IGNORED

Sarah Serven is Engaged

Kira

Off to gag now... a caption from the Serven blog

"Mrs. Z. encouraging us in blessing the men in our lives - be it father, or husband."

Stop! Don't read any further!

Because one or two photos down is the caption (paraphrased) "Beth tells us how to trust our earthly headships and follow them and gives examples."

Oh lucky women, who've wound up with trustworthy, calm, hard-working, sacrificially loving men. Because it's just that easy to do so, when you're The Elect.

Srsly makes me something-something [/Homer Simpson].

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where oh where are you all finding these blog quotes? The link I have for the Serven Clan blog no longer exists!

Must find!

WIW, it's servenclan.Blogspot.com as always.

Hasn't been updated in over a year, though. I get the impression Lydia is even less interested in continuing Rebecca's initial fabulous work than Sarah was. Pity.

Stop! Don't read any further!

Because one or two photos down is the caption (paraphrased) "Beth tells us how to trust our earthly headships and follow them and gives examples."

Oh lucky women, who've wound up with trustworthy, calm, hard-working, sacrificially loving men. Because it's just that easy to do so, when you're The Elect.

Srsly makes me something-something [/Homer Simpson].

Super-WTF moment: earthly headships

Sounds like some ET-type "being" :cray-cray:

Super-WTF moment: earthly headships

Sounds like some ET-type "being" :cray-cray:

:lol4:

Y'know, it bugged me that I might've gotten the quote wrong, so I went back and it's even better than I mis-said it:

Also, Beth shared stories with us, and encouragement on the necessity to trust your earthly head.

My earthly head. Can it get any more twee?

Actually, I think I'm going to work on replacing, "Oh, my achin' back!" with "Oh, my earthly head!" next time I want to remark upon the aches and pains of old age.

And while I'm in the topic, one other thing: Can we undo the tradition of photographing brides with babies on their hips (see Nate & Emily Serven at the altar greeting Abe and Beth by holding their younger one) and babies on their dresses on the lawn (see 5,000 shots of Cody & Sarah with 10,000 kids on them) and brides-to-be at their wedding showers, covered up with little girls like a warm-fuzzy Miss Hannegan from Annie?

OK, the little girls wanting to see the loot at a bridal shower, I can see. But oh my achin' earthly head, can you stooped dominionists give the new couple five MINUTES without reminding them that all their sexual pleasure is for nothing more than fillin' up the ranks of gawd's army?!?!

I should know this, the Servenclanners being my gateway domionists & all, but what was (past tense intended!) Sarah's deal before the transfer of authority?

Rebecca played piano and taught, led a children's choir, and wrote a dang nice family blog.

Elizabeth .... tended goats.

Lydia - not yet married - is another goatherd and also majorly involved in violin music and with a local youth orchestra.

Sarah did the blog a little after Rebecca's transfer of authority and ... what else? Appeared at Casa Loomis after Nehemiah was born to help the new parents. And what else, other than try out various styles of eyeglasses and design a really gorgeous transfer-of-authority veil & dress ensemble? And court Cody Winton, of course.

I can't think of anything at which she "excelled!" Maybe she's been saving up her energy to go to school or become the Wintons band manager or something. :think:

On her Pinterest page, Sarah describes herself as "Daughter of two, sister of eight, auntie to seven . . . an excited fiancée to one."

I believe there's something to the theories of birth order. Rebecca was/is a typical eldest child (eldest of the girls, anyway) - responsible to a fault, and more serious-seeming. I think Sarah fits the mold of the more carefree younger kid. She's also commented (in their blog, I think, and in other places I've found online) that she takes great pleasure in being Auntie Sarah to all those little ones.

(The above is the opinion of another typical, highly responsible oldest child. Feel free to disagree! :lol: )

On her Pinterest page, Sarah describes herself as "Daughter of two, sister of eight, auntie to seven . . . an excited fiancée to one."

I believe there's something to the theories of birth order. Rebecca was/is a typical eldest child (eldest of the girls, anyway) - responsible to a fault, and more serious-seeming. I think Sarah fits the mold of the more carefree younger kid. She's also commented (in their blog, I think, and in other places I've found online) that she takes great pleasure in being Auntie Sarah to all those little ones.

(The above is the opinion of another typical, highly responsible oldest child. Feel free to disagree! :lol: )

Yet one more typical, highly responsible, winner of the "most neurotic" family ribbon, oldest child right here to say, "Well, yeah! MtL hits it out of the park yet again!"

Rebecca is the oldest of all of them, with Nathan (IIRC) about 18-24 months after her. You nailed it, Madam Librarian.

That said, I can't help but think poorly yet again of Rev.Dr.Marcus and his helpmeet Cheryl. Keeping their firstborn - and Elizabeth - at home to raise the kids THEY chose to attempt to conceive, under THEIR made-up, self-serving rules about adult daughters' obligations to their parents .... argh!

On the bright side, I suppose, their selfishness had the unintended benefit of bringing fewer little Loomii into the world for dominionistic purposes. Although I do hold out some hope for Priscilla Jane: hard to imagine Daddy Steven preventing her *or* brother Nehemiah from pursuing higher education, what with his own incredible intellectual achievements and his mother, who earned a doctorate in nursing.

Anyway, enjoy married life, SaraHipster! I'll be idly watching to see if you're as conditioned to want to be Mommie Sarah now that it's your option/oeuvre!!!!

Bumping to report that Jordan Niednagel et famille attended the wedding, and has conveniently posted a few pics, including the best shot yet of Sarah's wedding dress. Look closely, you'll spy the Botkinettes at the reception!

niednagel.com/blog.htm

It's worth noting that Peter Serven (married to Meredith, right? I can't keep track) has a twitter page or something and there is a lot of libertarian stuff on there. Libertarianism might be odious to many here on FJ, but for the intellectually and philosophically consistent it is quite incompatible with fundamentalism (which I realize is irrelevant in many cases because fundies are never HUGE on philosophical consistency). He has a few quips about how good ideas shouldn't require coercion. I happen to be a libertarian and a former fundie, so maybe it's more obvious to me, but I would so love to ask Peter & all the fundies who support "libertarian" (loosely defined) candidates how they can reconcile their theonomic leanings with libertarianism. Chances are they can't...but it makes no sense to say "good ideas don't require coercion" and then turn to your children and say "you better not X because you'll go to hell for it." <--- Threat of eternal damnation is quite possible one of the worst kinds of coercion. Especially when used on children.

So all of that leads me to wonder if maybe PS has distanced himself just a wee bit from the hard core fundie beliefs of his parents.

ETA: yay! I'm a speshul snowflake now! :dance:

Spanky Sproull officiated? What fresh hell is this?

Anna Sofia looks elegant, I didn't espy The Other One.

Marriage & dad hood isnt agreeing all that well w Jordan, is it? Looking a bit tired.

The gown was prettier in those photos -- more details visible. It was an elegant dress, and looked like it was actually something purchased rather than made at home. It fit her perfectly.

• 4 months later...

Update - the wedding photographer has blogged about the day, and included 329 photos for good measure. Start at the reception (#240 or so), and you can see glimpses of fundie royalty. I've spotted one or two of the Zes sisters, some Niednagels, some Thomases, some Botkins (Geoff, Isaac and Elizabeth), and Joshua Phillips sporting a full-on beard. No luck spotting Dougie, but maybe some eagle-eyed fellow FJ-ers will do better than I.

allixrubyphotography.com/2015/01/in-which-intern-married-his-mentors.html

allixruby seems to have become the go-to wedding photographer for fundie royalty. She did Jasmine Baucham Holmes' wedding as well.

Take that, Christopher Maxwell!

Also relieved there's so far no pregnancy! Live a little, kids.

Random thoughts in no particular order:

If a Phillips sees a camera, can he keep himself from over-emoting?

If you can take 5,000 photos of a bride & groom in one setting, should you?

Can theonomists get any less subtle about male dominance? "Arrival Of The Groom And Bride," indeed!

Who was the third wedding officiant, after Spanky Sproul and Manly Voiced Marcus?

Seemed like a smaller crowd than was there for Rebecca & Steven's wedding -- excuse me, Steven & Rebecca's wedding. Did the Phillips scandal have an effect, one wonders?

Does Pa Thomas ever not look terrifying? Does Jordan ever not get in a significant shot? Never mind...

Note to Pointy Headed Pennington: THAT's how you do shabby chic - a little goes a long way.

Finally, is it time for me to just die and see what Adventure awaits? I ask because it seems all the effort we 1970's feminists put into convincing people that the proper terminology for adults is "man & woman" has been for naught -- now females of all ages again are "girls," and the males remain "men."

Conspicuous by their absence: James & Stacy Mcdonald?

Finally finally, way better photos than I Have Criteria You Must Meet Christopher will ever ever ever be able to take

the photography link just brings me to a go daddy site

Weird! Try going through her FB page, she links to her site there: facebook.com/allixrubyphotography

the photography link just brings me to a go daddy site

Same thing happened for me. I simplty googled allixruby photography and it took me to the home page. IIRC Sarah & Cody's - excuse me, Cody & Sarah's photographs - are linked right on that page.

Speaking of pregnancy... Cody announced they are expecting on his instagram.

instagram.com/p/yqdfo0nyvw/

Oy - timing! I swear, I didn't know this when I posted the wedding pics link last night. Well, so much for living a little first...it's all about the making of the baybeez... :pink-shock:

Oy - timing! I swear, I didn't know this when I posted the wedding pics link last night. Well, so much for living a little first...it's all about the making of the baybeez... :pink-shock:

Yikes. Reproducing already. To be expected I suppose. :shrug:

But my first thought when quickly scrolling through the photos was how young the bride and groom looked. How old are they anyway?

I didn't spot anyone not already mentioned.

I have a new rule for myself: try never to snark on wedding receptions especially frugal ones. So, with that in mind, a very pretty wedding. Christopher Maxwell should take tips from the photographer.

Except (I did say try) what was that centerpiece thing with baguettes and tree branches sticking out of a jar of grain at odd angles and a tin can filled with flowers next to it?

Genuine question not snark: Have tie clips (bars) come back into fashion? In my day they were thought incredibly naff. They would certainly never be worn with a three piece suit. Holy redundancy.

You need to add the www before the url for it to work- I also had that problem.

And yeah, the floppy baguette centerpiece just looked... phallic. Nothing says good luck with your sex life and fertility like a bouquet of flaccid dicks at the wedding.

Archived