IGNORED

Graduating to Life as Usual

Encouragement for the Girl Stepping into Stay-at-Home Daughterhood

(Guest post on Raising Homemakers today)

raisinghomemakers.com/2014/encouragement-for-the-girl-stepping-into-stay-at-home-daughterhood/

You can expect to be discouraged- you aren’t going to get the approval from most.You will question whether or not you have made the right decision. You will shed some tears because you feel like you can’t fit in. But don’t give up. God has called you to this role- a daughter, sister, and homemaker-in-training. It is so worth it- we are not working for temporal, worldly success,ewards[sic], or applause. We are seeking to serve and please our Living Savior....

Your role and job as a daughter is of utmost importance. Sarah Bryant, in “The Family Daughterâ€, writes, “If we are to be our family’s strength and pillar, we must be present.... we can help make our family’s abode a lovely place of refuge.â€

unless you're a younger daughter and not needed so much, then you can go get a job and learn some marketable skills. :lol:

It seems that the fundies can't get their story straight. Is it that women naturally prefer and want to be mothers and wives and homemakers, or do they need to be taught to love their husbands and children?

The few who have chosen this path will be blessed indeed. They will gain things that they never knew they wanted or even needed. They will learn things they never thought they would or even could learn. They will grow in tremendous ways. They will experience something that very few experience….. because they are one of the few.

What are these things they never thought they would or could learn related to homemaking? What mysterious ways of homekeeping do these fundies have?

It seems to me that the Stay At Home Daughter is the protestant fundamentalist equivalent of a Catholic Nun. It's a similar lifestyle if you think about it. Except the SAHD's can marry at some point, if the right Prince Charming shows up and asks for Daddy's permission. But the chances of that happening get slimmer with each year that the SAHD stays away from the world.

It seems to me that the Stay At Home Daughter is the protestant fundamentalist equivalent of a Catholic Nun. It's a similar lifestyle if you think about it. Except the SAHD's can marry at some point, if the right Prince Charming shows up and asks for Daddy's permission. But the chances of that happening get slimmer with each year that the SAHD stays away from the world.

The catholic nun will have a community life, a social reconnaissance, an intelectuel training, etc... I don't think the SAHD will have this :/

The catholic sisters who taught me were all educated women.

Some Catholic sisters work in social services or nursing.

Unless you meant cloistered nuns?

Otherwise, I don't see how they are similar to SAHDs.

My mother was a nun for 12 years and had 2 masters degrees and taught MEN at the university level, so I'm going to say the nuns (most) would think the SAHD mindset thoroughly fucked.

God, that sounds so fucking depressing. It makes my existence seem not so bleak. I'm a SAHD...sort of. I live in what I would consider a fundie-lite Muslim household, currently out of school, but working on getting back. Being an introvert, I constantly fight to be left alone. At least I work outside the home and have books, Netflix, and hulu plus for downtime. And aside from looking after my nephew occasionally, I'm not raising any younger siblings.

One thing about the Catholics: they recognize that very few women and men are called to the cloistered life. Most men and women religious are in active communities.

Archived