier for the US Postal Service, she'd often bring home undeliverable third class mail. It was mostly magazines (which might not have been 3rd class) and catalogues, but sometimes it was junk like Rev. Ike's prayer cloths. Once she brought home a small vial of oil that Oral Roberts had sent out. It was a white plastic "alabaster" vial filled with mineral oil. Couldn't Oral spring for some olive oil?

I am FASCINATED by blogs extolling EOs as the cure for anything. All these SAHMs, who probably sucked at chemistry (if they even took chemistry in high school or college), trying to explain just how a few drops under the tongue or rubbed somewhere on the body is soooooo much better than seeing a licensed health care provider and taking a prescription medicine.

Have you seen this one? blog.sweetbottomsbaby.com/essential-oils/ (I used to sub to her store email, looking for other products she sold. I unsubscribed after this tripe landed in my inbox.) Natural! Transdermal! Versatile! And, my favorite part:

And what makes this even more exciting is these essential oils are made out of molecules that are nature made – just like us. Our bodies can work with these molecules much easier than man-made molecules that you’ll find in air fresheners, cleaning products, decongestants etc., They are non-toxic and do not cause side effects.

Totally safe!!! :angry-banghead: Because man-made molecules of X are totally different than natural molecules. And, if someone's actively distilling these oils, doesn't that mean it's not natural? I mean, you can't go out and find a tree with hanging bottles of lavender oil.

I started reading a new book today, Mother Nature is Trying to Kill You. Along with an interesting view on "natural" childbirth, there's a good section on "natural =/= safe". I wonder if there's anything later about EOs (I'm not very far into the book yet).

The only essential oil I use is Tea Tree Oil, or rather it's in the shampoo and blemish cream I use (all other oils break me out horribly). It's has a tingly sensation to it that I like. But I if I have a serious cut, burn, illness, or injury, I go to the doctor or emergency room.

I have a friend who sells these and she posted about them on FB today. Someone commented that she WISHED SHE COULD SEND SOME DOTERRA TO THE GUY WHO CAUGHT EBOLA IN AFRICA WHILE HELPING OTHER PATIENTS.

EBOLA.

Ebola??????? That is not something to fuck around with.

All giving someone essential oils instead of medicine when they have ebola will do is make them smell nice as they die.

Have you seen this one? blog.sweetbottomsbaby.com/essential-oils/ (I used to sub to her store email, looking for other products she sold. I unsubscribed after this tripe landed in my inbox.) Natural! Transdermal! Versatile! And, my favorite part:

And what makes this even more exciting is these essential oils are made out of molecules that are nature made – just like us. Our bodies can work with these molecules much easier than man-made molecules that you’ll find in air fresheners, cleaning products, decongestants etc., They are non-toxic and do not cause side effects.

Totally safe!!! :angry-banghead: Because man-made molecules of X are totally different than natural molecules. And, if someone's actively distilling these oils, doesn't that mean it's not natural? I mean, you can't go out and find a tree with hanging bottles of lavender oil.

I started reading a new book today, Mother Nature is Trying to Kill You. Along with an interesting view on "natural" childbirth, there's a good section on "natural =/= safe". I wonder if there's anything later about EOs (I'm not very far into the book yet).

You know what's natural? Poison Ivy, but I don't see people rubbing that all over themselves. :roll:

EO's are a bunch of malarky and a waste of money. I'll stick with doctors and actual medicine thank you very much.

The Ebola comment was about the most idiotic thing I've ever seen on the internet.

Like many others, I've been using EOs for years, and it kind of drives me crazy that this is the new thing. I feel like I have to defend myself by saying "No, we not all idiots who think EOs cure cancer!" But a little lavender is fabulous for my headaches and TTO did wonders when added to my daughters' diaper rash meds because they were prone to Yeast rashes. Calendula Oil (in an sweet almond carrier oil I think - she's almost 15 now!) was what I used on my toddler's face forever for her eczema. She had it all up around her eyelids and I could use it without worrying about it hurting her. Something I didn't do, of course, until I checked with her doctor.......

Edited to add - and yes, anyone who is paying those prices for EOs is an idiot.

I believe oils have their purpose. However.... Ebola?! And Even my friend who was very pro oils didn't think it would cure our friend with cancer.

I can't... EBOLA?!

I have a stash of EOs, purchased not from some MLM huckster for ridiculous prices for tiny amounts, but rather purchased from a legitimate business in much larger quantities, and used for soapmaking (a hobby of mine).

The only "claim" I make about mine is that the resulting soap has a pleasant odor.

I continue to be astonished at the MLM crap.

I also have a collection of EO's purchased from a legit company (complete with proper organic certification) that I use in my home-made body butters. The only reason I use them is because I am super sensitive to artificial fragrances and using EO's in the proper dilution (read, not straight but in 1 or 2% dilution) doesn't bother me, and I love the smell. I also love diffusing them as an alternative to scented candles. But I only use them at home and make no claims as to their healing powers.

The fact that the MLM hucksters make such outrageous, unverifiable claims about EO's amazes me. And I am totally horrified that anyone would suggest using an essential oil straight on the skin - and am appalled that people actually drink them! :shock:

I make my own household cleaners like kitchen spray and carpet freshner. Bottle of lavender, bottle of tea tree oil, and bottle of tangerine from a natural supermarket, have lasted me years, make the area rug smell nice. Mask the vinegar smell in the kitchen cleaner. Did not do squat as I mopped while sick for a month with a nasty cold last winter.

I distill a couple EOs from plants in the garden and I also make ground up flower sachets. These only go as far as my family and a couple of neighbors. One of the neighbors helps me in return for getting the plant parts to use herself. We use them for smell and a little headache and tension relief only.

I can't fathom thinking they would do anything more than that or putting them on a serious burn or to treat an illness.

I started reading a new book today, Mother Nature is Trying to Kill You.

Thanks, that sounds very interesting. I requested it through our state library system.

I have a stash of EOs, purchased not from some MLM huckster for ridiculous prices for tiny amounts, but rather purchased from a legitimate business in much larger quantities, and used for soapmaking (a hobby of mine).

The only "claim" I make about mine is that the resulting soap has a pleasant odor.

I continue to be astonished at the MLM crap.

Yeah, I have a stash of EOs for sniffing. It is not a replacement for western medicine.

I have some lavender oil I'd bought to make some hair refresher spray suggested by Lorraine Massay, author of Curly Girl I've not made any yet as 1) I'd need to get a new spray bottle to put it in and 2) I found the directions a bit ridiculous. It makes 2 quarts which I don't need and you were supposed to boil the water for 2 HOURS to reduce the contaminates! That would reduce any bacterial contamination, but then there really should not be any and I don't see how it would possibly reduce heavy metals. Wouldn't it tend to concentrate them instead? I bought some Carol's Daughters Freshening Spray to use instead.

See, I would just get a small spray bottle, fill it up, and then mix 2-3 drops, 4 at most ( I have almost nonsense of smell, so I like things to smell strongly).

Boiling for hours.... Yeah, that is a bit ridiculous. I don't know about metals, but I've read that fluoride gets more concentrated in boiled water, so if you're trying to get the fluoride out boiling will do the opposite.

Archived