IGNORED

Where's Sparkling Lauren?

It is a creepy picture, and with it is the announcement that her aunt died. :?

Only Lauren could be insensitive enough to post a picture of a distressed elderly lady who is clearly very ill, perhaps even dying. Did she ask for permission? I doubt it. Did she consider what her aunt's feelings might be (even if her Aunt was incapable of expressing them)? Almost certainly not.

Her narcissism knows no bounds . . .

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only Lauren could be insensitive enough to post a picture of a distressed elderly lady who is clearly very ill, perhaps even dying. Did she ask for permission? I doubt it. Did she consider what her aunt's feelings might be (even if her Aunt was incapable of expressing them)? Almost certainly not.

Her narcissism knows no bounds . . .

Do you think she took the picture herself making sure her hand was in it, or another person. Such a strange pic!

More blog posts today. Poor Callista is being teased for her hair. If only there was some middle ground between conformist and neglected... :?

More blog posts today. Poor Callista is being teased for her hair. If only there was some middle ground between conformist and neglected... :?

... and Lauren making it all about her.

An 8 year old chips her 6 year old sister's hair as short as a chemotherapy patient is NOT a cute pixie cut. It's an act of aggression and bullying and developmentally inappropriate for an 8 year old.

With this freak if course the answer is to quit talking about how people perceive the neglect in Calista's hair rather than try being a decent mother and care for her poor children. That self image that young will have lifetime implications for that poor child.

Do you not have detangler spray in Australia??? I have a 7 year old with hair nearly to her butt. I have a rule that is she wants her hair that long, she must let me brush it. She hates having it brushed, so we use lots of set angler spray and she is fine. Plus, she has a massive collection of gorgeous hair bows that she gets to use in her brushed hair so it's worth the pay-off to her. Cause you know, that's what an even slightly competent mother DOES. You just SUCK, Lauren.

Yeah, I agree, 8 is too old to cut her sister's hair off. I would generally expect under fives to do that.

An 8 year old chips her 6 year old sister's hair as short as a chemotherapy patient is NOT a cute pixie cut. It's an act of aggression and bullying and developmentally inappropriate for an 8 year old.

With this freak if course the answer is to quit talking about how people perceive the neglect in Calista's hair rather than try being a decent mother and care for her poor children. That self image that young will have lifetime implications for that poor child.

Do you not have detangler spray in Australia??? I have a 7 year old with hair nearly to her butt. I have a rule that is she wants her hair that long, she must let me brush it. She hates having it brushed, so we use lots of set angler spray and she is fine. Plus, she has a massive collection of gorgeous hair bows that she gets to use in her brushed hair so it's worth the pay-off to her. Cause you know, that's what an even slightly competent mother DOES. You just SUCK, Lauren.

Yeah, I noticed the shortness of the hair cut too. Not that I expect that an eight year old would be able to give a perfect bob, but it doesn't look like the girls were trying to give her hair a trim and things got out of control. It more resembled someone being pinned down and having their hair hacked off against her will. The scissors being so close to Callista's scalp makes it seem very angry.

Also, I love how multiple people have to give Lauren a head's up about the haircut. Cause, you know, she wouldn't be supervising her daughters enough to have any idea.

At least one commenter is calling her on her bullshit.

I don’t think you have done anything wrong – I see you as encouraging neater hair is a gift- You remind me of my own mother and I also had feral hair as a kid- The teasing and the pressure not to let that matter did more damage to me then conforming. I stuck to my unconventional guns in order to impress my mother until I was 18 and left home for Uni.

making kids feel pressure not to conform, to not care is actually another form of pressure – don’t grief for your Dr’s new knowedge of public oppinion – just get her a nice hair cut and accept this matters to her.

You care about appearance – hence the dreads and clothes to signal your alternative bent on life- That is ok but remember it is just another way to conform- to “hippy” society. Our appearance is important – it is an outward reflection of who we are. Maybe your little girl who is older now and does not want stares, does not want pressure to be “ unconventional”. Feeling different to the rest of the world is a burden you don’t have to heap on your child. By all means travel, life your exciting life but don’t pressure your kids to feel they have to stand out like sore thumbs to be accepted by you.

At least one commenter is calling her on her bullshit.

That commenter certainly has it right. So basically what I got from that post is that her 6 year old daughter struggled with keeping her hair brushed, so they decided to do dreds, she struggled with those, the older daughter chopped off all her little sisters hair --- likely because she was frustrated by how it looked or kids were teasing--- the little girl got teased, and her mothers main take-away was that she shouldn't nag her daughter to brush her hair :shock: :angry-banghead: WTF. How about feeling sad that her daughter was teased, sure feel angry that other little girls can be cruel -- but wouldn't any mother then decide to make more of an effort to just brush /style her daughters hair? It's not like it's caving to peer pressure to have an expensive pair of shoes, it's just basic grooming for heavens sake. It's like she takes every possible opportunity to become even more neglectful.

Vex -- How long is the average life span of these kinds of rats?

Her children don't seem old enough to be responsible for caring for animals, period (especially at the time the rats were obtained) and Lauren has enough on her plate, anyway - this seemed like a bad idea from the start. I do know that rats are wonderful pets, however!

The average lifespan would be about two and a half years. However, I am very familiar with the breeder they purchased their rats from and they're extremely healthy and hardy so I would expect them to perhaps even make 3 years. Rats don't die under a year old unless there is serious neglect, injury or health issues.

The only reason I can think of the rat dying so young (where they would be relatively blameless) is if it came down with a certain strain of pneumonia that kills in 12-24 hours. It's more likely the poor thing was somehow injured.

You know, I think I might contact the breeder and let her know what's going on with Lauren and let her know she should never, ever sell her rats again.

When my daughter was little, she hated having her hair brushed. I told her she had two choices-let me brush it, or cut it short. She opted to cut it short, so we went to the salon and she got a cute pixie cut. Now that she is able to care for her own hair, she has grown it out to almost waist length. You can have short hair on a little girl look stylish and well kept. If Calista is unable to keep her hair neat, perhaps a short style is a good option, but she doesn't have to look so awful.

I was puzzled by the "dreadlocks will solve everything" approach until I reminded myself it was Lauren. Good dreadlocks take maintenance and are really impractical for little kids. (My son had them for a couple of years but finally ditched them because he got sick of the care needed.) Of course, Lauren just wants something that is alternate/speshul.

As for the haircut, I was wondering whether Callista actually asked her sister to cut her hair. If it was long and pulling or she was being teased, I would expect her to go to her sister rather than Lauren for help. Eight year old trying to cut hair? "Oh, it's not even - I'll just take a bit more off." We've seen the results of that more than once at school. (A normal eight year old should be passed this but Lauren's kids can not be judged by normal standards with their upbringing.)

I don't know if I find the hair thing amongst the kids that strange. Lauren's attitude about it -- bizarre, overly philosophical, the usual.

I think I drove my mother crazy about my hair as a child. It was fine and unruly and that wasn't even the half of it. I was very into experimenting with it (normal upbringing and all). I cut off locks of and dangled them in various peroxide or lemon juice solutions to determine how I could change it, I dyed with kool aid, my hairdresser once accidentally dyed it a coral-pink color and I didn't have non-pink hair for years after that. I feathered it with a razor by myself (which terrified her) and I was known to cut it at a whim (asymmetrical, bobs, whatever I felt like). I am still this way but now that I'm 21 years old it can't reflect poorly on her and all the years of messing around have given me some above-average skill that lets me get the haircut I want. Most notably, me and my best friend in 3rd grade (about age 8) decided that we didn't want bangs anymore so we just tried to cut them off. It clearly didn't work (it just makes a big tuft in the front and looks absurd.)

Of course, unlike Lauren, my mother didn't just like let me walk around with tangles and such. As I got older, her policy was, 'You can do want you want to your body, that's fine, but if I don't approve of it it comes out of your spending money." So natural hair dye colors and normal hair cuts were free but I paid for all my own bleaching and pink dyes.

It seems like maybe the hair cut happened *while* her hair was still in the elastic dreads which would explain why Brioni had to cut so close (as opposed to removing the elastics).

Even if Lauren wants to be non traditional, she could do a lot of fun thing with her girls hair that would be safe and maybe a good trade off for brushing. (One thing that comes to mind is non-chemical dyes, like beet juice and koolaid. Fun, non-toxic, and they stain rather than reacting with hair so it doesn't burn or damage soft baby hair). Dreadlocks are certainly easy for a child to keep up alone.

All that said, if Calista wants to cover her head now, there are some really beautiful options for head coverings that would be super cute and maybe make her feel better. I tend not to cover my head in public because it spurs up questions about religion/disease, but at home it makes me feel super comfy. I am also surprised that Lauren didn't brand brushing hair as a family time grooming/bonding experience. That much of a hippy, I think she would be all about teaching her girls that gentle grooming of others (with detangler!) is a common expression of love and affection. You see it between parent and child and heck, I even used to sit on the sink and shave my boyfriends beard for him while he stood there. That celebration of tiny acts of human affection seems like it would be right up her alley and a good way to get Calista happy.

All the comments on the hair post are really good, actually!

I find it interesting that she posts about Hellena's fertility-closing ceremony and Hellena herself appears to not have written anything about it. I hope she asked Hellena whether she can post pictures of this - private and lovely looking - ceremony.

I've had a couple of girlfriends have this argument with their partners, re the final decision for fertility control, tubal ligation vs vasectomy.

All of their partners have in the end gone had the snip, to spare their wives the pain, and as finally taking a share of the whole fertility work.

Never have I heard an argument about how reabsorbing all that sperm causes an autoimmune response and increases the chances of prostate cancer.

Weird argument.

So after Helena being pregnant with 8 children, laboring, birthing, breast feeding etc, Currawong couldn’t man up for a vasectomy?

Never impressed with men who put their partners through a hospital surgical procedure, when another solution is so much less invasive and has less recovery time, rather than finally taking one hard aspect of fertility and fertility control for themselves.

----

respectfully to Other Sarah….I have worked in healing for 14 years, and have found that every man with a vasectomy has many problems related to it. Sperm are made constantly in great numbers. To block their drainage causes an autoimmune response, where the man has to internally destroy and digest his own sperm. I read today that a study has found that men with vasectomy are much more likely to get prostate cancer, and the aggressive form at that. To cut and cauterise the tubes is ‘damaging’ but can be better managed long term, as one egg is released per month until menopause, and easily disintegrates.

http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cancer/ne ... ate-cancer

Here's the link to WebMD. The study was released 7 July 2014. Almost 50,000 American men were studied over a 24 year period.

25% of them had a vasectomy and showed a 10% greater incidence of prostate cancer of any degree and a 56% increased chance of fatal prostate cancer. And the younger they were when they had the vasectomy, the greater the risk.

:roll: on the vasectomy/ligation discussion on Lauren's post.

That study showed that having a vasectomy increased relative risk (a very different thing from absolute risk) for prostate cancer and not by a huge amount. Currawong's not young by any measure. He could've had the snip in less than a day, and Hellena could've still had her ceremony without a hospital stay. Vasectomies are safer fullstop. Day surgery under local anaesthetic is always safer than major surgery under general anaesthetic. The usual bullshit woo from the 'healer' about autoimmune conditions, retaining sperm. Bullshit.

I have only given birth to 25% as many children as Hellena has, and when we decided not to have any more my partner readily went to the doc and had the snip, commenting that I'd had enough medical procedures and he'd had none. 3 hours worth of his time, a bit of swelling and bed rest, and he marked the occasion ceremonially with a bottle of Chivas Regal (but no blog post).

Any bets Currawong smoked a ceremonial bucket bong despite making fuckall physical sacrifices on this occasion?

BTW love these hippies. Let a real doctor and anaesthetist do the practical work of safely terminating your fertility, but then the realllly important work of culturally appropriating from indigenous Australian culture (on land belonging to someone else, who conveniently cut the grass before they used it) and Malaysian women who aren't lucky enough to have access to safe fertility control is what gets celebrated.

Passport photos of the girls up on Facebook today. Ignoring the really bad hair and the terrible facial expressions you have to have for passport photos, those four girls are really pretty. In most of Lauren's posts I am so caught up looking at the terrible clothes they wear and conditions in which they live, I have never really noticed how lovely the girls are. The second girl (Callista?) looks cheeky, even when not allowed to smile. Oh, how I wish I could gather the four if them up and bring them home with me.

:roll: on the vasectomy/ligation discussion on Lauren's post.

That study showed that having a vasectomy increased relative risk (a very different thing from absolute risk) for prostate cancer and not by a huge amount. Currawong's not young by any measure. He could've had the snip in less than a day, and Hellena could've still had her ceremony without a hospital stay. Vasectomies are safer fullstop. Day surgery under local anaesthetic is always safer than major surgery under general anaesthetic. The usual bullshit woo from the 'healer' about autoimmune conditions, retaining sperm. Bullshit.

I have only given birth to 25% as many children as Hellena has, and when we decided not to have any more my partner readily went to the doc and had the snip, commenting that I'd had enough medical procedures and he'd had none. 3 hours worth of his time, a bit of swelling and bed rest, and he marked the occasion ceremonially with a bottle of Chivas Regal (but no blog post).

Any bets Currawong smoked a ceremonial bucket bong despite making fuckall physical sacrifices on this occasion?

BTW love these hippies. Let a real doctor and anaesthetist do the practical work of safely terminating your fertility, but then the realllly important work of culturally appropriating from indigenous Australian culture (on land belonging to someone else, who conveniently cut the grass before they used it) and Malaysian women who aren't lucky enough to have access to safe fertility control is what gets celebrated.

The blind self righteous hypocrisy of the alternative community (in which I was raised) is breathtaking and has always irritated me immensely. I don't care if they want to live that lifestyle, but doing so whilst looking down smirkingly at the poor blinded mainstream conformists who enable said lifestyle is a bit much. And such a homogenous, community, with overwhelmingly white middle class backgrounds, priding itself on its non conformity is laughable.

Passport photos of the girls up on Facebook today. Ignoring the really bad hair and the terrible facial expressions you have to have for passport photos, those four girls are really pretty. In most of Lauren's posts I am so caught up looking at the terrible clothes they wear and conditions in which they live, I have never really noticed how lovely the girls are. The second girl (Callista?) looks cheeky, even when not allowed to smile. Oh, how I wish I could gather the four if them up and bring them home with me.

Yeah, they are really cute in those photos, but its something we usually don't notice because of all the dirt and neglect. Theyre probably the best photos I have seen of them-usually the first thing I see is the danger, bad hair and clothes, bare feet, neglect...but even their hair doesn't look that bad in these pictures (if some parts were a bit more even).

Shame on Lauren for not giving them regular baths, not getting them to brush their teeth or hair and letting them chop eachother's hair off.

I wonder if she got/has to get david's consent to get passports and leave the country as they are separated, or if he doesn't get a say because of where he is being held.

Also WTF is this traditionalwisdom.com.au/placenta-encapsulation1.html

(The Doula who did Hellenas womb thing).

I am not a family lawyer, though I did study it a couple of decades ago. I doubt that David has any parental rights at this point. An ex in law of mine lost the right to make decisions for his kids when he refused to medicate his ADHD son or to maintain his hearing impaired daughter''s hearing aids. I am pretty sure that murder would be a no brainer for the family court.

I can't get my kids passports without my ex husband's signature -my custody has never been formalised by a court (long story). I think Lauren would have to apply to have David's rights terminated, and given that he hasn't been convicted of any crime and is currently mentally ill, I'm not sure they would be terminated - I think it's more likely someone would be appointed to represent him in decisions about the children until he was capable of doing so.

If Lauren did apply to have his rights terminated the court would look at all the family circumstances - and I don't think Lauren would want that - it would almost certainly bring her back into contact with DOCS because someone would be appointed to represent the children.

It's more likely that a family member (perhaps even Lauren) has his power of attorney.

Archived