IGNORED

Steve Maxwell throws his dad Paul Bargar under the bus

SPHASH

His latest Seriously article is up. He talks about how his dad didn't spend enough time with his family. I'm assuming he is talking about his biological dad Paul as this is the bible verse justifying his comments-But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof†(Romans 13:14).

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why would he italicize fulfil and thereof in that verse? (instead of lusts, which makes more sense imho)

and while i'm being a nitpicker :lol: he could have easily given a couple of encouraging tips like:

'have a Bible verse memory-a-thon while your sons are helping you change the oil on the cars!'

or, 'when Bible time as a family gets routine, discuss a classic movie together from a Christian perspective.'

you know, things that fundie dads would be encouraged by if their schedules are tight, instead of feeling judged that they don't make time for godly things. :angry-banghead:

Lots of dads don't spend enough time with their families. Could they do better? Sure. But can't everyone? And this doesn't make his dad a bad person. Steve sees everything in black and white. He just can't wrap it around his head that although his dad may have had some poor parenting qualities, it doesn't mean he was an abuser. Steve would do well to remember the things about his bio dad that were good and forgive him for the rest. It's not healthy to live with the kind of resentment that Steve harbors.

So, to compensate for his father's alleged neglect, Steve simply every moment with his kids, doesn't allow them other friends, so far no spouses for any of the girls, barely expands the nest for the boys when they marry.

So-- was Steve molested or abused in someway by a coach or something when he was a kid and he blames his dad for not being there to protect him--hence the fear of sleepovers, tv, sports, being out of the sight of your parents at any age, etc? Because, honestly... it is pretty freaking weird, then the "daddy never had time for me." Post. I wonder if when he dies his kids will say "dad smothered me" .

why would he italicize fulfil and thereof in that verse? (instead of lusts, which makes more sense imho)

and while i'm being a nitpicker :lol: he could have easily given a couple of encouraging tips like:

'have a Bible verse memory-a-thon while your sons are helping you change the oil on the cars!'

or, 'when Bible time as a family gets routine, discuss a classic movie together from a Christian perspective.'

you know, things that dads would be encouraged by if their schedules are tight, instead of feeling judged that they don't make time for godly things. :angry-banghead:

The italicising has to do with the bible translation he's quoting. The kjv is a word for word translation (as opposed to a thought for thought translation) but some words simply don't have direct equivalents I English. Those words are italicised in the KJV.

Lots of dads don't spend enough time with their families. Could they do better? Sure. But can't everyone? And this doesn't make his dad a bad person. Steve sees everything in black and white. He just can't wrap it around his head that although his dad may have had some poor parenting qualities, it doesn't mean he was an abuser. Steve would do well to remember the things about his bio dad that were good and forgive him for the rest. It's not healthy to live with the kind of resentment that Steve harbors.

Agree!!

So, to compensate for his father's alleged neglect, Steve simply every moment with his kids, doesn't allow them other friends, so far no spouses for any of the girls, barely expands the nest for the boys when they marry.

So-- was Steve molested or abused in someway by a coach or something when he was a kid and he blames his dad for not being there to protect him--hence the fear of sleepovers, tv, sports, being out of the sight of your parents at any age, etc? Because, honestly... it is pretty freaking weird, then the "daddy never had time for me." Post. I wonder if when he dies his kids will say "dad smothered me" .

Interesting I never considered what u said as a reason why Steve is the way he is.

I would only hope his kids would say that he smothered them. But I don't think that will happen.

Steve's gets daily energy from making his parents wrong. Growing up he had no control over others behavior. By golly that wasn't going to happen again! The completely in charge patriarchal father/husband/answer only to God life style is a perfect fit for his emotional neediness.

The italicising has to do with the bible translation he's quoting. The kjv is a word for word translation (as opposed to a thought for thought translation) but some words simply don't have direct equivalents I English. Those words are italicised in the KJV.

Thanks for the explanation! I thought he was trying to some random point. :lol:

His latest Seriously article is up. He talks about how his dad didn't spend enough time with his family. I'm assuming he is talking about his biological dad Paul as this is the bible verse justifying his comments-But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof†(Romans 13:14).

Off to the prayer closet SPHASH, the bus has a name... Uriah

Every time Stevie's email comes into my inbox - it does make me jump!

A few 'IF ONLY ...' ago I had had a few glasses of grape juice and replied to him. He replied asking if I could send a picture of myself!!1! so he knew who he was corresponding with.

No back rubs here Stevie! :penguin-no:

A few 'IF ONLY ...' ago I had had a few glasses of grape juice and replied to him. He replied asking if I could send a picture of myself!!1! so he knew who he was corresponding with.

He asked for a picture!! :pink-shock: Oh, that is sleezy. :disgust:

You should have sent one. Not naked, but defrauding enough to put off Stevie, like showing cleavage or knees or something.

I would have forwarded that email to Teri.

Since when did Stevehovah start asking for pictures from his followers? :evil-eye: I thought that only Ken Alexander was interested in that kind of thing. What a creeper, I wonder if Teri knows about this.

Steve is just mailing in the hate at this point isn't he? He just slammed his father in one sentence then embellished that with a Bible verse and admonishment for other parents and called it a post. No other examples. No ideas on how to do better. No other Bible verses (I don't know if there are other applicable Bible verses but the Bible is so much metaphor and allegory that surely Steve could find others).

I wonder if something is wrong? Like maybe, and just maybe, even though he disproved of his father's methods, Steve is a bit sad at the way things turned out.

I have pondered the same thing. Steve is beyond fucked up.

It seems fairly common for the first generation fundies who come from dysfunctional families to fall down the rabbit hole as they are looking for structure and stability. Steve is looking to control all things, and to make sure there is no way his children could ever be soiled. My armchair psychology studies tell me that people like that aren't born that way - things happen to them that make them that way.

Most parents realize they have to let their children go at some point, and even for those who have a hard time with this concept the children eventually do break free and create their own lives to a greater or lesser degree. But Steve somehow has been able to hold hostage his 8 children. Did Steve have something awful happen to him and use it as a lesson to his children?

When I saw that latest Stevie blurb come into my inbox, the first thing I thought after reading it was that Steve doesn't forgive people. I thought about that for a long time. Steve imposes his beliefs on everyone he meets but is he a forgiving man? Nope. And isn't that one of the Christian man's strongest tenets -- to forgive? When has he ever shown forgiveness toward anyone? Maybe he has, but he just doesn't write about it. Which is too bad. It would make him seem less of a dick.

Steve is a 60-year old man dissing his dead father in public.

Methinks that baby Jesus is wailing right now.

when I go to "articles" and "corners" on the website only Teri's articles show up for me. I can get Steve's by following the link that was posted; however, his don't show up on the website for me. Strange.

I have pondered the same thing. Steve is beyond fucked up.

It seems fairly common for the first generation fundies who come from dysfunctional families to fall down the rabbit hole as they are looking for structure and stability. Steve is looking to control all things, and to make sure there is no way his children could ever be soiled. My armchair psychology studies tell me that people like that aren't born that way - things happen to them that make them that way.

Most parents realize they have to let their children go at some point, and even for those who have a hard time with this concept the children eventually do break free and create their own lives to a greater or lesser degree. But Steve somehow has been able to hold hostage his 8 children. Did Steve have something awful happen to him and use it as a lesson to his children?

I am thinking something had to have happened to him. As someone whose parents had a very, very hard hard time with letting go and were overly controlling, I really have to wonder the kind of mindf**k those kids are experiencing that none of them have completely broken free. The married two are still very involved. I know from my experience it was the fear of being the "bad kid" and inculcating far, far too much obedience in us, but still that didn't work entirely. Not on all of us and we were 3 kids. That this is going on with 8 of them is beyond remarkable. I would think even the dad = God and to not obey = going to hell workview he pushes, well, with 8 kids, odds are it wouldn't work on at least one of them.

ETA: Even some of Fred Phelps kids managed to escape the crazy.

Steve is a 60-year old man dissing his dead father in public.

Methinks that baby Jesus is wailing right now.

Really, I gotta wonder what is to be gained by saying these things about his dad. For one thing, his dad is gone and is unable to respond to it. Whatever the issues were, saying something negative things in public about a person after a person is gone is really not right and frankly rather cowardly. It's not like dad was a public individual whose decisions / policies (thinking Maggie Thatcher here) influenced bigger events and the public at large so it may be fair to debate / review / criticize the legacy as a public person. For a private person, however, not cool. Find yourself sympathetic friends or a counselor if necessary to talk about or work out the lingering issues.

Steve Maxwell continues to be a class act, I see.

Archived