IGNORED

Formerly Baptist Family of 12 Becomes Amish, Then Jewish

Ralar

I went to school with a McJunkin. I wonder if there's any relation. I. too. worry how the multiple conversions affected the older children.

No snark intended: I'm not familiar with Orthodoxy. Will the family be able to use electricity now (except on Sabbath)?

Yup they will be able to use electricity during the week, but not from sundown Friday to sundown on Saturday. I believe it is okay to leave a light on during that time, or keep a pot of food warm on hot plate. ...but I'm not 100% sure on that. I think there are several groups within the orthodox community whose observance varies.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup they will be able to use electricity during the week, but not from sundown Friday to sundown on Saturday. I believe it is okay to leave a light on during that time, or keep a pot of food warm on hot plate. ...but I'm not 100% sure on that. I think there are several groups within the orthodox community whose observance varies.

That's correct. Orthodox Jews won't do anything directly to start/extinguish/adjust a fire during the Sabbath (and electricity is considered analogous to fire), but they can benefit from something that was turned on or programmed prior to the start of the Sabbath. So, lights can stay on or be on a timer, crock pots can be used, etc.

Archived