IGNORED

My recent JW encounter

lilwriter85

I started house and pet sitting for my parents on Wednesday. I will be staying here until next Saturday. Anyway, the Jehovah's Witnesses stopped by yesterday. It was a man and a woman. The woman introduced herself and said she knew my mom from high school. I was friendly and I mentioned that my parents are progressive Catholics, in hopes they would leave quickly. The woman said that they speak to people of all faiths. She then asked me if I pray and I said that I was an atheist. She said, "Oh ok" and then they left.. I had encountered a JW at my home about a year ago, but it was a very brief encounter because that the other woman was promoting some online streaming conference.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had the same experience many times. Telling them I'm catholic does not scare them off.

No, they have a book that is all about overcoming all sorts of objections. They are also taught how to overcome them. So they will often have a response for about anything you say. I know they even used to go to doors that say "No Soliciting" since they are not actually selling anything.

One of them tried to argue with me about my no proselytizing sign.

Tell them you're Mormon, like I do. They'll stop going to your house altogether. One of my friends from high school is a Mormon, and she told me about this. One of my best friends now is ex-JW, and she told me the same thing. There's a deep-seeded hatred between the two.

Yes there is DGayle, also an ex-JW here. I think because the both do door to door work. Not many other groups do that, or are at least known for doing that.

I just tell them I really dig not dying from loss of blood because I refused a transfusion...

We have gotten both JWs and Mormons here. The JWs, I tell them that I'm just about ready to sacrifice the goat and they're welcome to come help. The Mormons...I tell them I can't get into a religion that believes that God fucked Mary to get Jesus...

My mother is the best when it's time to deal with JW. I've not had to face any myself though.

Once she opened the door to a young JW couple and they had a baby with them. The baby actually opened his arms towards my mother and she asked if she could take the baby in her arms. The parents said yes, but were very surprised about it. Then they asked my mom if she knew the Bible. She said ''yes, I've read it through and through''. Again, they seemed to be quite astonished. My mother laughed and told me that maybe it was hard for JW to understand how baby could be so friendly with a heathen like her. xD

They come to our nborhood all the time.They're annoying.They litter up the front porch with their pamplets,and don't take no for an answer.

IMO the only reason they're trolling is to get converts so as to provide more $$$ for their place of 'worship'.

Last week my hub was taking a nap when they knocked.1/2 asleep he yelled "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT?!" LOL. He opened the door and doesn't even recall what he said,which he's sure was not quite nice. :P

In Chicago they have been out in full force like I've never seen. They stand outside train stations and other public areas with a shelf of Watchtowers. They don't bother anyone at all...they only speak unless spoken to.

In Chicago they have been out in full force like I've never seen. They stand outside train stations and other public areas with a shelf of Watchtowers. They don't bother anyone at all...they only speak unless spoken to.

I noticed this same thing when I went to a local farmer's market. I had known the guy but he ignored me. I left many years ago, this seems to be a bit of a new approach that they are waiting till people speak to them. When I was in we were encouraged to approach people. They still knock on the doors though.

I have an ugly housedress with multicolor flourescent flowers on it that seems to work quite nicely at scaring off Jehovah's Witnesses. Last time, a JW woman came to the door with two little girls in tow. A pipe had exploded in our bathroom, workers were coming in and out, my kid was in the house with a nasty stomach illness, and I was wearing said ugly dress with my hair up in a messy knot. My face was bright red, I was all sweaty, and when I answered the door, I was expecting one of the workers. I saw her and growled "WHAT?" The lady took one look at me and said, "We'll drop by another time." :lol: I never saw her again.

I got the JW's to quit showing up by answering the door while wearing one of my blood drive t-shirts, as it was obvious that I support blood transfusions by having donated blood. I've noticed that the Mormons tend to leave me and others alone, as there is a missionary apartment in the neighborhood, but they've never showed up. In fact, the only times I see those missionaries are when they ride their bikes past me, or they happen to be shopping on their day off.

Tell them you're Mormon, like I do. They'll stop going to your house altogether. One of my friends from high school is a Mormon, and she told me about this. One of my best friends now is ex-JW, and she told me the same thing. There's a deep-seeded hatred between the two.

The Mormon missionaries we used to feed (because we're nice and it's hard to be young and away from home for the first time and getting verbally abused and having doors slammed in your face all the time) told us the same thing.

(I say used to feed because they left the area, otherwise we wouldn't have stopped. We're atheists with no intention of converting, but we genuinely enjoyed having them over, cooking for them, and giving them a safe place to relax and be themselves, not just missionaries.)

Maybe I'll try that. I have wondered what Mormon mommy celebs like NieNie would do if a JW showed up at their Provo home.

I have never had a Mormon missionary come to my home. But I have seen them in public places. I saw two of them at a Target store around Christmas. I wouldn't mind giving Mormon missionaries some food if they ever come to my home. I have read up on Mormon missions and I know some have to deal with not having much money or food during their missions. Cannelle were you the same poster who gave Mormon missionaries bottled water and granola bars? If, you aren't, I give you and that other poster credit for being kind to those young men.

I have a friend who was JW throughout most of her childhood and I vaguely recall her mentioning that JWs have to fill quota hours. I feel bad for them on that.

Aight. Story time. My roommate's best friend did this.

They were painting their house, god knows why, but they were painting an accent wall red one day with some friends, having a few beers, etc. One of them noticed that two mormon missionaries were doing a circuit (up one side of the street and down the other).

Cue the grabbing of the paint tarp, painting a pentagram, and flipped a bunch of furniture over. They also farmed chickens in the back yard.

So the Mormons come in and they invite them in. Offer them a beer and then, "So we were about to sacrifice this chicken to the dark lord Satan, would you two like the do the honors?" and plop a laying chicken in their laps.

Mormons bolted out. Fast.

Complex prank only viable by the rare circumstances of a red accent wall.

The Mormon missionaries we used to feed (because we're nice and it's hard to be young and away from home for the first time and getting verbally abused and having doors slammed in your face all the time) told us the same thing.

(I say used to feed because they left the area, otherwise we wouldn't have stopped. We're atheists with no intention of converting, but we genuinely enjoyed having them over, cooking for them, and giving them a safe place to relax and be themselves, not just missionaries.)

There are two young Mormon missionaries that i've seen coming and going for quite some time in my neighborhood. Yesterday we noticed them going home to an apartment complex and a fairly nice one. I believe the families pay for the support of their missionary sons, so perhaps at least one of the boys is from a prosperous family.

Good on you for feeding kids. You may have been the only non Mormons they will have any exposure to.

We're not in an area where the door-knockers are missionaries. We've got a very large temple near us, and that temple regularly sends the young people out canvassing as practice for stuff they'll do later.

lilwriter85, they are expected to meet a quota of converts.

I just tell them I really dig not dying from loss of blood because I refused a transfusion...

I've used that one. "I donate blood religiously because of a rare form of anemia that runs in my family. I won't even distantly entertain theories on a religion that would expect me to watch loved ones and descendents die a slow death."

My JW cousins no longer try. Although my circle of mormon relatives just grew--at least they're polite and just try to 'set a good example'

We get JWs several times a month, and Mormons at least monthly here. I had a very cordial talk with two Mormon boys once about theology on our front lawn. When I tried to invite them in, they said they could only come in the house if my husband were home. They tried to call back, but my husband was never interested in meeting them.

The JWs leave us alone for some reason. I once spent about 15 minutes with two men at the front door, dueling bible verses with them. The younger one was apparently out of his depth, because the older man took over after about five minutes. I invited them to come back (to give me a chance to bone up on what they believe and how to respectfully debate them), and they set a time for he following Saturday. I had cookies ready and everything, and the cowards never showed up! :lol:

Archived