IGNORED

Marth Looks for Dresses

nelliebelle1197

The "Mes wants ones too" thing" is twee and annoying and self-consciously quirky, but it disturbed me more on a practical level. What does the typical woman do when she wants an article of clothing? Buy it. Or save up to buy it. Or make it, if she has those skills. Having to passive-aggressively wheedle for a damned dress on a family blog at her age is just sad. It's like fundies don't grow up until they're grandparents. Hell, sometimes the women don't even grow up then.

Lady Lydia's crafting projects spring to mind...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lady Lydia's crafting projects spring to mind...

I did have her in mind when I wrote that. :lol: Lady Lydia isn't the only one, though. Learned helplessness seems to be quite a thing among the feminine elect. Even when they know how to do something, they sometimes pretend not to to seem more womanly, i.e., incompetent.

I did have her in mind when I wrote that. :lol: Lady Lydia isn't the only one, though. Learned helplessness seems to be quite a thing among the feminine elect. Even when they know how to do something, they sometimes pretend not to to seem more womanly, i.e., incompetent.

"Learned helplessness" - I like that. Funny thing. These type of fundies think women in past centuries were simply helpless and try to emulate that; they do not understand that very few women in history had the luxury of helplessness and those who did often fought against societal constructs of womanhood. Besides, Lydia and Addie would likely not have been to the manor born. Most people were not.

"Learned helplessness" - I like that. Funny thing. These type of fundies think women in past centuries were simply helpless and try to emulate that; they do not understand that very few women in history had the luxury of helplessness and those who did often fought against societal constructs of womanhood. Besides, Lydia and Addie would likely not have been to the manor born. Most people were not.

So many of them fail to realize that. The average women of 1890 was lucky if she had a single servant to help with the heavy and constant work of feeding a family and keeping a house warm and whole. A quick look at home economics guides from even as recent as 1915 show that labor was constant. Making gelatin involved boiling calve's feet or pounding fish cartilage. Doing laundry was an all-day affair. Cooking involved using a labor-intensive and sometimes dangerous stove. When a woman was ill, she kept working because there was nobody to nurse the nurse.

I still think maintaining a house can be a full-time job, at least if you have very high standards and do a lot of canning, baking, gardening, clothes-making, etc., but when these silly bloggers think that sewing a strip of lace to a dress or making spaghetti is somehow heroic... I dunno, man. :cray-cray:

So many of them fail to realize that. The average women of 1890 was lucky if she had a single servant to help with the heavy and constant work of feeding a family and keeping a house warm and whole. A quick look at home economics guides from even as recent as 1915 show that labor was constant. Making gelatin involved boiling calve's feet or pounding fish cartilage. Doing laundry was an all-day affair. Cooking involved using a labor-intensive and sometimes dangerous stove. When a woman was ill, she kept working because there was nobody to nurse the nurse.

I still think maintaining a house can be a full-time job, at least if you have very high standards and do a lot of canning, baking, gardening, clothes-making, etc., but when these silly bloggers think that sewing a strip of lace to a dress or making spaghetti is somehow heroic... I dunno, man. :cray-cray:

I mended some school clothes and made pasta for dinner last night, and I feel pretty damn heroic. But then, I also worked in the office all day after sending the kids off to public school.....

I mended some school clothes and made pasta for dinner last night, and I feel pretty damn heroic. But then, I also worked in the office all day after sending the kids off to public school.....

You definitely deserve a Major Award!

buyalegonline-125x300.jpg

Did Lady Lydia's evil twin make that from old dollar store mannequin parts?

Did Lady Lydia's evil twin make that from old dollar store mannequin parts?

Oh, hush now! That's the "major award" won by Darren McGavin's character in A Christmas Story, and it is Art!

Oh, hush now! That's the "major award" won by Darren McGavin's character in A Christmas Story, and it is Art!

It's Italian for godsakes!

And very fray-gee-ly! :lol:

Well, I think we've come full circle, since fray-gee-ly sounds like something Addie would write on the blog!

• 3 weeks later...

I think their betrothal has been longer than all of her sisters' put together. They could be be working on her second pgcy by now.

Its usually 3 months at most.

I still can't believe Andrew, who has a house isn't courting/married off. Unless the house needs a lot of work? But that didn't stop Kressant and Michael who took 6-7 years to move into theirs from the apartments. And the MK apartment should be empty now anyway.

Tayte and Martha's parents chose the wedding date. That's so weird.

I think they had a long engagement because Tayte was so young and he didn't have a house or job.

No no no! GOD chose the date, of course! The Almighty Mortons can't simply make a decision based off of what works well for the schedules of all involved; no, Ma & Pa must ~*pray on it*~ and have the Alexander parents separately ~*pray on it*~ and if they come back with the same date, it means God Himself took time out of reading His Holy Inbox full of requests from people with actual problems and dilemmas in their lives to bless October Fucking 25th for the Manchild and his Womb-to-be. I imagine these people must fervently ~*pray on it*~ before deciding how many sheets of toilet paper to use when wiping.

What the fuck was that? The families have to have a dinner with every fucking member of the family to pray on a date? Then let the parents decide which one and oh, isn't it special they chose the same date?

I may be sick. Do the parents sit at the foot of the bed on the wedding night to make sure the marriage is consummated? The depth of involvement and control these people go to for the weddings of their offspring is just plain creepy.

Bets on whether this date-selection soiree involved discussion of Martha's ovarian cycles? Without her knowledge, of course, because Daddy won't explain the Curse of Blood to her until October 24th.

No no no! GOD chose the date, of course! The Almighty Mortons can't simply make a decision based off of what works well for the schedules of all involved; no, Ma & Pa must ~*pray on it*~ and have the Alexander parents separately ~*pray on it*~ and if they come back with the same date, it means God Himself took time out of reading His Holy Inbox full of requests from people with actual problems and dilemmas in their lives to bless October Fucking 25th for the Manchild and his Womb-to-be. I imagine these people must fervently ~*pray on it*~ before deciding how many sheets of toilet paper to use when wiping.

In other news, Adeline was a bridesmaid. Again. She looks lovely, prettier than the bride. Oh, I wish a husband, fair and tall, to ride away into golden breathless sunset with dearest Addie....

Bless her dear heart.

Pardon my overly-analytical fundy stalking, but I've been curious about the (comparatively) LOOOOOOONG engagement that Martha has enjoyed. This, coupled with the oddly delayed spew of posts in early Spring this year that covered events going back several months, make me wonder if the family had doubts about the courtship. There just seems to be some deliberate obfuscation in play on the blog regarding the relationship.

According to the blog today (not accounting for anything back-posted), the engagement was officially announced first in mid-November. The 16th, to be exact. Addie said that "Today was beautiful" because "a certain boy" asked Martha "a certain question", clearly on that day. No posts follow for a month, until mid-December. Then, Addie follows up with an engagement photo-spread and says that Tayte came over and asked Martha to marry him on a "blue sky afternoon in October." So, we have an odd melange of dates presented as the engagement day, and a surprising amount of quiet surrounding something that warranted two concomitant blog posts... but nearly a month apart.

The blog is quiet again through the new year, until March. A flurry of posts come from Addie's tortured pen at that point, detailing events from the Fall, Christmas, and late Winter, including several posts that feature pictures and comments about the courtin' Mortons. This is doubly odd since a brief survey of the blog going back to 2010 (the first full year of bloggy goodness at that location) suggests that January, February and March are usually among the busiest months for posts for the family. I'll throw one more crazed stick of kindling on my flaming pile of conspiracy: Martha's mother was making progress on her wedding dress according to Adeline's post on March 26. Then, on June 9, they organized a hunting party and purchased one from a boutique.

The dress thing doesn't mean much. Maybe she changed her mind about what she wanted, or maybe Mama Morton felt unequal to the task. But the uncommon silences and bulky, chronologically awkward posts that feature Tayte and Martha make me wonder. If they'd been married quickly at the start of the year, it would all make sense. But the long engagement, plus complete change in direction on the dress, plus delays in reporting innocuous family events that included the couple give me pause. My theory is that Tayte and Martha got engaged, but then Tayte changed his mind. Maybe his parents were concerned, maybe it was something else. The Mortons rally around the couple and quietly force them back together resulting in a reluctance to publish anything that may later be regretted/redacted. Hence, all of the stilted re-caps of family events. Nothing said until something is certain. Maybe?

I'll throw one more crazed stick of kindling on my flaming pile of conspiracy: Martha's mother was making progress on her wedding dress according to Adeline's post on March 26. Then, on June 9, they organized a hunting party and purchased one from a boutique.

?

There were instagram posts from friends of theirs about the wedding dress hunting in Jan. that match the posts on the blog so in that case I think the picture post just came much later than the actual event. All the dresses were very worldly looking and it probably needed alterations, which I am guessing Mrs. Morton is doing herself for Martha.

I've wondered for awhile now if the Morton's haven't started limiting the bloggining/internet time to punish the girls for wanting things they are not allowed, the snowboarding trip debacle seemed to be the start of a lack of updates.

There were instagram posts from friends of theirs about the wedding dress hunting in Jan. that match the posts on the blog so in that case I think the picture post just came much later than the actual event. All the dresses were very worldly looking and it probably needed alterations, which I am guessing Mrs. Morton is doing herself for Martha.

I've wondered for awhile now if the Morton's haven't started limiting the bloggining/internet time to punish the girls for wanting things they are not allowed, the snowboarding trip debacle seemed to be the start of a lack of updates.

I missed this- tell me about the debacle!

If I recall correctly, the Mortons met the Alexanders fairly recently, the Alexander headship noticed Martha and told Tayte to court her. So the families did not know each other as well as Mortons and Smiths and Sanderses knew each other. The Alexanders had recently moved to the area from out of state. Their older kids have Google+ accounts where they post (albeit mostly teabaggy anti-abortion posts and the like), which does not seem like something the Smortons would be allowed to do. Perhaps the families have somewhat different views on courtship and theology? Tayte is the first of his siblings to become engaged. Perhaps the father decided it's ridiculous for these 2 kids to get married barely knowing each other?

Archived