IGNORED

Where's Sparkling Lauren?

She can call one of them Mung Bean Whippet Snorkel for all I care if the kid wants it and is happy with it.

I think the point is not that Sparkles has shown that in her world names are fluid. More that some are asking why she doesn't stick to one name for Lana/Delaney. She is generally consistent after a name change - she never uses Aicha or Stephanie - and given that she acquiesced quite publicly to Delaney's request to be called Lana why the flip flopping between the two?

Unless it's because Lana requested this herself and the Aicha/Stephanie to Aisha/Brioni were Lauren's idea, in which case screw you Lana, you don't get to keep your name because I didn't choose it for you.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'll say again that "sometimes, a nickname is just a nickname."

Seriously, we've seen Lauren be immature, flaky, and in some cases truly inappropriate when it comes to her kids. Sometimes I feel like we have a whole different set of snark standards for someone once we've decided they're snarkworthy. Imagine if someone you respected named their daughter Elizabeth, and at age 4 the moppet said she wanted to be called Betsy. Would we really be fussing over whether Mom "flip-flops" between calling her Betsy and calling her Elizabeth? Especially in writing for other adults as opposed to when addressing the child directly?

I get that everything Lauren does can seem over-the-top but to me this one just doesn't weigh out objectively as anything bad.

Well, I'll say again that "sometimes, a nickname is just a nickname."

Seriously, we've seen Lauren be immature, flaky, and in some cases truly inappropriate when it comes to her kids. Sometimes I feel like we have a whole different set of snark standards for someone once we've decided they're snarkworthy. Imagine if someone you respected named their daughter Elizabeth, and at age 4 the moppet said she wanted to be called Betsy. Would we really be fussing over whether Mom "flip-flops" between calling her Betsy and calling her Elizabeth? Especially in writing for other adults as opposed to when addressing the child directly?

I get that everything Lauren does can seem over-the-top but to me this one just doesn't weigh out objectively as anything bad.

This.

I stopped going by a particular nickname when I was 8. 16 years later, my sisters still haven't got the message :D

Taken in conjunction with Lauren's other name changes, maybe there's something more to the Delaney/Lana thing, but on its own it really just reads like a mother having to consciously remind herself that her daughter wants to go by something different, which I think is pretty normal when a kid changes the name they go by.

If not sticking to one name was the worst thing she ever did to these kids I think we'd all be singing her praises. As it is, it's just one more bit of evidence that she is a narcissist and the girls are plaything to be used and manipulated as she sees fit.

She's like an anthropologist immersing herself in some just-discovered tribe rather than their mum.

Every time she posts gets more sanctimonious. The kids can't even be kids without her nuancing everything as some sort of sparkly revelation. I'm just surprised the girls haven't gone full Lord of the Flies on her yet.

I think that changing Delaney's name was simply too much hassle https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/changing-your-name/changing-your-childs-name-before-they-turn-18/

She needs David's agreement, a whole bunch of paperwork and a good reason beyond 'my four year old said so'. Thankfully my parents never changed my name when I started calling myself Hunka Munka, though apparently I did introduce myself to a bishop with that name.

I think that changing Delaney's name was simply too much hassle https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/changing-your-name/changing-your-childs-name-before-they-turn-18/

She needs David's agreement, a whole bunch of paperwork and a good reason beyond 'my four year old said so'. Thankfully my parents never changed my name when I started calling myself Hunka Munka, though apparently I did introduce myself to a bishop with that name.

:lol: I love that!

She's going back and forth between Delaney and Lana. I wonder what's up with that.

I've called one of my kids a diminuitive since birth, but lately they asked to go by their full name. I have difficulty with it (it's a nice name, I'd just envisioned the transition taking place closer to adulthood).

Sweet Jesus she's having a fucking "gayby." Did she really call it that??? Not surprised at all but still horrified.

Archived