IGNORED

RIP Tommy Ramone

moodygirl86

He was the final one to go, so who knows, maybe they're reunited in punk heaven. I'm going to stick my Ramones CD on now and blast Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue really loud.

I seriously have a case of the sadz. It's the end of an era.

You're not wrong there, Golightly!

Twenty, twenty, twenty-four hours to go

I wanna be sedated

Nothing to do

Nowhere to go-o

I wanna be sedated.....

RIP Tommy

Twenty, twenty, twenty-four hours to go

I wanna be sedated

Nothing to do

Nowhere to go-o

I wanna be sedated.....

RIP Tommy

One of my favourite jukebox songs, that.

My youngest daughter is a huge Ramones fan and I became one, too, albeit a bit belatedly. (I could have been one back in the day.) I immediately put on Blitzkrieg Bop. I need to pop some Ramones into the CD deck in my car.

My youngest daughter is a huge Ramones fan and I became one, too, albeit a bit belatedly. (I could have been one back in the day.) I immediately put on Blitzkrieg Bop. I need to pop some Ramones into the CD deck in my car.

It's excellent music to drive to on a sunny day, particularly the album Too Tough To Die!

• 2 weeks later...

My uncle posted a lovely tribute to him on FB. His band opened for the Ramones in the early '80s sometimes, and he said that Tommy was truly a great guy. End of an era indeed.

My uncle posted a lovely tribute to him on FB. His band opened for the Ramones in the early '80s sometimes, and he said that Tommy was truly a great guy. End of an era indeed.

Ah, that's nice! Out of curiosity, what was his band called? Did they make anything a British punk like me would know?

I think at the time he was in a band called Yipes!. He has been in so many throughout the years. I was just a kid at the time of Yipes!, so he was just my cool uncle who was in a rock group!

I think at the time he was in a band called Yipes!. He has been in so many throughout the years. I was just a kid at the time of Yipes!, so he was just my cool uncle who was in a rock group!

Ah OK, I goggled em. Were they based in Milwaukee?

That's a cool story! Didn't Anthony Kiedis in his autobiography Scar Tissue wax rhapsodic about opening for The Ramones back in the day too? If I'm remembering correctly he worshipped The Ramones and the Chili Peppers loved opening for them. Then he said the Rolling Stones were complete assholes and they hated opening for them.

That's a cool story! Didn't Anthony Kiedis in his autobiography Scar Tissue wax rhapsodic about opening for The Ramones back in the day too? If I'm remembering correctly he worshipped The Ramones and the Chili Peppers loved opening for them. Then he said the Rolling Stones were complete assholes and they hated opening for them.

Yeah, Joey was supposed to be a really nice guy. My brother's mate in Pittsburgh met Joey on a trip to NYC when he was a teenager. According to E, his friend was standing just behind Joey at an ATM and was really nervous, as Joey was about 7ft tall and looked so cool. But he turned out to be ever so friendly, not arrogant at all, and gave Pete his autograph. Gives the lie to all those never-meet-your-heroes horror stories!

Yeah, Joey was supposed to be a really nice guy. My brother's mate in Pittsburgh met Joey on a trip to NYC when he was a teenager. According to E, his friend was standing just behind Joey at an ATM and was really nervous, as Joey was about 7ft tall and looked so cool. But he turned out to be ever so friendly, not arrogant at all, and gave Pete his autograph. Gives the lie to all those never-meet-your-heroes horror stories!

I love to hear stories like that! It's refreshing to hear about celebrities treating other people with kindness, not arrogance.

Archived