IGNORED

Kristina of Keepsakes pregnant and due #4 in March

longskirtlotsakids

I've never read "To train up a child" but I don't care for it just going by what I know about the book. Their form of discipline is, IMO, abusive.

Do I "hit" my children...I still hold to my answer, no. There is a difference between hitting and spanking...anyone will give that answer when asked.

No, anyone who plays the weird word games that make them feel better about causing pain to their children will give that answer when asked.

Why the word "hit" is so offensive to spankers, when actually causing pain to their children isn't, I will never understand. Is there some other thing you are picturing when you hear the word "hit," like someone belting a person in the chops hard enough to deck them?

Check the dictionary.

If I slap at a mosquito on my arm, I am hitting my arm. If I accidentally bump into a chair, my leg is hitting it. If I lightly toss a ball at the wall, it will hit the wall. If you are making quick physical contact with something, you are hitting it.

If that something is another human being, and you expect the contact to be aversive enough to make them stop doing something, you are causing pain with that hitting (otherwise, you would not expect it to work).

In any case, the spanking, popping, whatever you want to call it, is pain, is not necessary to raise children, and I beg you to consider dropping it from your parenting toolbox altogether.

I agree that the Pearls' form of discipline is abusive -- I have read the book, and know it well. I'm not sure you'd disagree as strongly if you had read it -- you may be doing a great deal of what they recommend.

• Replies 653
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have heard many opinions on why people are gay. I've heard anything from demon possession to its the way society has changed and how people have viewed things.

Personally, I believe that its Satan attacking the family. If Satan can get a hold of the children and turn them away from what God teaches, then he can break down families.

I can see that you really don't understand that being gay is how people simply are. Just like straight people. It's not a "lifestyle" nor is it a choice. Nor is an attack by Satan or by anyone from the outside.

So the gay couple that stays together for life, adopts children and raise them in a stable loving home. Volunteers with the poor and needy. Brings meals to the elderly. Attends church every time the doors are open. Have a daily Bible study together. This couple is destroying the concept of family and are going to hell because they can't be Christian? :angry-banghead:

Is your brother for sure not saved Kristina? Because it seems weird that you would say the gay couple in the paragraph above are hell-bound, but not say the same for your brother who abandoned his wife and children, shacked up with another women, left her, tried to hook up with her sister, is looking for women on PoF, and got fired from his job for whatever he did that probably wasn't very godly.

The arrogance of claiming to know who is saved and who isn't is pretty astounding. That is at least something I wasn't raised with. We were told only God knew the heart and we were only looking on the outside so we couldn't say the state of a person's salvation.

I'm interested to know if me being bi means that Satan was planning on attacking me but chickened out and only got halfway :lol:

Ok, that genuinely made me laugh out loud! :lol:

Ok, that genuinely made me laugh out loud! :lol:

I snorted my tea!

OT: Sobeknofret, I like your avatar.

No, anyone who plays the weird word games that make them feel better about causing pain to their children will give that answer when asked.

I will tell you that when I was spanked as a child, I was certainly not feeling the difference between "spanking" and "hitting". I was still being hit and I was feeling pain from it. Calling it by different words doesn't change the action and the effect.

At least you consider it different from "beating". But given your explanation of how you "pop" your children when they are babies then progress to what you call "spanking" when they are toddlers, it does make me wonder what you will progress to when they are older and just a few "pops" to the butt won't work anymore. And what you will call it then.

I snorted my tea!

OT: Sobeknofret, I like your avatar.

:lol: We're big Dr. Who fans in our house. I love 9 and 10, but just couldn't get into 11. Haven't seen 12 yet, but he looks awesome.

Whenever I hear exactly what Kristina's version of God is I realize how much I hate him/her and super glad I am an unbeliever. If it turns out I got it all wrong I will burn with the knowledge that I refused to worship and asshole God.

Whenever I hear exactly what Kristina's version of God is I realize how much I hate him/her and super glad I am an unbeliever. If it turns out I got it all wrong I will burn with the knowledge that I refused to worship and asshole God.

The way it's looking to me, hell is probably full of nicer people than heaven. I think i will prefer to go there.

Hell does seem like the better option. We may be in the fiery furnace for eternity, but at least we won't be the sort of people who worships and praises a God like that. Satan really doesn't seem that bad compared to Kristina's God.

There is no exact version of the fundies' god. Their god changes whenever it needs to in order to suit a fundy need. That is one solid thing I learned growing up as a fundy.

There is no exact version of the fundies' god. Their god changes whenever it needs to in order to suit a fundy need. That is one solid thing I learned growing up as a fundy.

But Satan is still the Big Bad GuyTM, no matter what, amirite? :lol:

Kristina, why is being gay a sin? As an atheist, I do not buy into it being a sin because God said so-I don't have to follow another religion's rules. Like how it is against their religion for Muslims to eat bacon, I am not a Muslim, so I eat bacon. Mormons are against drinking alcohol, but I am not a Mormon, so I tried alcohol (but this one I can live without, it tastes awful). Fundies are against gay marriage, but I am not a fundie, therefore I can sleep with women.......the only difference is that the Muslims are not trying to ban bacon. And if they did, that would be a violation of the separation of church and state, and would not be allowed because religious rules are not allowed to dictate the law.

I know why other sins are wrong.

If you kill someone, you ended a life that can never ever be gotten back, made their family and friends have to grieve for them, and there is no way that you can make that better.

If you steal, you have deprived someone of something that they rightfully own-if you steal from a person, you have taken something from someone that they worked hard to earn-and it will affect them, they will be upset at losing something that was theirs that they liked. If you steal from a store, you have cost the store money that should go to the people who run it, to pay their employees, keep the building running and buy more stock. And you got something you did not earn, which is just lazy-if you want something, you need to save the money and earn it.

If you lie to people, you will hurt people's feelings. Lies can also snowball into bigger things and cause more trouble. They will also no longer trust you, and if you have a reputation for being a liar, nobody else will trust you either.

If you cheat on your partner, you are betraying the trust of someone who loves you a lot. When you get married, you promise that you wont cheat on them, and then you have broken that promise if you sleep with someone else. Even if you aren't married, unless stated otherwise, it is just the two of you involved and you aren't supposed to sleep with other people (even open relationships and polygamy have expectations like this, even if they are different than monogamous relationships). You could also pass on diseases, which could infect yourself, and then your partner.

Rape-wrong because you are using someone else's body without their consent, sex is a very intimate thing and something that all partners should consent to, and rape is a very traumatic experience.

It is wrong to have sex with a child, as a child does not have the ability to consent as they are too young to understand the consequences of sex. Also because they are so small, it can cause damage that it wouldn't if it was between two adults. Also being molested as a child causes loads of psychological problems.

It is wrong to have sex with an animal, as an animal can not consent to sex with a human as they are not intelligent enough-but they do feel things.

But being gay? Who is harmed by that? As long as both parties are consenting adults, where is the harm in that? Who cares what two people do with their genitals behind closed doors. It is not wrong because some religions prohibit it, any more than eating bacon, shellfish, beef, alcohol, caffeine (all of these are prohibited in some religions) is wrong-if you don't belong to a religion, it doesn't matter if you don't follow religious laws.

It is not wrong because some people find it disgusting when they see two men holding hands, or two women kissing, or think about two people of the same sex having sex-I find it disgusting looking at that picture of Michelle and Jimbob Duggar kissing, or seeing the two of them being incredibly sexual with eachother. Should we make a petition to TLC saying that we do not want to see their disgusting sexuality on TV? I find the idea that my grandparents had sex to be disgusting, should people be banned from having sex once they turn 60?

It is not wrong because their sex cannot produce children. Should we ban infertile people from having sex, or getting married because they cant have kids? Is it wrong for two elderly people to have sex because they are no longer fertile? Should people be banned from getting married if they say they are never ever having a child and are going to make sure to use birth control? What about a couple who are having fertility problems-should they get married? If its cause of the possibility that against all odds they might conceive a child-what about someone who has a 0% chance of ever conceiving a child-like that the woman had a hysterectomy and no longer has a uterus to carry a baby in, and the man got his penis bitten off by a shark?

Its not wrong because they might adopt kids and give them the gay. Its good that we allow gay people to adopt-there are so many children in foster care who need parents. Even if you believe that children need a dad and a mom to be happy-having two dads or two moms is better than having no parents at all. Also what about kids who don't have a mom or dad because one of their parents died? Having male and female role models are good, but this does not have to mean just having two parents, one of each. If a boy has two moms, he isn't going to be isolated from all men-he is likely to have at least one male role model in his life-like his grandfather, uncle, cousins, teachers, male friends of his moms...same if a girl has two dads, she likely has aunts, grandmothers and other female role models in her life. Its also not like straight relationships will be a mystery to them-there are plenty of them on TV, their friends and their families, members of their own family, and other people they meet.

I'm sorry you all feel that God is a hateful God. He's not, he loves all and wants to save all...you have to see yourself for what you are to truly realize how much God loves you. His only son died so that you could live.

I'm done on the homosexuality topic. I've said all that can be said about it.

Will you at least explain if your brother is for sure not a Christian? I honestly can't understand what sort of an evil God would automatically send a loving, long term gay couple who served in their church and community for decades and who raised a strong family to hell, but a man who abandons a pregnant wife and small children isn't automatically hell bound. Your brother hurt people, including children, the gay couple only helps people and hurts no one.

Reading your posts just reminds me of the horrible lifestyle I left. The fear of going to hell. The judging who would be in hell and who wouldn't. The hypocrisy. The hatefulness. The way difficult questions were not answered. And the list could go on. You remind me of what a better life and person I am now.

I'm sorry you all feel that God is a hateful God. He's not, he loves all and wants to save all...you have to see yourself for what you are to truly realize how much God loves you. His only son died so that you could live.

There isn't a reason Jesus had to die. God set the rules. He could have just actually be forgiving.

Will you at least explain if your brother is for sure not a Christian? I honestly can't understand what sort of an evil God would automatically send a loving, long term gay couple who served in their church and community for decades and who raised a strong family to hell, but a man who abandons a pregnant wife and small children isn't automatically hell bound. Your brother hurt people, including children, the gay couple only helps people and hurts no one.

Reading your posts just reminds me of the horrible lifestyle I left. The fear of going to hell. The judging who would be in hell and who wouldn't. The hypocrisy. The hatefulness. The way difficult questions were not answered. And the list could go on. You remind me of what a better life and person I am now.

I can't say whether or not he is or isn't. By the life he is living, the bible says by their fruits we'll know them...so, by the way he is living, I have serious doubts that he is.

I can't say whether or not he is or isn't. By the life he is living, the bible says by their fruits we'll know them...so, by the way he is living, I have serious doubts that he is.

Do you realize how horrible it sounds that you will automatically label the gay couple who have been together for life and raised a stable family as going to hell, but you can't say that your brother who destroyed a family, hurt children and in general has behaved horrifically, is for sure going to hell?

Why are you so sure the gay couple is not saved but you can't say for sure whether or not he is?

As the quote oft mis-attributed to Marcus Aurelius goes:

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

I don't feel that God is a hateful God. It's your twisted evil 'God' that hates how He made people like me that's hateful. I am grateful that I do not worship such a 'God', but that along with many other Christians I can affirm mine and others' sexualities as gifts.

Do you realize how horrible it sounds that you will automatically label the gay couple who have been together for life and raised a stable family as going to hell, but you can't say that your brother who destroyed a family, hurt children and in general has behaved horrifically, is for sure going to hell?

Why are you so sure the gay couple is not saved but you can't say for sure whether or not he is?

Because you can't live the life of a reprobate and be saved. Ronnie is living a life of sin, IF he got saved when he was younger, he will be chastised for the life he is living. He cannot live the life he is living and not pay for it one way or another.

Kristina - maybe don't be so quick to assume you know better than God and that you know whether anyone is or isn't saved. It is not for us to make windows into people's souls.

Kristina - maybe don't be so quick to assume you know better than God and that you know whether anyone is or isn't saved. It is not for us to make windows into people's souls.

I've never assumed that. Going by what scripture teaches, you cannot be saved and live a homosexual lifestyle. You can't be saved and turned over to a repobate mind.

Because you can't live the life of a reprobate and be saved. Ronnie is living a life of sin, IF he got saved when he was younger, he will be chastised for the life he is living. He cannot live the life he is living and not pay for it one way or another.

And this is why I would rather go to hell if your version of God is real. Spending an eternity with a God who looks at the loving gay couple who helps the community as a reprobate and unable to be saved but looks a man like your brother as just a sinner but totally capable of being saved, would be hell itself.

A good God would love people unconditionally. Not with the condition that they must love him back and follow some pretty bizarre rules. Only a self-absorbed God would behave like yours. Your God is not good. He is not loving. He is evil, selfish and cruel. That is what your worship. That is what you praise. I remember what it is like to be blinded to the reality of this, but once you see it, it is hard to go back to finding any comfort in that sort of a God.

I honestly think that if I had been raised a liberal Christian I would have kept my belief in the Bible and God. Satan didn't cause me to lose my faith. Looking at the God I worshipped did.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unlocked this topic

Archived