IGNORED

First Generation of Quiverfull families VS. Second Generatio

TrueRebel1

Come to think of it, what are the differences between the puritans and quiver full? Serious question. Any theology buffs?

Well from a publicity standpoint, there's the Salem Witch Trials for the Puritans. Wonder what the modern Quiverfull movement equivalent would be? Shunning of some sort?

And historically people who had scads of children didn't actually see the majority of them survive to adulthood, but in current times (even with the anti-vaxxers out there which may change things a bit), it's uncommon for children not to make it to adulthood, so it's easier to stock and perpetuate a quiver.

Well from a publicity standpoint, there's the Salem Witch Trials for the Puritans. Wonder what the modern Quiverfull movement equivalent would be? Shunning of some sort?

And historically people who had scads of children didn't actually see the majority of them survive to adulthood, but in current times (even with the anti-vaxxers out there which may change things a bit), it's uncommon for children not to make it to adulthood, so it's easier to stock and perpetuate a quiver.

Somewhat off-topic, but I wonder if there are regional or cultural variances in historical maternal, infant and childhood survival rates? I ask because I hear how common all of those types of deaths were in the past -- but I've gone over my family tree going back to about 1750 and many other local families as well as part of a shared local history thing -- and many of them had children in the double digits - a few even hit the 20+ mark, and there are very, very, very few infant/child/ maternal deaths in any of the family trees. And many of the people lived well into their nineties.

I wonder if maybe the people who initiated the Quiverfull movement maybe came from these sorts of families, and so didn't think it was risky to have continual pregnancies?

Somewhat off-topic, but I wonder if there are regional or cultural variances in historical maternal, infant and childhood survival rates? I ask because I hear how common all of those types of deaths were in the past -- but I've gone over my family tree going back to about 1750 and many other local families as well as part of a shared local history thing -- and many of them had children in the double digits - a few even hit the 20+ mark, and there are very, very, very few infant/child/ maternal deaths in any of the family trees. And many of the people lived well into their nineties.

I wonder if maybe the people who initiated the Quiverfull movement maybe came from these sorts of families, and so didn't think it was risky to have continual pregnancies?

Stillborn children and babies who died in infancy, especially before baptism, often aren't recorded in the parish registers that are the primary source for many family history projects.

Of course maternal, infant and childhood survival rates varied!

Factors like war, persecution and starvation obviously lead to high mortality, which is part of what shows up in my family's genealogical records. Once in Canada, it appears that the rates of childhood illness were quite high in my family 100 years ago, and we know that they were living in crowded urban slums before modern refrigeration or antibiotics. TB was also rampant. Things had improved dramatically by the post-war era.

Mortality rates were lower in areas less affected by war, disease and poverty. In my FIL's family, families seemed to be unusually large and long-lived. For example, FIL's mother lived to 103 and had 11 children. We know that the family was quite prosperous, so malnutrition wasn't an issue, babies were breastfed for 2 years and their diet was quite fresh. It seems like the rates of cancer and heart disease are much higher in the younger members of the family.

Archived