IGNORED

15 years old= not old enough to know they should be serving

One of my kids is into sports 24/7, their choice, so they have a schedule in the summer. T'other is almost entirely left to their own devices and I'm amazed at what they can pack into one day. Lots of sleeping and TV watching of course but also adventures on the bike, earning money, making videos you name it. They also very naturally help out the neighbour's little kids, not because they think they have a duty to serve others, ffs, they just think they're cute.

I'm not a child psychologist but isn't aimless 'time wasting' play supposed essential for healthy development?

I think it's interesting that some people who argue for homeschooling and closer families in reaction against those overscheduled, underparented worldly kids they fear so much, end up so micromanaging their own families that their children are being raised by a chart rather than a person. And when they do type in 20 minutes to interact with a child, what will there be to talk about when there's no outside input? Seems counterproductive to me.

Erika lives not far from me and goes to church just up the road. Somehow that makes me take her more personally.

Anyone else calling social services? Its not unheard of these days for fundy Christians to be charged with slavery. Her blog is proof this is what she is doing. I hope surveillance of her household proves that what she is blogging about is not the reality.

I see it other ways.

As a controlled kid who became an adult and then a parent, I still have a hard time setting limits with my kids, but only because I am terrified mine will feel like I did as a kid. Luckily, I didn't have a birth to adulthood fundy life, I came into it at 8 years old, so I had lived in the world. I knew my surroundings weren't safe or normal. So I was about to fight back, even amidst the abuse to "break " me, I never lost my own mind. I did disassociate much of my teen years.

Anyway, I fear kids that grow up in these prisons will do what I did to the extreme, which is taking things that they heard being condemned and preached against and doing them just to say they did. I never got into drugs or prostitution, but I attribute that to my worldly first childhood before my adoption into the IFB.

When do those kids have a chance to make friends and socialize? She's setting them up to fail in life because they won't know how to relate to anyone.

So sad for these kids! My teen summers were amazing! I babysat and conditioned for track but most of my time was spent swimming in our pool and reading for hours on end. Sleepovers with a friend and chatting on the phone. The best part of childhood. What's wrong with a little enjoyment in life?

And in response to the younger kids not having "scheduled showers I believe I read in the comments on her blog she bathes them once a week on Saturday night hmmm. She then backtracks and said they take "play baths a few times a week" where they stay in for awhile and play with toys. Let's hope they take a lot of play baths! I think that is gross and lazy.

When do those kids have a chance to make friends and socialize? She's setting them up to fail in life because they won't know how to relate to anyone.

I wonder the same thing. Not just w/ her kids but all of these Fundie kids.

So sad for these kids! My teen summers were amazing! I babysat and conditioned for track but most of my time was spent swimming in our pool and reading for hours on end. Sleepovers with a friend and chatting on the phone. The best part of childhood. What's wrong with a little enjoyment in life?

And in response to the younger kids not having "scheduled showers I believe I read in the comments on her blog she bathes them once a week on Saturday night hmmm. She then backtracks and said they take "play baths a few times a week" where they stay in for awhile and play with toys. Let's hope they take a lot of play baths! I think that is gross and lazy.

I think it's very telling that kids ages 3-7 don't get dirty/sweaty enough to need a bath at least every other day. Obviously in a busy family, sometimes baths get skipped, but to not even plan to give them seems strange.

I also found an interesting older entry about scheduling, where she responded to a question about whether or not their Saturdays are scheduled. SPOILER ALERT: Yes, they are :roll:

largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2011/09/scheduling-what-to-do-with-weekends.html#more

I actually find Erika one of the most disturbed, and disturbing, fundy bloggers I follow.

I found it most interesting that she responded to a criticism by asserting that the poster was prideful (=sinful). Because such a response on her part is oh-so-humble.

And then there is her logic that of course she can handle all these kids because why else would God have given her such blessings.

I think Maxhell might actually be an improvement for her kids - which is saying something.

There are a lot of fundie bloggers whose writing styles can be considered annoying, but nobody annoys me quite like Erika. When she does her whole *smile* thing, you can practically feel the fake dripping off her posts. That woman is unhinged. Even a Stepford wife comes across as being more genuine than her. She makes me *shudder* because she is so disturbing. I have never once seen anything on her blog about the individual personalities of her kids. Everything is cold, clinical, and sterile. She probably only bathes the kids once a week so she doesn't have to get her sparkling bathrooms dirty.

Baths once a week? Disgusting.

You would think Erika would bath them more often, with how obsessed she is with cleanliness and order. Although then again, they probably have no time to get dirty as they are so controlled.

If it is not on the schedule then they don't. Erika is well on her way to Maxhell, if she isn't there already. She adores the Maxwells, which makes me wonder how far her hero worship goes. Karen is adorable and seems sweet, just like Sarah Maxwell... *shudder* *grimace*

I hate schedules, being more of a "fly by the seat of my pants" kind of girl. That being said, during the school year, we have somewhat of a routine. My oldest goes to public school, and I homeschool the youngest 3. We get up at 730, start school at 8. We work until 10, take a break, then work from 1030-1230, then break for lunch. The kids eat, then work independently until 2, while I get chores done. After 2, they are free to do whatever they please. Dinner is at 6, nightime pick up, getting ready for bed at 830, then quiet time at 9. They don't have to go to sleep, but they need to be in their rooms, being quiet.

In the summer, and on weekends, they do whatever they want, within reason. Sometimes I don't see them until dinnertime. I do encourage the older one to be more active, since she tends to be a bit lazy.She'd spend her whole summer watching tv if I let her. The younger girl is very driven. She makes her own schedule to include school work, volunteering, and daily workouts. She got her youngest brother to brush up his math skills with her. She got her middle brother to go into business with her doing odd jobs for the neighbors. I get tired just watching her. The boys would play video games all day if I let them, so I do limit that somewhat. Luckily, they aren't too lazy with their big sister around. They play with the neighborhood kids a lot, which is good. My daughter gets them reading, which is great.

I don't make anyone do anything. Maybe a little gentle prodding once in a while, especially for the older girl, but they pretty much run wild all summer. I think that's exactly how it should be.

My sister and I were never put on a schedule. Daddy worked swing shift, so it was kind of hard to come up with one.

Life in the Shupe household sounds miserable. The moment those children get an ounce of freedom they are swinging exactly 180 degrees away from their upbringing.

A lot different from my mom! She didn't make us do much of anything aside from evening dishes and helping fold/hang out/put up laundry. Geez, let them be kids! There's plenty of time for responsibility!

Eta... then again, my kid is the one who, along with playing outside with the cats, playing Lego's and Barbies, wants to work in her math workbook and read to her baby dolls. So, I don't know. I guess if I see her choosing to spend all day on the couch, unless she's sick, I turn the tv off or to a music/digital radio station and tell her to get up and play. I don't have to do that often. And I wouldn't over schedule her for the world.

Anyone else calling social services? Its not unheard of these days for fundy Christians to be charged with slavery. Her blog is proof this is what she is doing. I hope surveillance of her household proves that what she is blogging about is not the reality.

Generally we only contact social services in very dangerous situations. I think that the amount of control is more than a bit excessive but not necessarily abusive. And in my many years of Fundie watching I have NEVER heard of anyone being charged with slavery.

Archived