IGNORED

Our Friend Taryn

theologygeek

Boogalou:

Your.Avatar.Is.Awesome!!!!!!!!

:laughing-rolling:

It's awesome cuz it's true :) But really, I have been thinking on that for years. Google just supplied the perfect picture. Apparently the devil is OK is a popular theory.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RE: Jumping the Broom Stick

In my many trips into my history books I have found more than just a few references to broomstick jumping. During slavery times, marriage was one of the many things illegal for slaves or even free blacks. Jumping the broom gives the feeling of having a proper ceremony to cement one to the other, they wanted that just as the whites did. Some were lucky enough to have a kindly master who might read out of a bible but they wanted legal proof they were married to make it harder to be separated, but of course that didn't matter. Also if their masters were not in agreement of the marriage and they jumped the broom anyway, then one or both could face death.

Very sick and tragic times.

I just went to a friends "handfasting" (they are pagan) and at the end of the ceremony the hopped over a broom handle. She almost biffed it in her dress but it made for an amusing picture. I asked her sister about it later and she said it was part of the tradition - I did not realize that it had such a horrible history. That and the Jewish tradition of the stomoping of the glass are both interesting traditions.

Holy crap did I wander waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay OT! Sorry! :ugeek:

:edited: because I was not educated at the kitchen table so my grammar and spelling mistakes irked me :)

So how do we standardize the Taryn Scale? Is 1.0 Taryns the measure of everyday Taryn, with most other fundie incoherence being some fractional part of a Taryn? Is Zsu-Zsu Herself a .9T, ThinkingHousewife a .8T, Kelly (GC) .7T?

Taryn said...

I recently read, Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury-the anniversary edition with an interview with the author included after the afterword. I'll never look at tv the same way again. Spanking is mentioned(page 30). Reading this brought to mind a few things in the novel. Children in school, then watching tv after school is mentioned on page 96. The novel mentions the Bible but I think it's left out of the movie,if I remember correctly. I enjoyed grocery shopping with my children. Last night I was in a grocery store with my third granddaughter-18 months old. People fussed over her down almost every aisle. I have to admit that I make racecar(palindrome) noises when I have the cart or stroller at first.

6:06 PM

What does this even mean?! :lol:

So how do we standardize the Taryn Scale? Is 1.0 Taryns the measure of everyday Taryn, with most other fundie incoherence being some fractional part of a Taryn? Is Zsu-Zsu Herself a .9T, ThinkingHousewife a .8T, Kelly (GC) .7T?

We might measure each instance or piece of writing individually and assess based on the "amplitude waves" (comments on FJ) it generates.

I'm certain that Zhu and Kelly have both created items which warrant a ranking of 1.0, but they are not as consistent along the GC and Are they ALL yours!? fault lines.

I think the Taryn scale only works for rating individual posts or comments. Even Taryn herself doesn't always rate a full taryn.

The rating measures:

-overall incoherence

-paranoia

-number of non sequiturs/irrelevant details

-degree of distance from original topic

-number of citations

-sheer bizareness - e.g. human breastfeeding monkey

Anything else?

I think the Taryn scale only works for rating individual posts or comments. Even Taryn herself doesn't always rate a full taryn.

The rating measures:

-overall incoherence

-paranoia

-number of non sequiturs/irrelevant details

-degree of distance from original topic

-number of citations

-sheer bizareness - e.g. human breastfeeding monkey

Anything else?

I think you should also include how many times she specifies using the KJ bible.

I noticed on the Cantering the Country map that Taryn shows up twice -- once from California, once upstate NY. Is she everyone? Is she a multi person troll? I'm so confused!

jumping the broom is definitely a "thing"...maybe it is more common in the south, due to history and population?

i freaking love taryn. she definitely wins the internet. and back to page one, about the plastic cups, you'll note she still uses corelle for her tea. I'm certain that corelle is mentioned in Leviticus (KJV).

refrigerator.

(just had to throw in a non-sequitur when discussing taryn)

Guest Anonymous
I had to go see what she's been doing over on the Adventures in Raising Girls/Gessler family blog. A few top hits, although certainly not all:

It's almost like... like she doesn't quite understand that other people aren't inside her head, thinking the same thoughts and privy to the same exact experiences. Almost like a very young child would think, you know? Do you think she's maybe a little bit slow?

• 1 year later...

Any Taryn sighting lately? I miss her comments. They brightened my world.

Guest Anonymous
I noticed on the Cantering the Country map that Taryn shows up twice -- once from California, once upstate NY. Is she everyone? Is she a multi person troll? I'm so confused!

Now we know: she's actually Zelig!

Didn't someone here once take a non-sensical Taryn post and translate it into english? Lissar maybe? It was one of the funniest posts ever.

I don't think Taryn has been around as much since someone "impersonated" her on one of Zsu's posts :lol: But I have really enjoyed rereading this thread.

Now we know: she's actually Zelig!

:lol:

Maybe the problem is that, like Zelig, she turns into a copy of whoever is around, and she is near people with divergent thoughts when she posts her stream of unconciousness.

I miss Taryn soooo much.

Damn that other poster who had the temerity to be named Taryn!!!!

I also miss her, but I enjoyed her freak-out on those blogs when someone else named Taryn had the nerve to post. She posted that rant on other blogs besides Zsu's.

Taryn is just so fucking epic. :lol:

We should all light a candle and pray for her return. Hopefully she survived the hurricane unscathed and has some wisdom she can share with us.

We should all light a candle and pray for her return. Hopefully she survived the hurricane unscathed and has some wisdom she can share with us.

It would be so wonderful if Taryn ever came here.

Unlikely, I know, but her responses to threads and posts here would be priceless.

I also miss her, but I enjoyed her freak-out on those blogs when someone else named Taryn had the nerve to post. She posted that rant on other blogs besides Zsu's.

Oh please, does someone have the quote? We're jonesing for Taryn and even re-runs would do.

Oh, this is such a treat. I am chortling here.

I think my favorite thing is her carrying on about how ebil lesbians worked on the NIV Bible when she's a King James Bible fangirl and hello, King James loved the mens like wild.

Archived