IGNORED

Evangelicals chilly about Atheists, the feeling is mutual

Vivi_music

Evangelism is not knocking on doors and bringing people to Jesus, telling non-believers they are going to hell, and forcing religion into politics. It's about doing good works, being non-judgemental, tolerant, and showing a genuine interest in helping people around you. You have to trust and earn the trust of people before delivering Christ's message. You also have to learn to understand that not everybody will be open to receive Christ, and you shouldn't shun them, but befriend them, back off on the religion and respect their choice.

This. :clap:

For many people who don't follow religion, evangelical=pushy fundie or pushy fundie wannabe. People who think separation of church and state is a bad thing.

But that's perception. Evangelical churches and members aren't all like that. It's just what comes to mind. I would guess that's what the survey reflects.

And it disgusts me that this form of evangelical Christianity has become the norm.

I don't know that it has become the norm. I think the most outspoken ones tend to be the biggest assholes that are furthest up the ass of the republican party. You see them on tv bitching about gay marriage or obamacare. You see them outside abortion clinics harassing women. You don't hear about the nice, normal ones that are probably the majority, living ordinary lives, following Christ by being decent human beings.

And it disgusts me that this form of evangelical Christianity has become the norm.

I don't know that it has become the norm. I think the most outspoken ones tend to be the biggest assholes that are furthest up the ass of the republican party. You see them on tv bitching about gay marriage or obamacare. You see them outside abortion clinics harassing women. You don't hear about the nice, normal ones that are probably the majority, living ordinary lives, following Christ by being decent human beings.

Unfortunately it seems like the norm, since the assholes are the ones out there shouting their judgmental opinions and drawing attention to their stunts :angry-banghead: while hopefully most are just doing good quietly.

Unfortunately they seem to be the loudest most attention hungry.

Unfortunately they seem to be the loudest most attention hungry.

Because true evangelicals are out there, you know, helping people in need, and the last thing needed is unwanted pressure, crowds, and cameras when people are suffering.

Jumping in on the "what is an Evangelical" question.

As someone said upthread, it is generally a self-applied label which means it is hard to define. I won't try to define it, but I will say that evangelicals tend to be conservative. You usually see Baptists, Pentecostals, and the like identifying and evangelical. HOWEVER. That absolutely does not mean that all who identify as evangelical are conservative. There's been a movement lately for Christians raised evangelical to transition to a much more progressive and liberal view as they grow up, and many still consider themselves evangelicals and are working to transform the movement from the inside. They are generally told they are going to hell by conservative evangelicals, but there you have it.

Rachel Held Evans identified for a LONG time as evangelical (though I'm not sure if she still does), and some of her posts deal with the above phenomenon: rachelheldevans.com/blog/future-of-evangelicalism

Bolded! Yes, can we talk about that aspect. For some reason, it made me think of the Duggars. We have seen of couple of the kids with israeli flag on their luggage or with a star of David here and there and it does make me a bit uncomfortable. I know they went on a trip to Israel so it's probably only souvenirs from there but I wonder if they understand the significance of these symbols for Jewish people. I knew a girl in college who wore a star of David necklace, but you know.... she was Jewish!

Isn't there also a link between the rapture and the Jews of the world gathering all together in the holy land? I heard once that a lot of fundamentalist Christians and even non-fundie churches supported Israel because it was a sign of the second coming of Christ. I'm really no expert of ''the end of the world theology''. Can other FJers enlighten me please?

I did a quick Google search because I was also curious about the subject and found that based on a bunch of Old Testament prophecies and things Jesus said in the New Testament, some Christians interpret the attacks on Israel as a sign of the end times. The final reunification of Israel is also predicted in the Old Testament as a sign of God's return to the world, interpreted by some as being akin to the Second Coming of Christ. Hope that helps! :)

Jumping in on the "what is an Evangelical" question.

As someone said upthread, it is generally a self-applied label which means it is hard to define. I won't try to define it, but I will say that evangelicals tend to be conservative. You usually see Baptists, Pentecostals, and the like identifying and evangelical. HOWEVER. That absolutely does not mean that all who identify as evangelical are conservative. There's been a movement lately for Christians raised evangelical to transition to a much more progressive and liberal view as they grow up, and many still consider themselves evangelicals and are working to transform the movement from the inside. They are generally told they are going to hell by conservative evangelicals, but there you have it.

Rachel Held Evans identified for a LONG time as evangelical (though I'm not sure if she still does), and some of her posts deal with the above phenomenon: rachelheldevans.com/blog/future-of-evangelicalism

My church is liberal and evangelical. So, it is possible to be both. See my posts up thread. The one thing we NEVER do is stop helping those who don't believe or tell them they are going to hell. That's cruel, inhuman (Christian or not), and it goes against the teachings of Christ.

For many people who don't follow religion, evangelical=pushy fundie or pushy fundie wannabe. People who think separation of church and state is a bad thing.

But that's perception. Evangelical churches and members aren't all like that. It's just what comes to mind. I would guess that's what the survey reflects.

That is the perception that I had. I assumed that evangelicals are people who are trying to convert you nonstop. I thought that was the basic definition. Learn something new everyday!

The only thing that is going to change the perception of evangelical = pushy fundie is action not words. Liberal evangelicals need to be leading the fight for separation of church and state, freedom of religion, social justice, and equality for all. That will open more hearts and minds and change the perception of not only evangelism but Christianity itself (even if they don't believe).

Archived