IGNORED

Steve Maxwell throws his dad Paul Bargar under the bus

SPHASH

They just put up a new post about their "Energize!" conference tour and their flyer pictures.

Today Children: Tomorrow Leaders

How to Have an Awesome Day (for moms)

Supersonic Leadership: Is Everyone Strapped In? (for dads)

Dating, Courtship, Dorting, Betrothal, or Whatever

I wanna dort :cray-cray: whatever the hell it is.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the case of JB, I find it even more disgusting. JB used his father as a prop on his TV show (and I don't think his father was in any place to be able to resist at that point) and then had the gall to piss all over his reputation once he had died. On a television show no less.

I didn't watch the show for most of it, so missed this. Details, please?

Re: new Energize post

They apparently didn't have time to get a family photo done for the flyers or whatever for the first upcoming conference. They, who are together 24/7 and have a 'professional' photographer in the (extended) family who lives a couple of houses down, couldn't get a family pic done. Uh, ookay.

At least the girls are wearing matching skirts in the picture. 'Cause you know, otherwise we might not know they are sisters.

OT, but my parents' names are Dave & Liz. Whenever they mention those friends by name, I find it odd:)

Mirele, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Hugs.

Actually, some ppl who have been to their seminars/infomercials say he _is_ charming in a way or, at least, that he has the potential and could be charming if he dropped the spiel about being responsible for your children's eternal reward.

Anyway,he doesn't need to be charming to be a cult leader. He didn't need to attract anyone, they all entered the cult as infants.

With respect, from personal experience, I don't know about "charming." I'm really not sure anyone has called Steve that. Just less fanatical than we expected (and not obviously barking mad) at first meeting. I know that when Mr. P and I made a fleeting visit to the "Inspire" conference we reported back along the lines of - in the initial meet and greet he was surprisingly couth (as opposed to uncouth) and ept (as opposed to inept) socially. Even then, distinctly dismissive of the little woman (me) and focused on the man (Mr.P.) No surprise.

Mr. P. reported clearly a year ago that the fanatic (no charm whatsoever) came out in Stevo's talk for men. I think Mr. P. is the only FJ-related person to have infiltrated that talk. He asked to leave after that session (and we did by previous agreement) because he felt a desire either to punch Steve on the nose or puke his guts out. It was that bad.

I still wonder about the fall-out from that session and how many were already "in the cult from infants." I'd be surprised if that were true in New Hampshire, although the attendees were obviously Fundie. I have noted that Steve was not invited back this year by that group ... yet!

And I have to say that I am tired of making excuses for Steve Maxwell's control problem. We've discussed at length whether Steve's experiences in Vietnam made him this sick and controlling. Now we are kind enough to debate whether he is this way because his Dad may have been less than perfect. And Steve just threw his dad very competently under the bus.

Steve Maxwell is a very nasty bit of work who may have had some bad experiences that may explain partially - but do not excuse by any means completely - his total dysfunction and slow, sure, evil suffocation of his family.

I recognize where they took those photos! They are on campus of a Catholic university. I wonder if they needed extra prayer time to cleanse themselves of their proximity to papists.

â—¦Dating, Courtship, Dorting, Betrothal, or Whatever

Why would anyone want to listen to the Maxwell's speak on this? They are so unsuccessful in this area. Only 2 sons married, 2 broken engagements, a 32yo "spinster" daughter living at home, 5 7/8th "adult children" living at home. (Mary will be 18 in August.) :?

I guess "Energize" is their attempt and humor and being relevant. They only have 3 dates scheduled now. :shrug:

Mirele, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Hugs.

With respect, from personal experience, I don't know about "charming." I'm really not sure anyone has called Steve that. Just less fanatical than we expected (and not obviously barking mad) at first meeting. I know that when Mr. P and I made a fleeting visit to the "Inspire" conference we reported back along the lines of - in the initial meet and greet he was surprisingly couth (as opposed to uncouth) and ept (as opposed to inept) socially. Even then, distinctly dismissive of the little woman (me) and focused on the man (Mr.P.) No surprise.

Mr. P. reported clearly a year ago that the fanatic (no charm whatsoever) came out in Stevo's talk for men. I think Mr. P. is the only FJ-related person to have infiltrated that talk. He asked to leave after that session (and we did by previous agreement) because he felt a desire either to punch Steve on the nose or puke his guts out. It was that bad.

I still wonder about the fall-out from that session and how many were already "in the cult from infants." I'd be surprised if that were true in New Hampshire, although the attendees were obviously Fundie. I have noted that Steve was not invited back this year by that group ... yet!

And I have to say that I am tired of making excuses for Steve Maxwell's control problem. We've discussed at length whether Steve's experiences in Vietnam made him this sick and controlling. Now we are kind enough to debate whether he is this way because his Dad may have been less than perfect. And Steve just threw his dad very competently under the bus.

Steve Maxwell is a very nasty bit of work who may have had some bad experiences that may explain partially - but do not excuse by any means completely - his total dysfunction and slow, sure, evil suffocation of his family.

Out of curiosity, did your husband mention any of what Steve said in his talk? I would be very interested to know some of the specifics.

Out of curiosity, did your husband mention any of what Steve said in his talk? I would be very interested to know some of the specifics.

Oh, yes! Actually, Mr. P and I practically wrote a dissertation on the subject. :cracking-up:

Well, not really that funny. Our exposure to Maxhell was upsetting and we needed to write it out. It took me a few minutes to find the thread.

The several part really l-o-n-g "Reports from Greenfield" start at the bottom of this page viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17324&start=380

Mr. P's take is Part 3, I think. If you read the thread a lot of others chimed in with their own experiences of Maxhell and there are links to other first-hand reports by Fjers.

â—¦Dating, Courtship, Dorting, Betrothal, or Whatever

Why would anyone want to listen to the Maxwell's speak on this? They are so unsuccessful in this area. Only 2 sons married, 2 broken engagements, a 32yo "spinster" daughter living at home, 5 7/8th "adult children" living at home. (Mary will be 18 in August.) :?

I guess "Energize" is their attempt and humor and being relevant. They only have 3 dates scheduled now. :shrug:

I feel the same way about the "Today Children, Tomorrow Leaders" topic. How on earth can they argue that their children are leaders? Their 32-year-old daughter still lives at home under their authority, and their sons all have taken various jobs that are connected to the family business. And none of their ventures have been spectacularly impressive or successful. Not one of the seven adult children has served in the military, managed employees, or even moved away.

They really are limiting themselves in their potential customers, since only the most super fundies would consider the Maxwell kids "leaders."

It seems that their lives more outline their failures than their successes. They must have to pray that their audiences don't see the glaring discrepancies in what they do vs what they claim.

I don't think anyone is making excuses for Steve by a long shot. It can be interesting to try and figure out why a serial killer became a serial killer, but that doesn't mean one is then going to give them a pass on it.

In other news, that pose of Mary's is dangerously close to that of a catalog model. Poor girl would have been so happy to grow up in a normal Christian family.

In other Maxwell news and from the latest Seriously Dads email its...

Bondage

It talks about how Stevie was stationed in Thailand and how he used to smoke cigarettes and made an idol of them which made him a prisoner to them. It's all starting to come out of the wood work, eh Stevie?

What with Bondage and yesterdays blog post with "â—¦Supersonic Leadership: Is Everyone Strapped In? (for dads)" an S&M theme seems apparent.

Love the comment bellow which must be a FJer:

Chris says:

June 25, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Just think, some people have to pay big $$$ to get the wind blown look!! Sounds like a great new conference, who couldn’t use some energizing????

Safe travels to Loveland…and I miss your more frequent posting, but I know, you are alll BUSY!!!!

Blessings

>>>>>>>>>

You are right about being busy. Sarah on the new Moody book and Steve and Teri on Energize. Boys have had a lot of work. :lol:

My comment from Mel C complimented them on the contrast between the behind the scenes pictures and the staged photos and wished they could bring energise to my lovely church in Bellend. :wink-penguin: It didn't get through, nor did he edit it.

nausicaa25 said:

I feel the same way about the "Today Children, Tomorrow Leaders" topic.

I guess Steve didn't think through the idea that using the phrasing "Today ______, tomorrow______" might make people think of Hitler.

Or maybe that's the image he's going for. :shock:

The description of that session:

Homeschoolers have the most incredible opportunities to architect the qualities, skills, and experience of their children’s lives. Today many businesses consider a “resume†to be one’s accomplishments. Are you preparing your children to be tomorrow’s leaders in their homes and in the world? Be energized as a family through this powerful session!

I don't think anyone has verbed that particular noun before. Steve is architecting -- are you? :roll:

If someone forced me to go to this event, I'd want to say "Energize!" too, as in:

image.png.680e64e040b1426ef8c0dcd253454b65.png

Iv25FNA.jpg

I don't think anyone is making excuses for Steve by a long shot. It can be interesting to try and figure out why a serial killer became a serial killer, but that doesn't mean one is then going to give them a pass on it.

In other news, that pose of Mary's is dangerously close to that of a catalog model. Poor girl would have been so happy to grow up in a normal Christian family.

I think the extreme views and lifestyle plus the fact it's a complete 180 from their previous life almost begs the question of "what the hell went wrong here?" I don't really see anyone trying to make excuses for what he's doing (especially to his family) but more trying to understand what happened to Steve that made him go down the rabbithole. But I don't think we will ever know but have to admit it's intriguing.

:oops: Sorry, I can see how what I wrote could be misconstrued, but I was actually musing to myself -- not saying other people were making excuses. See the bolded? First person.

To clarify, I think that I've wasted too much time wondering about mitigating factors with Steve when, chances are, he's always been a controlling asshole! I've given up on him. Please continue dissecting his sorry butt! :mrgreen:

So now Steve admits to smoking in Thailand? Naughty Steve. I'me waiting for him to come clean about the sex workers he, um, knew.

Oh, my! On the Energize! schedule they have put in an hour for questions -- the Family to Family session at the end.

Please excuse me while I faint dead away! The Maxwells are going to be interactive? That's a first!

I'd be willing to bet that in practice every family will have to take a number -- and only the Dads will be able to ask questions.

And good one, Thoughtful! But I was imagining Steve as an Energizer bunny. :mrgreen:

Questions must be submitted in writing in advance?

I thought they had done a Q&A before and it was written questions so Steve could sort through them.

Yeah, they have done a "family panel discussion" before. They have people write questions on paper beforehand so they can pick the ones they want to answer. Everything is scripted with them.

Questions must be submitted in writing in advance?

I thought they had done a Q&A before and it was written questions so Steve could sort through them.

You are quite correct and I can pick my swooning self off the floor. I just checked the Inspire! schedule and they ended that with an optional family panel discussion too. Oh to be a fly on the wall to see whether Steve manages to actually listen to others. But that is one of perfect Steve's self-identified strengths, you know.

Palimpsest said:
Oh, my! On the Energize! schedule they have put in an hour for questions -- the Family to Family session at the end.

Please excuse me while I faint dead away! The Maxwells are going to be interactive? That's a first!

I'd be willing to bet that in practice every family will have to take a number -- and only the Dads will be able to ask questions.

I bet you are right -- it will probably be very structured. Perhaps with questions that must be submitted on a card beforehand, so that Steve can weed out those that don't please him.

Palimpsest said:

And good one, Thoughtful! But I was imagining Steve as an Energizer bunny. :mrgreen:

I had that thought, too, but went with the Enterprise. However, there's no reason I can't do both!

I tend to see the poor bunny as someone Steve expects to be energized by his wonderful inspiration, :roll: rather than Steve himself. Anyone in his life who has boundless energy would be expected to waste it on Steve-approved minutiae:

5uGqHba.jpg

Could be Steve himself, though -- he is pretty relentless.

image.png.5a63dd37d1832e57c3c5213d947b353c.png

Ci7q08x.jpg

ETA -- I shouldn't have ignored the "posts have been made" message -- crossposted about the written questions.

Ci7q08x.jpg

BANG!

BANG!

BANG!

BANG!

/dying of laughter here :worship: :worship: :worship:

also waking the kids up from their naps. :lol:

The way they've done it in the past, and made no secret of, is they collect questions throughout. Then in a lag time, they vet them and pick and choose which ones will be read - by them - and answered. It's not interactive and it's not spontaneous. We know how Stevie likes to alter things. There is no guarantee that the questions they read out loud are the actual questions they've received. Control. Complete control. That's how daddy Steve rolls.

Anouncing a new conference and sessions including

Dating, Courtship, Dorting, Betrothal, or Whatever

WTF is DORTING?

Can someone capture a screenshot before it disappears?

Archived