IGNORED

Just got this in the mail... Chick Tract

actuallyjessica

I just opened my letterbox to see that this had been placed in there. A tract, from a local baptist church!

0001_01.gif

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0001/0001_01.asp

I'm convinced I am going to hell now. The tract worked. :|

Also in the letterbox was a letter inviting me to their church, because 'international public speaker' Glen Weeks will be giving the gospel in a few weeks. He's from the US - anyone heard of him?

Is it wrong that I'm tempted to go, just to see what all the fuss is about?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are hilariously bad. I like this one: [chick.com/reading/tracts/0034/0034_01.asp] about rock music. The bit about vampirism and AIDS is all kinds of wtf.

Chick tracts are legendary in fundagelical circles. Most people I know who were raised evangelical mock them--and many of them are still loyal to evangelicalism, no less.

Check out the fabulous queens in Sodom and Gomorrah in the gays are gonna get ya tract. Would totally hang with them.

Here goes... Why are they called "chick tracts"?

Theyre named after the guy who wrote them.

oooh! ooh! I'd love to hear a full report!

But it may be a long service and I wouldn't blame you a bit for not wanting to put in that kind of time. Of course, you might be able to duck out during the altar call provided the ushers haven't been instructed to try to keep you there... (for the uninitiated, it's where the pastor calls people forward to pray and repent of their sins and get saved. Depending on the church, the preacher, and the movement of the spirit, it can go on a bit)

You know you grew up fun die when even Chick tracts weren't strict enough. (The frames depicting scenes of Judgement often included a figure of'God'-it was usually just a foot or a hand, never a face of anything. That was deemed to be an image of God and against a commandment or two. According to my school teachers, Mr Chick was destined to he'll with the rest of them. Haha.)

Gamer geeks such as myself consider this one about Dungeons and Dragons to be a favorite just because it's hilarious. I personally think the demons in some of those tracts are pretty cute.

chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

OMG I just realized I was given one of these many years ago at the movie theatre when I went to see Moulin Rouge. I saw the "JTC" and thought "Jesus.... Christ..... what's the T for, his middle name?" (I was about 13 at the time, don't laugh!) Jack T Chick. Okay! ;)

I love how they specify that if you are already a Christian you need to read the KJV of the bible...because all those others are filled with inconsistencies!

I can't be the only one here who was forced to pass these out as a kid, right?

You're not alone :<

A friend's family had a stash by their door – in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they still do, 15 years later – and we would pass them out when we went out with them; I think my parents upon finding the "KJV only" one ended that... like KJV-only was the primary issue with the tracts, ha!

My mom has a collection of Chick tracts. Gotta catch em all!

When I was a kid in public school, every few months fundies would pass them out at the school property line as we were on way home. My sis and I thought they were hilariously awesome (and scary, because our family believed the theology in them) and totally directed at kids, because it's a comic, duh.

Now you can have Chick tracts on your Android phone! chick.com/apps/

There's an iPhone app too, but they're different and the Android one is better, I think. Share them with your friends! :twisted:

I just opened my letterbox to see that this had been placed in there. A tract, from a local baptist church!

0001_01.gif

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0001/0001_01.asp

I'm convinced I am going to hell now. The tract worked. :|

Also in the letterbox was a letter inviting me to their church, because 'international public speaker' Glen Weeks will be giving the gospel in a few weeks. He's from the US - anyone heard of him?

Is it wrong that I'm tempted to go, just to see what all the fuss is about?

In the US, it is highly illegal to place things in somebody's mailbox, nobody but the homeowner or the mail carrier is allowed to access your mailbox. It is a violation of federal law (because the jerks are too cheap to pay postage). You might want to run this by your local post office and complain. They will likely send a notification to the church. There may even be some hefty fines.

In the US, it is highly illegal to place things in somebody's mailbox, nobody but the homeowner or the mail carrier is allowed to access your mailbox. It is a violation of federal law (because the jerks are too cheap to pay postage). You might want to run this by your local post office and complain. They will likely send a notification to the church. There may even be some hefty fines.

The fine for putting items without postage in, on or around your mailbox is $5K per event for an individual, or $10K per event if it is for a business or organization, per mailbox. We had an HOA that continually broke this rule even after I explained it to them. Their excuse was they were saving money. I finally had to file a actual complaint with the post office to get the postmaster to tell them to stop it. $10K per mailbox X 110 houses was too damn much money for them to risk it, so they stopped when they got an official warning.

In the US, it is highly illegal to place things in somebody's mailbox, nobody but the homeowner or the mail carrier is allowed to access your mailbox. It is a violation of federal law (because the jerks are too cheap to pay postage). You might want to run this by your local post office and complain. They will likely send a notification to the church. There may even be some hefty fines.[/quote

This is exactly what I was thinking. When I went door to door wih the seventh day Adventists, we were told, strictly, and often, NEVER under any circumstances to mess wig mailboxes.

I was under the impression the op had the flyer mailed to her? Otherwise yes this is all highly illegal.

Tracts! I get a little over excited about them. I greedily snatch them from the hands of fundies when they try to hand them to my child... I purposely walk towards the group of skirt wearing ladies on the street to let them give me their hand outs... one time there was a huge group of what looked like quintessential gypsies to me but turned out to be some sort of christian religious group, peacefully demonstrating in a pedestrian shopping zone near to where I live. The women and some of the younger men were dancing merrily and coaxing passerby's to join in, it all looked so nice and kind and fun. The music sounded mystical/medieval to me and their clothes were earth tones and looked like they had no zippers or buttons. Anyways, they were handing out some sort of tracts and asking people to talk and dance with them and I desperately wanted one of those tracts... I walked by at least 4 times and they seriously avoided me every time. I swear I do not have Atheist tattooed on my forehead. I never did get one of their tracts and I still consider them one of the ones that got away... ;)

I recently (a few weeks ago) found a tract inside an American military exchange, laying on the floor. It isn't a Chick, it's Living Waters. I knew what it was as soon as I saw it and I ran for it like it was a hundred dollar bill. :lol: I really enjoyed reading it to my husband, child, and her friend on the way home. I have to wonder about these tracts being handed out on a military post. It's definitely not the first time I've seen them in the military.

store.livingwaters.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=84&category_id=8&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=369〈=en

i'm in australia and my letterbox/mailbox looks like this:

DSC_0040.jpg

so technically, they didn't have access to it.

The only Chick tract I've ever read discussed the evils of Halloween. A couple of kids didn't obey the Godly lady who told them not to go out trick-or-treating. She swore that hell yawned before the kids and their parents if they were allowed to go out, because Halloween was Satanic and of the devil.

Next panel you see, both kids have eaten apples that were in their goody bags. The apples contained razors, and both kids died eating them. Last panel showed the kids in hell with Satan.

Yep, Jack Chick is a special kind of crazy.

Gamer geeks such as myself consider this one about Dungeons and Dragons to be a favorite just because it's hilarious. I personally think the demons in some of those tracts are pretty cute.

chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

But...but...how come I was never invited to a coven when I played D&D in high school?

I feel cheated.

Wow, that is the Fort Knox of mailboxes...how do you get the mail out? :lol:

Wow, that is the Fort Knox of mailboxes...how do you get the mail out? :lol:

Very common for australian letter boxes to look like this! Around the back of it there's a flap that you open. Ours has a lock on it so that only people with the key can retrieve our mail. The bottom (round hole) is for catalogues. So they're quite different to US mailboxes.

Archived