IGNORED

whites were the “worst victims� of slavery

doggie

Jesus to think this is getting taught in any schools.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/07/16 ... ck-slaves/

An Arizona charter school is currently under fire for teaching students that slavery benefited black people and that whites were jealous of the “freedom†slaves had. But Glenn Beck is defending the racist book that Heritage Academy requires their 12th grade students to read.

On Tuesday during his radio program, Beck became defensive of the criticism leveled at the school by Americans United for Separation of Church and State. Beck especially jumped at the opportunity to defend his hero Cleon Skousen’s book “The 5000 Year Leap,†which paints a whitewashed version of slavery and the American Civil War.

The book claims that abolitionists lied about the mistreatment of slaves by slave masters and that whites were the “worst victims†of slavery. It also says white people envied black people for having so much freedom while being in chains. One essay included in the book states,

“If [black children] ran naked it was generally from choice, and when the white boys had to put on shoes and go away to school they were likely to envy the freedom of their colored playmates.â€

Beck not only doesn’t find anything wrong with this racist revisionist history, he wants parents to read the book to their children over and over again so they can “actually learn American history.â€

“That book is absolutely right. That book, The 5000 Year Leap, changed my understanding of the United States government and our founders. It is the clearest, simplest, most direct way to teach what happened and why we were founded the way we were… Teach it to your children. Read it to them at night. Bring it to the dinner table. It will be the only chance they have to actually learn American history.â€

[bBvideo 560,340:9c0w8zvx]

[/bBvideo]

Because in the scale of misery and victim good, having to put on uncomfortable clothes and sit still doing boring schoolwork> having no rights, being someone else's possession, to be treated as your owner sees fit.

I can see how a five year old might think so. I expect anyone older than that to be able to work it out themselves.

That says a fair bit about the level of intellect required to take any of what Glenn Beck says seriously.

Because in the scale of misery and victim good, having to put on uncomfortable clothes and sit still doing boring schoolwork> having no rights, being someone else's possession, to be treated as your owner sees fit.

I can see how a five year old might think so. I expect anyone older than that to be able to work it out themselves.

That says a fair bit about the level of intellect required to take any of what Glenn Beck says seriously.

Yes, I think it's probably true that at some point, some white kid envied his/her slave children for their perceived freedom. But perceived injustice is not the same thing as actual injustice; see, for instance, all the "persecuted Christians" in the US :roll:

I really wish they assholes would read just one volume of the slave narratives.

Then I'd like to see them try to justify this bullshit.

If the slaveholders were the ones suffering during slavery, they had a simple recourse. Don't have slaves and don't buy slaves and free any you have.

Since that didn't seem to be what was happening, I call BullShit to the whole idea.

If the slaveholders were the ones suffering during slavery, they had a simple recourse. Don't have slaves and don't buy slaves and free any you have.

Since that didn't seem to be what was happening, I call BullShit to the whole idea.

Back in the days of Apartheid, a South African friend of a friend told me in all seriousness that white men, like him, had it the worst. According to him, "those people can't take care of themselves, so we have to do it". Poor him was sacrificing himself for the greater good, and suffered the mostest!

I have a suspicion that slavery-apologists would come up with the same stupid excuse, for why freeing slaves was just impossible.

Back in the days of Apartheid, a South African friend of a friend told me in all seriousness that white men, like him, had it the worst. According to him, "those people can't take care of themselves, so we have to do it". Poor him was sacrificing himself for the greater good, and suffered the mostest!

I have a suspicion that slavery-apologists would come up with the same stupid excuse, for why freeing slaves was just impossible.

I'm sure. I've actually heard discussions where the person said "We pay for all their (Blacks) food, lodging and living now, at least when they were slaves we got work out of them." How much of this was trying to start a fight and how much was bluster and how much was what he thought, I'm not sure-- but I suspect the argument is already out there, ignoring the truth that "we" don't pay for all of anyone's anything and dismissing the 90+ percent of people of all races who are not on welfare. :angry-banghead:

When my 13 year old brother in law was visiting he started spouting off the fundy "but most slave owners treated their slaves really well and loved them like family." I honestly didn't know how to respond. I know that he was just programmed to say crap like that.

If Glen Beck et al think slavery is a good thing well they should immediately agree to become slaves. We'll see how much they like it when the slave collar is on their neck.

Poor slave owners forced to house slaves that never cared for them or showed they cared. Sat around all day making babies and eating watermelon all on their owners dime.

I'd like add something. If white people suffered at all it was most definitely the Plantation mistresses; Remember they had very few or really no right's themselves. While the cream of southern manhood was posturing or on the battle field these women alone, often on distant plantations, were responsible for dozens of people ...feeding, clothing and caring for the sick as well as keeping the plantation industries producing.

In her mind a slave mistress must have often thought, and we have writing to that effect, that she was a another type of slave....ministering to those people, especially your husbands bastards with the slave women, who might rebel any time and having a husband who could basically beat you senseless and take your children if he felt like it. All the while constantly being pregnant or Ill yourself.

Many a women hated slavery either morally or did not want to deal with all that but had no choice in the matter.

If Glen Beck et al think slavery is a good thing well they should immediately agree to become slaves. We'll see how much they like it when the slave collar is on their neck.

That was the first thing that popped into my head. If Glen Beck had to do any menial work, or live in squalid conditions, or eat food he didn't like, all for no pay, he would be screaming bloody murder.

I can't figure out if he believes any of the shit he spouts or if it is all just a way to rake the money in. He and Limbaugh both are multimillionaires and I'm pretty sure they are just con artists who don't mind being reviled by the Left and the Moderates as long as that river of cash keeps flowing.

When my 13 year old brother in law was visiting he started spouting off the fundy "but most slave owners treated their slaves really well and loved them like family." I honestly didn't know how to respond. I know that he was just programmed to say crap like that.

That idea, sadly, is not just a fundy one. I've heard it from some of my own (not fundy by any means) relatives.

I happened to catch the last half hour of PBS's "Scientific American" late last night, where the subject was slave site archaeology. A good chunk of the show was devoted to the Monticello plantation. Jefferson is still regarded as a (comparatively) "benign" slave owner, and one of the quotes they mentioned was him saying nearly exactly this. Something along the lines of, "They're just like children, and would never be able to take care of themselves, so it would be a cruelty to free them."

I happened to catch the last half hour of PBS's "Scientific American" late last night, where the subject was slave site archaeology. A good chunk of the show was devoted to the Monticello plantation. Jefferson is still regarded as a (comparatively) "benign" slave owner, and one of the quotes they mentioned was him saying nearly exactly this. Something along the lines of, "They're just like children, and would never be able to take care of themselves, so it would be a cruelty to free them."

Funny that cabinet boy compared women to children and needing to be protected in his most recent post.

Funny that cabinet boy compared women to children and needing to be protected in his most recent post.

Anyone who is disallowed from education, rights to vote, sign contracts, control their own coming and going, own property--who is treated like a child or a piece of property by an individual or by law--will appear childlike in the eyes of their owner(s).

Plus, any excuse will do.

That just made my skin crawl, and NOT because of you! :?

That kind of thing does make me wonder what deeply held beliefs people will find skin crawling about our society in about 150 years time. And not just the supposedly obvious ones like treatment of gay people and other minorities, but other much more liberal "benign" beliefs.

I'd like add something. If white people suffered at all it was most definitely the Plantation mistresses; Remember they had very few or really no right's themselves. While the cream of southern manhood was posturing or on the battle field these women alone, often on distant plantations, were responsible for dozens of people ...feeding, clothing and caring for the sick as well as keeping the plantation industries producing.

In her mind a slave mistress must have often thought, and we have writing to that effect, that she was a another type of slave....ministering to those people, especially your husbands bastards with the slave women, who might rebel any time and having a husband who could basically beat you senseless and take your children if he felt like it. All the while constantly being pregnant or Ill yourself.

Many a women hated slavery either morally or did not want to deal with all that but had no choice in the matter.

The ladies managed to get it on with their male slaves just as the men did with their female slaves--the evidence was just more difficult to dispose. Most plantation mistresses were comfortable with employing the use of violence (and the threats of violence, or selling them downriver, or getting the master involved) to keep their slaves in line, after all, they were in charge when the menfolk went away.

I know, isn't it gross?

I'm preparing to divorce after 20 years. My husband has always been incredibly controlling, but he couched it so well in benevolent terminology that I was like the proverbial frog in the pot: by the time I fully came out of the fog, I'd lost 18 years of the ability to provide for myself ... and the three kids I have now. In fact, I had no idea I was being abused until a few months ago, when I started reading, counseling, and researching in earnest. I still struggle not to tell myself it's just me.

The point? Controlling men (or women, but it's usually men in our society) will employ whatever excuses necessary to justify their abuse. My husband considers himself a loving, caring, compassionate guy who has sadly made a few mistakes, but since nobody's perfect, and he's better than most (in his mind), what's the big deal? I expect it's similar to the Jeffersonian mindset.

I thought this was going to be something about indentured servitude. That's the only context in which this idea makes any sense. I have often heard that these white servants did have it worse than their black counterparts--simply because the master paying for that person's passage to America was dammed well going to get his money's worth While the servant repaid him in slave labor.

(snip for brevity)

I know, isn't it gross?

I'm preparing to divorce after 20 years. My husband has always been incredibly controlling, but he couched it so well in benevolent terminology that I was like the proverbial frog in the pot: by the time I fully came out of the fog, I'd lost 18 years of the ability to provide for myself ... and the three kids I have now. In fact, I had no idea I was being abused until a few months ago, when I started reading, counseling, and researching in earnest. I still struggle not to tell myself it's just me.

The point? Controlling men (or women, but it's usually men in our society) will employ whatever excuses necessary to justify their abuse. My husband considers himself a loving, caring, compassionate guy who has sadly made a few mistakes, but since nobody's perfect, and he's better than most (in his mind), what's the big deal? I expect it's similar to the Jeffersonian mindset.

I'm sorry you're going through that, and I'm wishing all the best to you and your children. Here's a hug (if wanted).

Archived