IGNORED

Virtuous Daughters

GeoBQn

Irrigate?

My best friend's oldest (teen) daughter has taken to wearing a monstrous brown, ankle-length skirt at all times, and I think even covering her head now and then. She does a sport with a family of skirts-only fundies, and appears to be drifting that way. She's a kind, gentle girl and I hate to see her going down this road.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She's completely cray cray. What guy tries looking up some girl's sleeves anyways and I'm sorry if an elbow or an armpit turns him on he's either a hopelessly repressed fundie, or he has one damn weird fetish. Also, who obsesses over being immodest if the wind catches the bottom of your long skirt, and shows heaven forbid some ankle?

You'd think if she was upset about her skirts blowing up, that she would be experimenting with sewing a few stainless steel washers, heavy flat buttons, etc... inside or on the back of her skirt hems. She could do some posts about what she found works best with fabric X or style Y skirts for her recurring series on feminine modest clothing.

Words aren't really her thing, are they. I was particuarly arrested by:

Also, remember, they now cultivate and arrogate their fields, so they can now grow things for much longer periods than they once could."

I'm 100% sure she didn't actually mean 'arrogate', since it means to unjustly take something, so what did she mean?

I was also taken by her modesty challenge part 3, where she wanted girls to look up the meaning of such basic words as 'bold', 'excessive' and 'decent'. Sorry, but I have a vocabulary and don't need to look those words up in a dictionary to give a definition and neither should you. Poor girl.

I haven't seen this Lila Rose thing before. I took a quick look at the site and it doesn't appear particularly fundie but I didn't delve very deep.

Irrigate their fields

I see lots and lots and lots (good lord, seriously. LOTS.) to snark about, including having Sukkot in July. I mean, if you're going to have a harvest festival then, can't they just call it Lammas like everyone else? ;)

From the questionnaire comments

Your welcome, Ashleigh! I know it has truly been a huge blessing in our family and the children who have used it, have really been blessed by it! But even those who haven’t been married (myself included) who fill it out each year for my own personal use, have been blessed by it!

Something that my father has done in the past, is he ask each of us (males and females a like) to fill it out ahead of time…even before there is questions about another being interested. Then when he does get a questionnaire in, my precious mama and him can pray over it and make sure there isn’t major differences or issues, can ask more questions if need be, before he brings it to our attention. He does ask us before hand to make sure ours is up to date. But then if we still feel this is what Yahweh is leading us to do, he sends ours to the mans family to go over and pray over. When the parents all feel peace about it, the couple then swaps theirs (he gets hers, she gets his). They pray about it, and if they agree this is Yahweh’s will, it moves forward into a courtship, where the million questions (as we often describe it) is asked. This is when the couple really seeks Yahweh’s will for their lives concerning the other one, and gets to know each other. If they still want to move forward, it moves onto the betrothal period. This is when vows are exchanged and where permission is granted for them to learn to love each other, while preparing for their wedding feast. But it really gives the couple a good starting point on where the other stands on things, ideas to talk about, and basically a starting point to bounce off of. But it also protects hearts, too, as you pretty much know at this point whether or not a relationship will work or not. It’s not a guarantee, but so far in our own family, if the questionnaires are exchanged and a relationship starts, then it ends up being a blessed relationship, with marriage being the end results or should I say the “beginning†of a lifetime together. :)

Blessings!

Samantha

"My precious mamma?" Who talks like that! I think I used that phrase when my mom had scary medical shut happening, and I might have also been really drunk

"My precious mama and him", no less.

My head hurts from trying to get through the terrible writing, let alone the craziness.

So, it's a blessing because it allows her agentfather to keep her latest resumeresults on file so he has a handy copy in case a potential employer spouse comes knocking?

It’s not a guarantee, but so far in our own family, if the questionnaires are exchanged and a relationship starts, then it ends up being a blessed relationship, with marriage being the end results or should I say the “beginning†of a lifetime together.

Umm, has her father successfully married off any of her siblings yet?

And how are they judging a 'blessed' relationship? (and why the hell is 'beginning' in quotation marks?)

From the questionnaire comments

Your welcome, Ashleigh! I know it has truly been a huge blessing in our family and the children who have used it, have really been blessed by it! But even those who haven’t been married (myself included) who fill it out each year for my own personal use, have been blessed by it!

Something that my father has done in the past, is he ask each of us (males and females a like) to fill it out ahead of time…even before there is questions about another being interested. Then when he does get a questionnaire in, my precious mama and him can pray over it and make sure there isn’t major differences or issues, can ask more questions if need be, before he brings it to our attention. He does ask us before hand to make sure ours is up to date. But then if we still feel this is what Yahweh is leading us to do, he sends ours to the mans family to go over and pray over. When the parents all feel peace about it, the couple then swaps theirs (he gets hers, she gets his). They pray about it, and if they agree this is Yahweh’s will, it moves forward into a courtship, where the million questions (as we often describe it) is asked. This is when the couple really seeks Yahweh’s will for their lives concerning the other one, and gets to know each other. If they still want to move forward, it moves onto the betrothal period. This is when vows are exchanged and where permission is granted for them to learn to love each other, while preparing for their wedding feast. But it really gives the couple a good starting point on where the other stands on things, ideas to talk about, and basically a starting point to bounce off of. But it also protects hearts, too, as you pretty much know at this point whether or not a relationship will work or not. It’s not a guarantee, but so far in our own family, if the questionnaires are exchanged and a relationship starts, then it ends up being a blessed relationship, with marriage being the end results or should I say the “beginning†of a lifetime together. :)

Blessings!

Samantha

The couple exchanges vows during the betrothal period? I've read about engaged couples and their families praying together, but I've never heard of the couple exchanging vows before their wedding day. :think:

The couple exchanges vows during the betrothal period? I've read about engaged couples and their families praying together, but I've never heard of the couple exchanging vows before their wedding day. :think:

The Fake Jew crowd is into "betrothal." It's basically like courtship, except that the couple has even less time to get to know each other, and instead of getting engaged, they get legally married. Then they are separated for an arbitrary period of time before they have a religious wedding ceremony.

The Fake Jew crowd is into "betrothal." It's basically like courtship, except that the couple has even less time to get to know each other, and instead of getting engaged, they get legally married. Then they are separated for an arbitrary period of time before they have a religious wedding ceremony.

Thanks for the explanation! :)

FWIW, the Real Jew crowd used to do this, but combined the betrothal and wedding into one ceremony at least 1,000 years ago. There are practical concerns when you have a couple that are bound to each other under religious law, but who aren't actually living together - what if they get into a fight, someone gets sick, someone goes missing, etc.?

Archived