IGNORED

Jill's Wedding Part 2

happy atheist

Not surprised if she quit! I read in their "book" (don't look at me, I'm ashamed) & she specifically said it was something to do while she was single.

Would love if the reason is to help take care of her new MIL.

Random, but for some stupid reason, it really bothers me someone gave them that red tote picnic basket thing as a wedding present. It says "The Dillards" with razorback symbols on it. How stupid?! I know the Duggars are Arkansas razorback fans, even tho NO ONE went there. But to give it as a gift to the couple where 1 didn't go to school at all, & 1 went to OSU? (And I'm assuming he's a pretty big fan, being the mascot & all.) That just pisses me off.

I lived in AR, and it is extremely common for people who didn't attend u of a to have razorback merchandise. I had a razorback shirt in high school and I wasn't even planning to go there.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived in AR, and it is extremely common for people who didn't attend u of a to have razorback merchandise. I had a razorback shirt in high school and I wasn't even planning to go there.

Oh no, I totally get that. I live in Texas, & same goes here, too. But as a wedding gift, to a couple, who's loyalties will lie with the OSU Cowboys, it seems stupid & thoughtless. The wife didn't attend there, & the husband was the freaking mascot for a different school. A huge Div 1 football school.

Does it actually say anything anywhere about Jill quitting midwifery? I know it's safe to assume that women in this lifestyle quit working after marriage, but has this been confirmed for Jill?

In Australia home births are still quite uncommon though they have gained some popularity in recent years. Also in Australia I have never heard of a mid wife apprentice. You can only get your degree at University and you do pracs/placements in hospitals. You can do a straight Mid Wife 3 (?) year degree or a 3 year RN Degree with an extra year (I think) to become a mid wife. I know a friend of a friend who dropped out of her mid wife course because she was required as part of her learning and or prac to participate in abortions. This went against her religion. I don't know about the USA where home birth is more common and therefore you can choose to work from home and pick your clients rather than in a hospital where god forbid you may have to treat or deal with anything against your ethics This is one reason why IMO I do not see Jill getting her RN.

Another reason as does she have the IQ to? Being homeschooled to a year 9 level does she have the smarts to complete for example university chemistry?

Reason three aren't they frugal? Why spend money on a degree that you won't use when you pop out a baby?

Anyway they are some of my random thoughts, 2 cents worth I have had whilst reading this link and watching the show.

No way would Jill be able to pass a chemistry class. If she were even able to get into college, she's have to take several remedial courses (which don't count as credits) before starting classes for her major. Home school per se isn't the problem...Duggar style fundie homeschooling is.

Midwifery in the US is a mess. There are CNMs, which are the equivalent of what you are used to in Australia and the rest of the developed world--some may do homebirth in states where they won't lose their license and/or malpractice coverage for doing so, but most work in hospitals. The vast majority of homebirth midwives are lay midwives--they have no formal, standardized training, most of them do it via apprenticeship, the organization that loosely unites them only very recently required them to have high school dimplomas, and states vary widely in how they're regulated.(In Oregon, for example, anyone can call themselves a midwife and that's it, they're a midwife.) That's the type of midwifery Jill was "studying." It's actually a very good thing if she did quit--it's only a matter of time before her lack of a real education resulted in death or severe injury.

No way would Jill be able to pass a chemistry class. If she were even able to get into college, she's have to take several remedial courses (which don't count as credits) before starting classes for her major. Home school per se isn't the problem...Duggar style fundie homeschooling is.

Midwifery in the US is a mess. There are CNMs, which are the equivalent of what you are used to in Australia and the rest of the developed world--some may do homebirth in states where they won't lose their license and/or malpractice coverage for doing so, but most work in hospitals. The vast majority of homebirth midwives are lay midwives--they have no formal, standardized training, most of them do it via apprenticeship, the organization that loosely unites them only very recently required them to have high school dimplomas, and states vary widely in how they're regulated.(In Oregon, for example, anyone can call themselves a midwife and that's it, they're a midwife.) That's the type of midwifery Jill was "studying." It's actually a very good thing if she did quit--it's only a matter of time before her lack of a real education resulted in death or severe injury.

Thanks for that reply. I did wonder all of that kind of stuff (what qualifications these women had) I did not think they would be very high if Jill could get into the course.

I was very scared for the women in the show because I just do not think I would trust anyone under a tertiary qualified nurse to deliver my baby.

Though I would take jill over someone (like me) with no clue in an emergency situation.

I am so glad my goverment has such strict laws governing mid wifes and the whole home birth section.

Tough home birth guidlines, high personal business insurance costs and general public conceptions is why home births are very uncommon in Australia. That and the fact that our medical system it is free to have your baby in hospital. So no one has any other reason other than personal choice to have their baby at home.

Oh no, I totally get that. I live in Texas, & same goes here, too. But as a wedding gift, to a couple, who's loyalties will lie with the OSU Cowboys, it seems stupid & thoughtless. The wife didn't attend there, & the husband was the freaking mascot for a different school. A huge Div 1 football school.

There is a pic of Jill and Derick pre-marriage where they both have on Razorback shirts. I guess Jill won what college team they would support. :geek:

I'm really surprised that Derick isn't asking her to support OSU as well. Seems his loyalties would be more deeply set.

There is a pic of Jill and Derick pre-marriage where they both have on Razorback shirts. I guess Jill won what college team they would support. :geek:

I'm really surprised that Derick isn't asking her to support OSU as well. Seems his loyalties would be more deeply set.

Isn't Derrick also from Arkansas? If someone ggrew up in Arkansas then went to college out of state, they would still be a razorbacks fan at all times except when Arkansas is playing the other state, so most of the time it wouldn't be a problem to have two favorite teams.

Someone else has said on Duggars tumblr that Jill is just taking a break and will be back doing midwifery soon. So there is still hope.

JBoob chose Derick for Jill and followed through with a speedy courtship & wedding because Jill was learning a skill that might actually result in a real job. A REAL job in the real world. No way he could let THAT happen! :naughty:

I didn't think about the possibility of Jill quitting (or "taking a break") in order to care for Cathy. That's a very real possibility and I really hope that's the case. Midwifery is such a wonderful career and Jill could do so much with it. In the very least she could be there for her sisters and future sisters in law love. And think about the money saved there! I sort of understand their "women should stay home" mantra but midwifery is a respectful career she could have from home. Taking care of Cathy is still respectable as well though, as long as her care isn't just praying the sin cancer away.

The surprise for me isn't that she quit midwifery, but that others would be so surprised if she quit. She always said it was something to do while she was single.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be at all comfortable with a daughter-in-law I barely know taking physical care of me while I'm ill. If Jill were a nurse, then maaaaaybe, but it's still a huge stretch to assume that's the reason she hasn't been at the birth center recently.

Isn't Derrick also from Arkansas? If someone ggrew up in Arkansas then went to college out of state, they would still be a razorbacks fan at all times except when Arkansas is playing the other state, so most of the time it wouldn't be a problem to have two favorite teams.

I attend another college in Arkansas and students there wear Razorback stuff all the time. The Razorbacks are like Arkansas' professional team and 90% of the state roots for them regardless of where they went to school or if they went to school.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be at all comfortable with a daughter-in-law I barely know taking physical care of me while I'm ill. If Jill were a nurse, then maaaaaybe, but it's still a huge stretch to assume that's the reason she hasn't been at the birth center recently.

I may be in the minority but I do not think that it is a great idea if Jill quit midwifing(is that a word?) to take care of her mother-in-law. I understand if she is helping out once in awhile but I would find it wrong for someone, who barely knows her husband, to quit her training/job to take care of a mother-in-law practically full-time. It is one thing if she has been her mother-in-law for 20 years, it is another if it is just expected that it will be the new wife's job who barely knows her mother-in-law. Derrick has a sibling and I am sure many other relatives but it shouldn't fall on Jill to do the job. Maybe if this was anyone else I would feel different but I just worry that Jill is always being taken advantage of. She has spent her life raising her siblings, finds a little freedom in learning to be a midwife, and now that she is married she is supposed to take care of her mother-in-law immediately upon the ring going on her finger? Who is taking care of her? If Derrick's mother is as sick as some seem to think she is, Jill should not have that type of pressure put on her. As someone who has taken care of sick relative, it is a draining and stressful job and not one that should be faced by a newlywed who is just learning to do things on her own.

It could be as simple as cooking, cleaning, and companionship, which actually would add up to some serious quality time with her MIL. If Cathy gets better, there is potential for a close friendship (and subtle, sustained deprogramming :shhh: ). If Cathy doesn't make it, Jill will have dear, precious memories of her.

SMH if the family assumes/expects Jill to do it because she's the only (?) woman in the family, though. And I'm sure they do.

Midwifery is the norm over here as regards birth, very few babies are delivered by a doctor (unless a c section/forceps etc). I find it fascinating that midwives are not mainstream across the pond and that Anna's waterbirth was seen as something different.

I had my second daugher in the water at a NHS midwife led unit and it was amazing, very different from my medicalised first birth at the delivery centre in the same hospital.

I attend another college in Arkansas and students there wear Razorback stuff all the time. The Razorbacks are like Arkansas' professional team and 90% of the state roots for them regardless of where they went to school or if they went to school.

Yeah, this is what people do when there's no local professional team to root for. The Duggars don't even strike me as sports fans, just conformists who are overinvested in looking normal. :roll:

It could be as simple as cooking, cleaning, and companionship, which actually would add up to some serious quality time with her MIL. If Cathy gets better, there is potential for a close friendship (and subtle, sustained deprogramming :shhh: ). If Cathy doesn't make it, Jill will have dear, precious memories of her.

SMH if the family assumes/expects Jill to do it because she's the only (?) woman in the family, though. And I'm sure they do.

Doing any or all of that would be great. Her sons and husbands can't really take all that time off work (normal jobs, you know) and cancer treatment makes you really weak (as well as other unpleasant side effects)

We're talking about the Duggars. Don't the married Duggar women pee on a stick every time the go, unless the have already confirmed a pregnancy?

If she's paying attention, she could definitely suspect she's pregnant if she's been charting. I had every early pregnancy sign, except nausea a full week and a half before AF. I just waited to test until I was one day late. Did NOT wanna stress out and overtest like Anna! :angry-banghead:

Which btw, I have a couple ept's, wonder if I should donate them to the cause??? :lol:

I'm watching old episodes and although I can't stand him, I do think Jim Bob is pretty sweet towards Jill and is genuinely happy for her, unlike Michelle who makes it about her..

I am pretty sure that the Duggars buy pregnancy tests online in bulk. I know you can get like 50 ovulation tests plus 20 pregnancy tests for $20.00 on amazon. You can also get them at the dollar store. If you test every time you feel a little off the cost of the normal ones adds up quick (speaking from experience as a bitter infertile). :dance:

I always figured that Jill would just take a bit of time off midwifery, and return to it at some point, mainly because if Derrick was a missionary, and goes on another trip, having a wife with Jill's skills would be very useful in some countries.

If she does just start popping out babies, and leaves it altogether, I think it's an indication of just how much influence Gothards teachings have on her.

OK, so the 2 week waiting period for pictures is up. Where are all the candid wedding shots?

:popcorn2:

OK, so the 2 week waiting period for pictures is up. Where are all the candid wedding shots?

Amazing that we still haven't seen Michelle's MOB dress.

I thought it was 3 weeks?

Archived