IGNORED

Church of Wells Store/Catherine went back MERGED

Want More Babies

This past week Mr. Want More Babies and I were near Wells, TX and he humored me enough to let me stop at their store there in Wells. He sat in the car because he does not understand why anyone would want to see that kind of crazy up close.

The store is run down and has a lot of empty space. It looks like they buy food from other stores (Big Lots and HEB) and then mark the price up and sell it there. The Big Lots price tag wasn't even removed from the marshmallows. :lol:

There was a young man in the back reading his Bible. Never looked up the whole time I was there. Another young man was at the register. I never engaged them in conversation because I didn't want to draw more attention to myself (hello, I was walking around taking pictures).

Sharing for your pleasure. :)

Church of Wells 2.jpg

Church of Wells 3.jpg

Church of Wells 4.jpg

Church of Wells 5.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How creepy! I wonder why they have a store? Why can't the cult buy their fake beefaroni lasagna at the Big Lots like everyone else?

How creepy! I wonder why they have a store? Why can't the cult buy their fake beefaroni lasagna at the Big Lots like everyone else?

This is where I'm at. Why in the world do they need this?

I honestly don't know why they have a store. I'm doing a little research to see if I can figure that out.

Looks to me like the members of the Church of Wells must have really high cholesterol and sodium levels. :?

I checked with a top level human trafficking source. He has followed and is investigating this ‘Church.’ He will remain off the radar for now since an ongoing investigation is mounting regarding Church of the Well. He stated in our interview

“In this case there are many things that are indicators of trafficking. This is an organization that presents as a church but is structured as a for profit organization of businesses that benefits from many forms of labor. Construction, lumber, cleaning, restaurant work and others. If a few benefit from the labor of many then the amount of income is quite large in addition to the alleged victims dissolving their possessions and cash -- giving to the group.â€

www.newswithviews.com/Roth/laurie413.htm

There is a "restaurant" at the store, but it is just a couple of rickety tables and a few chairs. They are not bolted down, and just in the middle of the floor. I should have taken pictures of that area too. I would say that they are buying items on sale, then marking up the price to try and make some money. I wonder if their church members are allowed to go to Lufkin or Nacogdoches (the closest two larger towns) to shop or if they have to shop the church store.

It doesn't look like it has much selection--and I can't imagine it has much, if any, produce. So if they are required to shop at the church store, they're certainly not getting a very big variety of nutritious food to eat.

That being said, I know that a lot of cults use nutritional deprivation to keep control of their members, and that may be at play here. Weak, hungry people are easier to manipulate and control.

It doesn't look like it has much selection--and I can't imagine it has much, if any, produce. So if they are required to shop at the church store, they're certainly not getting a very big variety of nutritious food to eat.

That being said, I know that a lot of cults use nutritional deprivation to keep control of their members, and that may be at play here. Weak, hungry people are easier to manipulate and control.

That reminds me of the King of the Hill episode where LuAnn joined a "sorority" that was really a cult where everyone was renamed Jane and all they ate was rice.

ETA: I think it's kind of funny that the marshmallows were $1 at Big Lots but were marked UP to $1.29 at the store.

Did the store stock any produce.

Ewww to the faux beef-a-roni! Dollar store quality to boot!

I had never heard of the Church of Wells (I'm a CenTex girl, myself), but I used the google and found a series done by Texas Monthly on Church of Wells. The most recent article is from this past March, The Younger Years of the Church Elders

The other article from Feb. 2014 is Sinners in the Hands, which focuses on the efforts of a family to extricate or even contact their daughter, who is a member of the church cult.

Yup, cult is written all over this outfit. I looked at their website, which has a picture of all church members gathered on the porch of an old house. What was striking is that no one in that picture seemed to be over 30 or 35.

The store is just creepy. Considering their aggressive tactics toward sinners (anyone not in their church), I'm surprised they didn't approach you.

Previous FJ threads about the CoW:

Other FJ threads about CoW:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20656&p=718760&hilit=wells#p718760

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13765&p=701569&hilit=deceased#p701569

Absolutely a cult.

And, as touched upon earlier, the Grove family still has not been able to extricate - or even have a private conversation - with their daughter.

Many hurting families who have lost close members to this mess.

Did you gander at their medicine aisle? tampons pads condoms? :shifty-kitty: ok I am curious

Apple, any recent note worthy updates ?

I haven't seen much new information lately. A few months ago Sean Morris married a woman named Preethi David. She miscarried her first pregnancy a few weeks ago.

Preethi appears to be an exception to the "we are going to abuse you mentally, emotionally, and spiritually until we have you exactly where we want you so that you can't think for yourself". It also seems (by what very little information gets out) that when Catherine Grove is not being imprisoned by Heidi Keyes, Preethi acts as her guard. It's very strange. I feel terrible for her family, and for all the other families whose close family members seem lost to them.

I want to think that this mess is unsustainable.

That said, I'm far from expert about this; I just got very interested when I was following the story of Faith (deceased baby granddaughter of a person who has posted on FJ a little bit).

I wish I had some good news.

Preethi David has an openish FB under Moses Mercy Preethi David. Her July 4th post claimed that she bore the "marks of Christ" while witnessing in Nacogdoches. A further comment identifies these marks as ridicule and persecution from heathens and alleged professing Christians.

Did you gander at their medicine aisle? tampons pads condoms? :shifty-kitty: ok I am curious

I didn't think to. I might be back in that area later this year, and if so, I'll go take a look. :)

• 1 month later...

The store is now closed I mean, closed as in the doors are locked and it is no longer in operation.

However - "Deacon" Rick Trudeau bought a 17-acre plot in Alto, TX. 15,000 square feet of commercial space. A house. Outbuildings. Sawmill too, I think.

The Groves have posted documentation (police calls) that Catherine has tried to run away from CoW, not once, but twice that there is documentation for. I cannot understand why "law enforcement" take her back, every time.

No charges filed in the death of Faith.

:cry:

• 6 months later...

Updating:

The Lufkin Daily News has reported that Catherine Grove has walked away from the Church of Wells. It seems that - this time - she walked far enough to be in Angelina County instead of Cherokee County. The Angelina County law enforcement officers helped get her in contact with her father, and her father is driving her back home to Arkansas.

She will need much professional help, I am sure. But I'm glad she's out, and I hope the same for other trapped in the CoW cult.

Updating:

The Lufkin Daily News has reported that Catherine Grove has walked away from the Church of Wells. It seems that - this time - she walked far enough to be in Angelina County instead of Cherokee County. The Angelina County law enforcement officers helped get her in contact with her father, and her father is driving her back home to Arkansas.

She will need much professional help, I am sure. But I'm glad she's out, and I hope the same for other trapped in the CoW cult.

Here's a news story from a local TV station:

http://www.ktre.com/story/28713546/brea ... h-of-wells

I am thrilled for these parents. ETA: Also for Catherine!

Sharing some backstory from Texas Monthly:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/is-th ... lls-a-cult (February 2014)

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/young ... rch-elders (March 2014)

Such wonderful news! Thanks for updating apple!

I will be very curious to hear her story if she ever decides to speak out.

Archived